What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pink Floyd Song Ranking Thread - Lists Due 5/1 (1 Viewer)

Who else here saw Pink Floyd live? I did, in 1994 at Arrowhead Stadium in KC on The Division Bell tour. It was amazing.
I've seen them 4 times, and the last time was in 1994. One of our friends smoked pot (he usually didn't), and he seemed to have a paranoid reaction, because he continuously kept saying, "I only touch people I know." It was so weird, and my seat was beside his. I told him I'm sure strangers would thank him for that, and I tried to get him to focus on the show. He finally stopped with that nuttiness, but it was like halfway through the concert. I haven't seen him in over 25 years, but a couple of my friends that were there remember his "I only touch people I know" very well. It was unforgettable.

@Anarchy99 what did you think of Killer Queen?
Well, we saw A band named Killer Queen but not THE band named Killer Queen. The long running one played last night in Baltimore. Not sure how there are two bands out there with the same exact name.

The band we saw wasn’t old enough to have been at it for three decades. They were still very good, though. They had three guys playing the part of Freddie, so it gave them a fuller sound with good harmonies. They had the right tone on the guitars and sounded pretty similar to the original band. There’s only one FM, and no one can be as good as him. Very entertaining overall.

@Anarchy99 what did you think of Killer Queen?
Well, we saw A band named Killer Queen but not THE band named Killer Queen. The long running one played last night in Baltimore. Not sure how there are two bands out there with the same exact name.

The band we saw wasn’t old enough to have been at it for three decades. They were still very good, though. They had three guys playing the part of Freddie, so it gave them a fuller sound with good harmonies. They had the right tone on the guitars and sounded pretty similar to the original band. There’s only one FM, and no one can be as good as him. Very entertaining overall.
Strange that they have the same name but glad it was good. It occurred to me that the cover band I was thinking of - and have seen - is Almost Queen, not Killer Queen. As with Floyd, there are a ton of cover bands and it’s sometimes hard to keep up.

I saw Australian Pink Floyd maybe 20 years ago and it was good. El Monstero is a local Floyd tribute band that does a handful of shows the last two weeks of the year here in St Louis, and they always put on a good show. A few longtime friends go and see it almost every year. I saw it once and it was good, but I can't see going to see tribute bands every year. My tinnitus means I have to pick and choose my concerts more carefully.
Australian PF is the one you want to see. David Gilmour endorses them, he has played with them also.

TBH, I haven't given much thought to making a list yet. The issue I will have is determining what would the most representative list be from a snapshot in time. I got into PF after Animals came out, remember picking up The Wall right when it was released, and then being a little underwhelmed grabbing The Final Cut on its release date. I liked but didn't love the DG version of the band, and based on the handful of lists that people have submitted so far, there may be others with similar opinions. Hard to tell much at this point, as I haven't received many lists yet.
As for making a list, there is the one that teenage me would have made, college age me would have made, young adult would have made, and one I might make today. Like with Led Zeppelin, I listened to PF so much that I typically shy away from their radio faves these days. I might only have one song on my list from DSOTM. I like all of the tracks, don't get me wrong, but my taste has gotten more finicky and more into some less popular songs over the years.

TBH, I haven't given much thought to making a list yet. The issue I will have is determining what would the most representative list be from a snapshot in time. I got into PF after Animals came out, remember picking up The Wall right when it was released, and then being a little underwhelmed grabbing The Final Cut on its release date. I liked but didn't love the DG version of the band, and based on the handful of lists that people have submitted so far, there may be others with similar opinions. Hard to tell much at this point, as I haven't received many lists yet.
As for making a list, there is the one that teenage me would have made, college age me would have made, young adult would have made, and one I might make today. Like with Led Zeppelin, I listened to PF so much that I typically shy away from their radio faves these days. I might only have one song on my list from DSOTM. I like all of the tracks, don't get me wrong, but my taste has gotten more finicky and more into some less popular songs over the years.
I have a similar overall take on then. As for the bolded, I will also have only a max 2 songs from DSOTM.

The other issue I will have is I generally throw on a concert to listen to vs. playing one of the studio albums. Definitely different vibes, nuances, and performances live vs. studio. Decisions, decisions. I also understand that many people prefer the tried and true studio masters. C'est la vie. Their whole catalog is just so good.

I feel you, but DSOTM may actually be better now. It aged really well. I always thought the Wall was pretty bad myself. I feel the same about the White album. A couple of monsters and a bunch of filler. I really wish I could have given DB more representation. Its the Dwight Evans of the catalog. Not a bad tune on it. As I type this I think I just heard some PF being played in Dodger Stadium. That's funny.

I always thought the Wall was pretty bad myself.
I don't know if I'd call it "bad," but it was the tipping point for the band becoming a vehicle for Waters and not a collective. Aside from its three radio songs, I find disc 2 to range from underwhelming to bad. Disc 1 I find to be mostly great, however.

