What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Allen, BUF (1 Viewer)

Josh Allen completed 18-of-27 passed for 197 yards and a touchdown in the Bills' 31-23, Week 11 win over the Browns.​

Allen rushed three times for seven yards but had a 19-yard scramble called back by a penalty. The Bills were horrific at closing out drives in this game which resulted in them kicking six field goals. Buffalo also opened the game with a trio of three-and-outs that combined for 12 yards. Allen sailed three short passes on these drives before getting dialed in later in the game. It was a sleepy performance against an inferior opponent from the Bills, but a few drives that end in six points instead of three would have changed the narrative. Despite the weak showing, Allen remains the QB1 overall for his Week 12 matchup with the Lions. Allen gets to shred a horrid Detroit defense to celebrate Thanksgiving.
Nov 20, 2022, 4:39 PM ET

What a passive outing by Allen. 13 points? Really?
He's clearly playing hurt. The Bills didn't really start clicking on offense until they took the ball out of his hands and started running.
+1. Did you see how Allen got all mad when that defender basically grazed his elbow out of bounds? That elbow hurts more than he's letting on.
Yup. And his effort level looks way higher than normal on throws. He typically bombs the ball and it looks like zero effort, but he looks like he’s straining on even moderately long throws. He freaking fell down on the TD pass to Diggs because he threw it so hard and fell off balance.

I hope that elbow gets a little bit better each week, or this team will be lucky to win a playoff game. As others have stated, he is definitely off - way off.

I think he’s off mentally more than physically. He’s afraid of making mistakes. Playing not to lose/turn the ball over. That will never fly against Mahomes. He’s got a few weeks to get it back. All of a sudden they are terrible in the red zone. They need to fix that quickly.

I think it is mental also. His mechanics look off and he is sailing the ball high, something he did in the past when he was flustered or games when he has faced heavy pressure.

Josh Allen completed 24-of-42 passes for 253 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Bills' 28-25, Week 12 win over the Lions, adding 10 carries for 78 additional yards and a touchdown.​

In what has become a recent theme, the Bills' offense was flat but Allen still got home in fantasy. He also kept up his recent unfortunate trend of red zone turnovers, today throwing an interception on 1st-and-goal. Despite the miscues and tedium, Allen was at his best when it mattered most, driving the Bills to both a touchdown and field goal in the final eight minutes. The Bills are fighting through it but still sitting at 8-3 heading into a daunting Week 13 road date with the Patriots. That game is next Thursday, meaning the Bills are not embarking on a mini bye.
Nov 24, 2022, 4:04 PM ET

The Jets have the best defense in the east. The Patriots have the best run game. The Dolphins have the best wide receivers. The Bills have Josh.

Seems like his elbow doesn’t seem to be much of an issue any more, which is bad news for the rest of the AFC.

He won’t win MVP but he probably should.

Injured elbow, worse offensive coaching and worse weapons beyond the #1 and he will still put up total yard and TD stats similar to others against one of the leagues hardest schedules.

Bills opponents are collectively +5 wins through the year despite being -8 against Buffalo.

Since week 8 the Bills ranks SECOND in blown pass block rate in the league. Wow
I'm not surprised honestly. Our pass protection is worse than it looks, because Allen's mobility erases some of their mistakes. But if you just sit there and watch the line, you'll notice very quickly that Allen doesn't get a clean pocket all that often. (In fairness, Allen also holds onto the ball longer than most QBs but I'm assuming they adjust for that).

Now that the Bills are good, I've found myself not caring that much about end-of-year player honors. We all know the pro bowl is a bit of a sham, for example, and there are always multiple players around the league who can make a credible case for MVP in any given year. If Allen wins MVP, that's nice. If he never wins MVP, that's okay too. I just want this team to win a super bowl. That's pretty much the only thing I care about at this point. It's not like Allen somehow needs an MVP to validate that he's good or anything like that.

Josh Allen (elbow) is practicing in full for Week 16 against the Bears.​

Allen got a limited session in on Tuesday, but there was never any concern the issue was going to prevent him from playing this week. He told reporters that the limited work was simply to keep his number of practice throws in check. Allen will suit up as a top-three fantasy quarterback for his Week 16 matchup with the Bears.
SOURCE: Alaina Getzenberg
Dec 21, 2022, 3:55 PM ET

Josh Allen completed 23-of-39 passes for 352 yards, three touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Bills' 34-31, Wild Card Round win over the Dolphins.​

Allen added four carries for 20 yards on the ground. It wasn't a perfect game from the superstar quarterback, but it's hard to find him at fault for either of the interceptions. The first came on a deep throw to John Brown. The veteran receiver appeared to ease up on his route, allowing Xavien Howard to track it for an easy interception. Cole Beasley was hit while attempting to catch a pass and the ball deflected into Jevon Holland's hands for Allen's second pick. He did, however, concede a fumble into his own end zone for a Miami touchdown. Miami had no business bringing this game down to the wire, but Buffalo's offense carried its weight save for the fumble-six. Allen and company will look to play a cleaner game in the Divisional Round next week.
Jan 15, 2023, 5:07 PM ET

Josh Allen completed 25-of-42 attempts for 265 yards and one interception, adding 26 yards and a touchdown on eight carries in the Bills' 27-10, Divisional Round loss to the Bengals.​

The Bills went three and out on their first two drives, which made life very difficult with Joe Burrow leading back-to-back touchdown drives on the Bengals' first two drives. Allen led the Bill to a TD on his third drive, rushing in a one-yard score. It was the Bills' only TD of the day. Allen heads into 2023 with the Bills fully committed to him as the engine of their offense. However, he could use some additional playmaking help. Stefon Diggs and Gabe Davis combined for just 67 yards. While Diggs has been a dynamic playmaker for much of the season, the Bills have struggled at times to find a reliable secondary option, with Davis being extremely hit or miss. Allen will remain an elite fantasy quarterback and could profile as the clear QB1 if the Bills add receiving firepower in the offseason.
Jan 22, 2023, 6:15 PM ET

Josh Allen told reporters that it wasn't until "two weeks ago" that he felt like he was able to throw with his normal mechanics due to his midseason elbow injury.​

Allen told reporters that he and the team's medical staff don't expect him to have surgery on the elbow. Allen did not miss a game with the injury, but went from 19 touchdown passes in seven games before the injury to just 13 in eight games during and after suffering it. He threw for six touchdowns against the Patriots and Dolphins before his rough effort against the Bengals on Sunday. There's apparently no long-term concerns here for Allen.
SOURCE: Alaina Gatzenberg on Twitter
Jan 23, 2023, 2:35 PM ET

Bills coach Sean McDermott wants Josh Allen to begin taking fewer hits in 2023.​

"I don't think that's a healthy way to play quarterback in this league and it's undefeated that things are going to happen when you play that style," McDermott said. "We have to get that adjusted and it's never going to go completely away, but it has to get where it's workable." That's about as direct as a coaching quote can get. McDermott referenced league data that showed Allen getting hit on 66 percent of his down-field rushes in 2022. Allen's wild style left him with an elbow injury that compromised his season. McDermott admitted the obvious that Allen's rushing is one of the things that makes him special, but he is probably correct that the soon-to-be 27-year-old is at a stage where he might need to make an adjustment. We'll believe it when we see it, of course. Allen's reckless abandon rushing is one of the main reasons he's an annual clear-cut top-two QB in fantasy.
SOURCE: Judy Battista on Twitter
Mar 26, 2023, 9:05 AM ET

Allen's wild style left him with an elbow injury that compromised his season.​

SOURCE: Judy Battista on Twitter
Mar 26, 2023, 9:05 AM ET

Huh? Allen was hit in the pocket when he got hurt. It was like a 3 step drop where the defender came off the edge unblocked and got to him immediately. This type of lazy journalism is stupid.

Yes, Allen needs to stop trying to truck LBers and hurdle safeties and start sliding or running out of bounds. But the idea that he should just stop running and stay in the pocket is as reckless in the other direction because it makes things so much easier for defenses.

Josh Allen hinted he could run less often in 2023 and beyond.​

ESPN's Alaina Getzenberg said Allen "realizes a time will come when he will have to transition from being a football player first and QB second to a QB first and football player second." Allen added: "I'm getting older." Allen's comments are part of a steady drumbeat of Bills officials and coaches implying Allen should do more to protect himself, avoiding the mammoth shots he takes when fleeing the pocket. "I don't think that's a healthy way to play quarterback in this league and it's undefeated that things are going to happen when you play that style," Bills head coach Sean McDermott said in March. Entering his age-27 season, Allen will likely keep running when he has to, though the team could pull back on designed rushes for their all-world quarterback. Allen in 2022 had 67 designed rushes, fifth most among QBs.
SOURCE: Alaina Getzenberg on Twitter
Apr 18, 2023 at 12:37 PM ET

Josh Allen gets Madden cover.

First time a Bills player has been on the cover. Also first time fans have been on the cover with the player.

I’m biased, but it’s a pretty cool looking cover.
May need to trade my Allen shares before the curse :kicksrock:
I was wondering if this curse is still a thing with Madden
Probably not, but knowing my luck as an Allen owner. At least he's no Peyton Hillis.

Users who are viewing this thread