What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pitta carted off - NOT out for the year, welcome back (1 Viewer)

Yeah... a 29 year old non-elite TE coming off a full year off with a major injury stacks the odds against him. And either Dickson makes the most of his opportunity this year and takes the job for another year or two, or the Ravens address the position next off-season -- it's hard to imagine they'll be counting on Pitta heading into next year.

Two auction leagues drafted yesterday, landed Rice for pretty cheap in both; fortune smiles.
I disagree that this is as great news for Rice as many surmise here. Ravens have already lost Boldin, now Pitta. Those are two major chains movers. Rice may see a few more targets, but unless something changes fast, I predict fewer scoring opportunities.

Two auction leagues drafted yesterday, landed Rice for pretty cheap in both; fortune smiles.
I disagree that this is as great news for Rice as many surmise here. Ravens have already lost Boldin, now Pitta. Those are two major chains movers. Rice may see a few more targets, but unless something changes fast, I predict fewer scoring opportunities.
I've owned Rice since his rookie season in multiple leagues, the super-majority of his points have not come from scoring opportunities - hes a horse. I still think his scoring opportunities go up, Pitta was responsible for 20 something redzone targets.

Ignoring his rookie season:

-Avgs 277 carries a year

-Avgs 70 receptions a year

-Avgs 94 targets a year

-Avgs 1875 all-purpose yards a year

-Avgs 9.75 TDs a season

Apologies for the Pitta thread derail, to be fair however his hype was unrealistic to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah... a 29 year old non-elite TE coming off a full year off with a major injury stacks the odds against him. And either Dickson makes the most of his opportunity this year and takes the job for another year or two, or the Ravens address the position next off-season -- it's hard to imagine they'll be counting on Pitta heading into next year.
Had no clue he was that old. I guess it has to do with the whole mormon journey thing because he couldnt have been drafted more than 3-4 years ago.

Rotoworld:

According to SI's Peter King, Ravens TE Dennis Pitta (hip) is "not assuredly out for the season."
Pitta has been widely assumed to be out for the year, but a "Ravens coach" tells King that's not a guarantee. "Don’t know the percentage," the coach said of Pitta's odds of returning. "But it is not zero." Perhaps the Ravens are trying to keep Pitta motivated in his rehab, but the chances he plays this season are exceedingly low. A free-agent-to-be, Pitta would have much to lose by rushing his return.

Source: Sports Illustrated

Rotoworld:

Speaking Tuesday, coach John Harbaugh confirmed the Ravens haven't officially ruled Dennis Pitta (hip) out for the season.
Pitta is a true long-shot to return, but perhaps he'll make enough progress between now and Week 1 to turn himself into a candidate for injured reserve/designated to return. He's still not worth a roster stash in redraft leagues.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter

Could Pitta really return this season?

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

It was just a couple of weeks ago when some speculated that Dennis Pitta's dislocated hip could be a career-threatening injury. Now, the Ravens haven't ruled out the tight end from playing this season.

Sure, it's a long shot. No one in the Ravens organization would likely bet big money on it. But, as coach John Harbaugh put it, there is "some hope."

It's getting to the point where you can't ever rule out any Ravens player when they're injured. Last offseason, it was originally reported that linebacker Terrell Suggs was out for the season after tearing his Achilles tendon. But he was back on the field by the seventh game of the season. Last October, it was believed that linebacker Ray Lewis' torn triceps was a season-ending injury. But he was back on the field after missing 10 weeks.

Everyone, including the Ravens themselves, thought Pitta was done for the year. On July 28, a reporter asked Harbaugh if there was a chance Pitta could return this season. “I would say no at this point," Harbaugh replied. "He’s out for the year.”

What changed? Pitta suffered no ligament or cartilage damage. That's the reason the Ravens haven't placed him on injured reserve, which would end his season. The only negative in waiting is the Ravens don't free up a roster spot for the remainder of the preseason, and in the big picture, that's nothing.

The Ravens will see how the bone heals over the first five weeks since the injury and then make a decision before the Sept. 5 regular-season opener. If the news is encouraging, the Ravens can put Pitta on the injured reserve-designated to return list. He would be eligible to play eight weeks after receiving that designation.

Tight end quickly went from a position of depth to an area of concern in training camp. In addition to Pitta's injury, there's a chance the Ravens could be without his replacement, Ed Dickson (hamstring), for the season opener. Baltimore is trying to fill the void by signing Dallas Clark and Visanthe Shiancoe, two tight ends who were hot commodities on fantasy teams four years ago but were unsigned when training camps opened.

This is why it would be a big boost for the Ravens to get Pitta back for the playoffs. In the 2012 postseason, Pitta was the Ravens' second-leading receiver with 14 catches, good for 163 yards and three touchdowns.

Still, no one should expect Pitta to return this season. But, given the Ravens' history, no one should be shocked if he does.

Rotoworld:

Dennis Pitta (hip surgery) will soon visit Dr. Bryan Kelly in New York City for a determination on whether he can return this season.
It's an obvious long shot, but the Ravens aren't giving up hope. Hence, the second opinion. Kelly recently performed Percy Harvin's hip surgery to repair a labral tear. Harvin is expected to return late in the year, but his injury was not nearly as severe as Pitta's hip dislocation with a fractured bone.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Rotoworld:

The Ravens are pleased with TE Dennis Pitta's hip surgery recovery and are expected to make him their injured reserve/designated for return player.
Short-term I.R. was a new rule added last year that allows a team to carry one player on injured reserve that's available for activation after eight weeks. "Things are progressing favorably toward that," said coach John Harbaugh. "He's doing a really good job. I saw him today. ... He's had no setbacks, and there is optimism." Pitta would be eligible to play in Week 9, theoretically, but he's not truly expected back until Thanksgiving or December.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Rotoworld:

Dennis Pitta (hip surgery/IR-designated for return) has resumed catching passes on JUGS machines on the side of Ravens practice.
Pitta is officially eligible for return on November 3, although the Baltimore Sun confirms "it would probably be much later in the season" if Pitta is able to play again at all this year. "I got to be honest with you, I’m pretty impressed," coach John Harbaugh said Friday. ""He’s running quite a bit in here on these machines and he’s already catching passes. That’s a ways away time-wise. Every time I see Dennis, I got mixed emotions. I’m happy he’s doing so well and I’m not happy that he’s not already out there playing right now. He’s doing a good job."

Anybody stashing him? I have Olsen and want to get Wright, but don't want to burn a waiver on him. So i'm planning a backup plan in case he gets picked up

Rotoworld:

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said TE Dennis Pitta (hip surgery) is "closer than ever" to returning.
Pitta is currently eligible to come off short-term injured reserve, but has yet to be cleared to resume practicing. "Everything I've been told is that he's on schedule," Harbaugh said. "We're getting close to that date." Pitta is believed to be targeting a mid-to-late November return. He likely won't be back before Week 12 in a best-case scenario and isn't yet worth stashing in re-draft leagues.

Source: ESPN.com

FUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.
Good insight here. :thumbup:
When a person like meyer31 is in win now mode in a dynasty with Pitta as his TE, that reaction is mildly understandable.
This thread really helps explain why Meyer31 stole the $ from us in our dynasty. Three days later, he secretly withdrew his $ from Leaguesafe.

Why would he curse like this? He told us a few days ago he needed to withdraw because he "overextended" himself. Unless of course, he really intended to stay in the league until this injury happened.

Am on the hunt for possible late season additions and stumbled upon this thread with the recent news of Pitta. I think all Josh Meyer threads should continually be bumped, containing all of his aliases, regardless if the topics are newsworthy or not.

Rotoworld:

Dennis Pitta (hip, short-term IR) will resume practicing Wednesday.

It will be Pitta's first practice since July surgery to repair a dislocated hip. The 4-6 Ravens desperately need his versatile pass-catching ability if they're going to get into the playoffs, but we wouldn't expect an instant impact anytime soon. Players coming off such a long layoff and serious injury are almost always eased back in. We'd be surprised if Pitta was activated to the 53-man roster anytime before Week 14, and then he may be on a snap count. He's a low-risk, high-upside stash for fantasy owners -- not a savior. Coach John Harbaugh noted it's impossible to say when the impending free agent will see game action. "Safety is number one," Harbs said Wednesday.

Rotoworld:

Speaking Wednesday, Dennis Pitta (hip) said he's "going to take it slow" to "make sure I can integrate myself back in."

Pitta participated in practice Wednesday for the first time since July surgery to repair his dislocated hip. He has not taken any live contact yet. "It's impossible to say," coach John Harbaugh said when asked when Pitta will see game action. "Without getting ahead of ourselves here, as soon as possible. But safety is No. 1 and his ability to perform out there are two factors." Pitta chimed in by saying he'll see how the next few weeks go. There's a little upside in a fantasy stash here, but owners are going to need to be patient and expect a snap count upon his return.

Related: Dallas Clark

Rotoworld updates:

The Baltimore Sun's Aaron Wilson does not expect Dennis Pitta (hip, short-term I.R.) to play in Week 12 against the Jets.

Wilson considers a Week 14 return against the Vikings "a best case scenario if all goes well." So Pitta isn't due back for Week 13, either. Tight end-desperate fantasy owners can try picking up Pitta to stash for Weeks 15-16, but a real fantasy contribution before the end of the season remains a long shot.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Dennis Pitta (hip, short-term I.R.) isn't ruling out the possibility of playing in Week 12 against the Jets.

This will become an increasing possibility if Pitta is activated to the 53-man roster on Saturday. "We'll be smart with it," said Pitta. "We're going to see how I feel tomorrow and how I feel the next day and go from there." On the off chance Pitta is active for Week 12, he'd likely play minimal snaps. He still has an outside chance to be a stretch-run fantasy football asset.

Rotoworld:

The Baltimore Sun reports Dennis Pitta (hip) will not play in Week 12.
The Ravens have yet to activate Pitta from short-term injured reserve, making him ineligible for Sunday's game against the Jets. He resumed practicing Wednesday, but likely won't return until Week 14 in a best-case scenario.

Rotoworld:

The Baltimore Sun reports the "hope, for now" is for the Ravens to get back Dennis Pitta (hip, short-term I.R.) in Week 14 against the Vikings.
Per beat writer Aaron Wilson, Pitta "looked fairly sharp running routes and catching passes" during the practice week, and the Ravens publicly wouldn't rule him out to play Sunday against the Jets. He wasn't activated to the 53-man roster, however, and is ineligible to play. He also isn't due back for Thursday night's game against the Steelers. Tight end-needy fantasy owners should look into picking up Pitta now. He'd likely be on a snap count in the Week 14 game, but could be a fantasy asset in Weeks 15-16.

Rotoworld:

Dennis Pitta (hip, short-term I.R.) participated in the Ravens' Monday walkthrough.

The Ravens are getting set to face Pittsburgh on Thanksgiving's finale game. Pitta is increasing his practice reps, but is not considered a candidate to play in a game before Week 14. He's worth stashing as an injured TE2.

Rotoworld:

Coach John Harbaugh said a decision on whether to activate Dennis Pitta (hip) from short-term injured reserve in time to play in Week 14 against the Vikings will "probably come down to the end of the week."
The Ravens have until December 11 to decide whether to activate Pitta or send him to season-ending injured reserve. "We'll go through this week and see how he does," Harbaugh said. ... We want to get him up. That's our goal. ... I've got a pretty good idea that he's doing well. It's just a matter of how well." Pitta has been practicing with the team since November 20. It'd be a minor surprise if he wasn't activated by this Saturday, in time for Sunday.

It will be very interesting to see if Pitta is activated. That said, I'm not sure I have the guts to be starting him in the fantasy playoffs.

blake said:
It will be very interesting to see if Pitta is activated. That said, I'm not sure I have the guts to be starting him in the fantasy playoffs.
Ballsy move that I am considering in redraft league.

Rotoworld:

Coach John Harbaugh said he's hopeful Dennis Pitta (hip surgery) can play in Sunday's game against the Vikings.

Pitta was in New York on Tuesday, presumably to get one final checkup on his hip before he returns to practice. We'll know if he has a realistic shot at making his 2013 debut this week as practice moves along. Even if Pitta is active, he'd be impossible to trust as a fantasy play considering the serious nature of his injury and how long he's been out. He'd almost certainly be on a snap count. Pitta remains a mere desperation stash in re-draft formats.

Source: Ravens on Twitter

Definitely worth a shot. The Ravens are playing better, but have all but abandoned the run. I could see a fair number of targets for Pitta this week, and that number increasing next week potentially.

If you are looking for a backup tight end for the playoffs, he may be the best of the bunch on the wire.

there's a lot of "If Pitta comes back" "news", but have we heard anything official yet?

What was Pitta's offseason TE ranking?
GrahamGronkowski

Witten

Hernandez

Gonzalez

Vernon Davis

Pitta

Greg Olsen

You could have moved some of those guys around, but that's pretty close to the way I had my list.

As of now, Julius Thomas has clearly passed him on this list, and Reed, Bennett and Fleener all seem to be in the mix. Cameron, Gates and Clay looked to have passed him earlier in the year, but all of them have tailed off.

The big reason he was so desirable was that the Ravens needed a big target to replace Boldin, and Pitta was the one guy that Flacco seemed to have a connection with. He's done more with Torrey Smith than expected (but it hasn't been good for the Ravens). He's developed decent rapport with Jones and Brown, and both have flirted with fantasy respectability. But the Ravens are tied with just one 6-6 team - the Dolphins - for the second wild card spot. They can still take their division, too - the Ravens trail by two with four games left to go, but they have a win over Cinci already and play the Bengals again in week 17.

I believe that the Ravens will use their best players, and their best players are going to play through pain if they can do it. So I'd say if he is healthy, and he plays and plays well this week, I'd consider putting him in my playoff lineup.

Rotoworld:

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Friday there's a "reasonable" chance Dennis Pitta (hip surgery) plays in Week 14 against Minnesota.

Although Pitta would be limited and not a Week 14 fantasy option, his role could grow enough for Week 15 start-ability if he played well. With very little running game and a receiver corps largely consisting of deep threats, the Ravens' offense has had no sustaining element this season. When healthy, Pitta can bring that. Tight end-desperate fantasy owners should grab him now.

Source: Matt Vensel on Twitter

I grabbed him and will keep him on my playoff roster. Even if he can't contribute this year, I love him for next year. Flacco very comfortable throwing to him. Ravens TE targets are nice despite the crap they've had this year. I think he will be a huge part of the offense next year.

In my redraft league, I picked up Jared Cook as a one-week fill-in over Cameron. Cook's gone after this week, and I'll probably take a flier on Pitta. But I'm not sure what it would take for me to feel comfortable starting him. At least one solid game, for sure, but of course there's the Harvin precedent lurking. The good news is that, unlike the Seahawks, Baltimore is still fighting for a playoff spot, so they may be a little less cautious in rolling him back out there as soon as he's healthy. Still, hip injuries are no joke.

Makes me feel GREAT seeing these rankings.!! Top 10!??

Moved James Jones/Karlos Dansby for Pitta, Toilolo and a top 20 pick in 2016!!! :tebow:

Thank god trade deadline was that night, dude needed a #3 WR, had Housler, Clay, Pitta, Toilolo and traded me BOTH Pitta Toilolo (Finley/Bostick owner going into next year! :bs: )

Should be good now though... It sucks when your playing a guy With Jimmy Graham... having no TE (Brees, Rice, Spiller, DJax, Boldin, A Holmes, Graham)

Graham against any TE is just unfair every week. :topcat:

Rotoworld:

Ravens activated TE Dennis Pitta (hip) from injured reserve/designated to return.
Pitta has been practicing the last three weeks and is expected to be on a limited snap count in his first game back. His return has the potential to improve a Ravens offense that lacks a true possession receiver, though his exact role remains to be seen coming off a major injury. Pitta is worth stashing as a TE2 in re-draft formats, but isn't a realistic fantasy option for Week 14.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Report: Dennis Pitta activated in time for Week 14

by Chris Towers | CBSSports.com

(03:56 pm ET) Ravens tight end Dennis Pitta will be active in Week 14 against the Vikings, reports NFL.com Saturday. Pitta has been on injured reserve since suffering a hip injury in the preseason, but has been able to work in practice in recent weeks.

It is not clear if Pitta will be the starter, or even what type of workload he is likely to face at this time. The fact that he is able to play at all is impressive, as he was thought to have possibly been facing a season-ending injury when it aoccured.

I debating giving him the nod over Pettigrew. I've been killed at TE this year, he can't give me worse then the 1.7 points Pettigrew gave me last week.

Report: Dennis Pitta activated in time for Week 14

by Chris Towers | CBSSports.com

(03:56 pm ET) Ravens tight end Dennis Pitta will be active in Week 14 against the Vikings, reports NFL.com Saturday. Pitta has been on injured reserve since suffering a hip injury in the preseason, but has been able to work in practice in recent weeks.

It is not clear if Pitta will be the starter, or even what type of workload he is likely to face at this time. The fact that he is able to play at all is impressive, as he was thought to have possibly been facing a season-ending injury when it aoccured.
I do not like playing people with hip injuries or just coming back from them.

Phenix- agreed, though I'm a little less concerned about a TE than I would be a WR or RB. I don't expect a big game, but 5 short receptions for 40 or so yards seems possible.

Just hoping to hear officially about JReed in time to make a move if needed.

I hope he's out there to help boost Flacco's stats.

Field could be sloppy due to weather though, so if anyone is starting him, keep an eye on that. Not sure if they want a guy coming back from hip surgery running around on an icey wet field.

But I guess if he's good to go, he's good to go.

Going to keep Heath in over him this week. I'll be watching closely though, in hopes of him being startable next week.

6 catches. Seemed to be in most of the day. I'd say it went well
Had a TD too...good for him. Regardless of where he lands, always feel awful for guys who get jacked the year before they go FA (like a Maclin). I own him in a league where I can actually start 3 TEs and own him with Bennett and Clay...intriguing.

Users who are viewing this thread