What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pink Floyd Song Ranking Thread - Lists Due 5/1 (1 Viewer)

Atom Heart Mother to me is such an underrated album. Thoughts?

I have a couple from that album on my current list and it's been tough to knock them out so far.
While this sounds nice, two songs on a list of 87 songs tempers that enthusiasm a little bit. That being said, in my mental list (nothing on paper yet), I also have two ATM tracks on it (probably not the same as yours, but who knows).

I have a couple from that album on my current list and it's been tough to knock them out so far.
Atom Heart Mother reminds me of that movie where JDepp was a book buyer and the devil was involved. Then he mightve bangid the devil girl....maybe? Good times.

Last edited:

While this sounds nice, two songs on a list of 87 songs tempers that enthusiasm a little bit. That being said, in my mental list (nothing on paper yet), I also have two ATM tracks on it (probably not the same as yours, but who knows).
I’ve got three. 🐄

Speaking of AHM, haven’t seen @Fiddles around in ages.

The title suite doesn't hold together as well as their subsequent epics, but it's got some pretty great moments. The three mellow songs on side 2 each have their charms. The second half of side 2 is ... drugs.

Even though nothing from the Syd days made my top 25, I do enjoy quite a few songs from his era. I think the debut album is a bit of a mess, but the box set in the 90s had that early singles CD, and I liked most of those songs a lot. Arnold Layne, Apples and Oranges, Paint Box, Candy and a Currant Bun, etc. Had we gone with a top 50, some of those definitely would have been on there for me.

On the flip side, we could have done a top 200 and nothing from the Ummagumma studio album would have made it. The live disc is good, but Disc 2 (the studio one) is trash.
I've got a couple on my list from Syd days. There were definitely several others on the near miss list.
I have 2 from the Syd era and 1 from the post-Waters era. The other 22 are from the Waters/Gilmour/Wright/Mason lineup.

Been listening to the final full DG-led PF show today (Earl's Court - 1994-10-29). The version of High Hopes on Pulse comes from that show. I've always been a huge fan of the reworked and expanded live version of Run Like Hell that closed out shows (more than twice as long as the album version). I wonder if they knew going into that show that that was their last rodeo. Hard to believe next year it will have beeen 30 years ago.

Man getting a good handle on my #15-25
is difficult as hell.
I just did my list. Wasn't hard. I REALLY don't like the Wall fwiw. Hardest part was my next five out were all off Division Bell!

My top 4 is pretty set in stone, it's just a matter of the order. None of the four are songs over 10 minutes.
My top two, both over ten minutes. 😀

I have been having flashbacks of 1995 all morning. Every room I walked into in my fraternity house had a red blinking light somewhere.
My Pulse light lasted years. It may still be blinking.

. . . And there are no songs left that everyone has voted for. So people can start building their outrage and ponder "How could someone not have voted for SONG X?" with fists clenched in the air. We are up to 72 different songs so far.

I do love the live versions of Run Like Hell with the extended intros and outros the Floyd did on their last two tours, but while I cannot say it is necessarily my go-to version of it, I do absolutely love the edit of it used in The Wall film. It's an abridged version, only about two minutes long, but by moving the synth solo to the second verse and having it play underneath the vocal and then going straight to the finish after it, it gives that version a frantic feel that you really don't get it in the normal version or any of the live ones.

. . . And there are no songs left that everyone has voted for. So people can start building their outrage and ponder "How could someone not have voted for SONG X?" with fists clenched in the air. We are up to 72 different songs so far.
I'd be surprised if we get well above 100. They do have a lot of strange stuff that would unlikely be taken.

I'd be surprised if we get well above 100. They do have a lot of strange stuff that would unlikely be taken.
I guessed there would be 75 or 80 before we got started.

Plus some albums with really long songs so just fewer songs to start off.

Never know, though! If I had done this in the early 90s when I was in my "The Wall is the greatest thing ever!" phase, songs like Waiting for the Worms and The Trial would have been in my top 15. I still love both in the context of the album, but neither made my top 25 here in the year of our Lord 2023.

Never know, though! If I had done this in the early 90s when I was in my "The Wall is the greatest thing ever!" phase, songs like Waiting for the Worms and The Trial would have been in my top 15. I still love both in the context of the album, but neither made my top 25 here in the year of our Lord 2023.
Fair point, although I wasn't even thinking of The Wall among the strange stuff that probably will remain untouched.

Fair point, although I wasn't even thinking of The Wall among the strange stuff that probably will remain untouched.
I hear ya. There is bound to be some "weirdo" who rates Corporal Clegg or Seamus as a top 25 song.

I hear ya. There is bound to be some "weirdo" who rates Corporal Clegg or Seamus as a top 25 song.
Seamus actually wasn't all that much outside the top 25 for me, but mainly so I could be a nerd and go with "Mademoiselle Nobs".

Clegg was my #26 😀

I do love the live versions of Run Like Hell with the extended intros and outros the Floyd did on their last two tours, but while I cannot say it is necessarily my go-to version of it, I do absolutely love the edit of it used in The Wall film. It's an abridged version, only about two minutes long, but by moving the synth solo to the second verse and having it play underneath the vocal and then going straight to the finish after it, it gives that version a frantic feel that you really don't get it in the normal version or any of the live ones.
The Disco Biscuits crush Run Like Helz. Always with sick jams by Barber throughout.

True. but if someone just found this thread, you gotta admit they could be a little bit confused.
True, dat. Hopefully folks might read some of the thread before posting, but even I admit to doing that on an occasion. In any event, it's all good. People have plenty of time to put a list together. Just PM me with your list when you get something put together.

Been listening to a lot of the pre-DSOTM DSOTM material lately. I wouldn't classify any of it as better, but it is definitely different and interesting to hear how things morphed, shaped, and evolved to get to where it ended up as the studio material on the official album release. You can definitely hear things that were plucked out and carried over, but the background instrumentation, effects, pacing, nuances, and tempo are all different. The best way to describe it a lot sparser and nowhere near as fleshed out. It's like an idea / concept that they kept building on and building on.

Been listening to a lot of the pre-DSOTM DSOTM material lately. I wouldn't classify any of it as better, but it is definitely different and interesting to hear how things morphed, shaped, and evolved to get to where it ended up as the studio material on the official album release. You can definitely hear things that were plucked out and carried over, but the background instrumentation, effects, pacing, nuances, and tempo are all different. The best way to describe it a lot sparser and nowhere near as fleshed out. It's like an idea / concept that they kept building on and building on.
That they workshopped it for so long could be one of the reasons why the finished product turned out so well.

That they workshopped it for so long could be one of the reasons why the finished product turned out so well.
They certainly got their milage from touring off of DSOTM. They started playing it in early 1972 and toured into 1975 playing the entire album. In hindsight, some of their touring decisions didn't make a lot of sense. They toured into 1975 and played some of the songs that would appear on Wish You Were Here . . . but they didn't tour when the album came out. Most bands tour AFTER the new album drops, you know, to promote the album and sell more tickets. Not Floyd. Don't shed a tear for them, I think they did ok financially . . . said to have sold over 250 million albums worldwide.

God, I would likely have no idea where even to start. It would also depend on time of day, what I drank or smoked, and what mood I was in.

There should be two categories. Best songs and best stoned songs. (Not a fan of great gig in the sky when sober, for instance. Can't hear it enough when not)

God, I would likely have no idea where even to start. It would also depend on time of day, what I drank or smoked, and what mood I was in.

There should be two categories. Best songs and best stoned songs. (Not a fan of great gig in the sky when sober, for instance. Can't hear it enough when not)
How about a compromise? Get halfway into an altered state and then rank the songs. That should give you a good cross-section of conscious, semi-conscious, and a barely lucid frame of mind to work with.

I'll take the over. A lot of people just like to be contrarians just to be contrarians. See David's first statement.

I'll take the over. A lot of people just like to be contrarians just to be contrarians. See David's first statement.
True, someone will probably take Several Species just for the heck of it.

I'm not surprised at all. There are going to be at least a few songs that will be worthy of a good explanation from the holdouts.

After the LZ draft, nothing will surprise me. I already know to expect some songs that I think are epic to be considered middle of the road or left out altogether

I'm not surprised at all. There are going to be at least a few songs that will be worthy of a good explanation from the holdouts.
I hate the Wall fwiw. And I never loved the song with the weird time sig. So yeah.

I hate the Wall fwiw. And I never loved the song with the weird time sig. So yeah.
That could be several unless you’re talking about 💰

Bumped into this show this morning (which I had never heard about before). This is David Gilmour and Richard Wright (and most of the other members from PF's the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour) at an after show performance in Copenhagen - 1988-08-01, billed as The Fishermen at Annabels Night Club. This falls in the category of WTF were they thinking. Their usual backup singers take over on lead vocals. This is the band COMPLETELY out of their traditional sound and style.

Check out this bizarre setlist:
- Respect (Otis Redding / Aretha Franklin cover)
- Can't Get Enough Of Your Love (Bad Company cover)
- My Girl (Temptations cover)
- Rock Steady (Aretha Franklin cover)
- Rapper's Delight (Sugarhill Gang cover)
- Le Freak (Chic cover)
- Master Blaster (Jammin') (Stevie Wonder cover)
- Superstition (Stevie Wonder cover)

Performers:
David Gilmour - guitar
Richard Wright - keyboards
Guy Pratt - bass
Jon Karin - keyboards
Scott Page - saxophone
Gary Wallis - drums
Rachel Fury - vocals
Durga McBroom - vocals

I found a little more info on this. The party was arranged by the Danish branch of EMI, most likely as a birthday party for PF's personal security manager, Barrie Knight. The low-key
gig was most likely an unplanned event, as the performers took to the stage on a spur of the moment and played on whatever in-house equipment was available.

Last edited:
Bumped into this show this morning (which I had never heard about before). This is David Gilmour and Richard Wright (and most of the other members from PF's the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour) at an after show performance in Copenhagen - 1988-07-01, billed as The Fishermen at Annabels Night Club. This falls in the category of WTF were they thinking. Their usual backup singers take over on lead vocals. This is the band COMPLETELY out of their traditional sound and style.

Check out this bizarre setlist:
- Respect (Otis Redding / Aretha Franklin cover)
- Can't Get Enough Of Your Love (Bad Company cover)
- My Girl (Temptations cover)
- Rock Steady (Aretha Franklin cover)
- Rapper's Delight (Sugarhill Gang cover)
- Le Freak (Chic cover)
- Master Blaster (Jammin' (Stevie Wonder cover)
- Superstition (Stevie Wonder cover)

Performers:
David Gilmour - guitar
Richard Wright - keyboards
Guy Pratt - bass
Jon Karin - keyboards
Scott Page - saxophone
Gary Wallis - drums
Rachel Fury - vocals
Durga McBroom - vocals
That's wild - never knew about this. Good for them though for stretching out of their usual stuff.

Still just taking the lazy river approach to this for now, but I wanted to point out I haven't gotten a list from anyone in quite a while. There are 25+ people that posted in here that haven't submitted a list yet. Just sayin' . . .

Still just taking the lazy river approach to this for now, but I wanted to point out I haven't gotten a list from anyone in quite a while. There are 25+ people that posted in here that haven't submitted a list yet. Just sayin' . . .
Kinda like an Anarchy League draft

Users who are viewing this thread