What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Brock Purdy, SF (2 Viewers)

49ers seem elite with late round picks but brutal with earlier ones. Trey sermon and lance vs Elijah Mitchell and purdy lol

This kid!!

• Purdy joined HOF QB Dan Marino as the only QBs since 1950 with at least 2 touchdown passes and a passer rating of 100-or-higher in each of his first 3 career starts.

• With 2 TD passes, Purdy became the first QB since QB Kurt Warner (1999; Weeks 1-4, Week 2 BYE) to win his first three NFL starts and throw 2-or-more TD passes in each game.

• Purdy is the only rookie QB since 1950 to win his first 3 NFL starts and throw 2-or-more TD passes in each game.

• Purdy is the first NFL player since at least 1970 to register 185-or-more passing yds., 2-or-more passing TDs and a passer rating of 114.0-or-higher in each of his first 3 NFL starts.

• With the win, Purdy became the first QB in franchise history to win his first 3 NFL starts.

A list of every QB since 1950 to throw for multiple TDs with a 100+ passer rating in each of his first three career starts:

Dan Marino
Brock Purdy
He looks better than Garropolo. PFF has him at 66.9. I thought he'd be a little higher. Maybe he needs more wow throws ... like the long pass to CMC. Some of his receivers have been wide open, but give him credit for making the right decisions and accurate throws and good movement in the pocket. Mac Jones looked great for a rookie last year, then regressed some this year, so beware.

I could not like this player more.
Rookies struggle rookies don't generally lead well don't usually have poise but are nervous....on and on. He's checking a ton of boxes already

I heard all about arm strength not really being at the level you’d want for a starter. Has he improved that with mechanics and foot work ir is it just that he’s in a special offense this year and that high level arm strength isn’t too necessary? I two young kids and a wife so my life makes little room for watching more than one game a week lol

I heard all about arm strength not really being at the level you’d want for a starter. Has he improved that with mechanics and foot work ir is it just that he’s in a special offense this year and that high level arm strength isn’t too necessary? I two young kids and a wife so my life makes little room for watching more than one game a week lol

Brock Purdy’s December surprise: 49ers QB has been terrific with the deep ball

Excerpt:

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — The pre-draft scouting reports were clear: Iowa State quarterback Brock Purdy has a lot of terrific qualities, but the long ball isn’t one of them.

“Ball needs to come out sooner on deep-ball shots,” NFL.com’s analysis read. The “weaknesses” section of The Athletic’s report included this: “Arm strength is mediocre, especially when he doesn’t incorporate his base or hips.”

In his first three starts, however, Purdy has been accurate all over the field, including when he’s gone far down the field. He’s completed four of six attempts in which the ball traveled 20 or more yards, one of the highest percentages in the league, and all four of those completions have resulted in touchdowns. To put that in perspective, Jimmy Garoppolo started 10 games this season and has eight completions of 20 yards or more with one touchdown, according to Pro Football Focus.

Purdy’s deep-ball numbers include a 34-yard bomb to George Kittle in the third quarter Saturday, the decisive score in the 49ers’ 37-20 win over the Commanders.

Brock Purdy completed 22-of-35 passes for 284 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in the 49ers' 37-34, Week 17 win over the Raiders.​

Purdy's record as a start moves to 4-0 with this overtime win. He also extends his streak of games with exactly two passing touchdowns to five. Despite the pair of scores, it wasn't a perfect night for the rookie. He underthrew Kittle on a long shot that would've been good for a score, only to overthrow Jauan Jennings as he ran toward the end zone later in the game. His accuracy throughout the contest was lacking, though he did find some tight windows for good completions throughout the contest. The Raiders also gifted San Francisco the win in overtime with a quick interception that set the 49ers up for an easy field goal. By hook or by crook, Purdy has found a way to get the job done in every one of his starts. The 49ers are still able to get the No. 1 seed in the NFC, though they need a few games to break in their favor next week. Because of that, we should get their full allotment of starters in Week 18, keeping Purdy in play as a high-end QB2 versus the Cardinals.
Jan 1, 2023, 7:45 PM ET

Since taking over in Week 13, Brock Purdy LEADS the NFL in the following categories:

* Passing Touchdowns (13)
* Passer Rating (112.0)
* Yards Per Attempt (8.1)
* Wins (6)

#1 in the NFL in all four of those categories.

Going to be interesting to watch how SF handles their QB situation. How does SF not start Purdy next season?
Great question. He looks far far better than Trey Lance…..
As a 49er fan, I don't care if it's Purdy or Lance next year as long as it isn't Jimmy. But if the 49ers do win the super bowl this year, pretty damn hard to change QBs. Probably pretty hard to change even if they don't. Kid has been impressive.

That said, people bag on Lance way too much. The front office decided to draft a 20 year old QB who played 1 year of division 2 AND had sat out the year due to Covid. I thought they should have taken Fields, but WTF do I know? They couldn't have seriously expected much in 2021. Then he gets hurt early in game 2 this year. Hasn't exactly had an opportunity to grow into the position. I thought he threw the ball pretty well in the first half of the opener. Then the monsoon started and the whole offense went to crap. Anyway, just 22. No need to panic.

That said, people bag on Lance way too much. The front office decided to draft a 20 year old QB who played 1 year of division 2 AND had sat out the year due to Covid. I thought they should have taken Fields, but WTF do I know? They couldn't have seriously expected much in 2021. Then he gets hurt early in game 2 this year. Hasn't exactly had an opportunity to grow into the position. I thought he threw the ball pretty well in the first half of the opener. Then the monsoon started and the whole offense went to crap. Anyway, just 22. No need to panic.
The Niners are in a great position to not have to make a decision either way until training camp at the earliest, and let Purdy/Lance battle it out. Either way they have a starter and a backup in place, assuming Lance is back to 100% health.

The Niners are in a great position to not have to make a decision either way until training camp at the earliest, and let Purdy/Lance battle it out. Either way they have a starter and a backup in place, assuming Lance is back to 100% health.

This is best case scenario for them...it takes the pressure off of committing to Lance (because no one really knows where he is at both injury-wise and his overall development) without having to bring someone in like Brady or another veteran because your team is built to win now...you just go into camp and let it play out and get your answer...this could not have worked out better for the Niners both short and long term.

This is best case scenario for them...it takes the pressure off of committing to Lance (because no one really knows where he is at both injury-wise and his overall development) without having to bring someone in like Brady or another veteran because your team is built to win now...you just go into camp and let it play out and get your answer...this could not have worked out better for the Niners both short and long term.
Exactly - and makes it that much easier to walk away from Jimmy G, which is what the plan was all last off-season anyway.

Exactly - and makes it that much easier to walk away from Jimmy G, which is what the plan was all last off-season anyway.

Pre-Purdy I really thought Brady would end up there which would mean one more year of not playing for Lance...now you let these two battle it out in camp and figure it out from there.

Pre-Purdy I really thought Brady would end up there which would mean one more year of not playing for Lance...now you let these two battle it out in camp and figure it out from there.
Same

Purdy’s story has been really awesome to watch and unfold.

Let’s see how it finishes too.

I do expect there will be a QB competition in the summer. And it will be interesting to see what the 49ers decide if Purdy takes them far in the post season.

Last game I saw Purdy respond to some stretches of questionable play.

While it wasn’t as fun to see him struggle, he impressed me by shaking it off and playing through adversity.

Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing a totally different thing than other people are, and Brock Purdy is a great example of that. I think he's already on the level of a guy like Cousins, or healthy Stafford in year 1. He's looked outstanding, and has been doing much of it, without his best WR.

Bold call, Brock Purdy is a top-10 QB in the NFL right now. Unless he completely falls apart in the playoffs, I'm not sure Lance is even a threat to him at this point.

If he'd gotten the starting job earlier, he'd have been a lock as ROY.

Brock Purdy completed 18-of-30 attempts for 332 yards and three touchdowns in the 49ers' Wild Card win against the Seahawks, adding four rushes for 16 yards and a touchdown.​

Purdy was surgical throughout, feeding his run-after-the-catch superstars and letting them do their thing against a middling Seattle defense. Kyle Shanahan's game plan was nearly flawless and rarely put Purdy in a bad spot. He made several improvised plays that makes the 49ers offense far more dangerous than it has been with the immobile, uncreative Jimmy Garoppolo under center. The seventh-round rookie exuded confidence and, importantly, did not hesitate to throw the ball away when his pass catchers were covered. Purdy now has 16 touchdown passes in six games as the team's starter. The Niners might be the favorite to emerge from the NFC.
Jan 14, 2023, 8:10 PM ET

Get used to it.

#49ers QB Brock Purdy’s passer rating in each of his first 6 NFL starts:

131.5 (playoffs)

I thought Moose did a really good job both praising his strengths and pointing out his weaknesses today. Mainly about not going East-West with pressure but instead stepping up into the pocket.

He looks good. I'd flip Zach Wilson for him in a heartbeat. That goes without even saying at this point. Just looks darn good.

Assuming Purdy remains the guy next year, I think he’ll probably be a better real life QB than a fantasy one. That said, could be a great high floor guy to have in superflex/2QB leagues.

Purdy seems to be the perfect QB for Shanahans system. Put him on another team and maybe he's not as good, but in this system, on this team, I'm not sure Kyle needs anything more from his QB, and Kyle seems to trust him more than any QB he's had in SF.

What a 7th round find.

With so many QB needy teams, wonder if the Niners will dangle Lance for a trade if he’s back to health. Likely not to happen, but would be something to see Lance, Zach Wilson and Fields all on the move.

Users who are viewing this thread