What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Philip Rivers, RET (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42 said:
He's average at best, but for the sake of this thread I'm happy with terrible.
Average in which population? You surely don't mean the world population, including Nigerian grandmas and Chinese infants. Neither can you mean the population of males aged 21-31 in the United States. Neither can you mean all NFL players, or even all NFL quarterbacks. You probably also don't mean that he's average for an NFL starting quarterback. He's well above average in any of those populations.

Do you mean that he's average for a quarterback selected to the Pro Bowl? I think that's a reasonable position (although I'd say he's slightly above average, myself).
I honestly really enjoyed your response. Even with the sarcastic jabs at me I really thought it was a great response, I am being very serious.... However, I wholeheartedly disagree.

For a career, he is slightly above average, although one could argue he has been fairly bad in the playoffs. To give a little context to average moving forward, we should review his last couple of seasons... 2011 & 2012 were below average while 2013 has been above well above average - I think that is a fair assessment that most would agree with of the last three seasons. Looking at his body of work for the last couple of years, what will he do moving forward? My guess is he'll be an average run of the mill QB.

In terms of the bold text above, here is a list of pro bowl QBs in the last five years:

Manning (both)

Brady

Luck

Schaub

Ryan

Rodgers

Brees

Wilson

RG3

Big Ben

Dalton

Rivers

Cam

Vick

Cassel

McNabb

Romo

Garrard

V Young

Favre

Cutler

Collins

Warner

24 guys on this list - I think the majority of people are taking 2/3 of these guys over Rivers and the case could be made for 75%...

I'll concede historically slightly to fairly above average, but moving forward and the last couple of years average at best.

Rivers has been a starter for 8 seasons. Some accomplishments relative to his peers:

- Top 7 in completion percentage in 6 of 8 seasons; led NFL 1 time (2013)

- Top 9 in passing yards in 6 of 8 seasons; led NFL 1 time (2010)

- Top 8 in passing yards per game in 5 of 8 seasons; led NFL 1 time (2010)

- Top 8 in YPA in 6 of 8 seasons; led NFL 3 times (2008-2010)

- Top 9 in passing TDs in 7 of 8 seasons; led NFL 1 time (2008)

- Top 8 in passer rating in 5 of 8 seasons; led NFL 1 time (2008)

- #3 in career passer rating among active QBs; #4 all-time in career passer rating

All this despite averaging just 31.1 pass attempts per game, which is just 16th highest among active QBs.

His regular season record is 79-49. He led his team to the playoffs 4 times and has a 3-4 playoff record. He has never missed a start, including playing in the 2007 AFC championship with a torn ACL.

Rivers was elite from 2008-2010. While he may never quite regain that level of play, he is very clearly well above average. (And not terrible.)

Rivers has been a starter for 8 seasons. Some accomplishments relative to his peers:

- Top 7 in completion percentage in 6 of 8 seasons; led NFL 1 time (2013)

- Top 9 in passing yards in 6 of 8 seasons; led NFL 1 time (2010)

- Top 8 in passing yards per game in 5 of 8 seasons; led NFL 1 time (2010)

- Top 8 in YPA in 6 of 8 seasons; led NFL 3 times (2008-2010)

- Top 9 in passing TDs in 7 of 8 seasons; led NFL 1 time (2008)

- Top 8 in passer rating in 5 of 8 seasons; led NFL 1 time (2008)

- #3 in career passer rating among active QBs; #4 all-time in career passer rating

All this despite averaging just 31.1 pass attempts per game, which is just 16th highest among active QBs.

His regular season record is 79-49. He led his team to the playoffs 4 times and has a 3-4 playoff record. He has never missed a start, including playing in the 2007 AFC championship with a torn ACL.

Rivers was elite from 2008-2010. While he may never quite regain that level of play, he is very clearly well above average. (And not terrible.)
The following two seasons he turned the ball over at the same rate as Mark Sanchez

fantasycurse42 said:
Average in which population? You surely don't mean the world population, including Nigerian grandmas and Chinese infants. Neither can you mean the population of males aged 21-31 in the United States. Neither can you mean all NFL players, or even all NFL quarterbacks. You probably also don't mean that he's average for an NFL starting quarterback. He's well above average in any of those populations.

Do you mean that he's average for a quarterback selected to the Pro Bowl? I think that's a reasonable position (although I'd say he's slightly above average, myself).
I honestly really enjoyed your response. Even with the sarcastic jabs at me I really thought it was a great response, I am being very serious.... However, I wholeheartedly disagree.

For a career, he is slightly above average, although one could argue he has been fairly bad in the playoffs. To give a little context to average moving forward, we should review his last couple of seasons... 2011 & 2012 were below average while 2013 has been above well above average - I think that is a fair assessment that most would agree with of the last three seasons. Looking at his body of work for the last couple of years, what will he do moving forward? My guess is he'll be an average run of the mill QB.

In terms of the bold text above, here is a list of pro bowl QBs in the last five years:

Manning (both)

Brady

Luck

Schaub

Ryan

Rodgers

Brees

Wilson

RG3

Big Ben

Dalton

Rivers

Cam

Vick

Cassel

McNabb

Romo

Garrard

V Young

Favre

Cutler

Collins

Warner

24 guys on this list - I think the majority of people are taking 2/3 of these guys over Rivers and the case could be made for 75%...

I'll concede historically slightly to fairly above average, but moving forward and the last couple of years average at best.
If the majority of people take 2/3 of those guys over Rivers, they are as uninformed as you are.

You are really putting too much weight into River's tough '11 and '12 campaigns. And those of us who watched every snap Rivers took those years will tell you that the problem wasn't Rivers, it was his line and weapons.

fantasycurse42 said:

Manning (both)

Brady

Luck

Schaub

Ryan

Rodgers

Brees

Wilson

RG3

Big Ben

Dalton

Rivers

Cam

Vick

Cassel

McNabb

Romo

Garrard

V Young

Favre

Cutler

Collins

Warner

If the majority of people take 2/3 of those guys over Rivers, they are as uninformed as you are.

You are really putting too much weight into River's tough '11 and '12 campaigns. And those of us who watched every snap Rivers took those years will tell you that the problem wasn't Rivers, it was his line and weapons.
:goodposting:

And if you're taking guys like Favre and Warner over Rivers because they had one good season out of the last five total years, then you're discounting the other years that they didn't even play. Those guys are locks to be under Rivers (unless you're only taking them in their Pro Bowl seasons, which means you then have to discount all of Rivers' non-Pro Bowl seasons too, which then pushes him above almost everyone on that list).

Besides the old guys, I'm not even really sure how you'd weigh "taking" a kid like Luck versus Rivers either. One has 3 excellent seasons, 1 okay season, and 1 poor season over the last five years. The other had an excellent rookie year, pretty good second season, and nothing else to measure. How do you even compare the two? Does Luck benefit because he didn't have a bad season? If we're taking Luck's two best seasons in the last five years, shouldn't we also then compare that against Rivers' two best seasons? Again, meaning Rivers blows him away.

What a silly argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
fantasycurse42 said:

Manning (both)

Brady

Luck

Schaub

Ryan

Rodgers

Brees

Wilson

RG3

Big Ben

Dalton

Rivers

Cam

Vick

Cassel

McNabb

Romo

Garrard

V Young

Favre

Cutler

Collins

Warner

And if you're taking guys like Favre and Warner over Rivers because they had one good season out of the last five total years, then you're discounting the other years that they didn't even play. Those guys are locks to be under Rivers (unless you're only taking them in their Pro Bowl seasons, which means you then have to discount all of Rivers' non-Pro Bowl seasons too, which then pushes him above almost everyone on that list).

Besides the old guys, I'm not even really sure how you'd weigh "taking" a kid like Luck versus Rivers either. One has 3 excellent seasons, 1 okay season, and 1 poor season over the last five years. The other had an excellent rookie year, pretty good second season, and nothing else to measure. How do you even compare the two? Does Luck benefit because he didn't have a bad season? If we're taking Luck's two best seasons in the last five years, shouldn't we also then compare that against Rivers' two best seasons? Again, meaning Rivers blows him away.

What a silly argument.
:doh: :lmao: :lol: :no: :sadbanana:

Not sure why people are letting fc42 troll them so easily in here. He clearly has no intent of having an honest discussion about Rivers and is either letting personal opinion cloud facts or is just having fun getting a rise out of you guys.

You don't need to put him on ignore but you can certainly just not respond to his posts.

Sorry guys... Clearly I'm in the wrong. I'm changing my opinion & agreeing with Michael Brown. If you remove 2011 & 2012 Rivers is at the top of that list a few posts up. Understood.

Career Adjusted Net Yards/Attempt:

Rodgers 7.59

Peyton 7.24

Rivers 7.02

Romo 6.96

Brady 6.95

Brees 6.85

Schaub 6.53

Roetlisberger 6.43

Ryan 6.40

Stafford 5.94

Eli 5.79

Flacco 5.69

Anyone that says Philip Rivers is an average NFL QB just plain has no idea what they're talking about.

This is career ANY/A for all QBs, using the following criteria:

--had at least 1000 career attempts age 25+ (to eliminate early career struggles)

--in the Superbowl era (to cut out people you've never heard of)

--indexed to account for era (since passing is now easier than it used to be)

Player ANY/A+Peyton Manning 124Aaron Rodgers 124Steve Young* 124Joe Montana* 121Dan Fouts* 120Roger Staubac* 120Drew Brees 119Tom Brady 118Dan Marino* 116Philip Rivers 116Kurt Warner 116Tony Romo 115Terry Bradsha* 114Sonny Jurgens* 114Daryle Lamonica 114Ken Anderson 113John Brodie 113Bob Griese* 113Bert Jones 113Jeff Garcia 112Trent Green 112Fran Tarkenton* 112Doug Williams 112Troy Aikman* 111Billy Kilmer 111Brett Favre 110Earl Morrall 110Mark Rypien 110Matt Schaub 110Roman Gabriel 109Jim Kelly* 109Donovan McNabb 109Chad Pennington 109Ben Roethlisber 109John Elway* 108Boomer Esiason 108Rich Gannon 108Bill Munson 108Jim Everett 107Steve Grogan 107Charley Johnson 107Neil Lomax 107Steve McNair 107Warren Moon* 107Craig Morton 107Bill Nelsen 107Matt Ryan 107Jeff George 106Jim Hart 106Joe Namath* 106Brian Sipe 106Danny White 106Mark Brunell 105Tony Eason 105Bill Kenney 105Daunte Culpeppe 104Len Dawson* 104Doug Flutie 104Elvis Grbac 104Erik Kramer 104Jim McMahon 104Neil O'Donnell 104Kyle Orton 104Carson Palmer 104Joe Theismann 104Steve Bartkowsk 103Randall Cunning 103Gary Danielson 103Steve DeBerg 103Jake Delhomme 103David Garrard 103John Hadl 103Jeff Hostetler 103Ron Jaworski 103Brad Johnson 103Tommy Kramer 103Eli Manning 103Phil Simms 103Ken Stabler 103Jim Zorn 103Steve Beuerlein 102Marc Bulger 102Chris Chandler 102Bobby Hebert 102Dave Krieg 102Greg Landry 102Ken O'Brien 102Jay Schroeder 102Andy Dalton 101Lynn Dickey 101Brian Griese 101Matt Hasselbeck 101Stan Humphries 101Bernie Kosar 101Chris Miller 101Scott Mitchell 101Michael Vick 101Jeff Blake 100Drew Bledsoe 100Steve Bono 100Aaron Brooks 100Jay Cutler 100Joe Ferguson 100Jay Fiedler 100Gus Frerotte 100Alex Smith 100Vinny Testaverde100Wade Wilson 100Kerry Collins 99Archie Manning 99Vince Ferragamo 98Jim Harbaugh 98Tommy Maddox 98Jake Plummer 98Mike Tomczak 98Johnny Unitas* 98Jason Campbell 97Joe Flacco 97Gary Hogeboom 97Jim Plunkett 97Charlie Batch 96Mike Livingston 96Josh McCown 96Richard Todd 96Matt Cassel 95Pat Haden 95Jon Kitna 95Don Majkowski 95Bart Starr* 95Gary Cuozzo 94Trent Dilfer 94Dan Pastorini 94Marc Wilson 93Tony Banks 92Bubby Brister 92Kent Graham 92Rodney Peete 92Kordell Stewart 92Jack Trudeau 92Ryan Fitzpatrick91David Carr 90Vince Evans 89Rex Grossman 89Chad Henne 89Eric Hipple 89Joey Harrington 88Mark Malone 88Jack Kemp 85Dave M. Brown 83Mike Phipps 83Rick Mirer 76By limiting the list to only players with 1000+ attempts from age 25 on we're excluding a ton of really bad QBs since most bad QBs don't last that long (Blaine Gabbert, Josh Freeman and Mark Sanchez are unlikely to qualify, for example). So most everyone on this list is a pretty good QB (about 70% have an index above the average of 100).Even cutting out so many bad QBs there are still 152 QBs on this list. And Philip Rivers is 10th. In the last 45+ years.

