What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Andy Dalton, CAR (2 Viewers)

He blows Julio and Dez out of the water in terms of talent? Wow, that's a bold statement to make. That would mean he'd be in the discussion as one of the best WR's of all-time.
Julio, Dez, and Green are looked at as "one of the best WR's of all-time"? Seriously? You cannot even think this let alone believe this, right?
Ummm..not what I meant. I meant that since the poster I quoted was saying that since he believes Green blows great talents like Julio and Dez "out of the water" that would mean that he's at that type of a level. I look at those 2 as two of the better receives in the game today, so wouldn't someone who's supposedly way better than them have to be considered one of the best talents of all time?

He blows Julio and Dez out of the water in terms of talent? Wow, that's a bold statement to make. That would mean he'd be in the discussion as one of the best WR's of all-time.
Julio, Dez, and Green are looked at as "one of the best WR's of all-time"? Seriously? You cannot even think this let alone believe this, right?
Ummm..not what I meant. I meant that since the poster I quoted was saying that since he believes Green blows great talents like Julio and Dez "out of the water" that would mean that he's at that type of a level. I look at those 2 as two of the better receives in the game today, so wouldn't someone who's supposedly way better than them have to be considered one of the best talents of all time?
green is one of the best talents of all time. hes just not as good as calvin and moss and rice.

Ok Ok, so Dalton isn't elite.......he's still a well above average QB. I'd say top 12 at the worst.
Exactly, people act like Peyton, Brees, Brady and Rodgers like quarterbacks are sitting on their coach watching football on Sunday waiting for a team to call and give them a tryout.
lol at dalton as top 12. this is why dalton homers are lol.

manning

rodgers

brees

brady

luck

ryan

stafford

romo

eli

cam

griffin

wilson

rivers

cutler

roethlisberger

flacco

vick

kaep
I don't know if he is top 12 but the guy is trending towards having a career like Rivers, Cutler, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Vick, Eli, Cam, and Ryan. He is also just as young as guys like Wilson, Luck, Kaepernick, Griffin. This is a fantasy football list not an actual NFL quarterback list.

Last edited by a moderator:
let me get this straight. you think aj green and vincent jackson are about equals as wr?
let me get this straight. you think aj green and vincent jackson are about equals as wr?
He's terrible. All Bengals QBs take them to the playoffs, he's only the latest in a long line.
ya bc this bengals team is the same as in past yrs.

this is an immensely talented team. with a decent qb they are super bowl contenders. with dalton, well, a playoff loss is the limit.
Please tell me where this quarterback is. Should they have picked up Josh Freeman? He had more offensive talent then Dalton and what did he do? Maybe they should have gotten Alex Smith? Except he throws about 6 balls a game that travel more then 10 yards in the air. Maybe they should draft a rookie and alienate the entire team, because showing you have no faith in your third year quarterback that has taken you to the playoffs twice more then drafting another quarterback that you aren't even sure will make it in the NFL. Sorry boys, but they don't care about your fantasy team, they care about winning games, and they are doing that.
there is no way freeman had more offensive talent than dalton. that is just ludicrous.

anyway, ya they should look to upgrade the qb position. not alex smith, he is one of the few qbs worse than dalolton. freeman imo is worth a shot over dalton.

and yes, they are winning games. bc they have a great defense and d coordinator. and they will continue to win games, until the playoffs when the qb is needed to make plays.
Are you serious? Martin is better then any of the backs the Bengals have. Vincent Jackson is probably equal to AJ Green by NFL standards, not fantasy. Mike Williams is a better wr2 then any of the Bengals receivers right now. I will give tight end to the Bengals but only because Eifert, Gresham is horrible. The Bucs when healthy have a very good offensive line too.
We went through all that and you came back to this?. Since I am nice, I will explain it too you. Jackson is probably one tier below AJ Green the last 2 + years in the NFL. Obviously everyone in the world would take Green over him because he is younger and SLIGHTLY more talented, they aren't worlds apart.

He's terrible. All Bengals QBs take them to the playoffs, he's only the latest in a long line.

this is an immensely talented team. with a decent qb they are super bowl contenders. with dalton, well, a playoff loss is the limit.
Please tell me where this quarterback is. Should they have picked up Josh Freeman? He had more offensive talent then Dalton and what did he do? Maybe they should have gotten Alex Smith? Except he throws about 6 balls a game that travel more then 10 yards in the air. Maybe they should draft a rookie and alienate the entire team, because showing you have no faith in your third year quarterback that has taken you to the playoffs twice more then drafting another quarterback that you aren't even sure will make it in the NFL. Sorry boys, but they don't care about your fantasy team, they care about winning games, and they are doing that.
This, I literally went through every quarterback in the league to see what wonderful opportunity was passed up during the Dalton tenure.

Brady - obv not available

Geno Smith - set 2 years back again with a rookie who's been inconsistent

EJ Manuel - never got to our pick would have had to damage the team to trade up for him

Tannehill - never got to our pick would have had to damage the team to trade up for him

Weedman or Hoyer for that matter - uh, no

Roethlisberger - obv not available

Flacco - ditto

Locker - to get him they would have had to have passed on AJ Green making this thread obsolete or overpay and Locker isn't really any further along than him

Luck - never got to our pick would have had to have thrown the entire season to get him

Gabbert/Henne - :lmao:

Schaub - okay, Yates - already gone, Casey Kasum - yeah that would make sense :rolleyes:

Rivers - not available

P Manning - in some alternate universe where bizarro Mike Brown exists I guess they could have made a play for him. Of course they probably wouldn't be able to make the key resignings they have

A Smith - Obviously the Chiefs are 7-0 because of his mightiness. I'm sure the entire NFL agrees

T Pryor - yeah this woulda made sense to do immediately after drafting Datlon

Eli - he's doing awesome right now of course but anyway he wasn't available

Romo - again another unavailable guy

Vick - when the Eagles got him everyone was in "of course Mike Brown's gonna go get the criminal mode" - that would've gone over well. Foles - yeah that woulda made sense after 1 year of dalton :rolleyes: Barkley - I suppose as speculative they could've picked him in round 3/4 or whatever but if you think he's ahead of current Dalton now you are on something.

RG III - see Luck

Rodgers - not availabe. duh

Stafford - same

Cutler - same

Ponder - would have had to have passed on Green or traded a fortune to get the mighty Ponder. Cassel - so good that the Vikings have already ditched him. Freeman - everyone's favorite for reasons that totally escape me - create a needless controversy midseason or waste a draft pick for a guy who's not there. Sorry not buying Freeman

Brees - again not available

Newton - never had a chance to pick him, maybe we could have for the picks that we got Dalton and Green as well as a couple more picks. I guess. Maybe

Ryan - again not available

Glennon - again you're blowing up your whole plan for a 3rd round QB. That's really a step forward?

Bradford - not available and it's not exactly like he's played like a #1 overall

Palmer - :lmao:

Which gets down to two that were perhaps even conceivable for the argument.

The Bengals passed on Kaepernick for Dalton. They liked Dalton better for their offense - and he is a better fit. Kaepernick came out like a house of fire last year on a complete team but his completion percentage is much lower, his YPG is much lower. It's very much a debate what he will be.

The other that's conceivable for the argument is Russell Wilson. But again, you're still garbage canning a QB after just 1 year - a year that he led you to the playoffs for a player who while talented still dropped to round 3. That really sounds like a solid plan.

So go on haters, as someone else said, the dude is not Gabbert. And for a guy who's not supposed to be a top-half QB he's lead a lot of long 90+ yard TD drives this year. They are winning close games. Dalton isn't going to Canton. Never said that he is. But it's ridiculous to think that they can't win with him - they already are.

-QG

green is one of the best talents of all time. hes just not as good as calvin and moss and rice.
Wow, no wonder you are not an NFL scout. To proclaim this guy, Green, one of the best talents of all time is pretty short sighted. But, keep fighting the good fight.

Wow, no wonder you are not an NFL scout. To proclaim this guy, Green, one of the best talents of all time is pretty short sighted. But, keep fighting the good fight.
he was the 4th overall pick and many scouts said he was an all time great prospect.

he was the 4th overall pick and many scouts said he was an all time great prospect.
Fine, but to anoint him as such is crazy. There are plenty ahead of him so no such praise should be forthcoming after his short career.

Welcome aboard. I and many others have been screaming about this since Dalton and Green's rookie season. If Dalton could throw the deep ball AJ would be widely recognized as the best WR in the NFL IMO. Yes, better than Calvin.
Only AJ owners a few other random people would agree with you there. Daulton isn't Gabbert. No one is Calvin. You're delusional.
yea that is a tall task your right Calvin is the best But AJG could be almost as good with a better qb... Right there imo. Calvin is just Don Mega.

I believe he could be one of the all time greats... AJG is a phenom, telling me he isn't on Moss or Rice level is premature. Let the kid's career play out but at this time in their careers he was just as good.

the point of this thread was to discuss A. Dalton and his inabiltiy to throw the ball deep, which we all can agree on.

Welcome aboard. I and many others have been screaming about this since Dalton and Green's rookie season. If Dalton could throw the deep ball AJ would be widely recognized as the best WR in the NFL IMO. Yes, better than Calvin.
no. but there would be no discussion comparing him to julio and dez. he blows them out of the water in terms of talent, but his production is similar bc he is hamstrung by dalolton.
no discussion

Mario Kart said:
T with T said:
the point of this thread was to discuss A. Dalton and his inabiltiy to throw the ball deep, which we all can agree on.
:no: there is more to being a QB than the ability to hurl the ball 40+ yards down the field every play. Surely, you know this much?
Obviously, genius I do know this. The problem is though he is holding back all the players esp Ajgreen with his noodle arm... Isn't that part of being a qb, being able to throw the ball accurately deep? He is just not that great of a qb and is holding the team down imo.

there is no way freeman had more offensive talent than dalton. that is just ludicrous.

anyway, ya they should look to upgrade the qb position. not alex smith, he is one of the few qbs worse than dalolton. freeman imo is worth a shot over dalton.

and yes, they are winning games. bc they have a great defense and d coordinator. and they will continue to win games, until the playoffs when the qb is needed to make plays.
Are you serious? Martin is better then any of the backs the Bengals have. Vincent Jackson is probably equal to AJ Green by NFL standards, not fantasy. Mike Williams is a better wr2 then any of the Bengals receivers right now. I will give tight end to the Bengals but only because Eifert, Gresham is horrible. The Bucs when healthy have a very good offensive line too.
We went through all that and you came back to this?. Since I am nice, I will explain it too you. Jackson is probably one tier below AJ Green the last 2 + years in the NFL. Obviously everyone in the world would take Green over him because he is younger and SLIGHTLY more talented, they aren't worlds apart.
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=695942

seems most ppl disagree with this sentiment.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=695942

seems most ppl disagree with this sentiment.
Not really but nice try.

Dalton played flat-out awesome yesterday. Yeah, he underthrew AJ Green on two deep balls late. I'm sure Bengals fans wish he could sling it 60 yards downfield. But he can't.

But he still made great decisions, and was extremely accurate. He's had some bad games this year. He shouldn't get criticized for this last game. That's just silly.

well 25 out of 52 ppl think green is way better. 46 out of 52 think green is at least slightly better. lets just say you dont have the masses on your side in this argument.

Ok Ok, so Dalton isn't elite.......he's still a well above average QB. I'd say top 12 at the worst.
Exactly, people act like Peyton, Brees, Brady and Rodgers like quarterbacks are sitting on their coach watching football on Sunday waiting for a team to call and give them a tryout.
That's not the point. Most of us aren't saying Dalton is a bad QB. Why does it always have to come to that? We are just pointing out that he has a weakness. It's a glaring weakness at that. One that has clearly suppressed the ability of AJ Green over the years and the vertical passing game in Cinci. Yes, Dalton is still a good QB. He will simply never be great because of this. I've watched Green a ton since he's been in the NFL. I watched him a ton in college too. This guy is regularly behind defenses. There have been at least 15 TDs left on the field the past couple seasons because of Dalton's weakness in throwing the ball own field accurately. He's a better version of Chad Pennington.

well 25 out of 52 ppl think green is way better. 46 out of 52 think green is at least slightly better. lets just say you dont have the masses on your side in this argument.
I already said he was about even and Green would be a little better. Nice try though

That's not the point. Most of us aren't saying Dalton is a bad QB. Why does it always have to come to that? We are just pointing out that he has a weakness. It's a glaring weakness at that. One that has clearly suppressed the ability of AJ Green over the years and they vertical passing game in Cinci. Yes, Dalton is still a good QB. He will simple never be great because of this.I've watched Green a ton since he's been in the NFL. I watched him a ton in college too. This guy is regularly behind defenses. There have been at least 15 TDs left on the field the past couple seasons because of Dalton's weakness in throwing the ball own field accurately. He's a better version of Chad Pennington.
I agree with you I argue with people that say he is horrible and they are wasting everyone's prime with him at quarterback

That's not the point. Most of us aren't saying Dalton is a bad QB. Why does it always have to come to that? We are just pointing out that he has a weakness. It's a glaring weakness at that. One that has clearly suppressed the ability of AJ Green over the years and the vertical passing game in Cinci. Yes, Dalton is still a good QB. He will simply never be great because of this.I've watched Green a ton since he's been in the NFL. I watched him a ton in college too. This guy is regularly behind defenses. There have been at least 15 TDs left on the field the past couple seasons because of Dalton's weakness in throwing the ball own field accurately. He's a better version of Chad Pennington.
agreed, great post. That's a lot of tds and I will vouch for you, your not exaggerating at all. If anything you are going to low. This thread was brought up to talk about Andy Dalton's inability to throw deep and how glaringly obvious it is and is frustrating to see AJ have to deal with this incompetence. I really think Dalton is a above avg qb in the mold of a better chad pennington myself but he in no way is ever going to take Cinci to the next level.

underthrew him on 2 late balls?? haha that's funny what about the first series on the 80 yard td that was all AJGREEN and his athleticism, he caught that td in spite of Dalton. Dalton is lucky to be playing with a freak of nature to make him look better then he is.

I already said he was about even and Green would be a little better. Nice try though
i realize that. and you that is the wrong sentiment, as almost half of that poll indicates.
You are right I concede all those brilliant voters, most of which are anonymous.

Plus I have no idea what you just said.

That's not the point. Most of us aren't saying Dalton is a bad QB. Why does it always have to come to that? We are just pointing out that he has a weakness. It's a glaring weakness at that. One that has clearly suppressed the ability of AJ Green over the years and the vertical passing game in Cinci. Yes, Dalton is still a good QB. He will simply never be great because of this.I've watched Green a ton since he's been in the NFL. I watched him a ton in college too. This guy is regularly behind defenses. There have been at least 15 TDs left on the field the past couple seasons because of Dalton's weakness in throwing the ball own field accurately. He's a better version of Chad Pennington.
agreed, great post. That's a lot of tds and I will vouch for you, your not exaggerating at all. If anything you are going to low. This thread was brought up to talk about Andy Dalton's inability to throw deep and how glaringly obvious it is and is frustrating to see AJ have to deal with this incompetence. I really think Dalton is a above avg qb in the mold of a better chad pennington myself but he in no way is ever going to take Cinci to the next level.
dalton and his homers can only dream he will be as good as pennington.

dalton and his homers can only dream he will be as good as pennington.
:rolleyes:

pennington has better rate numbers, playing in a much tougher era, with an immensely worse catching corps. also he performed much better in the playoffs (which isnt hard considering how abysmal dalton was in those clutch games.)

Unreal how much hate Dalton gets. He's not elite -- pretty sure we all get that. But there are a ton of QBs out there, including some who turned out to be pretty damn good, who would gladly trade the first few years of their career for what Andy Dalton has accomplished thus far in his. And there are more than a few NFL teams who would be freaking thrilled to trade their QB for him. People are ridiculous.

The anti-Dalton folks are pointing out that he has a weakness. Constantly. If they lose. If they win. If he completes 70% of his passes. It's....a...constant...drumbeat...of...complaints...and...it...is...an...old...broken...records...at...this...point.

-QG

Being a Lion homer, I have gotten to see Andy dalton up close and personal... This guy plain stinks and is holding AJGreen back BIGTIME. He had 2 50 + yard tds underthrown badly and even on the 80 + yard td he had to stop for it and had it not been for Ajgreens physical freakness it may not have even been caught. This is really terrible to have a qb like that with a pee arm. Am I being to irrational or has this been a problem for Ajgreen's career?
This. I live in Bengal land and half of us have eyes and the other half are excited about mediocrity. He hasn't progressed since his rookie year and he is killing Green. A.J. could have freaky stats with a QB. It sucks to see someone who could be one of the greatest of all time wasted.

Some of you Dalton haters are out of your minds. He's a good young quarterback and just about the only thing he doesn't have is a cannon arm. I wish he was my favorite teams quarterback and I bet there's half the NFL that would like a promising third year QB like him... Easy to pick out the AJ Green owners in here who want 30 points a game not 18 but the fact is the Bengals sucked big wet floppy before Dalton got there and now they've been a playoff team. Josh Freeman has a cannon arm... Why don't you try that one out.. Lol

The Ravens won a SB with Trent Dilfer.

Bengals D isn't that good and Dalton isn't that bad. Bengals and Dalton can be successful.

I get that Cinci has been down so long that being a .500 plus team seems like sitting on top of the world. I consider myself a fan and love the recent success.

But to fans that consider success a playoff win or two at season's end, he hasn't done a damn thing despite having a plus defense and one of the best WRs (currently) in the game. And I don't think he will. I think that if Dalton didn't have Green to make up for a host of shortcomings, he would be in the discussion with Ponder, Freeman (realizing some disagree with Josh being here), Weeden and Henne, although he may well have the best talent of that bunch after Freemen (whose problems IMO are mental).

Dalton is certainly not among the young guns like Ryan, Luck, RGIII, Wilson or Cam, who will lead their teams to the playoffs now and then, even if they find themselves surrounded by mediocre talent, and who with good talent will have SuperBowl potential. I think that gets general agreement. Where the two sides of this debate disagree, I think, is whether on talent and ability alone, Dalton fits in the group with Stafford, Kaepernick, Tannehill and Locker, a group of guys with the potential to be solid franchise leaders and SuperBowl winners if all goes well. (I'll acknowledging a team CAN win it despite Dilfer, and could despite Dalton, although Dalton is not nearly as good as Dilfer was at this point). Without Green, I just don't see that Dalton would have the edge to join that group. He doesn't have the arm and without Green, that would allow defenses to press the line and shut down the run. As Stafford becomes a top level QB due to Calvin, Dalton becomes an NFL average QB due to Green.

I too hope he gets stronger and better, but I don't expect as much of that as many here.

(I'll acknowledging a team CAN win it despite Dilfer, and could despite Dalton, although Dalton is not nearly as good as Dilfer was at this point).
Trent Dilfer's statistics through 3 seasons:

37 GP, 34 GS, 13 W, 21 L, 529 CMP, 979 ATT, 54.0% CMP%, 6066 YDS (178.4 per GS, 163.9 per GP), 17 TD, 44 INT, 6.2 Y/A

Andy Dalton's statistics through 2 1/2 seasons:

39 GP, 39 GS, 24 W, 15 L, 793 CMP, 1293 ATT, 61.3% CMP%, 8991 YDS (230.5 per game), 58 TD, 35 INT, 7.0 Y/A

:lmao: yes Dalton is not nearly as good as Dilfer was at this point in his career. Truly.

-QG

I hate to say that Because I love Calvin but I think AJG may be smoother and I can't belive how many tds have been left on the field.
I just can't agree with this. Green can get knocked by a physical DB a little. Bring in that same DB against Megatron not only is he going to not do anything to throw a 236lb WR off his route, but he's going to get burned as well. That's not even considering the fact CJ can outjump any DB in this league...not that he ever really needs to.
Peanut Tillman routinely shuts down calvin

Being a Lion homer, I have gotten to see Andy dalton up close and personal... This guy plain stinks and is holding AJGreen back BIGTIME. He had 2 50 + yard tds underthrown badly and even on the 80 + yard td he had to stop for it and had it not been for Ajgreens physical freakness it may not have even been caught. This is really terrible to have a qb like that with a pee arm. Am I being to irrational or has this been a problem for Ajgreen's career?
This. I live in Bengal land and half of us have eyes and the other half are excited about mediocrity. He hasn't progressed since his rookie year and he is killing Green. A.J. could have freaky stats with a QB. It sucks to see someone who could be one of the greatest of all time wasted.
Barry Sanders, Dan Marino, Tim Brown, Cris Carter L. Tomlinson, and Antonio Gates are all offended by this statement.

Dalton and Green are headed towards their 3rd playoff appearance in 3 years playing in a division with the Ravens and Steelers. I'm pretty sure Green isn't considering his time "wasted". The only people who don't like what is going on in Cincy are fantasy players who only care about stats.

cheese said:
Dalton and Green are headed towards their 3rd playoff appearance in 3 years playing in a division with the Ravens and Steelers. I'm pretty sure Green isn't considering his time "wasted". The only people who don't like what is going on in Cincy are fantasy players who only care about stats.
Why are you aging as if getting to the playoffs is such a major accomplishment? How many playoff games have they won? The answer is zero. This team is talented enough that they should be looking at winning playoff games, not just getting to them.

cheese said:
Why are you aging as if getting to the playoffs is such a major accomplishment? How many playoff games have they won? The answer is zero. This team is talented enough that they should be looking at winning playoff games, not just getting to them.
First of all, given the Bengals' history, going two for two making the playoffs to start his career is an accomplishment. And second, this is Dalton's 3rd year, man. Neither he nor the Bengals offense are finished products. Dalton was great (for a rookie) year one, and improved in year two. He's ahead of the curve, by a lot, unless you were expecting prime elite QB right out of the box.

If the curve you want to be on is Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Cam, Ryan, Flacco or Stafford for developing young QBs, then Dalton isn't anywhere near being on it, let alone ahead. At this point he's an adequate game manager. Green getting wide open deep 4 or 5 times a game keeps the opposing defenses spread out, even though most of those are simply lost opportunities that could be game changers. He's okay. I think its just sad for fantasy players to see what Green could be and how much less he is likely to ever be with Dalton.

(Its not a big deal given the image history has chosen for Dilfer, but he was a solid game manager in a very conservative offense. And he didn't have Green creating numbers for him way beyond his talent. I don't think there's any question Dilfer would be completing more of those long passes than Dalton is. Put Dalton in Dilfer's offense and, at least with his current ability, I don't think he would have had Dilfer's success. And either way, that's not a good comparable for Dalton supporters to be defending.)

When did Bengals fans get so spoiled where getting to the playoffs isn't an accomplishment? Did I miss something?

cheese said:
Somewhere between 4 and 8 QBs per season win a playoff game. Your standards are pretty high, but I feel confident that we can revisit sometime in January with a different conclusion.

When did Bengals fans get so spoiled where getting to the playoffs isn't an accomplishment? Did I miss something?
Most people railing against Dalton aren't the Bengals fans in the thread. Bengals fans in general are thrilled at this recent run.

First of all, given the Bengals' history, going two for two making the playoffs to start his career is an accomplishment. And second, this is Dalton's 3rd year, man. Neither he nor the Bengals offense are finished products. Dalton was great (for a rookie) year one, and improved in year two. He's ahead of the curve, by a lot, unless you were expecting prime elite QB right out of the box.
bengals history is irrelevant. who cares what an entirely different group of players and coaches did 5-20 years ago? it has absolutely no bearing on current issues. all that matters is how well dalton has performed, which stats say to be slightly above average and eye test shows leaves tons of tds on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread