What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Josh Allen, BUF (2 Viewers)

Has there been any indication that Allen is going to run less? I know there was talk about reducing his running over the offseason. Is there anything new on this front?

Has there been any indication that Allen is going to run less? I know there was talk about reducing his running over the offseason. Is there anything new on this front?
I don’t think we’ll know until week 1. Anything that comes out by team brass or beat reporters has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I don’t think we’ll know until week 1
Week 1 won't tell us anything. That's too small of a sample size.

That said, I don't see him running much less than last year. He didn't have a ton of designed runs last year. I think that will stay the same, where they'll use it on key 3rd downs, goal-to-go, etc. When it comes to making plays on broken down pass plays, he's going to run if he can.

Dude's going to run - it's who he is. I don't see him running much less... until he can't.

I don’t think we’ll know until week 1
Week 1 won't tell us anything. That's too small of a sample size.

That said, I don't see him running much less than last year. He didn't have a ton of designed runs last year. I think that will stay the same, where they'll use it on key 3rd downs, goal-to-go, etc. When it comes to making plays on broken down pass plays, he's going to run if he can.

Dude's going to run - it's who he is. I don't see him running much less... until he can't.
Yes, I didn’t literally mean one week - just until the games happen.

I forgot until I recently reviewed last year's stats just how dominant JA was prior to hurting his elbow midway last season. I had him on a couple teams and he was a shell of his dominant self from that point on.

It was a UCL strain, correct? Can anyone give me a Cliff's Notes on how the injury was treated and progressed this offseason? Allen isn't being talked about much, which makes me think he might actually be a value pick relative to the other elites this year, assuming he's 100% healthy.

Josh Allen completed 29-of-41 passes for 236 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions in the Bills’ 22-16, Week 1 overtime loss to the Jets, adding 36 yards on six carries and losing a fumble.

Allen and the Bills looked competent in the first half but managed just a field goal throughout the second half and overtime. Their possessions after the break resulted in two interceptions, a fumble, a punt, a field goal and a three-and-out. Allen also took five sacks on the night. While the Bills did not look sharp in this one, fans and fantasy managers will take solace in the fact that the Jets garner one of the top defenses in the league this year, meaning better days should be ahead. That said, that does not mask the let down in Week 1. Allen and the Bills now turn their attention to the Raiders at home in Week 2.

Hes been a turnover machine. I think people gonna start moving him down the ranks of the top QBs in the NFL. Part of the job is to avoid turnovers. Last night vs a Zach Wilson led offense up 13-3 at halftime was egregious.

Josh is tough as nails but the hits this guy takes has to catch up with him at some point. There were a couple of shots he took last night that probably would’ve been a cart ride for most QBs.

He is a truck but he really needs to stop initiating the contact...not in his DNA but he needs to slide more...the body can only take so much.

Allen is not going to be the guy to get the Bills to trophy land IMO..
I think he still can, but not sure if he will. He has time but the window for this team seems to be closing. Lack of surrounding offensive talent and the AFC East is getting more competitive. Would of loved to see the Bills have a legit #2 WR during the Diggs years. They needed to go all in the past 3 years on the offensive side of the ball and get more weapons for him. Kincaid and Cook look decent, but seems too little too late. A guy like Hopkins should've been a priority add this year IMO.

Just traded Geno Smith, Mike Evans, & Rachaad White to get this guy. I was desperate for a top tier QB and those guys were on my bench. Really excited about Allen on my team even after the terrible game. 8 points from Geno last week is the reason I lost. I don't see that ever happening with Josh

Just traded Geno Smith, Mike Evans, & Rachaad White to get this guy. I was desperate for a top tier QB and those guys were on my bench. Really excited about Allen on my team even after the terrible game. 8 points from Geno last week is the reason I lost. I don't see that ever happening with Josh
The old nickels for quarters trade. Nicely done. PT Barnum was right 🙂

I’m baffled as to what Allen shareholder is making this deal.

Geno was arguably worse. White was also trash.

Baffling.

Baffling.
idk, but I'm happy with it. Geno was a top 5 QB last year, Rachaad is a workhorse RB in TB, & Evans is a perennial 1,000 yard WR who's averaged 11 TD's over the past 3 years. This guy needs help at RB & WR. He lost Dobbins, & Cam Akers isn't looking good for him already. Michael Thomas was his WR2. Basically, he needs a lot of help.

Baffling.
idk, but I'm happy with it. Geno was a top 5 QB last year, Rachaad is a workhorse RB in TB, & Evans is a perennial 1,000 yard WR who's averaged 11 TD's over the past 3 years. This guy needs help at RB & WR. He lost Dobbins, & Cam Akers isn't looking good for him already. Michael Thomas was his WR2. Basically, he needs a lot of help.
I'll take "things suckers tell themselves when making a terrible trade" for $500, Alex!

it's the daily double! :pickle:

Was that your pitch to that owner, or did he come to you asking for the deal? Whatever the situation, it's one of the worst post week 1 panic trades I've ever seen. The only one of the 3 on that side who had a good game was Mike Evans.

Baffling.
He needed to trade a stud for depth, I get it. But he could have done a better job with it.

Selling Allen now would be a complete overreaction in my opinion.
It's important for Josh Allen owners to remember: He can disappoint the Buffalo Bills fans, and still be a top scoring fantasy QB.

He's still going to run the ball this year, it seems. He's going to put in the air. He's going to throw 40 times a game--and run the ball. It really doesn't matter to you as an owner if the Buffalo fans find out they have Kurt Cousins with wheels.

Baffling.
I'll take "things suckers tell themselves when making a terrible trade" for $500, Alex!

it's the daily double! :pickle:

Was that your pitch to that owner, or did he come to you asking for the deal? Whatever the situation, it's one of the worst post week 1 panic trades I've ever seen. The only one of the 3 on that side who had a good game was Mike Evans.
I didn't pitch it at all. I just proposed it and he accepted

He needed to trade a stud for depth, I get it. But he could have done a better job with it.
Significantly.

And now both Seattle starting tackles are hurt.

Geno’s 6 sack week 1 is gonna look like a walk in the park when he plays the Niners twice.

Yikes.
I find your disrespect for Geno shameful.

This guy survives being a Jets draft pick, winds up in Seattle, and wound up being much better that the $245 million dollar corny dude he replaced. An amazing comeback story. Why do you hate America?

Significantly.

And now both Seattle starting tackles are hurt.

Geno’s 6 sack week 1 is gonna look like a walk in the park when he plays the Niners twice.

Yikes.
I find your disrespect for Geno shameful.

This guy survives being a Jets draft pick, winds up in Seattle, and wound up being much better that the $245 million dollar corny dude he replaced. An amazing comeback story. Why do you hate America?
I joined the Taliban after reading this post. I hope you’re happy.

It's important for Josh Allen owners to remember: He can disappoint the Buffalo Bills fans, and still be a top scoring fantasy QB.

He's still going to run the ball this year, it seems. He's going to put in the air. He's going to throw 40 times a game--and run the ball. It really doesn't matter to you as an owner if the Buffalo fans find out they have Kurt Cousins with wheels.
I prefer thinking of him as a more gifted Ryan Fitzpatrick thank you very much.

I prefer thinking of him as a more gifted Ryan Fitzpatrick thank you very much.

He reminds me of Brett Favre. Really careless with the ball at times.

I noticed he was stumbling around on a few plays and he also hit his head on the ground a few times. Makes me wonder.

He has had lots and lots of dumb plays but I can’t think of a game where it was so many in a short time frame.

I noticed he was stumbling around on a few plays and he also hit his head on the ground a few times. Makes me wonder.

He has had lots and lots of dumb plays but I can’t think of a game where it was so many in a short time frame.
What gets me is the low % of those throws. The deep pick into triple coverage just had zero chance.

The 1st pick that was “like a punt” was weird. 3rd & long and that’s the best play you can come up with?

And the one where he tries to force it to Gabe Davis when there wasn’t a window to even force it through? Just none possibility of a completion.

He either wasn’t reading the defense, didn’t see the defender, or read it, saw it, and just didn’t care.

I can’t imagine what he saw there.

What gets me is the low % of those throws. The deep pick into triple coverage just had zero chance.

The 1st pick that was “like a punt” was weird. 3rd & long and that’s the best play you can come up with?

And the one where he tries to force it to Gabe Davis when there wasn’t a window to even force it through? Just none possibility of a completion.

He either wasn’t reading the defense, didn’t see the defender, or read it, saw it, and just didn’t care.

I can’t imagine what he saw there.
In a roundabout way, I think Rodgers getting hurt, actually hurt the Bills offense. I think they (not on purpose, just human nature) kinda started screwing around, assuming the game was already over. A lot of Allen's decisions felt like, "why not, we got this in the bag." When they needed the quick drive for the FG, Allen got them down there.

Zero concern about Allen. Could easily see him being QB1 overall this week. Honestly, kinda think Buffalo lays a beatdown this week, like a 42-14 kind of game.

Well I feel bad paying up for him when Kirk cousins basically matching production for 1/8th the price. Two games in but long season makes me feel this way from week to week lol. Cousins looks like steal of the draft with JJ, Addison, and hock

I get it. But you know the difference is what Josh does with his legs. Get none of that with Cousins. That’s why is ceiling is always QB8-10

Well I feel bad paying up for him when Kirk cousins basically matching production for 1/8th the price. Two games in but long season makes me feel this way from week to week lol. Cousins looks like steal of the draft with JJ, Addison, and hock

In my league last 3 years

Josh has finished 2nd, 1st, 1st

Kirk has finished 6th, 11th, 11th

Just last year Josh finished with 100!!!! More points.. that is why you paid for Josh over Kirk.

In all 3 years Josh basically scored 100 more points. That’s a big advantage

well, with cousins there is a lower floor than there is for Josh Allen. likely a lower ceiling too.
this year I did feel cousins provided really good value at his ADP because hes part of that magical formula that seems to work well for fantasy.
good offense
subpar defense that is good enough to keep them in games, but not good enough to dominate.
the combination means Cousins gets a lot of garbage time drives against teams playing soft zone or prevent Defenses. Cousins plays exceptionally well against that type of defense so this is the perfect storm for him to have a career year (potentially) even look at last night. against philly close to half his points came on the last 2 or 3 drives of the game. (estimate.... if I'm off please correct me)

Expected big bounce back game in which Josh was highly efficient this go around.

Hate picking apart such a strong performance, but as noted in today’s daily FBG news article, I’m a bit concerned that the coaching staff are indeed looking to limit his running - particularly in the red zone. Makes sense for his health/longevity, but not great for fantasy.

Expected big bounce back game in which Josh was highly efficient this go around.

Hate picking apart such a strong performance, but as noted in today’s daily FBG news article, I’m a bit concerned that the coaching staff are indeed looking to limit his running - particularly in the red zone. Makes sense for his health/longevity, but not great for fantasy.

Today it was certainly not needed. It will be needed on the road against the Commanders. Not convinced the Bills defense is amazing or anything. Week 1 he had his carries. This game was out of control and the backup RB's were doing the heavy lifting.

He would have had a rushing TD if he had chosen to truck that guy inside the 5 instead of hurdle him.

But he ended up with a passing TD later I think.

Josh Allen completed 20-of-32 passes for 218 yards, one touchdown and an interception, while also rushing three times for 46 yards and a touchdown in a 37-3 Week 3 win over the Commanders.

It was another solid decision-making game for Allen, who continuously took what the Washington defense gave him. The lone interception was on a third-and-20 with the Bills up by two scores. He heaved essentially an arm punt to Gabe Davis who lost a jump ball but also set Washington up with the ball inside their own 20. It’s clear that Buffalo wants to keep Allen from hurting himself and the team, even opting not to give him carries and crucial third and fourth and short situations in the second half. Allen still has the ability to put up solid rushing games even without designed runs, so the fantasy ceiling should still be high even if we continue to get a restrained version of Josh Allen.
- Rotoworld
This is the closest thing Allen will get to a layup game and it was interesting to see how he handled it. Still a few brain-melting decisions but he did ok, even reserved Josh Allen can put up numbers due to his running ability.

Users who are viewing this thread