What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dak Prescott, DAL (3 Viewers)

Yeah but those rookies have more playing experience than Lance, right? He barely played college.
It's really worse then just his lack of barely playing in college. On top of being very inexperienced he's rusty. From 2020 until now he's attempted 132 passes. Sure he's played in some preseason games and had some training camp but this guy has hardly played football since 2019. Watson still has not looked like his old self and he had plenty of experience, was proven, and was only out for 1.5 years.

Tough situation for Lance and he's faced with the oldest catch 22 in the books. Lack of experience prevents him from getting the work, the lack of work prevents him from getting experience. Add that to the layoff of hardly playing and I don't see how this changes for him. What coach is going to risk their job for that? Not the situation for a lot of on the job training. Might need to exit the NFL at some point and roam the spring leagues or start singing O' Canada for awhile.
Someone will give him a shot. I'm not worried about that. Even all that you have said I don't agree or disagree with you. He will be viewed as a backup prospect at worst. The Cowboys spent a 4th on him to bring him in. It only takes one team and there is more than one team that would bring him in and kick the tires as a backup. I think he still is well thought of as a young raw talent. He is a prospective player who is young. He also fits what scouts and gms like in today's NFL. He has the size and a cannon for an arm. He is mobile in and out of the pocket. Someone is going to want to see him as a project and at his cost can you blame them? In my opinion, he is a long way from stepping out of the league. Just on his age and draft pedigree alone no matter how bad the trade looks. Don't get it twisted. I see him as a prospective project and I don't see him replacing Dak Prescott or being on Dak's level.

I also think he is stuck in Dallas for the time being. He could be traded later when there is an injury elsewhere and depth might be needed. He could gain the Cowboys assets in that way for sure.

And herein lies my problem with Dak. His level? His level isn't good enough. His level is good against average to bad NFL teams and his level is not good when it comes to playoff football. It's not just a problem, it's a pattern. At 31, he is what he is.
4500 / 36 / 9 is pretty good for fantasy. I couldn’t care less about anything else, especially from a guy who is my 3rd QB.

Oh, he's fine for fantasy. My criticisms are on a different level - I care about the Cowboys winning real football games, but for fantasy? Sure, go with Dak. As long as they league doesn't deduct too much for INTs.
The criticism for his INTs is greatly exaggerated. Favre was worse at it than he is. So was Warren Moon.

His 3.7% INT rate in 2022 ranked 34th, below Davis Mills, Carson Wentz and Justin Fields, who I don't think anybody would confuse with Favre or Moon.
His INTs were a big reason the Cowboys prematurely exited the playoffs in 2022 and 2023 and his poor play overall helped author their 2021 exit as well. Sacked 5 times in that one, another issue that I suppose is greatly exaggerated.
Favre is the all- time leader in interceptions I believe.

Yeah but those rookies have more playing experience than Lance, right? He barely played college.
It's really worse then just his lack of barely playing in college. On top of being very inexperienced he's rusty. From 2020 until now he's attempted 132 passes. Sure he's played in some preseason games and had some training camp but this guy has hardly played football since 2019. Watson still has not looked like his old self and he had plenty of experience, was proven, and was only out for 1.5 years.

Tough situation for Lance and he's faced with the oldest catch 22 in the books. Lack of experience prevents him from getting the work, the lack of work prevents him from getting experience. Add that to the layoff of hardly playing and I don't see how this changes for him. What coach is going to risk their job for that? Not the situation for a lot of on the job training. Might need to exit the NFL at some point and roam the spring leagues or start singing O' Canada for awhile.
Someone will give him a shot. I'm not worried about that. Even all that you have said I don't agree or disagree with you. He will be viewed as a backup prospect at worst. The Cowboys spent a 4th on him to bring him in. It only takes one team and there is more than one team that would bring him in and kick the tires as a backup. I think he still is well thought of as a young raw talent. He is a prospective player who is young. He also fits what scouts and gms like in today's NFL. He has the size and a cannon for an arm. He is mobile in and out of the pocket. Someone is going to want to see him as a project and at his cost can you blame them? In my opinion, he is a long way from stepping out of the league. Just on his age and draft pedigree alone no matter how bad the trade looks. Don't get it twisted. I see him as a prospective project and I don't see him replacing Dak Prescott or being on Dak's level.

I also think he is stuck in Dallas for the time being. He could be traded later when there is an injury elsewhere and depth might be needed. He could gain the Cowboys assets in that way for sure.

And herein lies my problem with Dak. His level? His level isn't good enough. His level is good against average to bad NFL teams and his level is not good when it comes to playoff football. It's not just a problem, it's a pattern. At 31, he is what he is.
4500 / 36 / 9 is pretty good for fantasy. I couldn’t care less about anything else, especially from a guy who is my 3rd QB.

Oh, he's fine for fantasy. My criticisms are on a different level - I care about the Cowboys winning real football games, but for fantasy? Sure, go with Dak. As long as they league doesn't deduct too much for INTs.
The criticism for his INTs is greatly exaggerated. Favre was worse at it than he is. So was Warren Moon.

His 3.7% INT rate in 2022 ranked 34th, below Davis Mills, Carson Wentz and Justin Fields, who I don't think anybody would confuse with Favre or Moon.
His INTs were a big reason the Cowboys prematurely exited the playoffs in 2022 and 2023 and his poor play overall helped author their 2021 exit as well. Sacked 5 times in that one, another issue that I suppose is greatly exaggerated.
Favre is the all- time leader in interceptions I believe.

And he's also in the Hall of Fame and he also won a super bowl.....

Dak has yet to win two playoff games in the same season and can forget Canton.

From a long term, fiscally sound point of view, this might be the best thing Dallas could do.

They are clearly ready to let him walk. Otherwise, they would have paid him. So maybe Dallas sees the same thing everyone here sees, which is that he's mid plus.

Taking the route of, OK we gonna eat some dirt this year with Dak's contract, but this way we aren't wasting 5 more years with him, just to gain some cap room this year.

If you don't believe in Dak as a QB, this is clearly the right move.

From a long term, fiscally sound point of view, this might be the best thing Dallas could do.

They are clearly ready to let him walk. Otherwise, they would have paid him. So maybe Dallas sees the same thing everyone here sees, which is that he's mid plus.

Taking the route of, OK we gonna eat some dirt this year with Dak's contract, but this way we aren't wasting 5 more years with him, just to gain some cap room this year.

I hear ya here. But these moves are not made in a vacuum. They were just the 2 seed last year, 12 wins in 3 straight years and ya know if you tell guys like Micah and/or CD that they are signing up long term with a "Who" at QB, it could have quite the devastating domino effect.

I am sitting here....saying small prayers that the Dolphins do exactly what Dallas just did with Dak.....to Tua.

Let him walk.

Let someone else pay that guy 50-55MM.......he ain’t worth it......at all. Numbers means nothing. Wins vs playoff caliber teams is what matters. Putting a team on your back is what matters.

Dar ain't it......and neither is Tua.

Let some other suckers pay them.

Just seems weird. Does that mean people think McCarthy, not Dak, is the reason this team has been successful the past few years in the regular season?

I am guessing that Dallas offered him a deal a notch below, with a lot of incentives, and Dak has all the leverage, so he was probably like, 3 years 150 fully guaranteed. Something like that.

Funny thing is, the best outcome for Dak would probably be to give a discount, and try and get 'er done with Dallas, because one SB ring erases all bad Dak juju. He's be Eli Manning at worst in the mind of Cowboys fans. If I was his agent, I would be like, 'stay here, and win in Dallas. You'll be treated like a sultan'

I wonder if there's a deal to be made after the draft, maybe a sign/trade with someone. Dak adjust his deal to get new money with a new team.

Maybe the Raiders if they get shut out of the QBs.

It has to end at some point. You can not keep extending him and pushing the can down the road. Just ride it out and see what happens. He gets it done then get the "bag" out later.

Users who are viewing this thread