What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please Read - Big Change For The Forum - Asking For Your Grace - Forum Offline 8/1 (2 Viewers)

I wondered if their attitude was like “Here’s a product we have that we’ll sell but don’t ask too much of it. We’re not going to be that invested in improvements.”  Because you had high expectations, they didn’t want to deal with you. If I remember my marketing product life cycle stuff, that’s something you might expect from a fading cash cow.

Obviously you know more as you’re the one dealing with them. That was just where my mind immediately went.

Yeah, I wondered that too. I also wonder if I just caught the guy having a terrible day. I dunno. 

I haven't communicated with them any more once I got the "you're fired" email. :lmao:

Keith has talked with their people to coordinate the transition and he said they've been fine. 

Yup. At a past software company, our owner got mad once and told the staff "you know I can fire all but a sales guy, an engineer and a customer support guy and live off the profit - without the labor expense - until all the customers leave, which could take years and by that time I'd have made millions annually." It was about a twenty year old on-premise product and cloud competitors were eating our lunch. We wanted him to invest in a new, competitive product.

He got his start in the lawn maintenance service industry where it is more common to fire problem customers. In fact, one company I know lets their staff pick 5 customers to fire every year... And brag about it. It's common for those home service industries to be very bad at customer service. Tons of demand and limited legitimate competition. They can pick and choose customers and if they get busy, they just basically stop answering the phone.

My guess is the market for forum software isn't growing so Invision has a small team and they can't actually meet your request. The revenue maximizing thing to do would be to lead you along a bit further until you decided to bolt. Kind of admirable in a way that they didn't. They know they can't meet your needs and have basically told you so.

There's for sure a limit to how far a company has to go for customer service. At some point, the revenue one brings in isn't enough to warrant the cost of the customer service. 

But this was not that. The request I was asking for would literally take less than 5-10 hours per year to do. Maybe less.

That's why I was so surprised at their response. But it also gave me some super important insight. 

I was just cleaning up my PMs and saw that @Scoresman sent me the confessions I submitted to him for the confessions thread - still one of the funnier threads we had around here.

“I've never really made that chili recipe. I posted it on a lark seeing if people would actually do it. Who has that much ####### time to make chili? I just heat up a can of Hormel in the microwave. Takes like 2 minutes - enjoy wasting your lives, morons.”
@Judge Smails

:lmao:

Hahaha. That was great.  I wish I had policed myself better in allowing the "anonymous" back and forth between EG72 and McGarnicle that ended up getting the thread locked.  I kept telling EG I wasnt going to post the last one, but he peer pressured me into it and it got the thread locked. lol.  

Xenforo is indeed a great forum software.  This is great news!
If anyone wants a preview of what a Xenforo board is like, check out Saintsreport.

Xenforo is superficially very similar to the current Invision board software -- I can't think of any client-facing features that the FBGs forums have now that wouldn't be available in Xenforo. The new FBG board really shouldn't even look all that different. Saintsreport is fairly image-intensive now and has a lot of busy space off at the right of the forum posts ... but I expect that the FBG forums will dispense of all that overhead.

That's an interesting discussion @Juxtatarot   The common thought I hear is how this type of board communication is dying. With the other social platforms eating away. Yet sites like Reddit with the same structure are monsters. And forums like ours with thousands of posts a day and new topics pushed off the front page quickly because of the volume. 

I don't know how much technology and cost is required to create and host a forum, but the demand for the product is strong. 

They dropped a $10,000 a year account like us for what seems like nothing. That makes me think their business must be super strong.
Reminds me of the "tape is dying" (as in tape backup) that's been bandied about for several decades yet here we are in 2022 and it's still alive and kicking, admittedly not to the scale of long ago though. And ransomware seems to be giving it even more life.

Seems there will be demand for message boards for the foreseeable future.

Stop taking Xenforo if you experience an allergic reaction with rash, hives, itching, fever, trouble breathing, or swelling of your throat. Stop taking if you become pregnant.
I get a chuckle out of the pharma ads that say "Do not take Xenforo if you're allergic to Xenforo." Well how do I know if I'm allergic to Xenforo if I've never taken it?

If anyone wants a preview of what a Xenforo board is like, check out Saintsreport.

Xenforo is superficially very similar to the current Invision board software -- I can't think of any client-facing features that the FBGs forums have now that wouldn't be available in Xenforo. The new FBG board really shouldn't even look all that different. Saintsreport is fairly image-intensive now and has a lot of busy space off at the right of the forum posts ... but I expect that the FBG forums will dispense of all that overhead.
Dang. That site probably gives some folks seizures. Love the Kay Adams thread over there btw.  :lol:

We should create a subreddit for some unmoderated discussion over the next week or however long the forums are down. 

It’d be like a forums vacation. 

Yeah, if we can insert gifs.........stand back. give me some room.

• Love
Reactions: Ned
Goodbye everyone. Been a good run. Decided it's time to hang it up.

To all those absent this weekend with no idea what's going on and try logging in Monday morning, you'll be in my T&P

Have a good season

-C (1999-2022)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread