What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (4 Viewers)

Well, guess Josina isn't all that full of crap... The big guys are all on board with the same information now about a decision today. 

Maybe just this time she knows more than we're used to her knowing... We'll find out soon!

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
The last remaining masseuse should be put into witness protection.

3 of the remaining 4 settled (official, per top sources), the day before the parties were advised a decision is coming.

Does that mean something or mean nothing? Could be seen as getting something before the well runs dry, or could just be sheer coiincidence.

Anyways, it's been a hoot. Served it's purpose during the boring months. Cheers to you all, even if I disagreed with you, and still do. 
coincidence, my ###

the only coincidences involve skckness after getting a Covid vax

0 game suspension coming

3 settlements clearing the decks to focus on game 1

pretty important that the 1st, best case involving Ashley is one of 3 to settle

good thing this wasn't a money grab circus orchestrated by Buzbee, rushing to get his 33% before the curtain is pulled back with Robinson's decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty important that the 1st, best case involving Ashley is one of 3 to settle
By best case, do you mean the one we are "most sure" he sexually harassed?  Yeah, if I was in Watson's corner, I would hope I can pay off that lady too.

You ever play that game with a group of friends - the one where you ask each other what you would do for a million dollars?  Well, let's play that one now.  Would you let a naked guy chase you around a room while he masturbates?  I would!

QB Deshaun Watson has been suspended for the first six games of the NFL season.

The NFLPA and Watson announced Sunday that they would not appeal the decision, likely aware at the time that the suspension would be on the shorter side. The NFL, who had reportedly sought an indefinite suspension of at least one year, has three days to appeal the decision. 

I have mixed feelings about handing out long suspensions over off-the-field conduct, but six games seems awfully light.  I really don't care to watch Deshaun Watson play football, not that that should form the basis of a suspension, of course.  

boooooooooooooooring. 

every w a noggin knew it was 6 games for how long now? we still needed a 2+month song and dance?

Calvin Ridley was suspended an entire season and lost 11.4 million in salary for gambling $1500 on NFL parlays. Deshaun Watson got six games and is losingb 1.1 million for 30 women accusing him of sexual assault.

yes, it's as simple as this.

oh, and eta: he's losing 345k, not 1.1m.

yes, it's as simple as this.

oh, and eta: he's losing 345k, not 1.1m.
Again, we don't know for sure that he will miss only 6 games, nor do we know that he is only losing that limited amount of salary. All we have is a recommendation from the discipline officer for now. The league can appeal and still up the number of games and impose a hefty fine if it wants to.

ok, so now we all jump from deshaun never playing again, to the NFL taking a huge steaming diarrhea on a female judge the FIRST time a neutral arbitaror is used and renders a decision, under the new CBA?

got it.

ok, so now we all jump from deshaun never playing again, to the NFL taking a huge steaming diarrhea on a female judge the FIRST time a neutral arbitaror is used and renders a decision, under the new CBA?

got it.

Not dumping, just seems like 6 games is a little light considering other suspensions.

Not dumping, just seems like 6 games is a little light considering other suspensions.

so again... a retired female judge, who fully understands and comprehends the law and evidence and just decision making decided on 6 games.

so yes, disregarding her decision would be taking a steaming diarrhea on her face

anyways, decision's been made. im done w this thread until he starts playing again. 

goodnight, farewell and see you in some other thread. xo

so again... a retired female judge, who fully understands and comprehends the law and evidence and just decision making decided on 6 games.

so yes, disregarding her decision would be taking a steaming diarrhea on her face

I don't know anything about her or her experience handing out suspensions for sports leagues, but given what other players have gotten for other offenses it seems like he got off easy.

The fact the NFL players association is not appealing it seems to confirm they are happy with her decision.  

You seem very defensive, just be glad your guy got less than what was expected by general public outside of Cleveland.

From ESPN.com…

Robinson's comprehensive 15-page conclusion stated that though Watson violated the personal conduct policy, there was not enough evidence to justify an indefinite suspension, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

Just feels like this has been a continuing theme once we actually put this through pitchfork-less systems of justice.

That statement from the NFLPA last night was pretty shady. 

I am curious what happens if these remaining cases go to trial and if more disturbing stuff gets made public and/or there’s a verdict against him during the season, how this 6 games looks. 

Calvin Ridley was suspended an entire season and lost 11.4 million in salary for gambling $1500 on NFL parlays. Deshaun Watson got six games and is losingb 1.1 million for 30 women accusing him of sexual assault.

To be clear, Watson was suspended for zero games based on the 30 accusations.

He got six games based on the evidence presented at the hearing. Is that too little? Wouldn't that depend on what the evidence was? None of us know what the evidence was.

Sue Robinson followed the procedure stipulated by the agreement of the owners and NFLPA and only used the evidence set forth in the agreement to base her ruling.

----------------------------------------------------

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer

1) Sue L. Robinson's decision wasn't based on the 24 lawsuits. It was based on five cases brought by the NFL (4 of the 5 were plaintiffs). So yes, there are a lot more accusations against Watson. But Robinson's decision is based on the five cases the NFL presented her with.

2) The NFL and NFLPA negotiated this process in 2020. And the league agreed to it in part because some owners, after so many missteps in discipline over the last decade, wanted the NFL to take a step back in that arena, and in essence outsource some of it.

3) So Roger Goodell/the NFL's decision here is complicated. Do they want to undermine a process they just established? Do they want to go back to federal court with a player?

------------------------------------------

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

NFL now has three days to decide to appeal Deshaun Watson’s six-game suspension.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL rides with this decision. 

I don't think the NFL wants to drag this out more, this was a judge's decision, they can pass the blame for a "light" suspension. The Browns losing their QB for 6 weeks makes the playoffs a long shot, I dunno if the rest of the league wants to punish the team (maybe for that contract.) 

Yeah but you know these are apples and oranges. One could affect outcomes of games.   That’s the difference. Guy who gambles could get in deep and their way out is to throw games. What Watson did was bad but it didn’t affect the integrity of the game itself 

I don't think the NFL wants to drag this out more, this was a judge's decision, they can pass the blame for a "light" suspension. The Browns losing their QB for 6 weeks makes the playoffs a long shot, I dunno if the rest of the league wants to punish the team (maybe for that contract.) 
Domonique Foxworth, former NFLPA President and current ESPN commentator, said the players association fully expects the league will appeal.

🤷 honestly given the evidence as we think we know it, it seems reasonable. And expected. 

I’m fully on board with saying Ridley was overly punished. But at least we know what he did and it was against the PCP. 

Let’s  play “you’re the decision maker” now. 
If it’s me, I’m definitely accepting the suspension and moving on. Play up the neutral, experienced judge and our support for the process. And move on with business. 

Jeff Darlington@JeffDarlington

If you want to understand next step in Watson situation, here's exact language that NFL & NFLPA agreed upon in CBA. Most notably, last line in case of appeal: "The commissioner will issue a written decision that will constitute full, final & complete disposition of the dispute."

LINK to document

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Goodell and the league appeal the decision, they have to base their decision on the same evidence that Judge Robinson based her ruling.  

If Goodell appeals, then the appeal goes to a federal court where a different judge would rule based on the same NFL CBA agreement.

Sue Robinson followed procedure and based her decision on the CBA using the evidence she was provided to her by the NFL.

This tweet sums up Goodell's option.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Nick Shepherd@nickshep7777

Goodell would be unbelievably stupid to appeal at this point. It goes to federal court from there. The NFL does not want that

Comparing this with Ridley is like comparing apples to motor oil. Ridley's suspension is 100% deserved in my opinion, as its a slippery slope to calling into question the very integrity of the sport itself. Nothing is more important to the continued success of the NFL, than making absolutely sure players are on the up and up.

I would have liked to see a bigger suspension for Watson, but its tough without the legal system doing more. Watson's offenses simply don't move the needle for a year suspension unless there is evidence to suggest more than what we know, which it appears there isn't.

I would also posit, that this could potentially bode well for Kamara as well, as again, his offense has nothing to do with the NFL, so as long as the legal system doesn't drop the hammer on him, I would think a 0-4 game suspension is in his future. 

“…if the NFL does appeal and the discipline increases, I would fully expect the NFLPA at that point would take this to Federal Court and create as much chaos as they can into the regular season.”

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1554085085850345474

Users who are viewing this thread