What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Project Or Die: Greg Bah Bah Bah Bird Bird Bird Ya Bird Is A Turd (1 Viewer)

He could be a monster in those two categories and he may get a bump in OBP leagues. I know we don't want to actually talk about his merits in here but rather argue whether he'll get 450 or 550 AB'S and 25 or 31 HR's, but there was a good fangraphs article today from Jeff Sullivan looking at exit velocity from last year and factoring in the shoulder injury that basically gives him a Lucas Duda floor with upside. That's worth taking as a CI type, with legit 1B starter (top-12) upside... IMO
Good for you if you drafted early and got him at the Duda tier.  But there's no reason to reach at CI, especially for a guy with 150 MLB ABs and questions about playing time and injuries.

Good for you if you drafted early and got him at the Duda tier.  But there's no reason to reach at CI, especially for a guy with 150 MLB ABs and questions about playing time and injuries.
I haven't drafted lately, but is he now going above/within the AGon/Pujols/Hosmer/Belt/Napoli (boring as ####) tier? It seemed he was going after them but maybe with more upside (and probably downside) than any of them? Which I think factoring risk/reward, right after them is just about right.

What drafts have you been doing ? Duda barely gets drafted.  Late rd flyer at best.  Bird has an NFBC adp of 242.  He was going rd 20+ up until this week.  He crept into rd 17 the other day.   Still going super late and behind all the CI's you think he's going before or around.  AGonz/belt are drafted long before Bird is.   Maybe that changes in next 10 days but he's still going pretty late.  Minimal risk. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand how projections work.  Playing time is obviously factored into it.   I'm confident Bird hits 30+  over 500 abs.  Or a semi full season of games.  Somehow that turned into an AB/HR bet.  I was merely trying to protect against injury.   That's the only way I don't see Bird hitting that target.  Carter is career .217 vs RHP.  Not too worried about him.  
I don't blame you for protecting against injuries, but injuries are part of the upside of taking an under, so that hurts my side.  I think he gets to 30 HRs at around 540 ABs, so I have about a 40 AB window here where I win, which doesn't seem all that great.  My 25 HR projection was in less than 500 ABs.  I guess I'd up my number to about 28 given 500 ABs, so you can see where under 30 starts to get dicey as he starts to hit the mid 500s.  I still think he goes under 30, I just think a lot of the time he does it he doesn't reach 500 ABs, and I don't win anything in those scenarios.  Can we drop the AB requirement a bit?

Last edited by a moderator:
obvious response is "durr well you didn't take the bet so you have no room to talk durr"

he's on pace for roughly 413 ABs right now so my reasoning for passing on the bet looks pretty solid

At best, Bird is a two category fantasy contributor.  At worst, he's raking in Scranton.  I wouldn't take the risk at a deep position.
The old man tried to warn you guys. He's seen his share of Greg Birds in his day.

obvious response is "durr well you didn't take the bet so you have no room to talk durr"

he's on pace for roughly 413 ABs right now so my reasoning for passing on the bet looks pretty solid
Haha reasoning he says.  You're a weak soul.   That was your reasoning.  

The old man tried to warn you guys. He's seen his share of Greg Birds in his day.

Well 1/2 right I suppose.  There was no risk with Bird going in rd 20+.  And last I checked it's May 1.  Still some baseball left before writing him off.  The .202 Mark Trumbo with his 2 hrs says hello.  

Well 1/2 right I suppose.  There was no risk with Bird going in rd 20+.  And last I checked it's May 1.  Still some baseball left before writing him off.  The .202 Mark Trumbo with his 2 hrs says hello.  
lmfaooooooo you called him a lock for 30+ hrs. sit tf down.

lmfaooooooo you called him a lock for 30+ hrs. sit tf down.

I did.  And was willing to put $ behind that claim.  You were not.  Again, it is 1 month.   He did hit 11 hrs in 46 games last year.  Whatever.  You're happy about a bet you would have likely won but were too scared to make.  Good job. 

I did.  And was willing to put $ behind that claim.  You were not.  Again, it is 1 month.   He did hit 11 hrs in 46 games last year.  Whatever.  You're happy about a bet you would have likely won but were too scared to make.  Good job. 
You are so stupid it hurts. I would not have won the bet because he's not going to get the ABs. The bet you presented is essentially a free roll for you. I tried to get you to change the terms and you refused. So, here we are.

yea, no.  I'm not setting myself up for some situation where he ends up starting every day and getting 600 ABs.  you get all of the upside and none of the downside in your proposed scenario.
You're such a dunce.  Right here you said there was a possibility he would play everyday and get 600 ab's.  And you didn't want to chance that.  Now it's "I couldn't win because there wasnt any way he'll get 500+!"  Cry me a river.  You're weak.  Wah.   

You passed on a bet you were going to win outright by the early looks of it or push at worst.  So stop spinning it into this "I couldn't win wah wahhh" argument.  

And man look how fast u come running into this thread. Haha  Do something productive instead of arguing all day long on a fantasy forum.  

You're such a dunce.  Right here you said there was a possibility he would play everyday and get 600 ab's.  And you didn't want to chance that.  Now it's "I couldn't win because there wasnt any way he'll get 500+!"  Cry me a river.  You're weak.  Wah.   
Truly incredible how you can't grasp this.

1. If he's playing well he will get 500 ABs and likely go over 30 hr

2. If he sucks he won't get the ABs and I push

3. Very small % of the time he sucks and still gets enough ABs for me to win

I'm done explaining this to you. Keep using the word lock tho.

Truly incredible how you can't grasp this.

1. If he's playing well he will get 500 ABs and likely go over 30 hr

2. If he sucks he won't get the ABs and I push

3. Very small % of the time he sucks and still gets enough ABs for me to win

I'm done explaining this to you. Keep using the word lock tho.
You conveniently left out a 500/30 ratio at 16.67 would have been 12th best in all of baseball last year for anyone > 30 hrs.  Stop acting like that's an easy feat. It isn't.  To assume he has 30 hrs once he reaches 500+ is asinine.  But you're an a.ss so I get why you only present your side of it. 

So of the 32 guys who went 30+ last yr, 20 of them (63%) had a higher hr/ab ratio then that of 16.67.  Yet according to you its all but a given Bird would have met that ratio.  Keep slanting and dodging.  You turned down a good bet.  Now good day. 

Yankees placed 1B Greg Bird on the 10-day disabled list with a bruised right ankle.
A recent 6-for-60 stretch has dropped Bird's season average to an even .100. Bird dealt with ankle issues earlier this year and obviously wasn't 100 percent when he came back. Utility man Rob Refsnyder was called up from Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre in the corresponding roster move.

:mellow:

You conveniently left out a 500/30 ratio at 16.67 would have been 12th best in all of baseball last year for anyone > 30 hrs.   
oh my ####, you are the one who called him a lock for 30 HRs with 500 ABs, not me. and guess what buddy, at this rate he ain't getting 30 HRs with 800 ABs so ####, take your medicine, and stop using the word lock in any context. This would all be avoided if you didn't come into every thread like a rude abrasive know it all who can see into the future.

oh my ####, you are the one who called him a lock for 30 HRs with 500 ABs, not me. 

Yea at what point did I deny saying this? Haha.  You keep circling around this "I was right, you were wrong" thing.   And I keep countering with the "Too bad you were too scared to make the bet".  Where on May 3,  it appears you'd already be playing with house money.  Clearly it looks terrible now for him to reach either milestone.  You win.  

Actually no you don't win anything. :)  

Users who are viewing this thread