What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Predicting 2018 "LEAGUE WINNERS" (1 Viewer)

Football Menace

Footballguy
When I say "League Winners," Im talking of players who shift the balance of power of the league.  Guys who are drafted later that turn a good team into a Juggernaut, or some sort of Death Star team.  Think of the Kamaras or Adams Thielens of the world.  Or for some of the older guys like myself, Preist Holmes or Arian Fosters.  Here goes.....

1.  Tarik Cohen - Just a super explosive playmaker.  Maybe the best offensive option on the team.  If this guy doesn't have at least 80+ catches and 100 carries,  the Bears are doing it all wrong.

2.  Corey Davis - Big, Big WR who can run all of the routes and also box out if necessary.  Time to continue what was started at the end of last season between he and Mariota.

And my darkhorse.....

3.  Michael Gallup - Terrance Williams?!?!  Allen Hurns?!?!  Cole Beasley?!?! Geoff Swaim?!?!  REALLY?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll second Tarik Cohen, could end up as a RB1, also think he gets atleast 80 catches. I’ll add Aaron Jones and Nick Chubb. Think both of them are the most talented RB on there team and while it will be a slow start for both of them the second half of the season will be big for them. 

Not as sure on WRs. I’ll throw Will Fuller out there, won’t catch 7 tds on 15 catches or whatever it was but do think he can get double digit tds and close to 1000 yards. John Brown is getting a lot more attention and I think he may have become Flacco’s favorite so a 60-1000-6 like he had the one year in Arizona could be attainable. Then this may not count but I’ll go AJ Green, it seems like he has been falling in drafts now for awhile and tons of guys are down on him. He will finish as a top 3 WR this year.

TE I’ll take Trey Burton, sadly don’t have him on as many teams as I’d like but will be the next delanie walker. Moves teams and will be a top 5 TE

I'm not seeing the Cohen call. There will be games he puts up 5 or less points. Howard is not going anywhere. Even if he was injured Cohen would still split with someone.

Corey Clement: Ajayi is already having knee issues and the season hasn't started. Clement will have some stand alone value as well but if Ajayi was ever injured Clement could be huge. 

Weebs210 said:
I'm not seeing the Cohen call. There will be games he puts up 5 or less points. Howard is not going anywhere. Even if he was injured Cohen would still split with someone.

Corey Clement: Ajayi is already having knee issues and the season hasn't started. Clement will have some stand alone value as well but if Ajayi was ever injured Clement could be huge. 
I agree with this. I also really like Cole - I think he is gonna have some big games. The consistency may not be there but he could win some weeks for you. 

QB: Mahommes - big arm, tons of weapons and being drafted as a QB2. Could see a top 5 finish if he breaks out. Roethlisberger - decent chance he continues to put up elite QB1 numbers for home games. You'd need to pair him with someone though. Goff - Finished as a low end QB1 last year. If you believe he'll continue to ascend and the addition of Cooks will help his numbers you'd be looking at a mid QB1 for a guy who may be sitting on the waiver wire in re-draft leagues where teams don't roster 2 QB's. 

RB: Clement - for the reasons already mentioned and the fact that Philly has a very good o-line

WR: Gordon - you can't have a "league winners" list without mentioning him. Has #1 overall WR potential if his head in screwed on right. Goodwin - Being drafted as a low end WR2 or high end WR3. Was putting up WR1 numbers when Garoppolo started. Could be a WR1 this year if that trend continues. M Williams/Lockett - Both appear to be ascending and in line to be the #2 WR on their team. It would take injuries to Allen and Baldwin respectively for either of these to hit "league winner" status. Imagine what either guy could do with the target volume they'd receive if their team's #1 WR went down.

TE: Reed/Eifert - If either could magically be injury free all year you'd have an elite TE. Njoku - if he can limit the drops and continue to ascend you could have a strong TE at the price of a later round flyer.

Well we're just spit-balling. These guys win leagues only because not many people see it coming.

But I guess I'd suggest Peyton Barber pretty confidently. Somebody will get a starting RB after the 6th round - that's crazy. Any starting running back could get hurt too, who can guess which one, and the back up instantly becomes a nominee for this thread. That's just a windfall. 

Also Mahomes or John Ross or Evan Engram (who has a high price tag for this thread) or whichever GB RB wins the job or whichever IND RB wins the job or Philip Dorsett or Trey Burton. That's about it.

QB I will say Mahomes and Winston

RB I like the Dion Lewis call in PPR. IMO he could have the most fantasy points out of that backfield in TEN. 

League winners are often times those guys who really have a strong second half of the season. I see two RBs as prime candidates for that distinction: Aaron Jones and Mark Ingram. Both are starting the season suspended, and are therefore such huge bargains. 

I echo the mentions of Corey Clement and Barber based on ADP but I think anyone not having drafted yet is not going to realize that much of a bargain as others have already. Mainly for Barber. 

WR Godwin, Ross, Lockett. I see all 3 of those as potentially being the highest scoring WRs on their teams in PPR leagues (yes, I said it) 

TE I will keep to myself for now until after the subscriber contest closes and my waivers clear. ;)  There are two I definitely like as extremely under valued 

It'd be interesting to get homer views on this.  From CLE, all I see right now is the defense.  Nobody on offense has looked amazing.  Carlos Hyde looks like he will exceed his ADP.

It'd be interesting to get homer views on this.  From CLE, all I see right now is the defense.  Nobody on offense has looked amazing.  Carlos Hyde looks like he will exceed his ADP.
I've gone from liking the Cleveland offense to finding it so unpredictable that I am just going to walk away 

A lot of people counting on Njoku to be this big sleeper TE. But then we are to believe Gordon and Landry are going to be a dynamic duo with Callaway holding a legitimate role in the offense. All the while Duke Johnson is a great receiving back and Hyde and/or Chubb have great seasons.

It's like suddenly the Cleveland Browns are expected to be the Philadelphia Eagles or New York Giants with all these players who are considered fantasy relevant / startable. 

Pass

I think a league winning RB has to have three down capability as a prerequisite. Cohen will never play on all three downs and although Lewis is more than capable of functioning on all three I believe TEN would still have him split work in order to keep him fresh in the event Henry went down. Examples of RBs which I think could just straight up win leagues are James Conner, Spencer Ware and John Kelly although I'm also not 100% positive they wouldn't split work as well. But I at least know that they can work on all downs.

3 at 3 positions:

1. Burton - in a situation that could make him a top 4 TE. RZ target, check down option for a new QB. Maybe even a “philly special” PaTD snuck in for good measure. 

2. Stephon Diggs - I realize he’s a 4th round pick, so people will expect major contribution.  But if he can play all 16, and with Cousins chucking the rock, this might be the last year you can draft him this low. He could easily be a top 6 WR. The talent is there, the only question is health IMO

3. Royce Freeman - another 4th rounder who could be a 1st rounder next year. I hate to anoint any rookie, but he’s been the most impressive rookie RB I've seen in a while, and given his competition for touches, I don’t think it will be long before he’s a true feature back in Denver, who always wants to run more than they’ve been capable of the last few seasons. This is probably my riskiest call, but I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see Freeman have a top 7 season. 

2. Stephon Diggs - I realize he’s a 4th round pick, so people will expect major contribution.  But if he can play all 16, and with Cousins chucking the rock, this might be the last year you can draft him this low. He could easily be a top 6 WR. The talent is there, the only question is health IMO
I want to give credit where it was due, I think it was @menobrown (if some one else I apologize) who pointed out that the Vikings QB as a whole (Bradford and Keenum) combined to put up QB10 numbers in 2017 which means Cousins is likely not going to be a tremendous improvement over last year, from a fantasy perspective at least.

I want to give credit where it was due, I think it was @menobrown (if some one else I apologize) who pointed out that the Vikings QB as a whole (Bradford and Keenum) combined to put up QB10 numbers in 2017 which means Cousins is likely not going to be a tremendous improvement over last year, from a fantasy perspective at least.
So, I'm probably biased as an Eagles fan, but those guys didn't have John DiFilippo. 

I think a league winning RB has to have three down capability as a prerequisite. Cohen will never play on all three downs and although Lewis is more than capable of functioning on all three I believe TEN would still have him split work in order to keep him fresh in the event Henry went down. Examples of RBs which I think could just straight up win leagues are James Conner, Spencer Ware and John Kelly although I'm also not 100% positive they wouldn't split work as well. But I at least know that they can work on all downs.
I think of a league winning rb as one that scores points which help me win. For guys that end up going more zero RB in teams Cohen is a great guy to grab in the sixth round or so that probably ends up top 20 (PPR of course) with upside for more if he ends up with quite a few TDs. Cohen also has stand alone value all year, where the guys you listed are backups and won’t play anything but a few snaps a game. but I would agree that if one of the stud Rbs get hurt and there backup comes in and does good then yes they would be helpful to winning leagues.

No, but Cousins likes throwing deep & taking risks more than anyone on the Vikings last year. 

Just looking at end of season ranking doesn’t tell the whole story since a lot of checkdowns to Thielen & Rudolph add up to solid production at the end of the day. This, IMO, is putting too fine a point on the stats & not enough eye-test. So far in preseason Cousins has appeared to favor Diggs. 

also, in games he was healthy, Diggs put up WR1 numbers. IMO my prediction comes down to his staying on the field and healthy for 16, which is no guarantee) and likely the reason behind his ADP. 

He’s poised for a breakout given good health. 

I think of a league winning rb as one that scores points which help me win. For guys that end up going more zero RB in teams Cohen is a great guy to grab in the sixth round or so that probably ends up top 20 (PPR of course) with upside for more if he ends up with quite a few TDs. Cohen also has stand alone value all year, where the guys you listed are backups and won’t play anything but a few snaps a game. but I would agree that if one of the stud Rbs get hurt and there backup comes in and does good then yes they would be helpful to winning leagues.
I don't want to turn this into a Cohen thread but every time I look at CHI's pass catchers I see a squeeze happening because I think it's very likely Trubisky is near the bottom in pass attempts this year and I see a bunch of talented pass catchers on their roster in the form of Robinson, Burton, Miller and Cohen. I fully expect Cohen to hold value and maybe Nagy really does plan to scheme for him like Hill but I think it's much safer to treat him like a RB3/flex in PPR then a top 20 option at the position. And even then, I don't see the upside because I don't see the volume - I don't want to bet on some crazy TD to touch ratio. I feel like Cohen's range of outcomes is pretty tight save for a Howard injury and in order for me to consider someone a "league winner", their range of outcomes needs to at least include a top 12 finish at their respective position.

QB: Cam Newton and... Big Ben with a top 5 season. More play action passing, emergence of James Washington. More-so if Vance McDonald can get healthy which it seems he is on the right track.

RB: Derrick Henry (even without a Dion Lewis injury), Aaron Jones, Kenyan Drake, Sony Michel 

WR: I do like the Stefon Diggs call. Also - Josh Gordon of course. Amari Cooper, Marquise Goodwin, Mike Williams

TE: Jimmy Graham (touchdowns galore), OJ Howard

I know these are a lot but these are all guys I think have a chance

Dorsett becomes the highest scoring WR drafted outside the top WR60.  Returns top-30 value, including multiple touchdown days during the fantasy playoffs.

3 at 3 positions:

1. Burton - in a situation that could make him a top 4 TE. RZ target, check down option for a new QB. Maybe even a “philly special” PaTD snuck in for good measure. 

3. Royce Freeman - another 4th rounder who could be a 1st rounder next year. I hate to anoint any rookie, but he’s been the most impressive rookie RB I've seen in a while, and given his competition for touches, I don’t think it will be long before he’s a true feature back in Denver, who always wants to run more than they’ve been capable of the last few seasons. This is probably my riskiest call, but I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see Freeman have a top 7 season. 
A bunch of 4th - 6th round picks. What was Kamara last year?

A bunch of 4th - 6th round picks. What was Kamara last year?
Burton was an 8th in both my PPR leagues, and I believe his ADP was mid-7th

regardless, I prefaced both Royce & Diggs as higher picks that would be worth more than their draft value, which fits the theme of the topic.

dafaq kamara got to do with anything? I’m not sure what your point is.  :unsure:

There's not many late round picks on here which misses the point imo. Kamara isn't nearly as valuable if he isn't a 10+ rounder. Nobody's surprised when a 4th pick does completely awesome. It won't win ur league for you. Diggs, Burton, Davis or Cousins aren't even close in value to historic examples like Odell Beckham, Alvin Kamara, Adam Thielen, or Jimmy Graham.

There's not many late round picks on here which misses the point imo. Kamara isn't nearly as valuable if he isn't a 10+ rounder. Nobody's surprised when a 4th pick does completely awesome. It won't win ur league for you. Diggs, Burton, Davis or Cousins aren't even close in value to historic examples like Odell Beckham, Alkin Kamara, Adam Thielen, or Jimmy Graham.
Member Julius Thomas? That year was a slam dunk in fantasy.

All of my teams were stacked.  :banned:

Kelvin Benjamin. 9.07 ADP. Double digit touchdowns, Top 25 Finish.

SOTD.
I nearly added him. I grabbed him up in the 14th. Someone gotta catch the ball on that team and I think he’ll be a monster in PPR for the price of a BYE week filler. 

Hw may not be more than an upside WR3, but for the price you can’t really go wrong. 

There's not many late round picks on here which misses the point imo. Kamara isn't nearly as valuable if he isn't a 10+ rounder. Nobody's surprised when a 4th pick does completely awesome. It won't win ur league for you. Diggs, Burton, Davis or Cousins aren't even close in value to historic examples like Odell Beckham, Alkin Kamara, Adam Thielen, or Jimmy Graham.
 Perhaps read the words on the screen then to see why I posted those players.

my call isn’t that a 10th round pick will come out of nowhere - it’s that a 4th round WR may finish like a 1st.

or that a 5th round RB may finish like a 1st.

or that an 8th round TE will be top 4.

if you disagree, by all means post your dissenting opinion & we can have a respectful discussion about it. 

If you’re only here to criticize my post, maybe don’t click “submit reply”. 

I would add Rod Smith here 

I nearly added him. I grabbed him up in the 14th. Someone gotta catch the ball on that team and I think he’ll be a monster in PPR for the price of a BYE week filler. 

Hw may not be more than an upside WR3, but for the price you can’t really go wrong. 
Oh yeah, he is the exact definition of what drafting value looks like.

Not really sure what his "fall from grace" was in the FF community. Went 73/1008/9 as a rookie. Tears his ACL and bounces back with 63/941/7.

Was on pace for 64/950/4 before being traded to Buffalo.

Perhaps read the words on the screen then to see why I posted those players.

my call isn’t that a 10th round pick will come out of nowhere - it’s that a 4th round WR may finish like a 1st.

or that a 5th round RB may finish like a 1st.

or that an 8th round TE will be top 4.

if you disagree, by all means post your dissenting opinion & we can have a respectful discussion about it. 

If you’re only here to criticize my post, maybe don’t click “submit reply”. 
Actually, Hot Sauce Guy, I can say whatever I want. If that is to criticize you what said, so be it. And in fact I did post my dissenting opinion when I hit submit reply.

Manny Sanders seems like great value with a potential Top 15 WR season as Keenum fav target.

Lamar Miller is going to get a lot of touches in an explosive offense.... could be in for a huge season.

Qb: Trubisky, Keenum, Carr

RB: Hill, JWilliams, KJohnson, CJAnderson

WR: Goodwin, Lockett, Crabtree

these guys could put a team over the top

Manny Sanders seems like great value with a potential Top 15 WR season as Keenum fav target.

Lamar Miller is going to get a lot of touches in an explosive offense.... could be in for a huge season.

I missed him everywhere - i keep thinking he’s gonna have his best season since he flashed some ability in Miami. But then I think maybe I’ve given him too many chances.

If he’s healthy, and if Watson shows in a full season what he showed in a brief stint last year, it could open up a lot of holes for Miller - and conversely, if that happens and Miller doesn’t perform, I’m ready to give up hope. 

The texans will probably move on as well. 

I missed him everywhere - i keep thinking he’s gonna have his best season since he flashed some ability in Miami. But then I think maybe I’ve given him too many chances.

If he’s healthy, and if Watson shows in a full season what he showed in a brief stint last year, it could open up a lot of holes for Miller - and conversely, if that happens and Miller doesn’t perform, I’m ready to give up hope. 

The texans will probably move on as well. 
Agreed ... there is nothing in Miller's way that should prevent him from having a great season ..... besides his own doing.

Sitting around a live draft, circa 1998.  I drafted some RB from a bad team, and said, ''Someone's gotta score for this team".

My buddy had just inhaled a massive hit from a blunt, and looked at me.  Without exhaling, he said, ''Ya think so?"

:thumbup:
In the last 2-3 years I’ve implemented a simple policy: don’t draft players from teams you think will be bad.

sometimes there’s a reason they’re bad. Usually it’s those players. Sometimes it’s their coaches. 

I don’t mind players from a good offense with a bad defense - sometimes I specifically aim for QBs/WRs on those teams. 

But in general if I hate a team, I’ll try to avoid their players.  It’s why I had Drake behind Collins & Freeman this year - it might be a mistake. It might cost me some FFB points. 

But I feel better about not having a Dolphins RB after years of feeling like an idiot for drafting Dolphins RBs. 

back on track though, Benjamin may be an exception to that - he is truly the best receiving option that team has outside of McCoy, and he’s looked pretty solid this preseason, for whatever that’s worth. 

Lol at predicting 80 rec for Cohen. I like him and all, but I doubt he gets that kind of usage. I actually think his teammate will be a league winner. Jordan Howard has been touted all offseason as a 3 down guy, and I’ve seen him go as  late as rd 4 (10 team). Cohen will have his place in the offense but it’s going to be Howard getting a ton of work. 

Lol at predicting 80 rec for Cohen. I like him and all, but I doubt he gets that kind of usage. I actually think his teammate will be a league winner. Jordan Howard has been touted all offseason as a 3 down guy, and I’ve seen him go as  late as rd 4 (10 team). Cohen will have his place in the offense but it’s going to be Howard getting a ton of work. 
 No kidding, especially with the additions of Robinson and Burton.

I would tend to agree if not for Kamara last year. League winner and not even the starting RB. 

Users who are viewing this thread