What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

POLL: Without looking it up, do you know what "SXSW" means? (1 Viewer)

Without looking it up: Do you know what "SXSW" means?

• Yes, I know exactly what it means, and I am pretty much an expert on it

Votes: 47 17.5%
  • Yes, I know what it means, and I know a little about it

Votes: 144 53.5%
  • Heard of it, only a vague idea about what it is

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Rings a bell / Seen it referred to online or in media, but never knew what it was

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Have never heard of it before reading this thread

Votes: 50 18.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doug B

Footballguy
This was a thing on another thread. Some people dropped "SXSW" casually into a discussion about something else. Other posters wondered what "SXSW" meant.

This poll seeks to determine how common of knowledge "SXSW" actually is. I could have done multiple polls broken out by age groups, but that's too much a PITA for idle curiosity. This is something I assume under-40s will know better than over-40s. Maybe the dividing line is more late 40s or early 50s.

I voted never heard of it because I hadn't until reading through the coronavirus thread. 

ETA: mid 30s here, but I do live under a rock. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Any possible confusion about the abbreviation vs the full name? Like if someone only heard it spoken on the radio?

Lived in Austin for 6 years and this was by far my favorite time o' year.  Sigh, oh how I miss it.

Again, if not for music I'd have no idea. Lots of live stuff and videos captioned "sxsw"
If not for music, it wouldn't exist, so everyone knows about it for that.  (Except those who live under rocks.)

And I live in Houston, so I'm just slightly familiar.

In fairness, though it was pages back in a long thread, there had been a running discussion about prospects of cancellation due to corona virus. It was introduced as South by Southwest, and then abbreviated in subsequent posts.
I might be the one guilty of abbreviating.

True story, I was eating at NXNW when posting about SXSW.

It kind of jumped the shark in the last 10 years or so. 

Late 90s into 2000's it was amazing.
Yeah, '06-12 was awesome.  I miss spending the day (or a few days) wandering the streets, finding the free shows/beer and just enjoying the March sunshine.  

I knew what it stood for, have heard the phrase.

Did not know what it actually is. 

Both throwing an unofficial day party and speaking on an official panel this year. They’re both on the same day, so I’ll probably be ####hammered when I’m speaking. With any luck, the Coronavirus will keep everyone away and I won’t make an ### of myself in front of a big audience.

Also doing some SXSW EDU stuff the week before with the American Enterprise Institute. Which shows exactly how hip it is these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both throwing an unofficial day party and speaking on an official panel this year. They’re both on the same day, so I’ll probably be ####hammered when I’m speaking. With any luck, the Coronavirus will keep everyone away and I won’t make an ### of myself in front of a big audience.

Also doing some SXSW EDU stuff the week before with the American Enterprise Institute. Which shows exactly how hip it is these days.
You, my friend, are going to get to par-tay with the people I did in my twenties.

Get ready, as they say, to rock.

Users who are viewing this thread