The worst aspects of disc 2 were amplified on The Final Cut, which I find mostly unlistenable.

And I still wonder if in the MCU multi-verse if there is a website called MusicGuys where people post a lot about football.
I already played one PF record this morning. I may have to tweak my list at some point.

Last edited:
They may think about buying a football team.
When I saw Roger Waters on the Radio K.A.O.S. tour, he had radio deejay Jim Ladd (who is on the album as the DJ that Billy calls) and in between sets they staged a radio interview with Ladd and Waters. There was a "phone booth" where audience members could "call in" and ask a question. Some one asked Roger if he really wrote that poem as a school child, as portrayed in the movie. He laughed and said "no".

The Wall was my all-time favorite album for a long time (I have listened to it more than any other album ever in my life), but I do now feel that Dark Side of the Moon is better, and my tentative list has most of the Dark Side songs in my top 25, with The Wall getting 4-5. Granted, many concept albums have that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" thing going on, but Dark Side is just unbeatable.

The Wall was my all-time favorite album for a long time (I have listened to it more than any other album ever in my life), but I do now feel that Dark Side of the Moon is better, and my tentative list has most of the Dark Side songs in my top 25, with The Wall getting 4-5. Granted, many concept albums have that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" thing going on, but Dark Side is just unbeatable.
My inclusion of only one or two DSOTM songs has more to do with the difficulty in separating the songs rather than the album's prowess. For me, it's right up there as 1A/1B/1C with me alongside Animals and WYWH. The Wall on the other hand, I have a bit less affection for (albeit still killer) and will probably only have 1 or 2 from there as well for different reasons.

They may think about buying a football team.
When I saw Roger Waters on the Radio K.A.O.S. tour, he had radio deejay Jim Ladd (who is on the album as the DJ that Billy calls) and in between sets they staged a radio interview with Ladd and Waters. There was a "phone booth" where audience members could "call in" and ask a question. Some one asked Roger if he really wrote that poem as a school child, as portrayed in the movie. He laughed and said "no".
Ladd is a legend - got to listen to him quite a bit when I was living in L.A. in the early/mid '80s. Really cool voice.

I've mostly gone the other way. I used to think Dark Side was untouchable, and while there is no denying how good it is, it is still played so much that I mostly zone out on those songs nowadays. I doo crack a smile when I go visit my son at college and I still hear DSOTM blaring down the hall from his apartment.

Between The Wall album, movie soundtrack, immersion edition, and live performances, those seem more interesting to me these days. As I mentioned earlier, I listed to more live stuff than album stuff, and I still enjoy the DSOTM material, especially their earlier attempts and how the songs morphed and changed over time.

For those that are not aware, PF debuted DSOTM on 1972-01-20. The album dropped on 1973-03-01. They performed it live 80 times before the album was released. PF often played songs that people had no way of previously hearing at their shows (unless they went to one of their earlier gigs). By late 1974 into early 1975, their first set was usually SOYCD (both parts played in a row), Sheep, and Dogs. That must have been something, but I could see how that could annoy some people. People had to sit for an hour before they heard a song they recognized (they played all of DSOTM to start the second set).

As for The Wall tracks, there is probably too much filler for my liking, and it could have been one of the greatest single albums ever if they pared it down properly. I will forever enjoy the soundtrack version of Mother more, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, I am just rambling at this point . . .

For those that are not aware, PF debuted DSOTM on 1972-01-20. The album dropped on 1973-03-01. They performed it live 80 times before the album was released. PF often played songs that people had no way of previously hearing at their shows (unless they went to one of their earlier gigs). By late 1974 into early 1975, their first set was usually SOYCD (both parts played in a row), Sheep, and Dogs. That must have been something, but I could see how that could annoy some people. People had to sit for an hour before they heard a song they recognized (they played all of DSOTM to start the second set).
One of the many great things about the Pompeii film in 1972 was the footage of them still working out some of DSOTM before it was released.

As for The Wall tracks, there is probably too much filler for my liking, and it could have been one of the greatest single albums ever if they pared it down properly.
I've said this for years. Of course, it would lose much of the "concept" and the 1979 version of Roger Waters would never have allowed that.

One of the many great things about the Pompeii film in 1972 was the footage of them still working out some of DSOTM before it was released.
Yep, even On the Run, where they're messing about with electronics.

I used to think Dark Side was untouchable, and while there is no denying how good it is, it is still played so much that I mostly zone out on those songs nowadays.
Do people still listen to a lot of Classic rock radio? Whenever I hear people say things like they can't escape certain songs like "Stairway To Heaven" or the songs from "Dark Side of the Moon", I wonder where they are being "forced" to hear those songs. With streaming services now the norm, I can't remember the last time I didn't choose what songs I was listening to.

Even with Satellite radio users, they don't have to stick to limited song rotations like they did with celestial classic rock radio stations.

As for The Wall tracks, there is probably too much filler for my liking, and it could have been one of the greatest single albums ever if they pared it down properly.
I've said this for years. Of course, it would lose much of the "concept" and the 1979 version of Roger Waters would never have allowed that.
A single disc Wall album could have been . . .

- In The Flesh
- ABITH1 / THDOOL / ABITHW2
- Mother
- Empty Spaces / What Shall We Do Now / Young Lust
- Sexual Revolution
- Hey You
- Nobody Home
- Comfortably Numb
- Run Like Hell

I'd have to check the song times, but that would have ended up around 48:30. (I really like Sexual Revolution, which was one of the songs developed for The Wall but didn't make the album release.)

I used to think Dark Side was untouchable, and while there is no denying how good it is, it is still played so much that I mostly zone out on those songs nowadays.
Do people still listen to a lot of Classic rock radio? Whenever I hear people say things like they can't escape certain songs like "Stairway To Heaven" or the songs from "Dark Side of the Moon", I wonder where they are being "forced" to hear those songs. With streaming services now the norm, I can't remember the last time I didn't choose what songs I was listening to.

Even with Satellite radio users, they don't have to stick to limited song rotations like they did with celestial classic rock radio stations.
I am old school. I don't use a streaming service, I still listen to FM radio in the car, don't have satellite radio, and still play CDs. So I am often listening to whatever is played on the radio a lot . . . and whatever is being played at a store or in the mall (yes, I still prefer to shop in person than online). I realize that puts me in a huge minority, but that's how I roll.

A single disc Wall album could have been . . .

- In The Flesh
- ABITH1 / THDOOL / ABITHW2
- Mother
- Empty Spaces / What Shall We Do Now / Young Lust
- Sexual Revolution
- Hey You
- Nobody Home
- Comfortably Numb
- Run Like Hell

I'd have to check the song times, but that would have ended up around 48:30. (I really like Sexual Revolution, which was one of the songs developed for The Wall but didn't make the album release.)
- In The Flesh
- ABITHW1 / THDOOL / ABITHW2
- Mother
- Goodbye Blue Sky
- Empty Spaces / Young Lust
- One of My Turns
- ABITHW3
- Hey You
- Comfortably Numb
- Run Like Hell

He will love my list.
I am getting worried about how my eventual list will stack up to others. I never thought at my age I would suffer from list envy. Off the top, I think I'll end up with 8 songs that the studio versions are 10+ minutes (and probably close to that many additional songs that the live versions are 10+ minutes).

Last edited:
The Wall is too long and has too much filler, although I used to like the whole album almost straight through. I haven't listened to it straight through in decades though
I'm not a big fan of the DG Floyd albums, some decent songs but kind of blah overall.

Probably irrelevant, but I got 5 times as many lists back from LZ rankers in the first four hours than I have from PF rankers in a week. I can’t imagine there are that many more Led Zep fans on the boards than Floyd fans.

Probably irrelevant, but I got 5 times as many lists back from LZ rankers in the first four hours than I have from PF rankers in a week. I can’t imagine there are that many more Led Zep fans on the boards than Floyd fans.
I guess when people post non-LZ songs, making that list is easier. :-)

I'm on it and a few of us are involved with krista's worldwide song thread.

The Wall is too long and has too much filler
I don't find much, if any, filler at all - I will say the last 4 songs on the album are underwhelming and ant-climatic when compared to the rest of the album - but up until that point everything else is necessary to tell the story and great musically.

I don't find much, if any, filler at all - I will say the last 4 songs on the album are underwhelming and ant-climatic when compared to the rest of the album - but up until that point everything else is necessary to tell the story and great musically.
I like the end of The Wall. "The Trial/Outside The Wall" gives me goosebumps when I think of Roger's performance at the Berlin Wall in 1990 as the actual wall was being taken down then. https://youtu.be/dPGOqHG9bM0?list=PLQ3gEWZ0h48AR_0YUunpf9XkGd4lHiuw2&t=291

I was at the Berlin Wall just a month before that show, while backpacking through Europe, so that has always stuck with me.

I like the end of The Wall. "The Trial/Outside The Wall" gives me goosebumps when I think of Roger's performance at the Berlin Wall in 1990 as the actual wall was being taken down then. https://youtu.be/dPGOqHG9bM0?list=PLQ3gEWZ0h48AR_0YUunpf9XkGd4lHiuw2&t=291

I was at the Berlin Wall just a month before that show, while backpacking through Europe, so that has always stuck with me.
It's not that I don't like those songs - it's more in context to the rest of the album. Run Like Hell is so amazing, and then there's a hard drop-off comparatively and I find The Trial a bit annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread