What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phillies/Cardinals NLDS (1 Viewer)

Tough loss for Philly. Doc Halladay threw a great game but Carpenter was even better. I wasnt paying the closest attention, but I have a hard time remembering Philly having any runners in scoring position.

Eerie to see Howard go down on the last play (likely with a sprained ankle). Not that he wont be 100% come next April, but I figured this team has about a 3-5 yr window to conceivably win 1+ WS because of Rollins, Chutley, Ibanez, and Howard's age. Maybe I threw a few too many years on there.

Tough loss for Philly. Doc Halladay threw a great game but Carpenter was even better. I wasnt paying the closest attention, but I have a hard time remembering Philly having any runners in scoring position.Eerie to see Howard go down on the last play (likely with a sprained ankle). Not that he wont be 100% come next April, but I figured this team has about a 3-5 yr window to conceivably win 1+ WS because of Rollins, Chutley, Ibanez, and Howard's age. Maybe I threw a few too many years on there.
Rollins and Ibanez are free agents. Howard's contract is an albatross. Utley's injuries are a concern. I'm not saying it's impossible going forward but I think the past two years were the sweet spot of their window.

I like the Phillies, surprising for a Pittsburgh guy, but Im also glad that STL won because I want the Brewers in the WS and I think they have a better shot vs. STL

Tough loss for Philly. Doc Halladay threw a great game but Carpenter was even better. I wasnt paying the closest attention, but I have a hard time remembering Philly having any runners in scoring position.Eerie to see Howard go down on the last play (likely with a sprained ankle). Not that he wont be 100% come next April, but I figured this team has about a 3-5 yr window to conceivably win 1+ WS because of Rollins, Chutley, Ibanez, and Howard's age. Maybe I threw a few too many years on there.
Rollins and Ibanez are free agents. Howard's contract is an albatross. Utley's injuries are a concern. I'm not saying it's impossible going forward but I think the past two years were the sweet spot of their window.
Exactly. I honestly thought it was a 3 yr window (including this year, before the loss), but I said 3-5 so Philly fans didnt start jumping off bridges. Either way, their chances arent getting any better by the year.

Miller vs. Anheuser-Busch. I wonder if the folks that own these companies even know they are facing off for a trip to the World Series.

I like the Phillies, surprising for a Pittsburgh guy, but Im also glad that STL won because I want the Brewers in the WS and I think they have a better shot vs. STL
The Phillies wanted the Cardinals as well. Careful what you wish for - Brewers probably have the better talent, but the Cards have a nice chemistry and a never say die attitude. Hope its a great series. I don't hate the Brewers, unlike the hatred I felt for the Reds (mainly the fans - and the idiot Cueto).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a 53 year old Cardinal fan and that may be the best pitching I have ever seen. Gibson eseqe

The Phillies wanted the Cardinals as well. Careful what you wish for - Brewers probably have the better talent, but the Cards have a nice chemistry and a never say die attitude. Hope its a great series. I don't hate the Brewers, unlike the hatred I felt for the Reds (mainly the fans - and the idiot Cueto).
I dont care if they win that much :lol:Basically just pulling for them because their a small market underdog. Frankly, since the Packers beat the Steelers, my favorite scenario would probably be similar to Philly's fate in this game. They have a 7 game series that the Brewers lose in a heartbreaker bottom of the 9th where Ryan Braun goes down running to 1st base because he tore his achilles.

Where does this rank in upsets? The fact that Halladay, Lee, & Hamels pitched 4 games in a 5 game series is stunning IMO

Love Carpenter. No praise of him in that game could be superfluous. Wow. Just magnificent.

The defensive plays in the eighth inning were also simply incredible. Playoff baseball is fantastic.

Where does this rank in upsets? The fact that Halladay, Lee, & Hamels pitched 4 games in a 5 game series is stunning IMO
You could have gotten good odds a month ago on a three team parlay that Philadelphia, Boston and the Yankees would all miss out on the LCS

Rollins, Ibanez and Madson (with Boras as agent) became FA within the past hour; Hamels will be FA after 2012, with that being his final arbitration year. Pence is arbitration eligible thru 2013. Oswalt is a club option for 2012 with a $2 million buyout. Team payroll is near the luxury tax and ownership has said that is the ceiling.

Phillies window is just 2012, assuming Howard is healthy. Maybe. Consider that the Braves have the much better farm system, it is only a matter of time before they eclipse the Phils. Plus, consider that Washington is putting together a pretty good ballclub as well, so they are not going to be the easy foil they have been the past five years.

My gut is that this team is good enough to beat teams with the starting pitching in 2012, but if one of the three horses go down, you are easily looking at missing the playoffs for the final year of the window. Alternatively, if you miss Howard for a long stretch in 2012, unless Dom Brown makes a light year jump during the offseason and Mayberry (replacing Howard at 1B) doesn't regress, this offense won't scare anyone.

My prediction for 2012 is that this team will struggle to be much above .500 with a number of 3-2 losses along the way, with Howard making his season debut sometime in June/July after an achilies injury (pure speculation on this last piece from me).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread