What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Anthony Richardson, IND (1 Viewer)

Can’t wait to see him in action again, but man I’m going to be holding my breath every time he takes off out of the pocket.
Every time I see this topic bumped I’m thinking “please be good news please be good news please be good news”

So glad I took him over Stroud. :doh:
Might still be better than Stroud for fantasy. He looked like a better fantasy QB than Stroud before he went on IR.

Frankly, I'd argue the Colts win the division (probably by multiple games) if he'd have stayed on the field. Steichen worked miracles with Minshew, I feel like he could have done a lot more with an actually talented QB.

Can’t wait to see him in action again, but man I’m going to be holding my breath every time he takes off out of the pocket.
Every time I see this topic bumped I’m thinking “please be good news please be good news please be good news”

Might still be better than Stroud for fantasy. He looked like a better fantasy QB than Stroud before he went on IR.

Frankly, I'd argue the Colts win the division (probably by multiple games) if he'd have stayed on the field. Steichen worked miracles with Minshew, I feel like he could have done a lot more with an actually talented QB.
Oh I’m still optimistic. But he did get hurt every game. Dude needs to learn that they’re bigger/stronger/faster in the NFL.

Oh I’m still optimistic. But he did get hurt every game. Dude needs to learn that they’re bigger/stronger/faster in the NFL.
Maybe Tua could teach him how to fall....

For a whole 5 games if lucky
Injuries are hard to predict. We were saying this about Tua before last season.

Somehow ARich stayed relatively healthy in college.

Sometimes a player gets hurt his 1st season. Past results do not guarantee future predictability and all that.

Sometimes a player gets hurt his 1st season. Past results do not guarantee future predictability and all that.
Its his style of play , hopefully he learns to slide or run outa bounds . Otherwise hes an elite talent

It’s his style of play

Yes, we all saw 2023. But that doesn’t guarantee it will happen again in 2024, and again, his “style of play” didn’t get him hurt in college, so maybe it was just a series of flukey injuries.
, hopefully he learns to slide or run outa bounds . Otherwise hes an elite talent
I’m pretty sure he knows how to do both of those things. Why would you suggest otherwise?

It’s his style of play

Yes, we all saw 2023. But that doesn’t guarantee it will happen again in 2024, and again, his “style of play” didn’t get him hurt in college, so maybe it was just a series of flukey injuries.
, hopefully he learns to slide or run outa bounds . Otherwise hes an elite talent
I’m pretty sure he knows how to do both of those things. Why would you suggest otherwise?
Just a lot of comparisons to RG3 and Cam Newton

These guys express the same concerns i mentioned

I worry he goes down a similar path as Justin fields. Maybe he crushes it in fantasy for another 2-3 years, but if he doesn't show signs of being an elite passer by contract #2, the NFL may only view him as a backup QB.

I worry he goes down a similar path as Justin fields. Maybe he crushes it in fantasy for another 2-3 years, but if he doesn't show signs of being an elite passer by contract #2, the NFL may only view him as a backup QB.
Every young QB shares those concerns. Look at Mac Jones out of a job. 1st round pick. Stayed healthy, too.
:shrug:

Every young QB shares those concerns. Look at Mac Jones out of a job. 1st round pick. Stayed healthy, too.
I get it, but Mac Jones was never being discussed/drafted as an Elite Fantasy QB. Richardson is being talked about as a top 5 dynasty QB and he is still extremely raw in the passing game. Sure his upside is high but if he doesn't make a MASSIVE jump in passing ability, I don't know how long he's a starter in this league.

I get it, but Mac Jones was never being discussed/drafted as an Elite Fantasy QB. Richardson is being talked about as a top 5 dynasty QB and he is still extremely raw in the passing game. Sure his upside is high but if he doesn't make a MASSIVE jump in passing ability, I don't know how long he's a starter in this league.
So it’s about fantasy upside related to risk rather than draft capital?

Huh. I’d always believed it was in related to where a player was drafted.

With Fields, he was a 1st round pick, so people believed he’d get a lot of leeway/time to develop as compared to someone like Howell, who as a 5th round pick might be lucky to get another chance just to start a game in SEA.

I’m not sure we’ve seen enough of ARich’s passing ability to even make the judgement that he needs to take a “massive jump in passing ability” - he looked like a really good passer from game 1. So that seems like it’s a bit off in terms of risk with ARich.

IMO it’s all about health with him. He’s already ahead of where Fields was as a passer at this stage of their careers.

I’m not sure we’ve seen enough of ARich’s passing ability to even make the judgement that he needs to take a “massive jump in passing ability” - he looked like a really good passer from game 1. So that seems like it’s a bit off in terms of risk with ARich.

IMO it’s all about health with him. He’s already ahead of where Fields was as a passer at this stage of their careers.
While understanding the NFL isn’t college, programs matter, and growth is key, ARich never looked like a great passer in college. Fields looked highly competent (although with his receivers that was easy to do).

I don’t think we’ve seen nearly enough from ARich yet to think he’s better than fields. Better team, better receivers, better coaching. Those matter of course.

With Fields, he was a 1st round pick, so people believed he’d get a lot of leeway/time to develop as compared to someone like Howell, who as a 5th round pick might be lucky to get another chance just to start a game in SEA.

Its more that the Fields situation added a bit more perspective for me. Mainly that Fantasy upside/potential/production doesn't equally translate to NFL potential from a team's perspective. ARich could go on to be the #1 FF QB for the next three seasons and still only be a mediocre NFL QB. Its becoming a league where a QB has to show elite passing skills to get the second contract.

Fields and ARich had nearly identical QBR and passer ratings last season. I think ARich has the right team and coaching around him to grow, so I'm hopeful he does. I think ARich's sample size is too small to say he's already a better passer.

I have faith in Anthony more than the Fields/Mac Jones/Sam Howells of the world due to one huge, yet seemingly underrated factor:

Coaching. Shane Steichen at this point, I feel should be given the benefit of the doubt to develop him. He did a great job with Herbert (whose numbers fell when Steichen left), we saw how he got Hurts to an MVP level/Super Bowl caliber guy and just last year, was able to squeeze the max ability out of Minshew.

This is why I hate when rookie QBs are trying to be developed by Defensive HC's like Belichick, Rivera and the trash Chicago has been putting out year after year.

Which in turn, is also why I will probably be hesitant about whichever QB Washington decides to go with, bc Dan Quinn.

While understanding the NFL isn’t college, programs matter, and growth is key, ARich never looked like a great passer in college. Fields looked highly competent (although with his receivers that was easy to do).

I don’t think we’ve seen nearly enough from ARich yet to think he’s better than fields. Better team, better receivers, better coaching. Those matter of course.
Oh sure - I am saying the same.

But what we saw of ARich as a passer was better than what most expected of him.

Last edited:

Its more that the Fields situation added a bit more perspective for me. Mainly that Fantasy upside/potential/production doesn't equally translate to NFL potential from a team's perspective. ARich could go on to be the #1 FF QB for the next three seasons and still only be a mediocre NFL QB. Its becoming a league where a QB has to show elite passing skills to get the second contract.

Fields and ARich had nearly identical QBR and passer ratings last season. I think ARich has the right team and coaching around him to grow, so I'm hopeful he does. I think ARich's sample size is too small to say he's already a better passer.
I’m not saying he is a better passer. But if he’s the same level of passer in his 1st year than Fields was in his 3rd (4th?) then I’m less concerned about his ability to develop further.

Maybe I was unclear. My bad.

Richardson looked more composed in the pocket, looked like he could read the defense and progress through his options more in his 4th game then Fields looked deep into his third season.
That’s exactly my point.

The big knock on ARich was his intermediate passing, which many (Waldman especially) attributed to footwork.

He got coached up in the preseason and his intermediate passing looked just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread