What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Potential expansion markets (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I'm going to throw out a couple of markets that I think could definitely use an NFL expansion franchise.  One has already been talked about, and that's Portland, OR.  The other is one that not many had on their expansion radar, and that's Memphis, TN.

If there is going to be expansion within the U.S., these two markets would make the most sense.  And it makes sense for both conferences to have expansion franchises in those two markets.  Memphis would probably get the NFC franchise, since the nearby Titans are already in the AFC.  Portland would probably get the AFC franchise, since the nearby Seahawks are in the NFC.  I think the NFL would definitely generate more revenue by having expansion markets in Memphis & Portland.  I know that leaves markets like St. Louis, San Antonio, & San Diego out in the cold. but this is the best expansion idea that the NFL could benefit from.  What does everyone else think?

I think Jacksonville needs a professional football team.

Then I'd go with Hawaii and Alaska,of course Hawaii would need a domed stadium.

Just stay out of London,I can't take Sunday morning games.

Orlando, San Antonio, Sacramento, Austin…

Is Riverside/San Bernardino too close to Los Angeles?

Summer camp in Mexico City would be brutal

No to Memphis. Fun town but It’s among the slowest growing cities in the US, among similar sized cities and has the 6th highest rate of “outmigration”. 
We have enjoyed it, but it almost certainly would not support an NFL team. 

Titans are a small market team and it was a calculated risk giving them the draft a couple years back. It's viewed as a huge success for a small market team.

The NFL isn't about to add another small market relatively nearby in Memphis. I'd be shocked. 

Austin is a very common selection.

There is no reasonable explanation why OKC hasn't had a team yet it's been discussed (Since the NFL began?) for as long as I can remember. They're one of the top states for high school and college football and football is like a second religion to some. Still...why would that change now? 

Arkansas people probably read that and are thinking they're not so unlike Oklahoma and s football crazed state too.

St Louis would have to see how the dust settles after their recent settlement. By all accounts it was mean n ugly and then they settled amicably and it ended well. I don't recall why the Rams left but surely that has to be discussed.

Chicago having another team is a common idea. 

I think the XFL plans to host every team in San Antonio year one and while everyone expects that to change- that doesn't help attract the NFL like hey come be the ninth football team in a new market.

Don't lose sight that the CFL/XFL merger in 2023 is still possible. I could imagine two teams joining the NFL and then months after the remaining teams merge with XFL. Unplanned, of course, yet predictable.

Toronto has had many talks with the NFL and hosted NFL games. While it's a prefab market they just step into and benefit from, the NFL has had concerns it's too small a market. If there's an inkling the CFL could fold, maybe that clinches it? It'll be hard to beat "we already have a stadium, marketing, and fans."

I go back to Oklahoma for debates. They seem to truly be the barometer or median of NOT getting a team. If some potential location isn't better than OKC they won't get it. Discussion here could essentially be "why is this place better than Oklahoma."

Arkansas people probably read that and are thinking they're not so unlike Oklahoma and s football crazed state too.
Alabama reads that (those who can read) and laughs.
There won’t be an NFL team in bama, Tuscaloosa already has one. 

but yeah, OKC and Austin make the most sense in the US. Toronto works imo. 

Last edited by a moderator:
San Diego. It's not our fault Spanos and his brood could not handle their business here. Names would be fun to pick out. Like the San Diego Surf... The San Diego Traffic...The San Diego Classy...The San Diego Chilaquiles...Endless choices to bat around.

San Diego. It's not our fault Spanos and his brood could not handle their business here. Names would be fun to pick out. Like the San Diego Surf... The San Diego Traffic...The San Diego Classy...The San Diego Chilaquiles...Endless choices to bat around.
San Diego Homeless.

I love the town but holy Toledo what a homeless problem there

Users who are viewing this thread