What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Philip Rivers, RET (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Associated Press named Philip Rivers its 2013 Comeback Player of the Year.
People who know and understand the criteria for NFL Comeback POY will understand this pick. People who don't and think you have to be "coming back" from injury, won't. Rivers was widely written off as a shell-shocked rag-arm quarterback in steep decline after back-to-back brutal seasons under Norv Turner, but reemerged as a top-eight NFL passer in 2013 and engineered a Wild Card playoff birth, with a first-round upset of Cincinnati. Mike McCoy deserves a lot of credit for Rivers' turnaround. Frank Reich and Ken Whisenhunt both parlayed it into job promotions.

Rotoworld:

People who know and understand the criteria for NFL Comeback POY will understand this pick. People who don't and think you have to be "coming back" from injury, won't. Rivers was widely written off as a shell-shocked rag-arm quarterback in steep decline after back-to-back brutal seasons under Norv Turner, but reemerged as a top-eight NFL passer in 2013 and engineered a Wild Card playoff birth, with a first-round upset of Cincinnati. Mike McCoy deserves a lot of credit for Rivers' turnaround. Frank Reich and Ken Whisenhunt both parlayed it into job promotions.
Back to back "brutal seasons" is overstating it. He played below the standard he had set, but his play was far from "brutal."

Rotoworld:

Back to back "brutal seasons" is overstating it. He played below the standard he had set, but his play was far from "brutal."
Mediocre at best...

43tds/35ints/4 fumbles - almost a 1-1 TO ratio...

Rotoworld:

Mediocre at best...

43tds/35ints/4 fumbles - almost a 1-1 TO ratio...
Mediocre != brutal

Of the 28 QBs who threw at least combined 500 passes in 2011 and 2012, Philip Rivers was:

11th in passer rating

8th in Comp%

8th in TD%

and 21st in INT%

So basically he was pretty good, except for a rash of turn(er)overs. Not like his whole game went to hell or anything.

Of the 28 QBs who threw at least combined 500 passes in 2011 and 2012, Philip Rivers was:

11th in passer rating

8th in Comp%

8th in TD%

and 21st in INT%

So basically he was pretty good, except for a rash of turn(er)overs. Not like his whole game went to hell or anything.
:goodposting:

From a fantasy standpoint at the QB position, he wins comeback player of the year hands down. Went from being undrafted in most draft formats, to a sought after QB1 and highly tradable asset.

Rivers just needs a ring. (Please, my long term sanity depends on it)
I think the Charger defense will be ushering you to the funny farm.
Obviously plugging the hole at nose is the highest priority, but otherwise I feel more excited about the Charger D than anytime in the last 3-4 years.

Call me crazy, but I think the Chargers make a Super Bowl run this year. The AFC is wide open, and our roster is as deep as I've seen it.

Obviously plugging the hole at nose is the highest priority, but otherwise I feel more excited about the Charger D than anytime in the last 3-4 years.

Call me crazy, but I think the Chargers make a Super Bowl run this year. The AFC is wide open, and our roster is as deep as I've seen it.
Gotta love ya tommy.

The AFC is a 2 dog race. Denver & NEPats

The defensive roster is awful especially in the secondary, and the Dline isnt much better.

Gotta love ya tommy.

The defensive roster is awful especially in the secondary, and the Dline isnt much better.
I think the addition of Flowers and Verrett should help significantly.

Gotta love ya tommy.

Yep. And I think the pass rush should be better as well. Ingram has pro-bowl talent, if he can just stay healthy. I think this year is his coming out party.

Gotta love ya tommy.

Yep. And I think the pass rush should be better as well. Ingram has pro-bowl talent, if he can just stay healthy. I think this year is his coming out party.
The defensive front 7, front 3 in particular, have looked pretty bad so far this preseason. People may not have to pass much vs. the Chargers.

The defensive front 7, front 3 in particular, have looked pretty bad so far this preseason. People may not have to pass much vs. the Chargers.
Liuget has looked awesome.

Reyes has looked bad.

The DT spot wasn't a strength to begin with. With Geathers out and Lissemore still trying to get healthy, it's definitely a concern. I wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers add a newly released DT after teams cut down to 53.

Rivers better get his arm loose as it seems we'll be catching up ever game. The D has holes up the middle and it looks as if running won't be a problem for any team...much less Seattle..

Reyes has looked bad.

The DT spot wasn't a strength to begin with. With Geathers out and Lissemore still trying to get healthy, it's definitely a concern. I wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers add a newly released DT after teams cut down to 53.
Not the 1st two preseason games - barely noticed him, even when he was actually in the game.

Anyway, we're destroying the Philip Rivers is Terrible thread with this tangent.

Has anyone mentioned he hasn't won a super bowl yet?

Not the 1st two preseason games - barely noticed him, even when he was actually in the game.
He didn't play against the Cowboys.

He got just a series or two against the Seahakws, but he pressured Wilson a few times.

He got only 24 snaps against the 49ers, but got something like four tackles (including a nice stuff of Gore for a two-yard loss), a sack, a forced fumble, and a pass deflected.

Gr00vus said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
Gr00vus said:
Liuget has looked awesome.Reyes has looked bad.

Not the 1st two preseason games - barely noticed him, even when he was actually in the game.Anyway, we're destroying the Philip Rivers is Terrible thread with this tangent.

That's because you didn't see him. He was hurt.

Gr00vus said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
Gr00vus said:
Liuget has looked awesome.Reyes has looked bad.

Not the 1st two preseason games - barely noticed him, even when he was actually in the game.Anyway, we're destroying the Philip Rivers is Terrible thread with this tangent.

That's because you didn't see him. He was hurt.
As MT said, he played in the 2nd game. Regardless, the overall defensive front has looked pretty bad.

Besides Allen, who is Rivers going to throw to? Floyd gonna make it passed his kneck issues? Vincent Brown?
Floyd has been getting solid reviews in camp and played pretty well in preseason too. He's definitely the #2 WR right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides Allen, who is Rivers going to throw to? Floyd gonna make it passed his kneck issues? Vincent Brown?
His pass catching options are pretty much the same as last year, when he somehow managed to throw 32 touchdowns and only 11 interceptions, with nearly 4,500 passing yards. I think similar numbers are reasonable to expect.

Their base formation is going to be the 2 TE set so - Allen, Gates, Floyd, Green. Royal on 3 WR sets. Sprinkle in Woodhead for 70-80 balls.Floyd is a significant upgrade over the black hole of Brown.

Well ya know, they have this young potential breakout star named Ladarius Green and this other solid veteran guy Antonio Gates. Not to mention Mathews, Woodhead, and Royal all catch too..
Floyd has been getting solid reviews in camp and played pretty well in preseason too. He's definitely the #2 WR right now.
makes Allen a disappointment candidate compared to last year and this year adp. rivers on the other hand could be a steal.

Well ya know, they have this young potential breakout star named Ladarius Green and this other solid veteran guy Antonio Gates. Not to mention Mathews, Woodhead, and Royal all catch too..
makes Allen a disappointment candidate compared to last year and this year adp. rivers on the other hand could be a steal.
Rivers will be a steal

Lots of targets...talent...ascending offense....

Allen has been getting rave reviews this offseason. He isn't a guy who can overwhelm you with talent but he is one of those guys who always seems to be able to find the soft spot in zones and is completely on the same page with Rivers when it comes to breaking off routes. He is the unquestioned #1 and will probably pass Gates as Rivers most trusted target.

Rivers will be a steal

Lots of targets...talent...ascending offense....
Man I really hope so.

He finished 4th in Total FFP for QB's in a standard league last year. He went rock bottom last year and this year too.

CBS ranks him 14, FBG is something like that too maybe 15th without checking, for 2014.

This year he gets the NFCW, including @SEA week 2, which drives me crazy and tells me I need a QBBC, but at any rate maybe it was McCoy and not so much Wiz that was the magician last year. If that's the case then giddyup.

Lot of optimism in here. :oldunsure:

I'm not so sure they don't keep going with the run heavy plan that was so successful for them down the stretch last year, especially when that's what the beat reporters have been saying all off season that they'd do.

Lot of talented targets on the team, but I'm a little too nervous to sign up in case they prefer the safe, efficient guy who nearly rallied them past the Broncs to the guy who started 5-7 while putting up all the stats. I'm pretty sure if I'm McCoy, I'm going run heavy a lot more often than not after seeing last season's results.

Lot of optimism in here. :oldunsure:

I'm not so sure they don't keep going with the run heavy plan that was so successful for them down the stretch last year, especially when that's what the beat reporters have been saying all off season that they'd do.

Lot of talented targets on the team, but I'm a little too nervous to sign up in case they prefer the safe, efficient guy who nearly rallied them past the Broncs to the guy who started 5-7 while putting up all the stats. I'm pretty sure if I'm McCoy, I'm going run heavy a lot more often than not after seeing last season's results.
I think they'll be run heavy and Rivers will still be a startable FF QB.

The run game was more effective because of the pass game, imo. I think they'll be pretty balanced and Rivers finishes top 10 this year, again.

At his current price, this should not even be a debate. In my two drafts he was picked at 13.2 (ten teamer) and 8.13 (14 teamer by a Chargers homer). If he can have a season that is close to last year, that is a steal. Part of the reason that people are saying he was terrible when he was really only mediocre is that those were the two years where he was a top 20-30 pick in most drafts. I distinctly remember taking him in the second round one of those years. What a burn that was!

Bad news folks. I drafted him as my QB2 last night in a 12 teamer - round 12. Couldn't pass him up there. Prepare for an injury riddled season.

It's crazy how late he goes considering not much has changed for him. He's a complete after thought in drafts. Perfect "wait for QB" candidate.

People are afraid they're going to be more run oriented - which they are. Also they're using more short routes than Norv did, so the yards per pass are down. But I still think it'll leave plenty of opportunities for the passing game to put up some numbers. They also have a tougher schedule for QBs this year (if you believe in such things in preseason) than last year.

Run It Up said:
Hes #1 in my 1/2 committee of Rivers/Dalton in more than a couple leagues.
That's my favorite committee, for the price. Both guys were top-five fantasy QBs last season; and while they're unlikely to repeat, they both a have a good shot (IMO) of staying in the top ten.

Users who are viewing this thread