What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pressing a Burger with spatula while cooking (1 Viewer)

I squish your burger.

• I squish it while cooking

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • I don't squish it while cooking

Votes: 146 86.9%

• Total voters

El Floppo

Footballguy
The wife insists on doing this when she cooks burgers (grill or pan)... not at the beginning while still raw, but after it's been cooked halfway and flipped, pushing out lots of juice.

I learned (right or wrong) that the juice is part of what makes the burger better, more moist, tastier. 

so... it's a simple question:

do you squish or don't you?

Only acceptable if you're making smashburgers.  Otherwise, never.

Think I read flipping only once is a myth though.  
A myth in regards to what?

If you want a great sear, let it sit longer on one side. That alone makes it usually a one and done flip, unless they're very thick burgers. 

but my understanding of making a smashburger- the smash/squish happens at the beginning, right after placing it on the grill/pan while it's still raw and uncooked.

again, my understanding- squishing it after the burger has started to cook releases the fat/juice and makes it drier and less tasty. that's what this pole is about...

This. 

but my understanding of making a smashburger- the smash/squish happens at the beginning, right after placing it on the grill/pan while it's still raw and uncooked.

again, my understanding- squishing it after the burger has started to cook releases the fat/juice and makes it drier and less tasty. that's what this pole is about...
Correct.  You keep them in a ball of meat. Once you put them on the flattop you smash them down, wait until the crust builds then flip.  This builds outstanding flavor because of the crust much in the same way you want to crust on your steak.  

This. 

Correct.  You keep them in a ball of meat. Once you put them on the flattop you smash them down, wait until the crust builds then flip.  This builds outstanding flavor because of the crust much in the same way you want to crust on your steak.  
this isn’t unique to smash burgers though, right?

It’s the main reason I only flip my patties once because it gives it a chance to build a crust. 

this isn’t unique to smash burgers though, right?

It’s the main reason I only flip my patties once because it gives it a chance to build a crust. 
Smashing it exposes more surface area and accelerates the process.  It’s a far superior method to get a good crust.  

The wife insists on doing this when she cooks burgers (grill or pan)... not at the beginning while still raw, but after it's been cooked halfway and flipped, pushing out lots of juice.

I learned (right or wrong) that the juice is part of what makes the burger better, more moist, tastier. 

so... it's a simple question:

do you squish or don't you?
no squish

but you’re married so the wife is right

Smashburgers are the thing. You neanderthals are living in the olden times.

Make a ball with your ground beef. Put them on a griddle on your cooktop of choice. I use my grill with a cast iron skillet on top.

After it cooks for a minute drop some onions on top of that ball and smash it thin. Season. Flip once and then cream your pants.

Best burger ever. I’ll never go back to a regular old burger.

Make a ball with your ground beef. Put them on a griddle on your cooktop of choice. I use my grill with a cast iron skillet on top.

After it cooks for a minute drop some onions on top of that ball and smash it thin. Season. Flip once and then cream your pants.

So you squish it after flipping then...like I've asked. You wanna wife-swap?

Yep.  Since I started making smash burgers I have zero desire to go back.  

When you flip it, it then finishes cooking the onions under the burger. Place the cheese on top after the flip, and the buns on top of the cheese to meld them together. 

5 ingredients: salt, beef, bun, onions, cheese. People ask me to make them every time they come over. 

When you flip it, it then finishes cooking the onions under the burger. Place the cheese on top after the flip, and the buns on top of the cheese to meld them together. 

5 ingredients: salt, beef, bun, onions, cheese. People ask me to make them every time they come over. 
Yep.

:thumbup:

How I do it is take a small ball of beef, like a big golf ball. On griddle. Smash down. Put a big pile of sliced onions on top, super thin. Use a mandolin to slice them. Salt it up. Let cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip, keep onions under the burger. Little salt. Top with cheese. Put top of bun on top of cheese. Put heel of bun on griddle. Wait another 2-3 minutes and put it together. Ladies will want you, men will respect you. 

How I do it is take a small ball of beef, like a big golf ball. On griddle. Smash down. Put a big pile of sliced onions on top, super thin. Use a mandolin to slice them. Salt it up. Let cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip, keep onions under the burger. Little salt. Top with cheese. Put top of bun on top of cheese. Put heel of bun on griddle. Wait another 2-3 minutes and put it together. Ladies will want you, men will respect you. 
Try slowwwwly caramelizing sweet onions beforehand in some good butter and use those instead of raw.  Men will still respect you but the downside is they'll want you just like the ladies do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try slowwwwly caramelizing sweet onions beforehand in some good butter and use those instead of raw.  
Yea my wife has me do them that way as she likes hers cooked down but I like how they come out this way, if sliced super thin. So while I’m cooking everybody else’s burgers I have her onions slowly cooking on the side. 

Use your thumb or a teaspoon to make a depression in the center of an uncooked patty.  This will keep it from swelling too much in the middle while cooking (and reduce the temptation to press it down).
This is what we do. It also cooks the burger more evenly. 

A myth in regards to what?

If you want a great sear, let it sit longer on one side. That alone makes it usually a one and done flip, unless they're very thick burgers. 
I don’t think it matters all that much, but flipping a lot does not do anything detrimental. In fact, it helps them cook faster. You can also still get a good sear. 

You are correct about the smashing at the start so I guess the correct answer is to never smash once fat has begun to render. 

90/10 - no smash

85/15 - little or no smash

80/20 - moderate smash

75/25 - hard smash
why don’t you just buy the meat with the fat percent you want instead of smashing and wondering whether you’re going to end up with dry burgers or not?

Edit: Actually, it’s a burger. You should never buy less than 20% fat beef. 

Beef burgers no.  Turkey burgers yes (salmonella fears)
Interesting distinction.

Definitely don't want anything but fully cooked turkey burgers. I use a knife to slice a slit into t burgers while cooking to make sure there's no pink. But they're already too dry (vs beef) so I don't want to squish and make them drier...thoughts?

Interesting distinction.

Definitely don't want anything but fully cooked turkey burgers. I use a knife to slice a slit into t burgers while cooking to make sure there's no pink. But they're already too dry (vs beef) so I don't want to squish and make them drier...thoughts?

You should be fine if there's no pink but I'm always a little cautious.  I  know turkey burgers are going to be pretty dry by nature so I just play it safe and smash.  I'm normally cooking with much thinner patties as well.  

You should be fine if there's no pink but I'm always a little cautious.  I  know turkey burgers are going to be pretty dry by nature so I just play it safe and smash.  I'm normally cooking with much thinner patties as well.  
We mostly do turkey burgers, so I'm comfortable cooking them. Yeah- usually thinner to make sure they're cooked fully...I can't help but over cook fatter ones just to make sure they're cooked all the way through. Without the fat content, they're already so dry I don't like making them drier with the squish...which is why I slice them when I think they're done to see the insides. Not something you feel comfortable doing (or a thermometer, I suppose)?

Interesting distinction.

Buy an instant read thermometer.  Quit cutting into your meat(s).

Users who are viewing this thread