What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post LT2 trade shock (1 Viewer)

Personally, if I owned LT I would hold because I think his value is relatively low right now. I'd wait to see how he does out of the gate in 2008 and sell him mid season depending on how well my team and LT's doing. Then again, if you really like a back other than McFadden, you don't really have a choice but to look at moving him very soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, if I owned LT I would hold because I think his value is relatively low right now. I'd wait to see how he does out of the gate in 2008 and sell him mid season depending on how well my team and LT's doing. Then again, if you really like a back other than McFadden, you don't really have a choice but look at moving him very soon.
So LT gets hurt and is out for the year.Or LT puts up huge numbers and your 5-0.So your saying you would never trade LT.Thats fine, but whats LT worth? Was the question.

Just saw this trade happen:

Team A sends:

MJD

Greg jennings

Chris Chambers

Ryan Longwell

Greg Olsen

Team B sends

Housh

LT

Jeff King

Bo Scaife

Gould

2.5(2008)

2009 2nd.....

background: 14 team dynasty in its 3rd year

Team A looking for a title push was looking to merge LT/Housh with TO,MBIII,Plax,Ryan Grant

Team B won the inaugural season and runner-up last year. Already has Westyand Wayne and is looking to reload

Personally, if I owned LT I would hold because I think his value is relatively low right now. I'd wait to see how he does out of the gate in 2008 and sell him mid season depending on how well my team and LT's doing. Then again, if you really like a back other than McFadden, you don't really have a choice but look at moving him very soon.
So LT gets hurt and is out for the year.Or LT puts up huge numbers and your 5-0.So your saying you would never trade LT.Thats fine, but whats LT worth? Was the question.
LT plus Turner is worth much more than LJ and 1.02 in my mind. I value LT more than most right now I guess.

Don't feel bad Johnny U, I think the guys will like my trade less. Traded LT2 last week for Marshawn Lynch, Cotchery, and Vernon Davis (really like him, not because I'm a homer). My team isn't quite ready to contend but I really needed a good TE (have Crumpler, that's it). I really like Lynch and think he's on the rise. Also, my league is pretty dead. I advertised LT2 for a long time before getting any offers. This wasn't a first offer. We went back and forth a couple of times. I don't feel that I got a lot for LT2 but I believe I got a decent deal for him.

Don't feel bad Johnny U, I think the guys will like my trade less. Traded LT2 last week for Marshawn Lynch, Cotchery, and Vernon Davis (really like him, not because I'm a homer). My team isn't quite ready to contend but I really needed a good TE (have Crumpler, that's it). I really like Lynch and think he's on the rise. Also, my league is pretty dead. I advertised LT2 for a long time before getting any offers. This wasn't a first offer. We went back and forth a couple of times. I don't feel that I got a lot for LT2 but I believe I got a decent deal for him.
Marshawn Lynch is one of the name's I keep seeing pop up in several recent LT trades. I would say AP is most likely untouchable in most if not all keeper/dynasty leagues,Lynch and a rookie pick can be had for LT.

I traded LT for McGahee and the 1.6 rookie pick this year. We use salaries and contracts so those elements definitely affected the deal.

Seems a bit much for LT. Maybe if you got a better WR (Cotchery is not the issue, but his QB is), this deal is ok. As far as TE, you probably would have done better to wait for Crumpler to land in TEN or SEA. That being said, I like Lynch alot, Cotchery could do better in the next couple of years as his QB situation betters, and maybe Martz figures out a way to use a WR/TE type like Davis.

Good reasons to trade LT2 now

1) This time next year he will be 3 months short of his 30th birthday, and we all know what perceived value means at that age, whether valid or not.

2) If you believe this is a very good draft for RBs, now's the time to acquire a young stud as part of an LT2 package.

3) Most believe he has already peaked and some do not, but I don't think his value will ever be higher going forward.

4) You can't ignore the torn MCL. At least it wasn't an ACL.

Good obvious reasons NOT to trade LT2

1) He could have several great years left in him, which could win you a couple of titles in your dynasty leagues. Just ride him until the wheels fall off and not worry about trade value.

