What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pressing a Burger with spatula while cooking (1 Viewer)

I squish your burger.

• I squish it while cooking

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • I don't squish it while cooking

Votes: 146 86.9%

• Total voters
I don't understand the logic here.  Do you think you're getting rid of the salmonella by smashing the turkey burger? 
beef burgers are ok (preferred) to be cooked and eaten rare- medium-rare. turkey burgers have to be cooked thoroughly- no rare allowed.

he's expediting the fully cooked part by making it even drier and with less taste than normal turkey burgers. 

I put a piece of parchment paper down, put a ball of hamburger meat on it, and put another piece of parchment paper on the ball o'meat.  I smoosh with a flat plate, take off the top parchment paper, season the top, and put the burger seasoned side down in the skillet.  Season the side facing up now, and wait for that wonderful crust to form before flipping.

I do it this way so I can season the bottom side before it hits the hot pan.  

No.

Smash burger people are nutso.   It makes no difference whether you form the patty before or after it hits the grill/griddle for the type of crust, that's only dependent on heat.  Smashing it while cooking only increases the chance you loose juice.

Nope.

10 and 2 for marks on each side
This, rotate once each side, flip once.

And to add, if your burger isn't at least as tall as it is wide when you're done building you are doing it wrong.  I want the swelling in the middle, that's the juice.  I'll add a dollop of garlic butter in the middle too.  You just need to start with a diameter of a burger larger than the bun, preferably smaller diameter buns.

Last edited by a moderator:
This, rotate once each side, flip once.

And to add, if your burger isn't at least as tall as it is wide when you're done building you are doing it wrong.  I want the swelling in the middle, that's the juice.  I'll add a dollop of garlic butter in the middle too.  You just need to start with a diameter of a burger larger than the bun, preferably smaller diameter buns.

You do realize that if you make the dimple in the middle of the patty when forming it, you wont get that bulge and the resulting burger will be just as juicy, and can be eaten without getting lockjaw, right?

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-burger-lab-how-to-shape-a-burger-for-grilling-or-broiling

You do realize that if you make the dimple in the middle of the patty when forming it, you wont get that bulge and the resulting burger will be just as juicy, and can be eaten without getting lockjaw, right?

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-burger-lab-how-to-shape-a-burger-for-grilling-or-broiling
Thick and juicy.   Even the photos they used show more juice in the undimpled version.  I'm suggesting you figure out the bun to burger ratio ahead of time instead of trying to keep the burger flat.  :thumbup:  

ETA:  I think we are saying the same thing.  They say:

Simple moral of the story? When forming large (6 ounce or larger) patties for the grill or the broiler, form the patties wider than you'd like them to be, and create a small dimple in the center by pressing down with your fingers.
I don't really need any dimple the way I form my burgers.

Thick and juicy.   Even the photos they used show more juice in the undimpled version.  I'm suggesting you figure out the bun to burger ratio ahead of time instead of keeping the burger flat.  :thumbup:  

Juice is not lost by forming a dimple before cooking.  If anything, an evenly thick burger is ultimately going to need less time on the grill to cook through, resulting in less drippings of juice while on the grill.  

These are nitpicks though.  What really was a game changer for me was grinding my own meat right before cooking and using a coarser grind than normal.  So, so much better than pre-ground meat.  

Juice is not lost by forming a dimple before cooking.  If anything, an evenly thick burger is ultimately going to need less time on the grill to cook through, resulting in less drippings of juice while on the grill.  

These are nitpicks though.  What really was a game changer for me was grinding my own meat right before cooking and using a coarser grind than normal.  So, so much better than pre-ground meat.  
 I have had some great blends (ie: ribeye, brisket, chuck, sirloin, pork)

I edited my post above.  I think we are saying the same thing.

I think the way most people form their burgers they are naturally thicker in the middle to start with.  While pointing out using a dimple, might cause people to make them more uniform, I make sure mine aren't thicker in the middle and are significantly larger in diameter than the bun.   I like a generally thick juicy burger, not necessarily flat,, but I never get a "golf ball" either.

Also use as little manipulation of the burger as possible when forming.  I squeeze the burger between my two hands for flatten, then use a thumb finger motion to pinch together the circumference.  That's it.

And it should go without being said, high quality meat from a butcher, not a supermarket.  20%+.

your wife is wrong; of course, if you point out she is wrong for smashing.. well  you probably won't be doing any smashing so tread at your own risk. 

I don't understand the logic here.  Do you think you're getting rid of the salmonella by smashing the turkey burger? 

It just expedites the cook and ensures I'm not getting a medium rare turkey burger.  You do lose some juice but you're also cooking it in the render while griddle/pan frying.  I don't do this on a grill and generally more patient there.  

Doesn't hurt to smash a bit the first couple of minutes. Once it actually starts cooking, no smashing 

I'm in the "no smash" camp here, but I will caveat - I fully acknowledge and practice that "no smash" leads to juicier burgers with more taste.  My wife likes hers medium-well, so I never smash her burgers.  I like mine closer to medium.  Now I think we can agree that the only thing that rivals a dry burger is a disgustingly messy burger.  When I make a big 1/2 - 3/4 pound behemoth burger and cook it medium, the first bite I take leaves the bottom bun looking like a hotdog bun at the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest - soggy like it's been dipped in water.  That leads to a horrible eating experience - SO - there are times where I will lightly smash to remove some juice to avoid this.  Not so much to dry it out, but enough that I can at least take a bite without it flooding the bottom bun.

I'm in the "no smash" camp here, but I will caveat - I fully acknowledge and practice that "no smash" leads to juicier burgers with more taste.  My wife likes hers medium-well, so I never smash her burgers.  I like mine closer to medium.  Now I think we can agree that the only thing that rivals a dry burger is a disgustingly messy burger.  When I make a big 1/2 - 3/4 pound behemoth burger and cook it medium, the first bite I take leaves the bottom bun looking like a hotdog bun at the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest - soggy like it's been dipped in water.  That leads to a horrible eating experience - SO - there are times where I will lightly smash to remove some juice to avoid this.  Not so much to dry it out, but enough that I can at least take a bite without it flooding the bottom bun.
A layer of mayo on the bottom bun will prevent the juices from soaking into the bun.

The wife insists on doing this when she cooks burgers (grill or pan)... not at the beginning while still raw, but after it's been cooked halfway and flipped, pushing out lots of juice.

I learned (right or wrong) that the juice is part of what makes the burger better, more moist, tastier. 

so... it's a simple question:

do you squish or don't you?

when i flipped burgers at McDonalds as a 17 yr old, we pressed the burgers.  I think it helped to cook them faster, but not sure.    I mean if you have a thin, frozen patty and you want to cook it asap, thats probably the way to go.   

But if you want a tasty, not necessarily flat pancake shaped patty, then don't press it down like you're ironing a shirt.   Just flip and forget baby.

when i flipped burgers at McDonalds as a 17 yr old, we pressed the burgers.  I think it helped to cook them faster, but not sure.    I mean if you have a thin, frozen patty and you want to cook it asap, thats probably the way to go.   

But if you want a tasty, not necessarily flat pancake shaped patty, then don't press it down like you're ironing a shirt.   Just flip and forget baby.
Interesting. When I worked there we used clamshell grills and pressing was a big no-no. I remember the manager would catch us doing it from time to time and deride us for trying to be "chefs" and tell us just to follow the procedure perfected by the corporate overlords. It wasn't as big a cardinal sin as putting a Filet-O-Fish in the french fry fryer or using a whole piece of cheese on said fishwich but it was a biggie.

Interesting. When I worked there we used clamshell grills and pressing was a big no-no. I remember the manager would catch us doing it from time to time and deride us for trying to be "chefs" and tell us just to follow the procedure perfected by the corporate overlords. It wasn't as big a cardinal sin as putting a Filet-O-Fish in the french fry fryer or using a whole piece of cheese on said fishwich but it was a biggie.
That putting of only a half slice of cheese on a McDonald's Filet-O-Fish® has probably made McDonald's millions of dollars over the years. 

lately i have been smashing my raw beef as explained above with wax paper. this may violate the "don't work it too much rule", but they're coming out really good. i make a couple slices of bacon in the pan. i put a pancake flat patty twice the size of the bun on down and fry it in the bacon grease. i get a patty beautifully charred on both sides with nice crinkly crunchy edges and plenty moist. it ends up just a touch bigger than the bun, which is nice. i may or may not eat the bacon in the burger. 

how is the filet of fish?

i have never had one.   :mellow:
Imagine a small square fishstick on a limp steamed white bun with a couple generic pickles and a dot of tartar sauce and a half slice of processed cheese. Or maybe a whole slice if young Ron was making it and in a particular anarchistic mood that day.  So, just as terrible and delicious as you might think.

