What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Allen, BUF (4 Viewers)

I got a guy in my league offering me Josh Allen for Mattison whose my 5th back. I have Hurts as my QB 1
Josh seems to be struggling…make the deal?

Next Gen Stats
Josh Allen averaged his quickest time to throw (2.27 seconds) in a game in his career. As a result, Allen faced a career-low 13.0% pressure rate.

Allen has recorded the 4th-highest success rate (57.8%) on quick passes this season.

#TBvsBUF | #BillsMafia

Josh Allen currently leads the NFL in attempts (33), completions (18), yards (282), touchdowns (5), and expected points added (+17.6) on pass plays when scrambling to his right this season.

🔹 Allen (Tonight): 2/3, 39 yards, TD (+3.7 EPA)

Powered by @awscloud

Josh Allen (13-yd scramble TD)

Allen has scrambled for 21 touchdowns since entering the NFL in 2018, nine more than the next closest player.

WATCH LIVE: amazon.com/TNFPrimeVision

Nick Wright annoys me a lot of the time... But when he said Josh was "more daunte culpepper than brett favre" i laughed at first... but then kinda agreed.

I watched the game & feel that each of the turnovers were more about a lack of execution & easily correctable. Default scoring @nfl.com Allen provided owners with something over 14pts. Take away the unforced errors & he scores 20+pts on a bad night. Back the other way, they weren't in the right play frequently enough & Ken Dorsey was the one blamed. To fire him immediately afterwards seems a precipitous move. Knowing his response, should owners consider it irrelevant that McDermott was asked whether the move was his decision? .... The organization has known for some time that they need to improve their short game, balance.

His mistakes have been GLARING

But he has also been very very unlucky.

From PFF

Turnover worthy play percentage in 2023-Justin Herbert 3.3%-
Patrick Mahomes 3.3%-
Jalen Hurts 3.2%-
Lamar Jackson 3.0%-
Tua Tagovailoa 2.6%-
CJ Stroud 2.4%-
Josh Allen 2.4%-
Joe Burrow 2.2%
Allen has been the least lucky QB I've seen in a long time. Seemingly every tipped ball or bad bounce, or whatever has gone against the Bills this season.

From PFF

Patrick Mahomes 3.3%-
Jalen Hurts 3.2%-
Lamar Jackson 3.0%-
Tua Tagovailoa 2.6%-
CJ Stroud 2.4%-
Josh Allen 2.4%-
Joe Burrow 2.2%
Allen has been the least lucky QB I've seen in a long time. Seemingly every tipped ball or bad bounce, or whatever has gone against the Bills this season.
I don’t watch every game, but it seems like he has forced a lot of deep throws….

From PFF

Patrick Mahomes 3.3%-
Jalen Hurts 3.2%-
Lamar Jackson 3.0%-
Tua Tagovailoa 2.6%-
CJ Stroud 2.4%-
Josh Allen 2.4%-
Joe Burrow 2.2%
I don’t watch every game, but it seems like he has forced a lot of deep throws….
He's had some bad decisions, but unlike most QBs, he's had no luck whatsoever. Every bad decision has cost them, and that's not what usually happens. Of Allen's 11 INT's, I'd say about 5 have been his fault (including the one before halftime against Denver) but he's had several that should have been catches that ended up being INT's and no dropped INTs, which typically happens almost half the time a ball hits a defender's hands.

There are some examples of QBs who have had incredible luck this year (Stroud, Cousins pre-injury) and nobody more so than Baker Mayfield, and conversely, I'd say besides Allen, guys like Stafford and believe it or not Jordan Love, have had really bad luck.

Not trying to hijack the thread, its Allen, but Kincaid is a teammate, but what cost would you be willing to pay for Kincaid in a dynasty league? I have a ton of RBs(Breece, Izzy, Saquon, Jav Williams, J Cook, Herbert, Mitchell, Allgeier) and want Kincaid for future. I offered a guy Saquon and Njoku, he rejected. He needs/wants Saquon tho.
What would you all want to trade away Kincaid?

He wont ever counter, so I am just guessing at this point. I have all my rookie/FA picks next year, and extra 3rd and 7th.
I got Olave, Nacua and Flowers as my WRs I dont want to trade. Ridley, Doubs, Douglas, could be moved.
Love and Levis qb depth I have.

Benching Josh for Stroud this week. Probably the only time I'll bench him the rest of the year. That Jets D is tough and he did poorly against them earlier in the year, plus Stroud has a cushy matchup against AZ

So I went back and watched every Josh Allen throw this season, and drew a conclusion on how he played, vs his stats, for each game since week 1.

Week 1 Jets-Allen's worst game of the season. His numbers are an accurate representation of how he played that week. Nobody other than Diggs ever got open.

Week 2 Raiders-Allen played as well as his numbers say, and his supporting cast pulled their weight, especially Gabe Davis.

Week 3 Commanders-Allen played better than his numbers. Diggs played great, but Davis and Knox had some awful drops.

Week 4 Dolphins-Allen played as well as his numbers say. Entire offense was in sync and playing well.

Week 5 Jaguars-Despite much of it being in comeback mode, I'd say Allen was as good as his numbers. Bad games for Cook and the TEs. Seemed like there were communication issues, especially with Knox.

Week 6 Giants-Allen was better than his numbers here, and his INT was not his fault at all. Diggs was the only guy getting open at all. More miscommunication issues with Knox.

Week 7 Patriots-Pretty much what his numbers suggest. Patriots D did a very good job covering Diggs and Davis. Allen probably forced too many throws to Diggs, as the middle with Kincaid/Knox/Shakir was wide open all day.

Week 8 Bucs-Allen played well, and this was mostly a great game by the supporting cast. Shakir especially was open all game. INT was on Kincaid.

Week 9 Bengals-Allen played WAY better than his stats show. They just never really had the ball. Probably should have targeted Diggs more, as D had zero answers for him.

Week 10 Broncos-Allen played better (not good, but not awful) than his numbers show. A horrific game from his supporting cast, nobody got open consistently. My biggest critique of Allen upon rewatch of this game, is he should have run more often, which was also the case I think in the Jets and Patriots games as well. Definitely seems to be overthinking whether to take off at times, and none more evident than this game.

My overall takeaway is, Allen isn't playing any worse as a passer than he has in other seasons, he's getting a little less help from his supporting cast and they've scaled back his rushing a lot, which is to the offense's detriment, I think. I think its very possible an OC switch fixes what is really a pretty small problem, which to me is Allen overthinking, specifically about when to run and when to throw. I think other than the Jets/Broncos games he's been good to elite all season. I'd like to see Khalil Shakir much more prominently involved, possibly at Gabe Davis expense. The offense seems to run better in 3-wide than the 2-TE stuff, especially as Knox wasn't playing all that well even before he got hurt. Its possible less shotgun and more PA/running would help, but this should still 100% be a pass 1st team, Allen is BY FAR their best player, and lessoning his impact on the game is only gonna hurt the offense.

I think its very possible an OC switch fixes what is really a pretty small problem, which to me is Allen overthinking... The offense seems to run better in 3-wide than the 2-TE stuff, especially as Knox wasn't playing all that well even before he got hurt. Its possible less shotgun and more PA/running would help, but this should still 100% be a pass 1st team, Allen is BY FAR their best player...

I've read that Joe Brady was the passing game coordinator @LSU, oversaw Donk going from 16 TD passes to 60. Though still in his early 30s, hired by Carolina to be their OC. Again, I don't know but read that he was fired because they didn't run the ball enough. :) The url below is a breakdown of a handful of plays in the Denver game by Kurt Warner. To me the one that stands out is the INT just before the half. This play appears at about 8:50 into the video. To the top of the screen is a 3-WR bunch & the outer most WR is the one targeted. Note the 9yd cushion the DB is affording this WR. With the snap of the ball, he's immediately into his (DB) backpedal.

For me, what's lacking are the pre/post snap adjustments. Running routes into the teeth of the coverage isn't winning football. Eyeing only the DB you'll notice that he doesn't take one false step. Watch Allen, it's hard to establish that he considers anything else & beyond belief, late with the throw. I agree with everything Warner says but this is the wrong thing that they're in & easily discernible on the pre snap... often, a check with me as they say, if they run what they're showing, break your route off at about the 30yd line. Point being, breakdowns that are easily correctable, the effective timeframe to do so, less than an hour.

My overall takeaway is, Allen isn't playing any worse as a passer than he has in other seasons, he's getting a little less help from his supporting cast and they've scaled back his rushing a lot, which is to the offense's detriment, I think.
I'm sure there are a myriad of factors going on behind Allen's recent struggles, and his injury is probably one of them. Another factor IMO that may be affecting the offense's production/efficiency most of the season is the bolded. Heading into the season, McDermott indicated they they wanted Allen to run less to keep him healthier, and they have pretty much stuck to their word on it. The problem though seems to be that the offense has become more one-dimensional, especially given the focus on the passing game where the defense can pin its ears back a bit more knowing that Allen probably won't run as much but also is not big on checking down either. Just theorizing, but it might have some merit.

This stat is absolutely gross. 17 times in his career Allen has tied or given the Bills the lead in the final two minutes.

They have lost 9 of those games.

Three times this season he gave them the lead under two minutes and lost. Once he tied the game and lost in OT.

Just ridiculous results that showcase a complete breakdown in end of game defence and coaching.

This stat is absolutely gross. 17 times in his career Allen has tied or given the Bills the lead in the final two minutes.

Three times this season he gave them the lead under two minutes and lost. Once he tied the game and lost in OT.

Just ridiculous results that showcase a complete breakdown in end of game defence and coaching.
I will maintain that if you switch Allen with ANY QB in the NFL, the Bills are less successful than they have been. He's 80s Elway with the amount of carrying the team on his back.

I would argue tooth and nail, that he's the best player in the NFL and has been for a couple years now. If he had Andy Reid or Sean McVay or some other coach who actually puts his QB in good situations, we'd already be calling him a HOFer.

He gets a lot of flak for his turnovers and hero ball mentality, but not enough for him carrying his team when needed most. It's the defense that doesn't shoulder enough of the blame for the team's late game failures.

0-6 in overtime games. That's an unpleasant stat.
Still not his fault. Without Josh Allen the Bills would probably have 2 or 3 wins. He's put them in a position to win more than they have. Last week they had a 3 point lead in regulation and then Philadelphia kicks a 59 yarder to tie it. If Bills D stops them they win. Then in OT he leads them to a go ahead FG which could have been a game winning TD if Gabe Davis ran the right route, and then the Bills D gives up a TD to Philadelphia to lose. Josh Allen had them in position to win that game twice and the rest of the team let him down.

Still not his fault. Without Josh Allen the Bills would probably have 2 or 3 wins. He's put them in a position to win more than they have. Last week they had a 3 point lead in regulation and then Philadelphia kicks a 59 yarder to tie it. If Bills D stops them they win. Then in OT he leads them to a go ahead FG which could have been a game winning TD if Gabe Davis ran the right route, and then the Bills D gives up a TD to Philadelphia to lose. Josh Allen had them in position to win that game twice and the rest of the team let him down.

What? "If Gabe Davis ran the right route"? It was an option route. The problem was Josh Allen threw the ball too soon, if he waits and identifies which way Davis breaks it's a TD. Instead, he rushed the throw when he didn't need to, he could have held it another split second, but he got antsy in the pocket.

To be clear, Allen is a stud. I am not making an argument he's not a franchise QB.

To me, the discussion is whether he is a special, clutch, wins the game kind of guy. Or if he's Matthew Stafford/Kirk Cousins with wheels.

Elway didn't stop making dumb throws his whole career. But he had the 'special' to pull it off late in the game.

Guys like Allen and others (Oh heeeey Justin Herbert) are not so good they are beyond questioning.

To be clear, Allen is a stud. I am not making an argument he's not a franchise QB.

To me, the discussion is whether he is a special, clutch, wins the game kind of guy. Or if he's Matthew Stafford/Kirk Cousins with wheels.

Elway didn't stop making dumb throws his whole career. But he had the 'special' to pull it off late in the game.

Guys like Allen and others (Oh heeeey Justin Herbert) are not so good they are beyond questioning.
Good point, but for the record as a Vikings fan I'd take him any day to lead my real football team.

He gets a lot of flak for his turnovers and hero ball mentality, but not enough for him carrying his team when needed most. It's the defense that doesn't shoulder enough of the blame for the team's late game failures.
I've always wondered what percentage of those turnovers were also basically "arm punts", where he's going deep on 3rd down and gets intercepted within 15 yards of the goal line. It feels like a good amount of them are. They don't differentiate on the stat sheet, but realistically from a real game perspective, they really don't hurt the team like an early down pick/pick on your half of the field/pick six. I would agree that at least part of his turnovers are due to the spot the team puts him in and what they ask him to do. And really... outside of fantasy, I don't view the aforementioned interceptions that negatively. I'd rather a QB who goes for the win and pushes the ball down field and gets some interceptions, than a dink and dunker who doesn't throw any but also never gets you in a spot to win the games.

Allen's problems are from McDermott who simply can't coach a football team. Once Daboll left it was straight to the crapper for the Bills. I dont think McDermott knows a single thing , his coaches seem incompetent I think the entire coaching staff is gone at the end of the season - week 18 to be more precise.
Dan Quinn or one of these guys will be the next HC.

Next Gen Stats
Josh Allen was 0.2 yards from the sideline when he released the ball on his 22-yard pass to Latavius Murray, the closest distance to the sideline of any completion since 2018.

Completions within 1 yard of sideline:
🔹 Josh Allen: 5
🔹 Rest of NFL: 1

#BUFvsKC | #BillsMafia

Josh Allen finds the end zone for the 5th time on a QB designed run this season, tied for the most in the NFL.

Allen has been used on multiple QB designed runs in all three games under OC Joe Brady after doing so just twice in Weeks 1-10.

#BUFvsKC | #BillsMafia

Some incompletions are more egregious than others. Like the one here, Gabe is running wide open for an easy TD. The Bills had been setting up this play the entire game so you know they had been practicing it during the week. Yet Allen still misses it, throwing to Kincaid instead who was not open.

Some incompletions are more egregious than others. Like the one here, Gabe is running wide open for an easy TD. The Bills had been setting up this play the entire game so you know they had been practicing it during the week. Yet Allen still misses it, throwing to Kincaid instead who was not open.
That was terrible on Josh's part. He didn't even glance at Davis. Easy TD if he does

Next Gen Stats
Josh Allen & Dalton Kincaid (29-yd TD)

🔹 Air Yards: 24
🔹 Completion Probability: 56.5%

Allen (Today): 6/6, 85 yards & 2 TD targeting slot/tight (0/2 wide); 6th career deep TD in the postseason (fewer than only Tom Brady's 9 in the NGS era).

#PITvsBUF | #BillsMafia

Josh Allen (52-yd TD run) 📽️

🔹 Top Speed: 19.33 mph
🔹 Rush Yards Over Expected: +42
🔹 TD Probability: 0.2%

Allen reached his fastest speed as a ball carrier of the season, gained the most RYOE by a QB, and gained the most yards on a QB scramble of 2023.