What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dak Prescott, DAL (3 Viewers)

This is the perfect storm, and it's arrived. Dak gets at least 1/2 a season to play as the starter, on an offense surrounded by a good line, high talent rookie RB, and one of the best WR's in the game. His dyno value will skyrocket as a running QB with all that said. I had a claim in this week thinking I could sneak in while Romo's still starting. :wall:
Thaaaat's a shame.

/seinfeld

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it
And I know, I know, I know, I know, I know I want you!

I don't like this for any players.  Bad for Dak because he now goes from vanilla pre-season to the expectation in real games (could've benefited by not being tossed to the fire). 

Bad for elliot because he doesn't have Romo/Dez to keep defenses honest.

Bad for Dez because barring a scenario where Dak=Cam as a rookie, history suggests Dak won't be viable enough to allow Dez to live up to his potential. 

Maybe it is good for Whitten as a security blanket but all in all kinda kills the Cowboys buzz, Real life and FF.

I don't like this for any players.  Bad for Dak because he now goes from vanilla pre-season to the expectation in real games (could've benefited by not being tossed to the fire). 

Bad for Dez because barring a scenario where Dak=Cam as a rookie, history suggests Dak won't be viable enough to allow Dez to live up to his potential. 

Maybe it is good for Whitten as a security blanket but all in all kinda kills the Cowboys buzz, Real life and FF.
RG3 and Cam recent history of mobile rookie QBs says otherwise. And neither had a pro bowl WR, vet HOF TE or (allegedly) top RB. The parallels minus the draft pedigree are there. And Dak has looked better than either in preseason.

Yes, I'm drinking the Kool Aid, but it would take a serious regression in play for Dak to not perform like a low-end QB1. And obviously the ceiling is high.

RG3 and Cam recent history of mobile rookie QBs says otherwise. And neither had a pro bowl WR, vet HOF TE or (allegedly) top RB. The parallels minus the draft pedigree are there. And Dak has looked better than either in preseason.

Yes, I'm drinking the Kool Aid, but it would take a serious regression in play for Dak to not perform like a low-end QB1. And obviously the ceiling is high.
Yeah, you are drinking the kool aid. I get it, I just disagree.  When I say this is bad for Dak, i'm talking outside FF as much as anything. Being thrown to the fire gets young QBs shell shocked and beat up. RG3 is a PRIME example. Very promising career tossed sideways when it got snowballed on them. 

I just think preseason is very misleading.  A lot of guys can look good playing against very simple defenses.  In real games, and I think the Giants are their first opponent), this could be ugly. The Giants know the Cowboys well, can apply a pass rush, and they can score and force the Cowboys to do a lot of UGLY things.  

Yeah, you are drinking the kool aid. I get it, I just disagree.  When I say this is bad for Dak, i'm talking outside FF as much as anything. Being thrown to the fire gets young QBs shell shocked and beat up. RG3 is a PRIME example. Very promising career tossed sideways when it got snowballed on them. 

I just think preseason is very misleading.  A lot of guys can look good playing against very simple defenses.  In real games, and I think the Giants are their first opponent), this could be ugly. The Giants know the Cowboys well, can apply a pass rush, and they can score and force the Cowboys to do a lot of UGLY things.  
This kid is ahead of his age, we've rarely seen a guy look so comfortable in live action as a rookie this early on except for one or two in recent memory. Don't fight it, let it go and enjoy the show. 

I'm downgrading all Cowboys for the moment but I still am rooting for Prescott, it's hard not to like this kid. 

Show us a team with 2 better looking rookies than the Dallas Cowboys Prescott and Elliott, amiRight?

RGIII is a horrible comparison. He self imploded. 

The rubber is about 2 weeks away from hitting the road. This ought to be immensely interesting - and I'll freely admit that I am no Cowboy fan by any stretch, but I have been a fan of Prescott's throughout college and do hope he succeeds, but this is going to be a very tall order. 

How about it taking Ds playing starters and regular season schemes for 4 quarters every game?  Dak has yet to see that once. Now he's got a full plate coming. 

Lol, so Marcus and Winston can start as a rookie but Dak can't? Those two started as rooks and no one had a problem with it. Dak is playing better than both at this time during their rookie reason AND he has better talent around him. What is wrong with everyone? It's going to be ok!

Tex

How about it taking Ds playing starters and regular season schemes for 4 quarters every game?  Dak has yet to see that once. Now he's got a full plate coming. 
Seattle was showing different fronts and brought several exotic blitzes. You know from watching him in college that the kid is special. In fact, Id be interested in hearing your thoughts on him.

He will struggle sure, but the kid is a gamer and will only improve. I mean, it isn;t like we are trotting out Jeff Goff. Dak will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dak looks incredibly poised so far. Some QB prospects can handle the pressure, others can't. It's a huge factor. There's something to be said for 5 years of college football at an SEC school. Do I expect him to continue this pace? Of course not. He'll be facing starters the whole game & won't see nearly as many vanilla schemes.

That said, Dak has good raw skills & their excellent OL should give him time in the pocket as well as a strong running game. This actually might be a blessing in disguise. Romo had more INTs than TDs in the games he did play last season. At his age, he certainly could be well on the way to regressing. He can happen quickly as we all saw with Peyton.

As a Cowboys fan, I'm cautiously optimistic. We'll know much more after week 1.

Lol, so Marcus and Winston can start as a rookie but Dak can't? Those two started as rooks and no one had a problem with it. Dak is playing better than both at this time during their rookie reason AND he has better talent around him. What is wrong with everyone? It's going to be ok!

Tex
It's very different. They were the assured starters. Mariota played behind arguably the worst OL ever and Winston's wasn't all that good.

The line is everything here, IMO. So much of being a rookie QB is them being rushed in their decision making. I can't think of a rookie QB that has been afforded time like Dak will be. 

This probably doesn't change anything for Dez, still a nice season ahead. I wonder about Witten. The older he gets, the more he uses his body like a hoops player getting position and less about using his legs to get open. He catches a slew of passes where he's covered pretty well. Dak's not going to have that faith Romo has in him. Witten could be  (and always has been) a great outlet for the rook, but I'm leery for the first time in his career

How does Dunbar look? Didn't he return recently? I always like a rook to have a dumpoff guy. Could be a RB or some speedy little bugger WR.

I listen to Cowboys radio all the time living in Oklahoma and ...gotta say with Elliot and Dak and this news, it almost seems like a new era began when we weren't looking.

I don't much care for Romo in the playoffs and think he plays way too much like the dunderhead Bledsoe that tutored him a million years ago. If Dak is doing well, I wouldn't be so sure there's a rush to put Romo back in.

I think I pee'd my pants when I saw the Romo news.  OMG!!!  I'm white girl starbucks excited LETS GOO!!!!

ok guys, it's draft week.  Where are y'all slotting Prescott?  I'm thinking somewhere in the mid QB2 range - Dalton, Fitz, Tannehill, Carr range.

14 teamer. 2 QB. PPR. 

Went 7.06 round to the Tom Brady (4th) and Matt Stafford (6th) owner. He was the last team in the league to obtain a (must start two) RB.

14 teamer. 2 QB. PPR. 

Went 7.06 round to the Tom Brady (4th) and Matt Stafford (6th) owner. He was the last team in the league to obtain a (must start two) RB.
I like that angle for a 2QB league, gamble with Dak for the first few games, and worst case he hedges with whatever he can do on the ground. Best you have your QB2 starter to go with Brady, and hard to do better than Stafford for Byes/Injury.

I like that angle for a 2QB league, gamble with Dak for the first few games, and worst case he hedges with whatever he can do on the ground. Best you have your QB2 starter to go with Brady, and hard to do better than Stafford for Byes/Injury.
I went a different route... Cam and Big Ben.  :football:   

Wanted Dak but I had enough invested in the QB spot and just couldn't pull the trigger.  Took starters DeMarco Murray (rb2) and Sterling Sheppard (wr3) just ahead of him.

Now that i gotta drop romo i was actually considering picking up Dak in case he does start off great but think going with Tannehill as my qb2 is wiser

My 3 round free agent draft starts tomorrow.  I did have the 5th pick but just traded my 2017 rookie 2nd and my 2nd round free agent pick this year (which would have filled a kicker/defense slot) for the 1.01.  22 man rosters and 1 QB league.  Current QB's are Ryan and Mariota. 

Basically a 2017 2nd for Dak and I'm veeeery happy with the move.

Now that i gotta drop romo i was actually considering picking up Dak in case he does start off great but think going with Tannehill as my qb2 is wiser
Dak has looked really good. I know it's preseason and he's still a rook so he'll have some ups and downs for sure. I would understand going with Tannehill too. It's a tough decision to make.

Tex

My 3 round free agent draft starts tomorrow.  I did have the 5th pick but just traded my 2017 rookie 2nd and my 2nd round free agent pick this year (which would have filled a kicker/defense slot) for the 1.01.  22 man rosters and 1 QB league.  Current QB's are Ryan and Mariota. 

Basically a 2017 2nd for Dak and I'm veeeery happy with the move.
2017 will have studs in the 3rd round, considering the stud Juniors declare. I think it's a good trade but would try to get that 2nd back via trade.

Tex

Today I was offered Kenneth Dixon and Paxton Lynch for Dak Prescott. It was in our Dynasty League. 12-team PPR.

so, in case you didn't listen to the latest edition of the audible. Dak prescott is ok.  He is not an A+

this reeks of jerry jones over reacting to the early returns

Tannehill has a real tough Week 1 matchup (SEA), so while I agree generally that Tannehill is safer, I'd be tempted to roll the dice with Dak Week 1.

Okay I haven't seen this question asked yet so here it goes;

In a 10 team league/16 players, I pick my 2 QB's as needed and I save my last pick for Dak Prescott and sacrifice one of my TE/Def/K/ position for him.

Good move or simply foolish. I'm curious. My gut says this kid will be another a Tom Brady type situation and is just as ready as Russel Wilson was. He has a great OL to keep him safe, excellent WR & RB to compliment him and he runs/scrambles.  Besides this is Fantasy right guys. I think it's moves like this that can make the difference for any team owner. It's a 50/50 gamble and I have no problem giving a TE/Def/K position to get him. In a sense buy picking him up I can probably sacrifice my QB2 pick one more round to get a decent RB/WR 4 

It's such a tough situation to get a read on. Either you believe preseason can sometimes accurately showcase what a player is or you don't. If you do, it's not possible to look better than he has looked.

His situation is very similar to Russell Wilson's IMO. Overlooked on draft day, dynamite in preseason, can scramble and extend plays, has a powerhouse running game, great pass protection. He's at least shown he's capable of making plays. I think you have to expect he'll have rocky stretches and probably turn the ball over quite a bit. I'm buying in fantasy because I think he can run for 30 a game and score touchdowns with that run game.

We already drafted, currently in a blind bid for FAs.  $100 BB pool used for the year.  This is essentially a 2QB league, and a 3 year keeper league (so if Dak performs well, very valuable).

What do you guys bid on him?

Users who are viewing this thread