Imagine a small square fishstick on a limp steamed white bun with a couple generic pickles and a dot of tartar sauce and a half slice of processed cheese. Or maybe a whole slice if young Ron was making it and in a particular anarchistic mood that day.  So, just as terrible and delicious as you might think.
I always wondered who the people were that when going to McD's think... "yeah- I'll have a fish sandwich".

I think most culinary experts would agree that to get the real fish deal one would have to set sail for LONG JOHN SILVER'S. 🐠

This thread pushed me to In-N-Out for lunch. Double/Double, no tomato, raw and grilled onions, fries well done.

i also prefer a coarser grind but my hand grinder is in pieces in a box in the garage somewhere. i just have the butcher at the grocer coarse grind a chuck or tri-tip roast. can't say i can tell the difference, but i use a lot of spice lettuce tomato onion condiments. 

i also prefer a coarser grind but my hand grinder is in pieces in a box in the garage somewhere. i just have the butcher at the grocer coarse grind a chuck or tri-tip roast. can't say i can tell the difference, but i use a lot of spice lettuce tomato onion condiments. 

Just doing this makes a huge difference.  I worked in a butcher for 10 years.  The ground beef is usually made from leftover scraps and is never made from fresh meat. I mean, it's not bad, rotten meat, but its not fresh either.  I rarely buy pre-ground.  

I always wondered who the people were that when going to McD's think... "yeah- I'll have a fish sandwich".
and the fact that it costs as much (and they actually think of it) as a "premium" sandwich now....IIRC which may not be the case because I am old....I thought it used to be a lot cheaper....get off my lawn....

You guys ever try putting an ice cube in the patty dimple? Apparently, it's been tested and proven to result in a juicier burger. :shrug:  

The wife insists on doing this when she cooks burgers (grill or pan)... not at the beginning while still raw, but after it's been cooked halfway and flipped, pushing out lots of juice.

I learned (right or wrong) that the juice is part of what makes the burger better, more moist, tastier. 

so... it's a simple question:

do you squish or don't you?
The beginning squish can be ok

Smashburgers are the thing. You neanderthals are living in the olden times.

Make a ball with your ground beef. Put them on a griddle on your cooktop of choice. I use my grill with a cast iron skillet on top.

After it cooks for a minute drop some onions on top of that ball and smash it thin. Season. Flip once and then cream your pants.

Best burger ever. I’ll never go back to a regular old burger.

I'm with you.  Burgers are better thin and slightly undercooked, with a nice coating of salt and pepper smashed into the sear.  And some cheese.  Double patty if you need more meat, because that way you get twice the seasoning.

Thick burgers are dry and usually overcooked on the outside.  

Actually this is the way burgers were originally made.  You can even see it in some old cartoons like with Wimpy in Popeye. The 'thick and juicy burger" is an 80s advertising gimmick to get customers away from McDs and other thin burger places.

Go with Chief D.  Smash your burger and get twice the sear and twice the flavor.

I'm with you.  Burgers are better thin and slightly undercooked, with a nice coating of salt and pepper smashed into the sear.  And some cheese.  Double patty if you need more meat, because that way you get twice the seasoning.

Thick burgers are dry and usually overcooked on the outside.  

Actually this is the way burgers were originally made.  You can even see it in some old cartoons like with Wimpy in Popeye. The 'thick and juicy burger" is an 80s advertising gimmick to get customers away from McDs and other thin burger places.

Go with Chief D.  Smash your burger and get twice the sear and twice the flavor.
No. Popeye cartoon was invented 30-40 years after the hamburger for one, two is the inconclusive detail in the cartoon.  That's made up. 

Fletcher Davis, one of many claims to the original buger is definitely not thin. Link

Or Hamburger Charlie. Link

Try slowwwwly caramelizing sweet onions beforehand in some good butter and use those instead of raw.  Men will still respect you but the downside is they'll want you just like the ladies do.

Yea my wife has me do them that way as she likes hers cooked down but I like how they come out this way, if sliced super thin. So while I’m cooking everybody else’s burgers I have her onions slowly cooking on the side. 

Cook a few pieces of bacon beforehand then cook the onions in the bacon fat.  Cook the onions in the fat and the pour the fat into the burger before making your patties/balls.

Smashburgers are the thing. You neanderthals are living in the olden times.

Make a ball with your ground beef. Put them on a griddle on your cooktop of choice. I use my grill with a cast iron skillet on top.

After it cooks for a minute drop some onions on top of that ball and smash it thin. Season. Flip once and then cream your pants.

Best burger ever. I’ll never go back to a regular old burger.

Enjoyed the burger - not a fan of the clean up.

Users who are viewing this thread