What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Andy Dalton, CAR (4 Viewers)

its so funny ppl are acting like making the playoffs was such a great accomplishment and dalton should get all the credit. first of all, the bengals have/had a great oline and defense and very good weapons.

secondly, they were very lucky to get in the playoffs in both years. last year they won 2 games vs teams with a winning record (week 17 vs a resting balt should not count.)

they year before they backdoored in at 9-6, beating only 1 team with a winning record.

ANALYSIS
Positives... Touch passer with the ability to read and diagnose defensive coverages...Confident leader who knows how to take command in the huddle...Very tough and mobile moving around in the pocket...Has a quick setup and is very effective throwing on the move...Throws across his body with great consistency...Hits receivers in stride and improvises his throws in order to make a completion...Puts good zip behind the short and mid-range passes...Shows good judgement and keen field vision...Has a take-charge attitude and is very cool under pressure...Hits receivers in motion with impressive velocity...Has superb pocket presence and uses all of his offensive weapons in order to move the chains...Has solid body mechanics and quickness moving away from center... Elusive scrambler with the body control to avoid the rush.

Negatives... Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun... Tends to side-arm his passes going deep...Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws... Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack...Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area...Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment.

-QG

its so funny ppl are acting like making the playoffs was such a great accomplishment and dalton should get all the credit. first of all, the bengals have/had a great oline and defense and very good weapons.

secondly, they were very lucky to get in the playoffs in both years. last year they won 2 games vs teams with a winning record (week 17 vs a resting balt should not count.)

they year before they backdoored in at 9-6, beating only 1 team with a winning record.
The NFL had a 15 game season in 2011?

[quote name="msudaisy26"

The NFL had a 15 game season in 2011?

pretty much shows how weak your position is when you must resort to nitpicking typos

What should teams like the browns or Vikings or bucs give up for Dalton? Their own first round pick (presumably a high pick obv). Or in the browns case, would it be a good deal to trade their mid to late colts first rounder?

Point is, it is doubtful many teams want to actually build around Dalton. They would much prefer to gamble on a prospect or shore up another position.

What should teams like the browns or Vikings or bucs give up for Dalton? Their own first round pick (presumably a high pick obv). Or in the browns case, would it be a good deal to trade their mid to late colts first rounder?

Point is, it is doubtful many teams want to actually build around Dalton. They would much prefer to gamble on a prospect or shore up another position.
That is dumb. Name me the last time a team traded their first string quarterback in his third year?

It's just an attempt to assess the value of the guy we are discussing. Seems like it's a plenty relevant hypothetical especially considering the numerous quotes itt asserting that many teams would greatly desire Dalton.

It's just an attempt to assess the value of the guy we are discussing. Seems like it's a plenty relevant hypothetical especially considering the numerous quotes itt asserting that many teams would greatly desire Dalton.
I never said that. I said he isn't that bad, I said give him some time to develop like Matt Ryan. You said Josh Freeman was the answer, when in reality all you care about is Freeman throwing deep passes to AJ Green in the hopes that he will start getting you more fantasy points.

Go look at Ryan's stats and wins and loses his first 2 years. They are a little worse then Dalton's but we can call them even because the league hadn't gone pass happy yet. Dalton is just fine.

He's average at best. Not as if he's not surrounded by talent. I don't care if he has to crow hop or something - freakin' GET IT to AJ when he beat his man by 10 yards, will ya? Looks like me throwin from outfield in the over 40 softball league. This guy doesn't have the IT factor. Will never win a SB.

yes, I said I would prefer freeman but now I am not so sure. it seems that his mentality is completely shot. the reason I liked freeman is that he has had 2 very good seasons in a far worse situation. unfortunately, it seems that he has regressed immensely.

yes, I said I would prefer freeman but now I am not so sure. it seems that his mentality is completely shot. the reason I liked freeman is that he has had 2 very good seasons in a far worse situation. unfortunately, it seems that he has regressed immensely.
It's pretty short-sighted to change your stance on Freeman after one game for which he had a little more than a week to learn a new offense, too. NFL teams tend to take a slightly longer view of things.

cvnpoka said:

Wow.

When Dalton came to the Bengals people were predicting them to go 0-16. That's not an exaggeration. The only "weapon" he had at all was rookie AJ Green. That team made the playoffs.

The next year everyone complained about only having AJ to throw to and the rest of the offense sucked. The defense got buried by injuries. That team made the playoffs.

This year, yes the surrounding cast is getting good. They're also 5-2.

You can think whatever you want about Dalton's game and it would be debatable, but to try to pretend like he's some bum carried to the playoffs by a great team the past 2 years is complete nonsense.

QuizGuy66 said:
ANALYSIS

Positives... Touch passer with the ability to read and diagnose defensive coverages...Confident leader who knows how to take command in the huddle...Very tough and mobile moving around in the pocket...Has a quick setup and is very effective throwing on the move...Throws across his body with great consistency...Hits receivers in stride and improvises his throws in order to make a completion...Puts good zip behind the short and mid-range passes...Shows good judgement and keen field vision...Has a take-charge attitude and is very cool under pressure...Hits receivers in motion with impressive velocity...Has superb pocket presence and uses all of his offensive weapons in order to move the chains...Has solid body mechanics and quickness moving away from center... Elusive scrambler with the body control to avoid the rush.

Negatives... Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun... Tends to side-arm his passes going deep...Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws... Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack...Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area...Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment.

-QG
Hey Quiz.... I mostly agree with your assessment of his game. The only one I'd really question is his pocket presence. It comes and goes to me. I've seen him look poised and stand in there all day going through progressions and I've seen him skittish and looking at Dlineman rather than downfield with the slightest pressure. It's one of the disappointing aspects of the end of last season and especially in the Texans game IMO. I'm willing to concede that it's usually a strength, but that's one area where I think he's inconsistent more than his actual passing.

As a tangent, I think a lot of how people view Andy Dalton will have a lot to do with how people view the concept of intangibles in general.

QuizGuy66 said:
ANALYSIS

-QG
Hey Quiz.... I mostly agree with your assessment of his game. The only one I'd really question is his pocket presence. It comes and goes to me. I've seen him look poised and stand in there all day going through progressions and I've seen him skittish and looking at Dlineman rather than downfield with the slightest pressure. It's one of the disappointing aspects of the end of last season and especially in the Texans game IMO. I'm willing to concede that it's usually a strength, but that's one area where I think he's inconsistent more than his actual passing.

As a tangent, I think a lot of how people view Andy Dalton will have a lot to do with how people view the concept of intangibles in general.
Oh wait, I'm sorry that was the scouting report for Drew Brees ahead of the 2000 draft. I apologize for the error.

-QG

Drew Brees' statistics through 3 seasons:

28 GP, 27 GS, 10 W, 17 L, 540 CMP, 909 ATT, 59.4% CMP%, 5613 YDS (207.9 per GS, 200.5 per GP), 29 TD, 31 INT, 6.2 Y/A

Andy Dalton's statistics through 2 1/2 seasons:

39 GP, 39 GS, 24 W, 15 L, 793 CMP, 1293 ATT, 61.3% CMP%, 8991 YDS (230.5 per game), 58 TD, 35 INT, 7.0 Y/A

-QG

cvnpoka said:

Wow.

When Dalton came to the Bengals people were predicting them to go 0-16. That's not an exaggeration. The only "weapon" he had at all was rookie AJ Green. That team made the playoffs.

The next year everyone complained about only having AJ to throw to and the rest of the offense sucked. The defense got buried by injuries. That team made the playoffs.

This year, yes the surrounding cast is getting good. They're also 5-2.

You can think whatever you want about Dalton's game and it would be debatable, but to try to pretend like he's some bum carried to the playoffs by a great team the past 2 years is complete nonsense.
its also complete nonsense to denigrate the rest of the team and attribute making the playoffs to dalton which you insinuate throughout this post. heres the thing, despite what people thought, those teams had excellent defense and oline and were quite lucky.

ANALYSIS

-QG

Oh wait, I'm sorry that was the scouting report for Drew Brees ahead of the 2000 draft. I apologize for the error.

-QG
Awesome

Dalton is horrible how can Green only have 9 receiving yards?
Maybe Green is not as good as he is being propped up to be. Kind of like another guy who used to play in Ohio.
I was being sarcastic. I think Dalton is just fine.
I know but I'm making others think a little.
You didn't make anyone think. First pass of the game to Green, he was behind Cromartie by 5 yds... Dalton under threw it so badly that Cromartie recovered to break it up as Green practically stopped trying to get back to it. Yet another TD left on the field because he doesn't throw the ball well deep.

Maybe Green is not as good as he is being propped up to be. Kind of like another guy who used to play in Ohio.
You didn't make anyone think. First pass of the game to Green, he was behind Cromartie by 5 yds... Dalton under threw it so badly that Cromartie recovered to break it up as Green practically stopped trying to get back to it. Yet another TD left on the field because he doesn't throw the ball well deep.
Marvin Jones >>>>>>>>>>>> A. J. Green

Marvin Jones >>>>>>>>>>>> A. J. Green
Lol, you won't get anyone thinking with that fishing trip either.

Did that drive end in a touchdown? If it did then who cares. This Dalton guy really blows, I hope they sign Josh Freeman in the off season. He will lead the Bengals to the promise land.

Did that drive end in a touchdown? If it did then who cares. This Dalton guy really blows, I hope they sign Josh Freeman in the off season. He will lead the Bengals to the promise land.
That's not the point and you know it. That drive did, vs. the lowly Jets. When you play better teams leaving plays like that on the field will bite you in the ### and it has to Cinci many times.

That's not the point and you know it. That drive did, vs. the lowly Jets. When you play better teams leaving plays like that on the field will bite you in the ### and it has to Cinci many times.
So, that defender will be on these other "better" teams? Green will go against this "weaker" corner all the time?

No actually it doesn't. Teams miss chances all the time and comeback and make plays. The lowly Jets? You mean the top 5 defensive Jets? Or maybe the 4 - 3 Jets that would be the playoffs if they started today?

RG3 just missed a wide open Josh Morgan and Garcon, and still ended the drive with a touchdown. I guess Denver is lowly too.

No actually it doesn't. Teams miss chances all the time and comeback and make plays. The lowly Jets? You mean the top 5 defensive Jets? Or maybe the 4 - 3 Jets that would be the playoffs if they started today?
If the playoffs started today how would the 4-4 Jets be? They are getting throttled right now. If they started yesterday, you have a point. Yeah, teams miss plays all the time, but Dalton misses them far more than other QBs. On the next drive he missed Sanu on a deep ball where he was just as open. He's not a good deep passer. It is what it is. Again, this doesn't mean he sucks. You are the one who always takes it to that level, not me.

If the playoffs started today how would the 4-4 Jets be? They are getting throttled right now. If they started yesterday, you have a point. Yeah, teams miss plays all the time, but Dalton misses them far more than other QBs. On the next drive he missed Sanu on a deep ball where he was just as open. He's not a good deep passer. It is what it is. Again, this doesn't mean he sucks. You are the one who always takes it to that level, not me.
I have said it many times in this thread let him develop the deep ball he is doing just fine, and I get yelled at and told he sucks and they should have picked up Freeman to replace him.

I said it took Matt Ryan like 4 or 5 years before he became even average at throwing the deep ball and I got killed again.

He doesn't miss more plays then other quarterbacks, it happens many times every game. Dalton takes heat because people want him to throw the ball 80 times a game to AJ Green to help their fantasy team.

The Jets would be just out of the playoffs if they lose this game which it looks like they will. They were tied for the last spot before this game with San Diego but they have a bye

I have said it many times in this thread let him develop the deep ball he is doing just fine, and I get yelled at and told he sucks and they should have picked up Freeman to replace him.

I said it took Matt Ryan like 4 or 5 years before he became even average at throwing the deep ball and I got killed again.

He doesn't miss more plays then other quarterbacks, it happens many times every game. Dalton takes heat because people want him to throw the ball 80 times a game to AJ Green to help their fantasy team.

The Jets would be just out of the playoffs if they lose this game which it looks like they will. They were tied for the last spot before this game with San Diego but they have a bye
I have said many times that it think Dalton is a good QB. He has a weakness however and it is glaring. Yes, he is worse at it than most starting QBs. He's been poor at throwing the deep ball all 3 years he's been in the NFL and it hasn't progressed like you at saying. That's fine, he is who he is. Making excuses or justifications for it just seems silly to me. I'm not saying he can't get better at it. At this point however, I'll believe it when I see it. It simply hasn't gotten better to date and ill error on the side that it simply won't.

And some people will still try with all their might to try and discredit this performance just because Green isn't putting up 300 yards like Megatron.

Hate to burst your bubble guys but even with Stafford, Green isn't putting up Calvin type numbers.

The fact he doesn't suck and his deep ball isn't an issue, unless you are Manning or Elway or Luck all quarterbacks come out of the draft with a weakness.

The fact he doesn't suck and his deep ball isn't an issue, unless you are Manning or Elway or Luck all quarterbacks come out of the draft with a weakness.
Again, I never said he sucked. I said several times I like Dalton and think he's a good QB. He's deep ball is poor, no doubt about it. Dalton isn't a rookie, BTW. He's been working on his deep ball for 3 years now.

Again, I never said he sucked. I said several times I like Dalton and think he's a good QB. He's deep ball is poor, no doubt about it. Dalton isn't a rookie, BTW. He's been working on his deep ball for 3 years now.
Again it takes time to develop some things. I am okay with the fact he hasn't developed a deep ball in 3 years and I would bet the Bengals are too because he is still winning games and getting this team to the playoffs.

Go back and read the thread I wasn't aiming this at you until you jumped in, it was at the people wanting Josh Freeman, and saying the Bengals were winning despite him.

Again it takes time to develop some things. I am okay with the fact he hasn't developed a deep ball in 3 years and I would bet the Bengals are too because he is still winning games and getting this team to the playoffs.

Go back and read the thread I wasn't aiming this at you until you jumped in, it was at the people wanting Josh Freeman, and saying the Bengals were winning despite him.
Fair enough. I agree with you on that. Anyone who says Dalton sucks is just trolling or bitter as a Green owner... Perhaps Dalton owner too. He's a very good young QB. He could be elite if he worked out his issues throwing deep. Personally, I'm skeptical that will happen. I just feel like we've seen who he is at this point. I hope I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread