What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please Read - Big Change For The Forum - Asking For Your Grace - Forum Offline 8/1 (3 Viewers)

I honestly was baffled. It was almost funny. I'd been frustrated with the platform for a while so it's not like I was thinking of changing. But to be fired like that was one of the oddest things I've ever seen in business. 
Brenda Price did the same thing to me in eighth grade.

“You can’t break up with me! I was going to break up with you!”

What an interesting stark difference in customer philosophy. One company gets rid of one of their biggest clients and loses $10k in income because their client asks for better customer service versus another company that is paying $10k a year to offer both paying and non-paying folks a service that doesn’t even directly provide income…and is willing to sink hundreds of hours and tons of effort during their busiest time to keep offering that service.

I know which type of company I like to give my money to and how much I appreciate that kind of service and philosophy.

Thank you GroveD. You're kind. It really did seem baffling to me. I can only guess there has to be something more behind it. Maybe even at 10k a year, we cost more than it was worth to them? I don't know. I literally laughed when he sent the email telling us we were fired.

It was amazing. 

No "Hey we told you not to do this.". Or "Why did you do what said not to". I asked one more time and the only response back was to let us know they'd no longer be hosting the forums. :lmao:  

Hoping this is for the best. But I'm not going to lie I'm nervous about migrating this giant volume of data. Fingers crossed. 

As someone who oversees customer success for a software company I’m completely perplexed and shaking my head that this would actually be a stance a company would take with one of their customers.  Sorry this happened to you. Good luck with the migration!!

I honestly was baffled. It was almost funny. I'd been frustrated with the platform for a while so it's not like I was thinking of changing. But to be fired like that was one of the oddest things I've ever seen in business. 

they must be associated with MFL (MyFantasyLeague).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up. I have a lot of pms from wikkid that I regularly read to try and stay sane. I am kind of laughing right now wondering how I would have reacted to losing them all. I now have something to do today. 

I am guessing copy/paste is the way to go here? or does anyone know a fasre and easier way to do it?

What an interesting stark difference in customer philosophy. One company gets rid of one of their biggest clients and loses $10k in income because their client asks for better customer service versus another company that is paying $10k a year to offer both paying and non-paying folks a service that doesn’t even directly provide income…and is willing to sink hundreds of hours and tons of effort during their busiest time to keep offering that service.

I know which type of company I like to give my money to and how much I appreciate that kind of service and philosophy.

This and this again. Best of luck with the migration, Joe. 

Can the  first person in please turn off the lights? (Team Dark Mode)

I’m migrating my school district to a new IT help desk platform and school starts in like 2 weeks. Debating telling the teachers we’re moving….

:lmao:

1. It's not for sale.

2. We took a picture together one time at a wedding and I was going to post it here and he backpedaled like Deion Sanders. I don't think he has much interest in buying anything here.
Include it as part of a way over-priced landscaping package and he'll be all over it.  

Appreciate the work you've all been doing here. Sorry to hear about the difficulties but looking forward to the new forum site. 

Change is gonna come.

Excited to see the yoga pants thread make a comeback. 

I was just cleaning up my PMs and saw that @Scoresman sent me the confessions I submitted to him for the confessions thread - still one of the funnier threads we had around here.

“I've never really made that chili recipe. I posted it on a lark seeing if people would actually do it. Who has that much ####### time to make chili? I just heat up a can of Hormel in the microwave. Takes like 2 minutes - enjoy wasting your lives, morons.”
@Judge Smails

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought was "Is August 1st the new April Fool's Day"?  What a strange world we've become!

Joe, Hoping you will be pleasantly surprised by the speed and efficacy of the transition.

I was just cleaning up my PMs and saw that @Scoresman sent me the confessions I submitted to him for the confessions thread - still one of the funnier threads we had around here.

“I've never really made that chili recipe. I posted it on a lark seeing if people would actually do it. Who has that much ####### time to make chili? I just heat up a can of Hormel in the microwave. Takes like 2 minutes - enjoy wasting your lives, morons.”
@Judge Smails

This is right up my alley. :lol:

"Same as Day 1" is about to have a whole new meaning.

JB, does this mean. I finally have a shot at a double digit member number?:O

Is there much of a business in these types of message boards these days? It seems like a dying technology.

That's an interesting discussion @Juxtatarot   The common thought I hear is how this type of board communication is dying. With the other social platforms eating away. Yet sites like Reddit with the same structure are monsters. And forums like ours with thousands of posts a day and new topics pushed off the front page quickly because of the volume. 

I don't know how much technology and cost is required to create and host a forum, but the demand for the product is strong. 

They dropped a $10,000 a year account like us for what seems like nothing. That makes me think their business must be super strong.

They mention the password situation?  I find it odd timing tbh.  

No. The last pass issue happened a few days ago. This discussion with the forum host happened several weeks ago. 

The forum host company fired us for the reason I wrote above. 

That's an interesting discussion @Juxtatarot   The common thought I hear is how this type of board communication is dying. With the other social platforms eating away. Yet sites like Reddit with the same structure are monsters. And forums like ours with thousands of posts a day and new topics pushed off the front page quickly because of the volume. 

I don't know how much technology and cost is required to create and host a forum, but the demand for the product is strong. 

They dropped a $10,000 a year account like us for what seems like nothing. That makes me think their business must be super strong.
Or they just aren’t making money in general.

$10,000 is a lot of money — except it isn’t.  How many human equivalents does it support for a full year?  1/10th of a software engineer in a low cost geography?  I don’t have a single account at work that we can service for $10,000 per year (very different business, but still)….

Regardless though, it’s just a bizarre reaction.  Sorry that you are stuck in this situation Joe.  Sometimes having the boards down for a few days or a week seems like a good cooling off period anyway.  But I get that it’s super disruptive for you and FBGs.  Best of luck with the switch.

I wondered if their attitude was like “Here’s a product we have that we’ll sell but don’t ask too much of it. We’re not going to be that invested in improvements.”  Because you had high expectations, they didn’t want to deal with you. If I remember my marketing product life cycle stuff, that’s something you might expect from a fading cash cow.

Obviously you know more as you’re the one dealing with them. That was just where my mind immediately went.

It's probably one of two things. Either they have a strong business in multiple areas, and servicing message boards is a small area with no growth, so they decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Or they have a weak business centered around a "dying" technology and are a complete hot mess as a company and have no idea what they're doing, which leads to the exchanges like the one you experienced. 

Totally agree on the demand - what's great about the FFA is what's great about Reddit.  I can find a very specific topic/conversation I'm interested in and discuss and ask questions of people around the globe.  It's fantastic.  I think the "problem" for Footballguys is that I'm assuming almost everyone who ended up here or comes here has at least a passing interest in FF.  I think there's definitely an appeal to a smaller community where we actually get to know each other but there's also limiting factors - namely, we don't always get a lot of new expertise, insight, etc. to drive discussion and have more people joining in.  Is that tradeoff worth it?  Probably just something everybody decides for themselves.

I wondered if their attitude was like “Here’s a product we have that we’ll sell but don’t ask too much of it. We’re not going to be that invested in improvements.”  Because you had high expectations, they didn’t want to deal with you. If I remember my marketing product life cycle stuff, that’s something you might expect from a fading cash cow.

Obviously you know more as you’re the one dealing with them. That was just where my mind immediately went.
Yup. At a past software company, our owner got mad once and told the staff "you know I can fire all but a sales guy, an engineer and a customer support guy and live off the profit - without the labor expense - until all the customers leave, which could take years and by that time I'd have made millions annually." It was about a twenty year old on-premise product and cloud competitors were eating our lunch. We wanted him to invest in a new, competitive product.

He got his start in the lawn maintenance service industry where it is more common to fire problem customers. In fact, one company I know lets their staff pick 5 customers to fire every year... And brag about it. It's common for those home service industries to be very bad at customer service. Tons of demand and limited legitimate competition. They can pick and choose customers and if they get busy, they just basically stop answering the phone.

My guess is the market for forum software isn't growing so Invision has a small team and they can't actually meet your request. The revenue maximizing thing to do would be to lead you along a bit further until you decided to bolt. Kind of admirable in a way that they didn't. They know they can't meet your needs and have basically told you so.

Users who are viewing this thread