What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jared Goff, DET (2 Viewers)

I drafted him round 6 in my 12 team standard league.  It was early because in our league QBs usually fly off the board.  And I panicked a little because I was targeting Matt Ryan as my late round QB and he was gone.

They are both better than Wentz imo but yeah it should be a good decade for both these teams.....
Recency bias. They're playing better than Wentz right now but Wentz outplayed Goff last year, both overall and in their head-to-head matchup. And both Goff and Mahomes have the advantage of an elite RB, and Mahomes has a pretty big advantage in the receiving corps. Hill and Kelce are both elite at their positions. 

Recency bias. They're playing better than Wentz right now but Wentz outplayed Goff last year, both overall and in their head-to-head matchup. And both Goff and Mahomes have the advantage of an elite RB, and Mahomes has a pretty big advantage in the receiving corps. Hill and Kelce are both elite at their positions. 
I never say wow when I see Wentz throw. I never see crazy throws like I see from Goff and Mahomes every game. I used to think Wentz was just getting lucky but I was wrong. Wentz is Houdini in the pocket. He tends to extend plays and because of that skill when the play breaks down he has easier throws. He's good but he's no Jared Goff and he's certainly not Patrick Mahomes. 

Wentz also has some nice receiving weapons but yeah there is only one Tyreek Hill. The the RB's really aren't the reason the QBs are thriving. For Goff it's a great coach with the best offensive game plan in the league plus Cooks is elite and opens everything up for everybody. For Mahomes he has the most feared offensive threat in the game in Tyreek opening everything up for him and he has generational arm talent. You have to defend the entire field with him. He has a chance to go down as the greatest ever if he stays healthy. Wentz has near zero chance at that ceiling. Good player? Yes. Top 5......not for me.

Jared Goff has clearly joined the echelon of elite QBs.   The touch and the ability to fit a throw in tight quarters is simply astounding.   

The only guy that could stop him from putting up huge numbers is Jeff Fisher.  

Jared Goff has clearly joined the echelon of elite QBs.   The touch and the ability to fit a throw in tight quarters is simply astounding.   

The only guy that could stop him from putting up huge numbers is Jeff Fisher.  
Fisher sucked don't get me wrong,  but mcvay is the first coach i've ever heard of who used the helmet communication as effectively as they did to not only help goff run the offense, but teach him in real time what to look at when reading the defense.  That's a huge innovation in developing young quarterbacks and in my opinion goff benefitted much more from that coaching than from getting rid of Fisher.  

Goff would still probably have been quite good, but not as quickly and not as good if he hadn't gotten great coaching and receiving talent.  I think his ceiling has been permanently lifted and  continues to rise while he gets more experience in the same system with the same coaches and with excellent receivers.  

Well, Goff had a higher YPA and higher completion percentage last year. Wentz was ahead in TDs. They were on similar overall yards pace. However, in their 3rd year Goff has clearly pulled ahead.

Surprised FBG have him ranked so highly this week.  Against bad teams he tends to put up about 250 yards and 1-2 TDs and then let Gurley and the defense handle the rest.  Very little chance of a shootout.

He put up a stinker vs the Lions.  I’m not feeling it at Chi.  Anyone starting him?
With confidence 

Last place schedule and lack of QB talent faced for this bears team

the only “good” QBs they have faced have been Rogers and Brady, both threw 3 TDs vs them. 

Then again, my only other option is Josh Allen

So we are in agreement that you don't start him unless he is at home?
His home and away splits are pretty incredible this year.  At home he has a 125 rating, 18 TDs, 2 INTs.  Away he has a 79 rating, 9 TDs, 9 INTs.  But that may have more to do with a small sample size that includes @Chi, @Den, and @Sea.  Last year in away games he had a 110 rating, 18 TDs, 2 INTs.

I have Goff and Ryan.  Gotta lean Goff vs those grocery baggers in Philly's d-backfield.
It's a juicy match up and inherently i just believe that goff is a good qb that had a down game.  I am counting on this sort of being redemption

At home vs Philly.  I'm thinking they come out guns blazing to right the ship/build confidence going towards the playoffs.  I'll be shocked if he doesn't have 2 TDs, expect 3-4.  

At home vs Philly.  I'm thinking they come out guns blazing to right the ship/build confidence going towards the playoffs.  I'll be shocked if he doesn't have 2 TDs, expect 3-4.  
I'm expecting one of his three best games of the year tonight. I think the whole team will be on. 

It's perfect combo in that they are playing "the champs" so will be up for the game, but Philly obviously average at best team right now. 

I'm expecting one of his three best games of the year tonight. I think the whole team will be on. 

It's perfect combo in that they are playing "the champs" so will be up for the game, but Philly obviously average at best team right now. 
Further, Foles was the one who played the SB game and won MVP.  Prime time game.  Get right game.  At home.  Weather good.  Good luck to all.

This clown is awful. So soft it isn't funny. Even the least bit of pressure and he folds like a cheap suit. Any team facing the rams in the playoffs will be licking their chops 

Okay Goff owners...

Assume you made it through to the next round of your fantasy playoffs. Do you play Goff week 16 vs Arizona? They have historically been pretty tough against the pass.

Thinking of picking up Josh Allen vs NE 

Okay Goff owners...

Assume you made it through to the next round of your fantasy playoffs. Do you play Goff week 16 vs Arizona? They have historically been pretty tough against the pass.

Thinking of picking up Josh Allen vs NE 
It's him or Dak, so I'm rolling with Goff. I'm expecting Rams to do with good teams do vs bad teams though, and roll them hard. Rams don't tend to play down to their competition. They just have trouble with good teams. And I guess Philly is still good?

OOOFFFF. As an Eagles fan, was loving last night. As a guy who invested very heavily n Jared Goff, and just posted my worst game of the year in a playoff semi-final, I was very alarmed. He looked terrible last. Eagles were playing very well, and no way he was putting up the monster stat line I expected pre-game the way that D was flying, but he was just off. Missed multiple throws that WERE there, including at least one TD. Just didn't seem to be the same guy we were watching 5 or 6 weeks ago

He's been awful 3 straight weeks, 2 of which were against sh@@@@ defenses. I wouldn't start him over ANYONE at this point. I have winston and Russell Wilson in 2 qb league over him. Its 2 late in my other bigger money league where he cost me my playoff game. He sucks plain & simple. 

It's him or Dak, so I'm rolling with Goff. I'm expecting Rams to do with good teams do vs bad teams though, and roll them hard. Rams don't tend to play down to their competition. They just have trouble with good teams. And I guess Philly is still good?
FBG's weekly projections have Goff QB19 week 16. .. Dak QB2. 

Missed multiple throws that WERE there, including at least one TD. Just didn't seem to be the same guy we were watching 5 or 6 weeks ago
Yeah he looked pretty bad. I was wondering what was going on. Just looks way off on some easy throws. Had at least 1 TD where he completely missed

He's been awful 3 straight weeks, 2 of which were against sh@@@@ defenses. I wouldn't start him over ANYONE at this point. I have winston and Russell Wilson in 2 qb league over him. Its 2 late in my other bigger money league where he cost me my playoff game. He sucks plain & simple. 
I'm having a hard time penciling him in based on the last 3 weeks. 

I could pick up Allen @ NE (FBG QB8), Cousins  @ DET (QB14), Winston @ DAL (QB16). 

Had to you told me 16 weeks ago my fantasy championship would be depending on Josh Allen I'd have told you you're nuts. But that's where I'm at. BTW, my opponent has Mahomes... I'm going to have to swing for the fences

Last edited by a moderator:
He's regressed.  He should have had 350+ and 3+ TD's.  Instead he has multiple INT's. 

The bears defense is great.  I understand a let down vs them.  4 INT's seems excessive, but bad games happen.  Following it up with a stinker vs the Eagles is concerning. 

In regards to @Dr. Dan  I don't want Goff in my lineup unless my other options are Redskins.QB or Kessler or someone in that tier.

He's regressed.  He should have had 350+ and 3+ TD's.  Instead he has multiple INT's. 

The bears defense is great.  I understand a let down vs them.  4 INT's seems excessive, but bad games happen.  Following it up with a stinker vs the Eagles is concerning. 

In regards to @Dr. Dan  I don't want Goff in my lineup unless my other options are Redskins.QB or Kessler or someone in that tier.
Thanks. I am definitely considering making a move. Anyone at this point. Might just trust FBG rankings

In one dynasty league I'm in, I was having conversations 3 weeks ago about offering a mid to late 1st rounder (1.8) for Goff in the offseason (Pass TD 6 points and no negatives for turnovers). I may reconsider that offer. I had offered a 2nd and gallup at the trade deadline

Thanks. I am definitely considering making a move. Anyone at this point. Might just trust FBG rankings

In one dynasty league I'm in, I was having conversations 3 weeks ago about offering a mid to late 1st rounder (1.8) for Goff in the offseason (Pass TD 6 points and no negatives for turnovers). I may reconsider that offer. I had offered a 2nd and gallup at the trade deadline

I've got him in dynasty and if someone offered that I'd jump on it.  I have Cam, and I don't love Cam long term either.  I'm guessing he rebounds and is a solid QB.  I was thinking he was on the verge of being an elite option and now he's come back to earth in my eyes.

But QB being so deep.  And the rules seem to allow for more passing/receiving freedom than ever. 

I suspect Baker will be playable next season, Allen will be interesting next season.  Old guys like Rivers/Rothlesberger can probably be had cheaper until your young talent materializes. 

I think you only pay for a QB that is clearly head and shoulders above the rest.  I.E. Rodgers a few years ago, Mahommes now. 

this guy basically eviscerates goff for the bears game.... basically says he's not being patient and is not taking what the defense gives him... a very interesting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n04gbQBMZt0
Nice analysis. On the first pick, I think he's a little off on the question of the read, because Goff is standing on the goal line, his tackle is in his lap and Gurley's not clear of the line yet when he has to make the throw. Even so it's probably the wrong read but it would have been nice to have a shallow cross available instead of all four patterns 20 yards downfield. But he definitely is calling out some real issues.

Last night I only got to see the fourth quarter. Obviously he'd had a lot of struggles before that, but Goff was pretty dang good on those last couple of drives and should have gotten more opportunity to tie the game up. The fumble on the punt, and Gurley not running out of bounds made his job a lot harder and he still had a plausible end zone opportunity on the last play.

In the next two games, both against bad teams, Goff's performance probably won't matter much, but I expect McVay will want to get him more comfortable for the playoffs. Arizona and San Francisco's D's are not terrible, but they're nothing like Chicago.

The wheels have clearly fallen off.  I watched him last night and he looked like a rookie at times and a dear in headlights other times.  

Last night I only got to see the fourth quarter. Obviously he'd had a lot of struggles before that, but Goff was pretty dang good on those last couple of drives and should have gotten more opportunity to tie the game up. The fumble on the punt, and Gurley not running out of bounds made his job a lot harder and he still had a plausible end zone opportunity on the last play.
The fourth quarter was his best one, mainly because the Eagles DL was gassed and not getting as much pressure on him as they did in the first three. When he was under pressure, he was pathetic.

Depending on my other options, but sure. 
My other option is Josh Allen, who has been QB4 weeks 12-15. (Goff has been QB 24 over that same time span) 

ETA: Also Nick Foles who is uninspiring with 1 TD in 3 starts 

Last edited by a moderator:
FBG's weekly projections have Goff QB19 week 16. .. Dak QB2. 
That's bonkers. I didn't watch the game though. I'm still going Goff though my situation is maybe unique. I have Goff/Gurley and would gladly just take all the TDs LA scores vs AZ. I also have Amari and while the Dak-Coop stack has worked out awesome two weeks, I'd have to double dip into a dud.

That's bonkers. I didn't watch the game though. I'm still going Goff though my situation is maybe unique. I have Goff/Gurley and would gladly just take all the TDs LA scores vs AZ. I also have Amari and while the Dak-Coop stack has worked out awesome two weeks, I'd have to double dip into a dud.
It might not be updated... I think they go off season long predictions and then adjust when the weekly projections come in. Good example is Foles is listed week 16 super low, but we know he's starting. My FBG has been pretty good but not great this year. I give it a B+. Still having syncing issues but at least it's better than it has been (last year it broke at week 5). 

I am back and forth on my decision to pencil Allen in over him, but it's tough when you look at how good Allen has been since he came back from injury. As Johnny said above, it's hard to believe this guy has completely crapped the bed after being a hero a month ago. Goff has a bye to play for at least.

In all fairness to Goff, he threw for his 6th most yards this season last week. Just nothing was for a TD. Chicago is a great defense, and Philly seemed to have his number. Arizona is 8th worst in points allowed per game. The only problem is they are 3rd worst in rushing D and 28th in passing D. I have to wonder if this is just because teams don't pass on them because they have big leads, or if they just have a real good passing defense. This would bode well for Gurley, however Gurley is a little banged up so mabye they just go through the air. 

On the bright side, AZ is tied for 2nd last in INTs.  So maybe Goff doesn't throw any week 16... 

It might not be updated... I think they go off season long predictions and then adjust when the weekly projections come in. Good example is Foles is listed week 16 super low, but we know he's starting. My FBG has been pretty good but not great this year. I give it a B+. Still having syncing issues but at least it's better than it has been (last year it broke at week 5). 

I am back and forth on my decision to pencil Allen in over him, but it's tough when you look at how good Allen has been since he came back from injury. As Johnny said above, it's hard to believe this guy has completely crapped the bed after being a hero a month ago. Goff has a bye to play for at least.

In all fairness to Goff, he threw for his 6th most yards this season last week. Just nothing was for a TD. Chicago is a great defense, and Philly seemed to have his number. Arizona is 8th worst in points allowed per game. The only problem is they are 3rd worst in rushing D and 28th in passing D. I have to wonder if this is just because teams don't pass on them because they have big leads, or if they just have a real gohod passing defense. This would bode well for Gurley, however Gurley is a little banged up so mabye they just go through the air. 

On the bright side, AZ is tied for 2nd last in INTs.  So maybe Goff doesn't throw any week 16... 
Yeah, I'm on the side of not overreacting to a couple bad weeks. That's actually when it can help you to not have the recency bias of having just watched a subpar prime time game. I think if he has a ho-hum 250-2 game it means Gurley is 150+ total and 2-3. I'll take that consistency. I'm expecting an outcome similar to the Chargers/Falcons games with Rams putting up 40+. If I can basically ensure I'm getting 5-6 TDs between my QB & RB I'm doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread