What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (3 Viewers)

Baker Mayfield completed 14-of-20 passes for 155 yards and two touchdowns in the Panthers' 42-21, Week 9 loss to the Bengals.

Baker replaced Week 9 starter P.J. Walker at half after the latter threw more interceptions than the team's first downs in the first half, ultimately trailing 35-0 at the break. Mayfield would then lead three touchdown drives on the team's four total second half possessions, which could spark a discussion in the organization as to who will start in a Week 10 game against the Falcons. Both quarterbacks have seen their share of ups-and-downs as the starter this season, but it's fair to expect the conversation to reopen as the franchise searches for answers at the position.

- NBCSportsEDGE

I remember when he showed up to his second year in the league all fat.

Those were the days of arguing with Bracie Smathers about something to do with Cleveland, which is always a nutty proposition (the arguing with Bracie part). Baker's been a bust, all things considered. This is the number one overall pick in the draft, one that went before Josh Allen.

Oof.

I remember when he showed up to his second year in the league all fat.

Those were the days of arguing with Bracie Smathers about something to do with Cleveland, which is always a nutty proposition (the arguing with Bracie part). Baker's been a bust, all things considered. This is the number one overall pick in the draft, one that went before Josh Allen.

Oof.
I forgot that the JETS are the template for drafting first round quarterbacks.

He
Could SF give him a shot?
That was my first thought.
Except the Niners want someone who can guide the offense and not make big mistakes.
He'd be the backup I would guess.
Of course, but would be pressed into duty if Purdy got hurt or falters, and not sure they’d want to go that route.
It's either Baker or Josh Johnson. I'd prefer Baker.

I wondered how long they would keep him when I watched him literally head butt one of his OL and he wasn't even playing in the game.
It's one thing to be fired up but he might as well audition to be one of the professional male cheerleaders because he is going to be out of the NFL soon enough.
Has a #1 pick at QB ever made for a good journeyman in the NFL?

I just remembered that Baker took a $3.5m pay cut to facilitate the trade and did not hit any incentives which that would have enabled to earn it back. He's not going to miss any meals but that still has to sting.

Also as a side note per my math if any team claims him they will owe him $1.428M for the ROS and per Overthecap.com every team has that right now except the Vikings. That being said if SF does not claim him I'm not sure who else would.

I just remembered that Baker took a $3.5m pay cut to facilitate the trade and did not hit any incentives which that would have enabled to earn it back. He's not going to miss any meals but that still has to sting.

Also as a side note per my math if any team claims him they will owe him $1.428M for the ROS and per Overthecap.com every team has that right now except the Vikings. That being said if SF does not claim him I'm not sure who else would.
Rams for the block?

Good and what defines journeyman is subjective but I think most would agree several actually have done so.

Off top of my head Vinny, Bradford, Alex Smith are some that I'd think most would view as solid journeyman. Maybe Jeff George fits as well. Not sure if Cam's brief tenure with NE qualifies him.

Petyon, Palmer, Stafford and Vick are some off top of my head that played for different teams but they are above what I think anyone would term journeymen.

Rams for the block?
If so would be one of few times this year the Rams blocked anyone.

I think Rams are past the point of caring what the 49'ers do this year and as small as that cap number is you do get to carry over unused cap space and they need all they can.

Good and what defines journeyman is subjective but I think most would agree several actually have done so.

Off top of my head Vinny, Bradford, Alex Smith are some that I'd think most would view as solid journeyman. Maybe Jeff George fits as well. Not sure if Cam's brief tenure with NE qualifies him.

Petyon, Palmer, Stafford and Vick are some off top of my head that played for different teams but they are above what I think anyone would term journeymen.
Jim Plunkett. Third team was the charm

Feel like shanny can’t resist but also the 49ers are Down bad and need a body. Is mayfield a FA next year if he is claimed (last year of rookie deal)

Despite 'huge loss,' Garoppolo-less 49ers happy with current group

Excerpt:

Mayfield's release Monday from the Carolina Panthers was the topic du jour for many 49ers observers as it came shortly after Garoppolo's broken left foot. For the Niners to acquire Mayfield, he would have to either fall to their spot in the waiver wire (currently No. 24) or clear waivers and be free to negotiate a deal with San Francisco.

Mayfield is expected to be claimed on waivers Tuesday, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

When coach Kyle Shanahan was asked about Mayfield on Monday, he indicated the quarterback probably wouldn't be in the Niners' future, at least not right now.

"We look into everything, but that would surprise me right now," Shanahan said. "We've got to discuss more this afternoon and stuff. I've always been a fan of his, but I feel really good about our players. We'll look into everything, but I feel pretty good with where we're at right now."

With rookie Brock Purdy taking the reins as the starter, the Niners moved quickly to get a veteran backup, agreeing to terms with veteran Josh Johnson on Sunday night. Johnson has been with the Niners before, most recently in 2020, and that experience and knowledge of San Francisco's offense made a reunion appealing.

Rams claimed QB Baker Mayfield off waivers from the Panthers.​

It's probably a bit rich to believe Mayfield could start on Thursday night against the Raiders, but Bryce Perkins has not exactly offered the Rams much and John Wolford is dealing with a neck injury. He could very well be active and potentially get a small package of plays. While Mayfield was abysmal in Carolina, it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that he could be a superflex QB2 in the last month of the season under McVay. The Rams reportedly were also interested in the possibility that they could get a compensation pick from whoever signs Mayfield after the season. This feels a little like a soccer league loan than an actual long-term fit, but it could benefit both sides.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Dec 6, 2022, 4:09 PM ET

@OU#1 - I am requesting a thread title update on this one

edit:

old thread title:

QB Baker Mayfield, CAR

new thread title:

QB Baker Mayfield, LAR

easy edit...lol

Last edited:
I mean, Mayfield has proven he's no longer an NFL starter, but he's better than Wolford/Perkins. I like this move a lot for the Rams. No risk, possibly some reward.

Seen on the Panthers Reddit subforum:

Baker is a legend. He showed up, got Matt Rhule fired, then left. All for a 5th round pick​

renderTimingPixel.png

Get Matt Rhule and Robbie Anderson out of here
Refuse to elaborate

Users who are viewing this thread