2) He plays on a good team with a good OL.

3) You never have to worry about RBBC with LT2. You know what you have.

Good obvious reasons NOT to trade LT21) He could have several great years left in him, which could win you a couple of titles in your dynasty leagues. Just ride him until the wheels fall off and not worry about trade value.2) He plays on a good team with a good OL.3) You never have to worry about RBBC with LT2. You know what you have.
4. That high rookie draft pick doesn't always pan out. Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Cedric Benson, and Kevin Jones were all thought of as can't miss. Most if not all of these guys graded out higher than all of the incoming rookies this year, save McFadden. There's something to be said about already being a proven player at the NFL level.

As has been discussed numerous times over the past 3 seasons (and not long ago this season) ny position is still that this is NOT the right time to trade away LT.

The peak time to trade him would have been after the 2006 season when he set TD record. I saw some owners get some good deals for him at that time.

Right now the perception of LTs value seems to be lower than I can ever recall it being. I have shopped him for the past 3 seasons just to see what people would offer. No one ever offered enough. But their offers were more interesting prior to this offseason.

I do agree that people concerned about the big 30 will value LT even less after this season. So that is the only reason to consider moving him now. Yet those same owners will look at LTs age now and see that he is getting older. Even a myopic 3 year windower might see LTs exit value diminishing in year 3. Never mind the owners who over value youth to the point where you would have had to trade him to them in 2005.

Maybe it is just my league but I have never gotten an offer for LT that would be worth the risk of giving him up. For what little I have been offered I will gladly keep him until the wheels fall off which I do not see happening any time soon. Tiki Barber played at a high level even in his last year just recently and probobly could have had at least one more good season if he had not retired. I don't see any reason why LT cannot follow the same path and continue to be a solid RB1 at age 32 possibly longer.

I actually think now is possibly the best time to try to trade for LT. Not trade him away.

Good obvious reasons NOT to trade LT21) He could have several great years left in him, which could win you a couple of titles in your dynasty leagues. Just ride him until the wheels fall off and not worry about trade value.2) He plays on a good team with a good OL.3) You never have to worry about RBBC with LT2. You know what you have.
4. That high rookie draft pick doesn't always pan out. Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Cedric Benson, and Kevin Jones were all thought of as can't miss. Most if not all of these guys graded out higher than all of the incoming rookies this year, save McFadden. There's something to be said about already being a proven player at the NFL level.
:shrug: I really don't know what HOF RB compares best to LT, but I have to figure that if Emmitt Smith can run for over 1,000 yards at 32, LT should be able to as well. That's 3 years of good production left. Maybe these rookie RBs will all perform well for more than 3 years, but history is against it. If this were 2005, you'd walk away with Cadillac, Ronnie Brown, or Benson. Have any of those, or will any of those, produce better over the course of their career than LT will from this point forward? 2006 is better, 2004 aside from SJax is worse. Most draft classes don't produce many RBs who produce at an elite level for 3 years or more. If you're not going to win with LT and need young depth, trade him. If you might and/or have good depth already, there's no need to - unless of course you can somehow get Peterson.

I believe there are 4 RBs in this draft that could be studs, and the chance that at least two of them are, I feel pretty good about the 1.02 this year. It's always a gamble with rookies, but with dynasty leagues you have replinish at the right time to stay competitive long term. I don't pretend to know everything, but it sure is fun seeing how it plays out, right?

JohnnyU,

Mind if I ask whether you have any other first round selections in 2008? If so and it is a Top 5 pick to combine a Mendenhall/Stewart, with Felix Jones could be huge.

I never thought I would do it now, but I traded LT2 and Turner last night. I feel that I've taken a step backwards for 2008 in order to protect the future.When is the right time to trade LT2? Hell, I don't have a clue, but you know what the old saying is, "It's better to trade a player a year or two too early, than a year too late.".With this draft being as hyped as it is, I would expect a lot of LT2 trades this off-season. Are you trying to trade him, or trade for him? If you own LT2, are you going to ride the LT2 bus for a couple more years?
Sorry, I gotta bring the actual trade out since it let people know the going rate for him.You actually traded him at the right time, IMO. However, I didn't understand getting LJ - I would have held out for Westbrook though since he's better in PPR. You are getting one of the top 2 RB's in the draft and I think it really helps you out long-term.

I believe there are 4 RBs in this draft that could be studs, and the chance that at least two of them are, I feel pretty good about the 1.02 this year. It's always a gamble with rookies, but with dynasty leagues you have replinish at the right time to stay competitive long term. I don't pretend to know everything, but it sure is fun seeing how it plays out, right?
Chuck,You obviously know what you're doing since you have more titles than me in HA. This is what makes dynasty leagues fun, differences of opinion, and this trade could easily work out really well for you. My point was just that, if I had been an LT owner, I would have held out for a little bit more.

I guess I'll pop in here, reluctantly.I'm in the league where JohnnyU made that trade, and I own LT in two other leagues. So I have an interest in both this trade specifically as it affects the league's balance of power (I won the league in 2007, JohnnyU won it in 2006), and in LT trade value in general.LT > LJ by a fair amount IMO as the SD offense and OL specifically is much better than the KC offense and should be for awhile (also, this is a PPR league which widens that gap). Turner vs. 1.02 is an unknown because we don't know enough about the situations, but my own value system places the pick ahead of Turner as of now. And Jacoby Jones will be a career #3 or maybe #2 on HOU most likely, while Bell is a non-factor, so neither will likely affect a fantasy team's starting lineup very much or very often. Is the 1.02 enough of a > over Turner to offset LT > LJ? Maybe, if the 1.02 really pans out great and Turner becomes another two year backup-become-starter like Jordan or Chet Taylor. For me though, LT is a difference making RB who can be a central factor in a championship, and I'm not giving him up unless what I'm getting in return is clearly strong.In general terms, you play to win now if you have the horses. Selling an average player, or a player who is really old in historical terms (Galloway for example) a year or so too early is fine in order to avoid having a worthless commodity on your hands, but selling an LT too soon means letting go of title hopes when you had a key ingredient to winning it all. I won't give that up so easily. With a guy like LT, I won't outsmart myself and try to guess when the decline will happen. I ride him until he's clearly on the decline, thank him for what he gave me, and then get what I can for him even if it's not much. The exception to that rule is if I'm offered a deal that is a clear, clear, trade win. That would mean, for LT, (1) a stud top-10 RB plus (2) another solid top-15 RB or a stud top-10 WR (in PPR that is; in non-PPR there are only 4-5 WRs that would qualify). All without age issues, and guys I feel good about. If I don't get that, I pound ahead for a title with my guy.JohnnyU's deal looks like about a break even or less, and that's not good enough for me to give LT up.
I believe JU thinks the 1.02 is not much of a drop-off from LT dynasty-wise. Yes, it does hurt him this year if the 1.02 ends up being Stewart in Seattle, backing up Alexander (also on his team) in 2008. You can't ignore that Stewart is 8 years younger than LT.However, Turner's value won't be any higher than right now so I understand trading him in case he goes to an unfavorable situation. LJ is worth a lot more than Turner, who I think is over-rated in PPR even if he goes to a team that's a good fit. FWIW, LJ is only 2 years older than Turner.It's certainly a risk, but it's also a risk to hold onto them hoping LT stays healthy for years and Turner becomes a quality starter.**Full disclosure** I wasn't disappointed to see LT leave my division. :)

JohnnyU,Mind if I ask whether you have any other first round selections in 2008? If so and it is a Top 5 pick to combine a Mendenhall/Stewart, with Felix Jones could be huge.
My only other meaningful pick in 2008 in this league (HyperActive I) is the 2.01 (traded for).

LJ is a NO buy, not a buy LOW.
you guys are funny. Look at Jamal. He was AWFUL for two years with injuries and look at him now. To say LJ is done is silly. Look at his stats, 4 of his last 5 games were good and he got hurt before the easy part of the schedule on a TERRIBLE team.

I never thought I would do it now, but I traded LT2 and Turner last night. I feel that I've taken a step backwards for 2008 in order to protect the future.

When is the right time to trade LT2? Hell, I don't have a clue, but you know what the old saying is, "It's better to trade a player a year or two too early, than a year too late.".

With this draft being as hyped as it is, I would expect a lot of LT2 trades this off-season. Are you trying to trade him, or trade for him? If you own LT2, are you going to ride the LT2 bus for a couple more years?
What did you get for him?
So, you posted about the LT trade. What did you get in return?
Like I said earlier, I didn't want this thread to be about what I got, but more about the timing of trading LT2 and fair value without regards my trade.
So you came here to tell everyone you traded LT but won't tell us what you got for him. But you want everyone else to tell you what they can get for him? Why don't you just add to the discussion you're trying to start by telling us what you got for him too? Otherwise, it's just a "I just traded LT" thread. Congratulations?
Ok, but like I said, I hope this doesn't turn into more of what I got type of thread.I traded LT2, Turner, and Tatum Bell for Larry Johnson, the 1.02, and Jacoby Jones.
This is now not a good trade for you.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3273710

I never thought I would do it now, but I traded LT2 and Turner last night. I feel that I've taken a step backwards for 2008 in order to protect the future.

When is the right time to trade LT2? Hell, I don't have a clue, but you know what the old saying is, "It's better to trade a player a year or two too early, than a year too late.".

With this draft being as hyped as it is, I would expect a lot of LT2 trades this off-season. Are you trying to trade him, or trade for him? If you own LT2, are you going to ride the LT2 bus for a couple more years?
What did you get for him?
So, you posted about the LT trade. What did you get in return?
Like I said earlier, I didn't want this thread to be about what I got, but more about the timing of trading LT2 and fair value without regards my trade.
So you came here to tell everyone you traded LT but won't tell us what you got for him. But you want everyone else to tell you what they can get for him? Why don't you just add to the discussion you're trying to start by telling us what you got for him too? Otherwise, it's just a "I just traded LT" thread. Congratulations?
Ok, but like I said, I hope this doesn't turn into more of what I got type of thread.I traded LT2, Turner, and Tatum Bell for Larry Johnson, the 1.02, and Jacoby Jones.
This is now not a good trade for you.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3273710
The Falcons is a horrible landing spot for Turner.

I also made the decision to move LT2 before I was caught a year too late.

I gave:

LT2

Lee Evans

I received:

ADP

Gore

This is a non-ppr league.

I have Turner as a possible keeper, and now think it's a bad choice for 2008. Houston, CHI, anywhere but ATL, which next to the shuttling of the entire roster of MIA is in the worst possible shape of just about any team in the NFL. They have no QB. They have 1 WR. They just dumped Crumpler. Their DEF just got worse after losing DeAngelo. AND...with a decent back like Norwood, he now gets to share carries in a RBBC. ATL is a 1-2 win team in 2008, with no pass offense, who will always be playing from behind against teams that will key on a guy facing his first full-load season. Norwood will spell him often. Now you get to draft Turner and Norwood, since that handcuff is mandatory. I hope Turner can make it through the season without a major injury behind that line and unbalanced offense.

I have Turner as a possible keeper, and now think it's a bad choice for 2008. Houston, CHI, anywhere but ATL, which next to the shuttling of the entire roster of MIA is in the worst possible shape of just about any team in the NFL. They have no QB. They have 1 WR. They just dumped Crumpler. Their DEF just got worse after losing DeAngelo. AND...with a decent back like Norwood, he now gets to share carries in a RBBC. ATL is a 1-2 win team in 2008, with no pass offense, who will always be playing from behind against teams that will key on a guy facing his first full-load season. Norwood will spell him often. Now you get to draft Turner and Norwood, since that handcuff is mandatory. I hope Turner can make it through the season without a major injury behind that line and unbalanced offense.
I couldn't have explained it better if I tried. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread