What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phrases/terms that need to be retired immediately (3 Viewers)

When you simply can't resist one of those links and enter a slideshow, nine out of those ten big arrows you see that they want you to think go to the next item but really are to some ad.

When you simply can't resist one of those links and enter a slideshow, nine out of those ten big arrows you see that they want you to think go to the next item but really are to some ad.
:lol: I was thinking the same thing earlier. Sneaky bastards.

Using the term "Big" before an industry as a negative connotation. I saw a billboard yesterday that said "Will we continue to allow Big Soda to poison our children?" Really? Big Soda? Whoever came up with that is a jackoff and so is anyone who uses "Big" in that sense.

The following internet memes:

"That awkward moment when..."

"When you get it."

"A Florida man shoved ice into his rectum and you wont believe what happened next..."
While we're at it... "the struggle is real". Maybe I have too many 20-somethings on my news feed. Wife's cousins and what-not. And that damn laughing/crying emoji. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard it made me cry. Especially over some dumb statement on Facebook.

Scoresman said:
Using the term "Big" before an industry as a negative connotation. I saw a billboard yesterday that said "Will we continue to allow Big Soda to poison our children?" Really? Big Soda? Whoever came up with that is a jackoff and so is anyone who uses "Big" in that sense.
Every time I hear "Big Soda" I think of this guy with bubbles coming out of his top.

http://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2015/01/23/38f845b5-4fdb-41c6-9b6b-783ab9216c42/resize/770x578/d2c33ced2c71d63d5056e627c8935ca6/koolaid.jpg

"Is your __________ killing you??!? Tune in at 5 to find out. Now back to your 6am news"

seriously? something is killing me and they wont tell me for 11 more hours? I could be dead by then!!!!! WTF?

these teasers are really ridiculous and need to stop

"Is your __________ killing you??!? Tune in at 5 to find out. Now back to your 6am news"

seriously? something is killing me and they wont tell me for 11 more hours? I could be dead by then!!!!! WTF?

these teasers are really ridiculous and need to stop
Network news has to do just about anything to attract viewers that are under 80. It doesn't make it right.

I am at the point when I hear "critical" in the business setting I have to fight the urge to want to punch someone in the face.

Using "are" instead of "is" when talking about a single team or country. Examples:

Mexico are preparing for their match against Guatemala.

San Francisco are considering cutting Colin Kaepernick.

This has to stop. It drives me ####### crazy. Mexico is one country, therefore singular. I dont care if it's technically correct in that it can be considered a collective noun. It sounds wrong as hell.

Using "myself" as a subject.

It sounds bad enough when it's used in spots where "me" would be better, but in place of "I" it really hurts my ears.

I don't know if it's being used that way more commonly lately or not, but I've been noticing it a lot more for some reason.

Using "are" instead of "is" when talking about a single team or country. Examples:

This has to stop. It drives me ####### crazy. Mexico is one country, therefore singular. I dont care if it's technically correct in that it can be considered a collective noun. It sounds wrong as hell.
I think this is a British thing.

Also in Britain, they never talk about whether a player is healthy, but only about whether he is fit. Todd Gurley will start for the Rams as soon as he returns to fitness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using "Lady" as prefix to denote a women's sports team. Really? "How precious is that?" Never mind most D1 female athletes would kick the skippy of most of the couch taters here ;)

e.g "The Lady [fill in your college mascot here] basketball team"

Nobody ever says "The Man [mascots]".

Hokies basketball team & Hokies women's basketball team is perfectly acceptable (even if the actual teams are pretty bad right now... GO TERPS!)

Who does this? Aside from people under 13 and filthy immigrants.

Also in Britain, they never talk about whether a player is healthy, but only about whether he is fit. Todd Gurley will start for the Rams as soon as he returns to fitness.
What is wrong with that? It's possible to healthy but not fit.

Fitness is probably the more appropriate term than health. Have to be careful though as Brits also include "fit" as synonymous with sexy.

it's used synonymous with how we use "health", not about being "in shape". Don't know if that changes your opinion... myself, I aren't care.

it's used synonymous with how we use "health", not about being "in shape". Don't know if that changes your opinion... myself, I aren't care.
TheIronSheik are considering liking this post.

Fitness is probably the more appropriate term than health. Have to be careful though as Brits also include "fit" as synonymous with sexy.
That explains why their sports are so ####ed up.

That explains why their sports are so ####ed up.
Cheap shots are acceptable if they're not stupid. Fail.

That sounds stupid, unless one uses a team mascot. Example: The 49ers are considering cutting Colin Kaepernick.

See? Much better.

That sounds stupid, unless one uses a team mascot. Example: The 49ers are considering cutting Colin Kaepernick.

See? Much better.
but stupid stanford with the color and not the bird always screws things up.

I see it occasionally in sports news articles but mostly in forum posts around the internet.

http://www.eruptsports.com/football/mexico-prepare-for-guatemala

To me, it should be Mexico prepareS for Guatemala. Drives me nuts.

I saw a guy on linkedin call himself a "Blue ocean" tech strategist

god, please no. stop

EDIT: I used to work with him and he's just a crappy project manager

Last edited by a moderator:
"Who has more fun than people?"

Using the term "my boo" has probably been mentioned in this thread but it still won't go away.

:kicksrock:

It means he deals with strategies in uncharted waters. All you see is a vast blue ocean but he sees a strategy. So hire him.

It means he deals with strategies in uncharted waters. All you see is a vast blue ocean but he sees a strategy. So hire him.
So we're supposed to believe he has a strategy for us when he can't even come up with a name for himself we can understand?

Users who are viewing this thread