What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Physics and astronomy thread (5 Viewers)

1st US landing on the moon in 50+ years appears compromised.

Rocket took off fine, but the lander had some issues after separation and engineers don't expect a soft landing on Feb 23

A 2nd US lander will also be on its way for Feb arrival.

Both are through private companies... The first time for that.
Is this Artemis?
I think that's the manned mission... This is something else and unmanned. I absolutely should have said that at the giddy up 😂

Peregrine flew on Monday as part of NASA's Commercial Lunar Payload Services (CLPS) program, which arranged to get five agency science instruments on the lander.

It was the first launch for CLPS, which aims to boost lunar research ahead of crewed visits to the moon via NASA's Artemis program later this decade. The next CLPS mission is targeted for next month, when Houston company Intuitive Machines' Nova-C will lift off atop a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.

I've been quiet about all of Ingenuitys recent flights. She's been going strong until... Thursdays Flight 72. They lost radio contact with her at as she was descending.

Digits crossed they can reestablish contact.

I've been quiet about all of Ingenuitys recent flights. She's been going strong until... Thursdays Flight 72. They lost radio contact with her at as she was descending.

They reestablished contact and determined it had landed upright... PHEW!!

Going to do a systems and spin test (may have already done this) and then hopefully back flight 73!

Going to do a systems and spin test (may have already done this) and then hopefully back flight 73!

Sad news to report:

Sad news to report:

Was just coming in to post this. :sad:

Damaged rotor, they think from bland terrain screwing up it's sensors.

Hoping for proof of concept with 1, maybe 5 flights... Instead- 72 freaking flights as an active partner to Percy. Flat out amazing.

RIP Ginny.

Mind blown. Though it would be an excuse for bad climate actors to keep acting, I would love to see us try this.
I gotta think Earth’s albedo is dropping faster than anything like this could possibly counter, but who knows
I just like that it’s weird. Would like to see them try it.

I was actually being serious... They nailed a very small landing window with their own new tech, just didn't quite stick the landing (faceplant).

I was actually being serious... They nailed a very small landing window with their own new tech, just didn't quite stick the landing (faceplant).
Well, I hope their technology is better than the audio technology i am getting on this live feed. I can barely hear it.

Well, I hope their technology is better than the audio technology i am getting on this live feed. I can barely hear it.
Huh... My audio has been fine. Meeting a friend for drinks - my ight jump back on for the landing
There's many different live streams on YouTube. Maybe another source might help.

The dude(ette) who hacked the NASA LIDAR into their landing control loop? In two hours? That person should have their salary doubled and get the closest parking spot to the door forever.

In NASA update currently underway, they believe the IM-1 was slightly tilted dropping at 6 mph vertically (wanted 2 mph) and 2mph horizontally (wanted no horizontal movement), caught a leg as it hit the surface and tipped over and it's now lying basically horizontal. Solar charging working and unit is 100% charged.

Last edited:
In NASA update currently underway, they believe the IM-1 was slightly tilted dropping at 6 mph vertically (wanted 2 mph) and 2mph horizontally (wanted no horizontal movement), caught a leg as it hit the surface and tipped over and it's now lying basically horizontal. Solar charging working and unit is 100% charged.
Damn lucky that the lander still works while lying on its side and hitting 3-4x faster than planned.

Damn lucky that the lander still works while lying on its side and hitting 3-4x faster than planned.
Yes, I think they said it was related to the "hack" that had to do with the LIDAR system ( they had to reprogram the guidance system and reboot it-the simulation test during the reprogramming didn't go well but in the end it worked ok). It didn't perform perfectly but got them down on to the surface. Sounded like all the payloads (12?) were still ok with it laying horizontal.)

The Einasto Supercluster is staggering in terms of its sheer size and mass. It contains the same mass as around 26 quadrillion suns (26 followed by 15 zeroes). This supercluster is so vast, in fact, that it would take a light signal 360 million years to travel from one side of it to the other.
So, in other words, it's 360m light years in diameter?

Will we see any of it in NYC? I see it goes through the upper corner of NY state for total.
So far it's looking like every major city in the totality area in New York area forecast for mostly sunny skies. New York City forecast is for clear weather too and you should be able to see about a 90-95% eclipse of the sun.

This site is the best one I've found to get the specific information for any particular area. You can zoom in and click on an exact location to get all the details for that spot. I'm in Ohio and my house falls right into the totality zone. Not the center of it, so only about a minute and a half of the full eclipse vs the almost four minutes in the center of the zone.

Posted this in the eclipse thread but figured I would drop it here too...

The planets will be in a convenient alignment during the eclipse. Jupiter and Venus should definitely be bright enough to see with the naked eye. Mars and Saturn are also good candidates to be able to see without any observational tools. Mercury, Jupiter, and Uranus should be roughly in the 10 O'clock direction from the sun. Venus, Neptune, Saturn, and Mars would be in the 4 O'clock direction. As an added bonus comet 12P/Pons-Brook should be passing through that region of the sky as well. The image below shows the arrangement for the eclipse...

https://starwalk.space/gallery/images/april-8-2024-alignment-1/1920x1080.jpg

If you just like the planetary alignments, the Venus, Neptune, Saturn and Mars alignment will be visible in its closest grouping tomorrow morning (4/4) just before sunrise. you do not need an eclipse for that show.

An interesting read on some extreme long distance repairs on Voyager:

Was going to post this also. Interesting how they split the code up.
Yeah those people are way too smart. Reminded me of some of the problem solving from The Martian.
They also look quite old... like these are the only FORTRAN people that are still working.

Users who are viewing this thread