He's not "average".

I'd like to point out that while people endlessly make fun of Romo for choking in prime time, or throwing interceptions to end seasons, the Chargers were down 10 points in the 4th quarter on Sunday, in a game where it was win or your season is over, and he didn't make a costly mistake. Instead he led his team to tie the game and won it in overtime.

With everything on the line, Rivers delivered a 4th quarter comeback. Give Rivers credit for that.

I'd like to point out that while people endlessly make fun of Romo for choking in prime time, or throwing interceptions to end seasons, the Chargers were down 10 points in the 4th quarter on Sunday, in a game where it was win or your season is over, and he didn't make a costly mistake. Instead he led his team to tie the game and won it in overtime.

With everything on the line, Rivers delivered a 4th quarter comeback. Give Rivers credit for that.
Against a team playing mostly backups...

I don't like Rivers, but have always given him props for being a very good QB, 2011 and 2012 notwithstanding. But that comeback yesterday is nothing to brag about, considering they should have won going away.

Anyone that says Philip Rivers is an average NFL QB just plain has no idea what they're talking about.
Of course he knows what he's talking about. He's intellectually dishonest. He's a liar. End of story. He will continue to make flippant claims about players. If he lucks out and is right in some sense, he celebrates himself. If he's wrong it doesn't matter to what degree, he will continue to "entertain" himself by feeling superior that he has you engaged in his folly. To some degree he's a sociopath.

Of course he knows what he's talking about. He's intellectually dishonest. He's a liar. End of story. He will continue to make flippant claims about players. If he lucks out and is right in some sense, he celebrates himself. If he's wrong it doesn't matter to what degree, he will continue to "entertain" himself by feeling superior that he has you engaged in his folly. To some degree he's a sociopath.
:lmao: If this is sarcasm, you're brilliant! If this is serious, you need a mental evaluation ASAP!

So is Rivers still terrible? I don't think we ever got a consensus.
Shhhhhh, I think LHUCKS and Jeff Pasqualli are waiting in the weeds to high five each other on what a great call they made back in 2007 when Rivers has another bad game outllier.
Well, this will be the 4th year in a row Rivers doesn't make it to the playoffs. :oldunsure:
:cough cough:
I'm enjoying my crow with a little sriracha sauce.

Gr00vus said:
So is Rivers still terrible? I don't think we ever got a consensus.
Shhhhhh, I think LHUCKS and Jeff Pasqualli are waiting in the weeds to high five each other on what a great call they made back in 2007 when Rivers has another bad game outllier.
Well, this will be the 4th year in a row Rivers doesn't make it to the playoffs. :oldunsure:
:cough cough:
I'm enjoying my crow with a little sriracha sauce.
:lol: Well played GB.

I was just looking for this thread, thanks for bumping!

Rivers looking good in his two playoff games so far :thumbup:

19/28 for 172 & 1 through 7 quarters in the playoffs... Guy is all world!

Ol' noodle arm has no shot on a windy day.
His passes are accurate and not wobbly or fluttering. Unfortunately, his WRs have been getting no separation, and Green just let a first down pass go right through his hands.
Most people in here aren't all that interested in thoughtful analysis. Take it somewhere else, fella.
He's thrown for 172 yards in 7 quarters this playoffs. That just isn't going to cut it in the modern NFL.ETA: 44 yards in 3 quarters so far today.

His passes are accurate and not wobbly or fluttering. Unfortunately, his WRs have been getting no separation, and Green just let a first down pass go right through his hands.
Most people in here aren't all that interested in thoughtful analysis. Take it somewhere else, fella.
I refuse to let you guys ruin my fun. This thread is the only thing I have to look forward to every year!

:banned:

He's thrown for 172 yards in 7 quarters this playoffs. That just isn't going to cut it in the modern NFL.
You are just trolling to lump his game last week together with his game today. They won on the road by 17 points last week, and he played an efficient game. He only had 16 pass attempts in that game because that's all the Chargers needed to win easily. That was a good game, even "in the modern NFL."

Today he isn't playing well, but he has been under frequent pressure, the playcalling has been very conservative, and his receivers have not helped him. Agree that this game won't cut it in the modern NFL, and they are probably going to lose. So he will have had one good game and one bad game, both on the road, barring a miracle comeback.

He's thrown for 172 yards in 7 quarters this playoffs. That just isn't going to cut it in the modern NFL.
You are just trolling to lump his game last week together with his game today. They won on the road by 17 points last week, and he played an efficient game. He only had 16 pass attempts in that game because that's all the Chargers needed to win easily. That was a good game, even "in the modern NFL."

Today he isn't playing well, but he has been under frequent pressure, the playcalling has been very conservative, and his receivers have not helped him. Agree that this game won't cut it in the modern NFL, and they are probably going to lose. So he will have had one good game and one bad game, both on the road, barring a miracle comeback.
Lets look at his game today without "lumping in last week"

STUD!!!!!

Agreed, I don't think Rivers has been the primary problem. Lame 3yds and a cloud of dust game plan they should have abandoned 2 quarters ago and a def that has jumped offsides what 5 times now are much more to blame imho.

Agreed, I don't think Rivers has been the primary problem. Lame 3yds and a cloud of dust game plan they should have abandoned 2 quarters ago and a def that has jumped offsides what 5 times now are much more to blame imho.
Holding the Broncos to 17 so far, the defense isn't the problem. The game plan is the problem too? Come on!

Holding the Broncos to 17 so far, the defense isn't the problem. The game plan is the problem too? Come on!
Yes, the game plan is the problem. Rivers is 10/15 and has a 104.9 passer rating for the game so far. Meanwhile, Manning is 19/27, almost twice the pass attempts. Particularly once they got down by 14 with Mathews done for the game, the Chargers coaching staff needed to open up the playcalling, and they didn't do it until the last few plays of that TD drive.

The def has been ok, except for the jumping offsides 5 times which is a bonus manning doesn't need. And yes, continuing to try and run the ball when den is so obviously aligning to stop it is not giving their team the best chance to win. Its not that I think Rivers is all that and a bag of chips, I just think the run, run then try to pass game plan has played into dens hands and jumping offsides a ridiculous amount of times has really hurt them as well.

Yes, the game plan is the problem. Rivers is 10/15 and has a 104.9 passer rating for the game so far. Meanwhile, Manning is 19/27, almost twice the pass attempts. Particularly once they got down by 14 with Mathews done for the game, the Chargers coaching staff needed to open up the playcalling, and they didn't do it until the last few plays of that TD drive.

Rivers was 11/15 for 173 yards and 2 TDs in the 4th quarter. Had the Chargers' coaches opened up the playcalling sooner, they might have won the game.

FWIW, of the eight QBs who played this weekend, Rivers had the second best completion percentage (67%), the third best yards per attempt (8.0), tied for the most TDs (2), and tied for the fewest INTs (0). He was the only one who was in the top three in all four categories.

Bucky86 said:
Despyzer said:
FWIW, of the eight QBs who played this weekend, Rivers had the second best completion percentage (67%), the third best yards per attempt (8.0), tied for the most TDs (2), and tied for the fewest INTs (0). He was the only one who was in the top three in all four categories.
3RD AND 17
Unfortunately there's no middle finger smilie...

But seriously, all that proves is that he's not Peyton Manning with an arsenal of receivers at his disposal.

Users who are viewing this thread