What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PRO-LIFE, ANTI-WOMAN? Challenge issued to Pro-Lifers (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
Woman Challenges Pro-Life Movement to Donate $1 Million to Prevent Her Abortion

Pro-life and pro-choice advocates today both criticized a website recently launched by a woman who says that she is seven weeks pregnant and is demanding $1 million from pro-life supporters in exchange for not having an abortion.

The website, prolifeantiwoman.com, asks in large print, "How much would you pay to stop an abortion?"

"I have every intention of having an abortion," the woman writes anonymously in an essay posted to the site, "but I'm giving you a chance to stop it."

She describes herself as a 26-year-old graduate student who lives in a state that recently passed a law requiring women to wait 72 hours after a consultation with a doctor before getting an abortion. Last month, North Carolina became the fourth state — after Missouri, South Dakota, and Utah — to adopt such a law.

Beginning on July 7, the woman will give pro-life advocates 72 hours to make donations. If they reach $1 million, she says that she will deliver the baby, give it up for adoption, and put all of the money in a trust fund for her child. If that amount is not raised, she will return the donations and go through with an abortion that she has already scheduled for July 10.

The author of the website seems skeptical that the million-dollar sum will be raised, and presents herself as intent on illustrating for the public that pro-life supporters will actually not do whatever it takes to prevent an abortion.

"The pro-life movement cares very little about saving lives and far more about controlling women by minimizing their choices in a wide variety of ways," she writes, "not the least of which is readily available reproductive health care."

She said that the 157 million Americans who identify as pro-life need only donate less than a cent each to prevent the abortion — though it is unclear if her website will actually accept donations of a fraction of a cent.

"I hope to give the American public a concrete example that the conservative right in America doesn't actually care about the life of a child, they care about controlling the lives and choices of women," the essay says. "We have to acknowledge this and we have to stop it."

The author of the website said that she will remain anonymous throughout the process.

Pro-life advocates told VICE News today that there was consensus among movement leaders to not donate to the project.'It's almost a kind of terrorism, holding someone hostage this way.'

"This smacks of extortion and a media stunt," Troy Newman, president of the pro-life group Operation Rescue, told VICE News. "There's nobody that's going to give in to this ridiculous piece of nonsense trying to present to us an ultimatum."

This sentiment was echoed by Eric Scheidler, executive director of the Pro-Life League.

"It's one thing to be a desperate woman seeking an abortion, but this woman is exploiting the situation, holding their own unborn child hostage for a million dollars," he said. "It's almost a kind of terrorism, holding someone hostage this way."

Newman and Scheidler said that pro-life groups support pregnant women with money and resources across America in their effort to help prevent abortions — including at many crisis pregnancy centers where staff members attempt to discourage women from pursuing one — but their inclination to do so stops short of participating in this sort of crowdfunding.

[SIZE=.95em]"We've had a longstanding position that we don't negotiate with terrorists," Newman said. "What would stop her or a thousand other women from just getting pregnant and thinking the pro-life movement would give them a million dollars? That's why we don't give into extortion and threats."[/SIZE]

"But we are all praying," he added. "I was on large conference call yesterday and we all prayed that this woman will change her mind, see the error of her ways, feel the quickening of her baby, and have a change of heart."

Joyce Arthur, executive director of the Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada, said that although the author of the website raises valid points, she doesn't think the "PR stunt" will work.

"It sounds sincere," she said. "It's an interesting and perhaps clever idea, but I disagree with it because I don't think it will fulfill the goal that it states. She wants to show the hypocrisy of the pro-life movement and make them step up to the plate, but I don't think it's going to work. They're not looking at it from that perspective. They'll say it's extortion or something like that."

Nevertheless, Arthur agrees with the author's assertion that pro-life supporters don't actually care about women and babies.

"It's already proven by other things seen in culture, one key example being all the crisis pregnancy centers that are run by the anti-abortion people who claim that they'll help women," she said. "They don't, really. They give minimal help, a few diapers, parenting classes. They don't prepare women for the huge job and expense it is to raise a child."

Arthur suggested that this amounts to an abandonment of expecting mothers in need of assistance.

"Myself and other prochoice advocates are convinced that the anti-choice supporters are more about punishing women for having sex than saving babies," she remarked.
TLDR: Woman opens crowdfunding account and gives pro-life movement a chance to act and stop abortion by raising $1MM. If the money is raised, she will cancel the appointment, have the child, and put it up for adoption. The $1MM will be placed in trust for the child when they turn 21. There will be a 72hr window to raise the money (based on the 72hr waiting period for a woman to have an abortion in that state.

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally support a woman's right to choose, but I'd be fine making an exception here.

