What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Ryan, IND (2 Viewers)

I'm not sold at all. I'll gladly take Cutler or Schaub in rounds 8 or 9 and watch them put up comparable numbers while everyone else reachEs p to rounds 3 or 4 for Ryan.
I think if Schuab is putting up numbers similar to what people are expecting out of Ryan, it will have to mean things have gone very wrong for Houston this season.Schaub obviously has that kind of talent, but that isn't at all the gameplan down there any more.

Surprising experts mock draft from ProfootballWeekly.com. http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/08/21/mock-draft-analysis-qbs-rule-round-one The top 5 QB go in the top 10 picks and Matt Ryan doesn't get drafted until round 9. :unsure:
That's one of the worst "expert" mocks I've ever seen. Plus, how many "experts" do a 10 teamer? Matt Ryan is a near lock for 4000 yards and 30 tds, and a solid bet to approach 4500 yards and 35 td's. Considering that those types of quarterbaks have been getting drafted in the 40-60 range over the past couple of years, I see no reason why his ADP of 45th overall is THAT bad. Ryan was the QB8 last year, and very close to Romo at QB7. I don't see how a QB6 is outrageous. He does have more flaws that originally thought after his sensational rookie year, but he is still a very solid qb who's fantasy numbers will be elevated by the personnel around him.

Brady's first 4 years (top) compared to Ryan's first 4 (bottom):

Comp Att % yds TDs INT

264 413 63.9 2843 18 12

373 601 62.1 3764 28 14

317 527 60.2 3620 23 12

288 474 60.8 3692 28 14

Comp Att % yds TDs INT

265 434 61.1 3440 16 11

263 451 58.3 2916 22 14

357 571 62.5 3705 28 9

347 566 61.3 4177 29 12

Physically very similar as well. I'm buying.

One thing this team needs to do is scrap the FB/Turner formation. Yeah, you are running the ball. Everyone knows you are running the ball and the guy now has cement shoes. Get rid of that waste of time and formation and Ryan will benefit.

Brady's first 4 years (top) compared to Ryan's first 4 (bottom):Comp Att % yds TDs INT264 413 63.9 2843 18 12373 601 62.1 3764 28 14317 527 60.2 3620 23 12288 474 60.8 3692 28 14 Comp Att % yds TDs INT265 434 61.1 3440 16 11263 451 58.3 2916 22 14357 571 62.5 3705 28 9347 566 61.3 4177 29 12Physically very similar as well. I'm buying.
If you want to compare these two, knock youself out. But IMO the early 2000s and the early 2010s are night and day apart. The game and the way rules are enforced are so different the raw numbers don't mean a whole lot in trying to compare the two.

never trust a man with two first names. seriously though if he falls to me where I want to take a qb I am taking him, but I won't reach for him

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady's first 4 years (top) compared to Ryan's first 4 (bottom):Comp Att % yds TDs INT264 413 63.9 2843 18 12373 601 62.1 3764 28 14317 527 60.2 3620 23 12288 474 60.8 3692 28 14 Comp Att % yds TDs INT265 434 61.1 3440 16 11263 451 58.3 2916 22 14357 571 62.5 3705 28 9347 566 61.3 4177 29 12Physically very similar as well. I'm buying.
If you want to compare these two, knock youself out. But IMO the early 2000s and the early 2010s are night and day apart. The game and the way rules are enforced are so different the raw numbers don't mean a whole lot in trying to compare the two.
In Tom Brady's 4th year as a starter, he was 10th in my league scoring. Matt Ryan was 7th last year.

Matt Ryan completed 18-of-26 passes for 220 yards and a touchdown against the Dolphins in the third preseason game.

Coach Mike Smith admitted before kickoff that Atlanta would go with a vanilla game plan so as not to give too much away to the Week 1 opponent. Without benefit of Dirk Koetter's no-huddle offense, Ryan still produced a 107.9 passer rating while directing four scoring drives in 2.5 quarters. Through three preseason games, Ryan has completed 45-of-60 passes (75.0 percent) for 549 yards (9.2 YPA) and a 3:1 TD-to-INT ratio. There's been no more impressive QB in the NFL over the past three weeks.

Ive never been impressed with Ryan and until I see it in the regular season I'm not buying it. I've only seen one game this preseason and I wasn't impressed. Short passes, bad defenders, and nothing special.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I've consistently seen him unable to keep up with big time offenses and I can't figure out why everyone thinks this is the year. Tons of hype.

Matt Ryan completed 18-of-26 passes for 220 yards and a touchdown against the Dolphins in the third preseason game.Coach Mike Smith admitted before kickoff that Atlanta would go with a vanilla game plan so as not to give too much away to the Week 1 opponent. Without benefit of Dirk Koetter's no-huddle offense, Ryan still produced a 107.9 passer rating while directing four scoring drives in 2.5 quarters. Through three preseason games, Ryan has completed 45-of-60 passes (75.0 percent) for 549 yards (9.2 YPA) and a 3:1 TD-to-INT ratio. There's been no more impressive QB in the NFL over the past three weeks.
I intend on picking him as my QB in my keeper league (basically between him, Romo and Big Ben for who wasn't kept). And while it's just the pre-season, I think Ryan is the best option out of those 3 and I think he'll have a big year. Not as good as many are hyping him, but a 6-10 QB year, which is reasonable for me.

Matt Ryan completed 18-of-26 passes for 220 yards and a touchdown against the Dolphins in the third preseason game.Coach Mike Smith admitted before kickoff that Atlanta would go with a vanilla game plan so as not to give too much away to the Week 1 opponent. Without benefit of Dirk Koetter's no-huddle offense, Ryan still produced a 107.9 passer rating while directing four scoring drives in 2.5 quarters. Through three preseason games, Ryan has completed 45-of-60 passes (75.0 percent) for 549 yards (9.2 YPA) and a 3:1 TD-to-INT ratio. There's been no more impressive QB in the NFL over the past three weeks.
I intend on picking him as my QB in my keeper league (basically between him, Romo and Big Ben for who wasn't kept). And while it's just the pre-season, I think Ryan is the best option out of those 3 and I think he'll have a big year. Not as good as many are hyping him, but a 6-10 QB year, which is reasonable for me.
i picked him up in the 5th rd, but i took him a round or 2 sooner than i would have if i hadn't picked up julio jones in the second rd, wanted the double points when they hook up on td`s

If I skip on the 1st tier guys, I'll wait and take Romo, Rivers, Culter. His ADP is 5.05 on MFL, but I see someone overpaying for him in my drafts. I've seen him go as early as the 2nd in mocks.

Why wouldnt you?! He's 4 years younger than Romo and 3 years younger than Ben and has posted similar or better numbers than both the last couple years.

He could be borderline great player this season, but I still wouldn't touch him in the 4th round (where he seems to be going in the latest drafts).

According to MFL drafts over the last 2 days, his ADP is nearly in the 3rd round at 38.81 :eek:

Now, if for some reason he falls to the 5th round, I'll be targetting him, but after finally typing up my QB projections, I have Rivers only 3 points behind Ryan. Now I dont think Ryan will be there in the 5th in my leagues, so considering Rivers ADP is at the beginning of the 6th round, I think Im switching to him as the QB Im going for.

Re-watched the wild card game. Seeing that, and not feeling that the Falcons have improved over last season other than Julio gaining experience, I can't put Ryan higher than 9th. Both teams were horrible in that game till the Giants got things going with 3 min left in the 3rd quarter. The Falcons didn't show much life at all.

I think Eli is the one I'll go for. The secondary is beat up again, inexperienced and Ross is gone. The O-line is shaky still. The Giants should run better but I think only to the extent that it helps Eli rack up similar stats to last year.

You definitely have to be sold on him to take him at this point. He went at 3.6 in my last 12 team redraft.

I went back to look how Ryan did with Julio last year. Julio missed part of week 5, all of week 6, 7, 11. Meanwhile, Ryan sat out the second half of week 17.

In the 11 games last season where Julio and Ryan both played a full slate, Matt Ryan's numbers project to 33 TDs 12 INTs and 4650 yards.

While these numbers would have put him ahead of Romo and Manning last year (would move him from QB8 to QB6), they are pretty much in line with what a lot of people are projecting for Ryan this year.

Then I realized that the 5 games that were removed were: GB (32), Carolina (24), @Detroit (22), Tenn (14), TB (21). Every single one of these games was a mediocre to downright bad pass defense each allowing over 225 ypg AND every single one of these games was played in a dome. I would have expected Ryan to perform well even without his stud WR.

Ryan's numbers against these teams project to 26 TDs 16 INTs 3500 Yards. I counted week 17 as half a game here.

I think this speaks volumes about how good Julio Jones is, and how much Matt Ryan's success this year is tied to him.

So, to answer the question - I'm sold on Matt Ryan just as long as Julio Jones is his WR. I think he warrants a draft pick in round 5, and presents value in 6 or 7. However, draft a solid back up, because if Jones gets injured Ryan becomes a mediocre fantasy QB, even against a subpar defense.

I went back to look how Ryan did with Julio last year. Julio missed part of week 5, all of week 6, 7, 11. Meanwhile, Ryan sat out the second half of week 17. In the 11 games last season where Julio and Ryan both played a full slate, Matt Ryan's numbers project to 33 TDs 12 INTs and 4650 yards. While these numbers would have put him ahead of Romo and Manning last year (would move him from QB8 to QB6), they are pretty much in line with what a lot of people are projecting for Ryan this year. Then I realized that the 5 games that were removed were: GB (32), Carolina (24), @Detroit (22), Tenn (14), TB (21). Every single one of these games was a mediocre to downright bad pass defense each allowing over 225 ypg AND every single one of these games was played in a dome. I would have expected Ryan to perform well even without his stud WR. Ryan's numbers against these teams project to 26 TDs 16 INTs 3500 Yards. I counted week 17 as half a game here. I think this speaks volumes about how good Julio Jones is, and how much Matt Ryan's success this year is tied to him. So, to answer the question - I'm sold on Matt Ryan just as long as Julio Jones is his WR. I think he warrants a draft pick in round 5, and presents value in 6 or 7. However, draft a solid back up, because if Jones gets injured Ryan becomes a mediocre fantasy QB, even against a subpar defense.
This is why I have Ryan even higher (considerably higher) than his current FFG ADP of 40 and 6th QB. Is there another QB in the NFL that has two WR's that are going in the first two rounds? Is there a better WR tandem in the NFL? Maybe a couple are close, but certainly not better. I see Ryan being top 5 this year, maybe even an ADP of 20 in 6 pt passing TD leagues anyways. He also has a 3rd down RB who is getting better, and a HoF TE who still remains a reliable and safe target. Now add a no huddle offense...Of course, I could be all wrong, however when I have won leagues it's usually because of drafting a player that was thought of as a reach on draft day, and blew by his projections. Ryan is that guy in my drafts this year. If I'm wrong, I still have a top 10 QB, if I'm right, I'm golden. Looking past the top 5 QB's, I predict a Super Bowl letdown for Eli (not to mention the Eagles D and the improved Dallas secondary; 4 games right there), Peyton having some stuggles in Denver, cold weather games etc and Rivers.... after last year is a big ? Schaub always gets hurt, Ryan has remained healthy in contrast. I jumped for Rayn because I think the remaining QB's have unacceptable risk. Can Newton repeat? Brady is yet to get on the same page with Lloyd and has an awful O line. I see Ryan as very safe and with big time upside in 2012. I'm all in.

A lot of good stats and analyzing going on in this thread. :thumbup:

I took Ryan in the 5th/6th round in 75% of my leagues, so I guess that means I'm pretty sold.

I got Vick then Ryan in an auction draft the other night. 100 dollar cap, 13 roster spots total, Vick $8, Ryan $3. I do think I got Ryan for a good price, but truth be told ive never liked the guy.

I have heard his whole career what a gamer he is from all the pundits....I dont have the man crush. Mediocre at best so far as far as im concerned (I like the big guns, had Rodgers last year but tried a different route this year as the big guns were going for mid 20's).

All that said, ALL the "experts" now have him #7 basically in projections, so if it pans out (and vick stays healthy) im looking forward to having some nice trade bait!

If Vick gets hurt and Ryan is "Ryan", im looking forward to playing QBBC...

I'm in the mediocre+ QB bracket on him this year as well to.

With a healthy Julio all season I see the numbers come up some.

(I don't see "elite" QB numbers coming at this point here)

But where he's being projected, and drafted I'm going after the

following QB's before I take Ryan.(yah I know some ranked higher)

(I'm just not sold and would only take him if he fell low enough)

Eli Manning,

Philip Rivers,

Tony Romo

Michael Vick

Then I'd have to make a choice between Ryan an say Peyton Manning

Matt Schaub, Jay Cutler, with Roethlisberger/Freeman then bringing

up the rear. At that point I would wait where you'd have to take a

Ryan an go another position in the draft as I'm just not high on him.

It's only one game but the early results are promising. Glad I bought in partially thanks to Levin and others here hyping him. :thumbup:

KC pass defense and rush has been putrid. I hope he can play big all year as an Atlanta fan but going to be huge over reactions from this game. He's been big but has had all the time in the world and plenty of open guys. Only really had to make a couple of really tough throws.

KC pass defense and rush has been putrid. I hope he can play big all year as an Atlanta fan but going to be huge over reactions from this game. He's been big but has had all the time in the world and plenty of open guys. Only really had to make a couple of really tough throws.
this is true but theyre passing a heck of a lot. last yr they wouldve started runnng and running after taking the lead. theyre even passing inside the 10

this is true but theyre passing a heck of a lot. last yr they wouldve started runnng and running after taking the lead. theyre even passing inside the 10
True, very pleased by the new OC play calling. 34-17 after a TO he went play action down field, that was a guaranteed run plus 2nd down in years past. It's the lack of tough throws that makes me think over reaction. All been easy and won't be all year.

Ryan could've had 450, 6 total TD's today but offense just ran the ball after it was 40-17.

True, very pleased by the new OC play calling. 34-17 after a TO he went play action down field, that was a guaranteed run plus 2nd down in years past. It's the lack of tough throws that makes me think over reaction. All been easy and won't be all year.
its ok...you can say it...hes really good this year and will continue to be really good.

i think he just helped me score the high score of the year in one of my leagues
Having Matty Ice and Julio in a dynasty league is looking like it might not be a bad combo this year. That being said, I'm up 149 to 108 and opponent still has AJ Green and DMac, so it is likely I will squeak by or lose.. :wall:

Looks like the people who bought into the hype are reaping the benefits. Barring injuries, Ryan looks like a lock for top five. With White, Jones and Gonzo, and Turner not performing well, Ryan could end up top 3.

Rotoworld:

Tony Gonzalez believes former teammate Matt Ryan is not yet an elite quarterback.

Gonzalez made the comments on ESPN's NFL Live Thursday. "Matt’s an excellent quarterback," Gonzalez said. "But he’s not elite. He’s this close. He’ll get there, but he has some learning to do." Gonzo is right, but it's surprising he'd be so upfront about his former quarterback barely a month after hanging it up. Ryan made it more clear than ever in 2013 that he's not a Peyton Manning-style elevator, but still someone who needs his teammates to elevate him to "elite" heights.

Falcons placed RT Lamar Holmes on injured reserve with a foot injury, ending his season.
Falcons placed C Joe Hawley on injured reserve with a knee injury, ending his season.
Falcons signed OT Cameron Bradfield.
Bradfield started the first two games of the season for the Jaguars, but was released after a legendarily bad performance in Week 2.
:thumbdown:

Falcons placed RT Lamar Holmes on injured reserve with a foot injury, ending his season.
Falcons placed C Joe Hawley on injured reserve with a knee injury, ending his season.
Falcons signed OT Cameron Bradfield.
Bradfield started the first two games of the season for the Jaguars, but was released after a legendarily bad performance in Week 2.
:thumbdown:
Hmmm...what to do with Julio...

IMO the two best statistical measures in predicting QB success are comp % and YPA. Ryan at last year rates of 61.3% and 7.4 was middle of the pack. Career wise he is 60.9% and 7.0 respectively. In order to climb to the rank of elite, he will most likely need to improve both numbers pretty heartily. 65% and 8+ is really what is required to throw for 4500+ yards in most cases. TDs are hard to predict but he has the talent around him to excel there.
Through 4 games, Matt Ryan is on pace to set career highs in TDs (40), yards (5000+), YPA (8.3), and has a 66.4% completion rate.

I expect those numbers to come down a little as the season progresses; he's already thrown for 3 TDs in 3/4 games, but statistically, he's playing the best football of his career through the first quarter of this year.

He's never broken the top-5 in year end QB rankings in 6 previous seasons, but is on pace to this season. Maybe he's finally put it all together and is ready to join the supper-elite-upper-tier. Brady didn't break the top-5 until his 5th year as a starter (6th year in the league); same exact scenario with Brees; 5th year as a starter and 6th in the league.

Users who are viewing this thread