What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jared Goff, DET (1 Viewer)

More of a team take than Goff, but it applies I guess:

People owning Rams this year are going to be pissed in the playoffs imo.

This is a 0-1 loss team that will clinch home field early.
Not sure about that.  If I’m not mistaken, they took Week 17 off largely after clinching and we’re quite sluggish against the Falcons in losing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking I might be starting to feel bad for trading him for K. Allen in dynasty this year & Keeping Stafford instead...

Has Goff surpassed guys like Watson/Wilson in terms of value and rest of season expectations going forward? Those two are guys that are having down years compared to perceived value coming into the year, but have a relatively safe floor because of their rushing ability. Was last night's game enough to catapult Goff above them for the remainder of the season (for fantasy purposes)?

Has Goff surpassed guys like Watson/Wilson in terms of value and rest of season expectations going forward? Those two are guys that are having down years compared to perceived value coming into the year, but have a relatively safe floor because of their rushing ability. Was last night's game enough to catapult Goff above them for the remainder of the season (for fantasy purposes)?
Wilson always starts slowly. I'd say expectations should be similar to them, but might give the edge to Goff due to better OL, OC, and receiving talent. Wilson's legs usually give him an advantage, but he isn't using them this year. 

I had Goff over Watson before the season, so I obviously still stand by that.

I don’t remember ever seeing a QB look so incapable his first year and so quickly turning into a star. Night and day. Much credit to Jeff Fisher who is masterful at disguising greatness.
Just goes to show how terrible Jeff Fisher was at developing QBs.     I can only imagine how good Steve McNair would have been with a real offensive coach.  

You are certainly the poster boy for "waiting to draft a QB".  Well done! 
Rather be lucky than good any day.  Wanted Ben, Rivers, Alex Smith or a host of others.  These were just the guys there when I finally pulled the trigger.  QBs are (nearly) impossible to trade in redraft so I plan to just ride the wave. 

I don’t remember ever seeing a QB look so incapable his first year and so quickly turning into a star. Night and day. Much credit to Jeff Fisher who is masterful at disguising greatness.
There isn't proof of it, but from beat writers talk about watching him in practice, Aaron Rodgers would have been someone like that had he gotten on the field early. I recall some talk that they weren't sure he was gonna be any good when Favre left. They drafted a QB(Brian Brohm) in round 2 that year as a hedge.

Just goes to show how terrible Jeff Fisher was at developing QBs.     I can only imagine how good Steve McNair would have been with a real offensive coach.  
A lot of ex-players on defense seemed to think he'd have been the most dangerous QB in the NFL in a different offense. I remember Ray Lewis saying McNair was the toughest QB to play against. Not Manning, Brady, Favre, but McNair.

I thought this before this week, too.  He doesn't have the strongest arm, but it's very accurate.  Gets it out on time, nice touch on short passes, plenty of arm for deep passes.  Utilizes his weapons well and finds the right guy consistently.  Moves around pretty well.  Not the greatest talent based on measurables, but seems to do everything well and has developed quickly.

Reminds me a lot of Brady, but Brady wasn't even Brady until he was 30 years old... before that, he was just a good QB who'd throw between 24 and 28 TDs per year with double digit INTs.

Waited at QB and took Mahomes and Goff at the 13/14 turn in my main league.  No foresight they were just the 2 there when I drafted.  But yeesh.
Pick one to keep and trade the other for an elite RB or WR.  I did that last year when I had Brady and Wentz.  Kept Wentz and trade Brady for Fournette.  Course I took a big hit when Wentz went down.

Pick one to keep and trade the other for an elite RB or WR.  I did that last year when I had Brady and Wentz.  Kept Wentz and trade Brady for Fournette.  Course I took a big hit when Wentz went down.
Man I would if I could.  I just think that in a redraft QB is so replaceable that everyone has a good one.  Just my experience but a top shelf QB doesn't usually command more than an RB3 or WR3 at best.

Thinking I might be starting to feel bad for trading him for K. Allen in dynasty this year & Keeping Stafford instead...
If 1QB, that's a nice get in dynasty. Stafford is a solid starter. Finished QB6 last year. Have to think Keenan is a bigger WR upgrade than Goff would be over Stafford. Although not if Goff keeps up this pace.  :shock:

Man I would if I could.  I just think that in a redraft QB is so replaceable that everyone has a good one.  Just my experience but a top shelf QB doesn't usually command more than an RB3 or WR3 at best.
True, but you might holler at the former Garoppolo owner. 

You actually just made the case to keep both.  :D

You actually just made the case to keep both.  :D
Yeah, I can see that argument/thought.  I'd rather trade one and bolster my starting lineup rather than hold on to both in case of injury.  BTW, I still ended up winning my championship even throwing in Eli Manning after Wentz went down.

Can’t believe I hadn’t posted in this thread before. Goff is in a perfect situation that is allowing his talent to flourish. 

I can't think of a better way to teach a quarterback than to have the coach in his ear during a real game telling him what the defense is doing and how to respond. It's as direct as you can get.  That experience probably fast forwarded him years of traditional game film study. 

I can't think of a better way to teach a quarterback than to have the coach in his ear during a real game telling him what the defense is doing and how to respond. It's as direct as you can get.  That experience probably fast forwarded him years of traditional game film study. 
Or McVay is just doing it for him. It doesn't matter because it's obviously working......

Or McVay is just doing it for him. It doesn't matter because it's obviously working......
McVay isn’t making those dime throws.  Goff is legit, period.  He’s still young and got a ton of growth ahead but dude is real.   

What it really goes to show is how much of a QB killer Fisher was.  His only ever real QB was McNair who succeeded in spite of Fisher not because of.  Makes you wonder just how great McNair could have been.....

McVay isn’t making those dime throws.  Goff is legit, period.  He’s still young and got a ton of growth ahead but dude is real.   
Its both. Goff was a great talent.  And it is also the WRs.  It may turn out to be arguably the best WR corps in history.  Next few years will tell. 

What it really goes to show is how much of a QB killer Fisher was.  His only ever real QB was McNair who succeeded in spite of Fisher not because of.  Makes you wonder just how great McNair could have been.....
Yeah it doesn't matter if it's Mcvay or not. He's not going anywhere. Goff is throwing the ball better than anybody right now.  

Its both. Goff was a great talent.  And it is also the WRs.  It may turn out to be arguably the best WR corps in history.  Next few years will tell. 
No argument here.  There’s also this other guy too who’s kinda good.  What’s his name again? Think he plays RB or something. Lol

This situation has taught me that coaches matter more than anybody wants to admit.......i will be trying to figure out how I can exploit that in the future......

Well the good ones keep succeeding year after year (BB, Reid, Payton). Load up on the seemingly great young coaches teams (Mcvay, Peterson, ?) 

If the Browns get a great offensive mind, load up. 

Interesting thing about Goff and this thread and it relates to the tipping point of the market with regard to perception on him.

This thread started 3+ years ago.  In that time, he was drafted 1st overall, bombed his first season and then came thru with a very solid (even better than solid) 2nd season.  Only a little over 10 pages up until 9/23.  Last week alone has seen 2+ pages. 

People wanting to talk about Goff for really the first time.  

The Ram defense struggled vs Cousins and the Vikings, partly due to injuries in the secondary. But it could shutdown 2 of the next 3 opponents - the Broncos in 2 weeks and SF in 3 weeks. Goff may not have to do much in those game, although the coach had him throw a TD up 27-0 late in the Arizona shutout.

The Ram defense struggled vs Cousins and the Vikings, partly due to injuries in the secondary. But it could shutdown 2 of the next 3 opponents - the Broncos in 2 weeks and SF in 3 weeks. Goff may not have to do much in those game, although the coach had him throw a TD up 27-0 late in the Arizona shutout.
McVay though isn’t just not running te football when they’re up.  He’s running play action.  He’s putting his figurative foot on his opponents throat.

Jared Goff leads all passers in completions to gain 10 or more yards (61) and completions to gain 20 or more yards (23) while ranking second in completions to gain 50 or more yards (four) on the season.

Over the past two weeks, Goff has the second (44.3 passing yards) and third highest (42.3 yards) games of passing yards per possession on the season after Ryan Fitzpatrick's Week 1 performance (46.3 yards per drive).

Goff is just the second Rams quarterback to ever throw for over 350 yards in three consecutive games, joining Kurt Warner in 2000.

There’s no wonky defensive splits on his resume to start as this offense has just done whatever they want over the opening month of the season. The Seahawks have been respectable defensively to start the season, but have faced Case Keenum, Mitchell Trubisky, Dak Prescott and Josh Rosen while they’ve just lost Earl Thomas.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/82592/478/the-nfl-week-5-worksheet?pg=3

McVay though isn’t just not running te football when they’re up.  He’s running play action.  He’s putting his figurative foot on his opponents throat.
Yep, and its great to watch. I can't think of the amount of games I've watched where a team got a 2-3 score lead, and then basically stopped playing offense, and let teams come back. Kudos to McVay for realizing a game isn't over until its over. Nagy did that against Tampa as well last week, and it was refreshing to see.

I am on the bandwagon. Just traded Anthony Miller (whom I like but who is in a bad situation and now injured) and a 2019 2nd round pick for Goff. I think it is a fair trade.  Goff had a good 2017 and has a good start to 2018. But he is no guarantee to be a perennial top 6 QB.  He hasn't proven it for multiple years.  I like Miller's upside and the 2nd round rookie pick should lead to another player with upside.

Users who are viewing this thread