Ugh... Such stupidity. Whatever college she is attending should screen their candidates better.

She'll put all the money into a trust fund for the child. It's refreshing to know that she isn't doing it for any money for herself.

Did you ever notice that women who are against abortion are women you wouldn't want to bang anyway?

I just love her premise. If you do not agree with her about the morality of killing fetuses then you must hate women and babies. This kind of argument is what is wrong with this country, people constantly projecting false motivations on other people to belittle their position. Are you listening Tim?

I just love her premise. If you do not agree with her about the morality of killing fetuses then you must hate women and babies. This kind of argument is what is wrong with this country, people constantly projecting false motivations on other people to belittle their position. Are you listening Tim?
Why are you bringing me into this?

I'm too depressed about the subject to nail down the source, but I think the majority of babies aborted worldwide are female, and since many folks claim to support a woman's right to choose, why not support the female child's right to choose whether it wants to live or not? Not to mention that genetically, the unborn child is a separate being from the mother, but must rely on the mother for protection and nutrition.

So she's greedy? Why is there outrage from pro-choice people? I'm sure there are plenty of greedy people on earth. If it's not a child yet, then what's the problem? She's just deciding not to bring a kid into the world unless she has enough money.

If you think abortion is murder, then yeah this is horrific, but then so is abortion to begin with.

So she's greedy? Why is there outrage from pro-choice people? I'm sure there are plenty of greedy people on earth. If it's not a child yet, then what's the problem? She's just deciding not to bring a kid into the world unless she has enough money.

If you think abortion is murder, then yeah this is horrific, but then so is abortion to begin with.
I know that this is going to BLOW YOUR MIND, but there is actually a middle ground between "abortion is murder, every fertilized egg has as much right to live as you or me" and "fetuses are completely worthless until they take their first breath and should be discarded as readily as expired yogurt." Most pro-choice people fall into that middle ground.

How about growing up knowing you exist because of strangers donating money and that your mother didn't give a ####?

This kid will either never have a life or have to deal with that.

Best outcome would be that she doesn't raise the money then lives the rest of her life being labelled as a crazy ##### who failed in an extortion attempt.

Because you are one of the worst offenders. Your MOP is to group all everyone on the other side of the issue into one, choose some of the most ridiculous arguments from the most radical elements and assign it to the entire group, and then cast motivations onto the group.

Because you are one of the worst offenders. Your MOP is to group all everyone on the other side of the issue into one, choose some of the most ridiculous arguments from the most radical elements and assign it to the entire group, and then cast motivations onto the group.
ouch

Well, it seems like her intention here is more about being a #### to pro-lifers than ensuring the financial well-being of the kid. Aside from that I don't really have a problem with it.

Can we track the donation balance starting 7/7? That would give me something to do at work next week. Someone please bump the thread that day if that's the case.

First off, you're completely off, and second, why the hell bring it into this thread?

Why do the liberals who hate guns (and probably also even self- defense) also distrust/dislike local police? What is their solution to prevent crime, bend over and take it? Do they believe if the government takes care of everyone with enough handouts there will be no crime? It is almost like they really have that utopia view if all goods and services are evenly distributed that all societal problems will disappear and all people will be good.

Why do the liberals who hate guns (and probably also even self- defense) also distrust/dislike local police? What is their solution to prevent crime, bend over and take it? Do they believe if the government takes care of everyone with enough handouts there will be no crime? It is almost like they really have that utopia view if all goods and services are evenly distributed that all societal problems will disappear and all people will be good.
I was gonna say: jon_mx's post is the kind of thing you can only post if you know the search function is ####ed, because he pulls that crap about "liberals" and "the left" all the time. Glad someone didn't need a working search function to call him out on it.

It is becoming clear why there are people who have so much hatred towards this movie. It counters their worldview that American soldiers are a bunch of uneducated savages who indescrimitavly slaughter women and children in peaceful-loving self-governing countries who are minding their own business. Most informed people would take issue with about a half-dozen things in that worldview, but those thoughts are wired in their brain. This movie is an assault on several of them. Their emotional response makes sense. Their words, not so much.

In general, Liberals view issues very narrowly through a prism of what they see as fair. Most Liberals can not articulate, acknowledge, or really even understand Conservative Logic which considers many other factors.

But it is ok, no Americans are dying. But liberals find it funny since it is just a bunch of Africans.

why do you hate women and babies?

See how I caveated it with their specific positions, not all liberal. And explained why it is naive to take both those views and how they are not offering a solution. It would be different if I said all liberals who favor gun control hate cops. Then I would be projecting a position that they haven't taken.

Users who are viewing this thread