What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (2 Viewers)

I am mystified by the whole Trey Lance situation. I don't really understand why the 49ers traded up to get him and why they were ready to move away from a QB who almost (and realistically, could have) brought them to 1-2 Super Bowl victories in the past couple of years. I haven't seen every snap of his but to me he doesn't look that great and his stats in the handful of games he's played bear that out as well.

I hope he's great but so far I haven't see any reason to believe he will be. What am I missing?
It's the ol "The old guy isn't cutting it and is costing us a lot of money". So get the young stud with massive potential and develop him (aka Josh Allen/Mahomes/etc.) on his cheap rookie contract so you can surround him with the good expensive toys. If you look at Jimmy G's stats, especially when the game is on the line, it's pretty bad. Most Niner fans recognize that the D and running game have been the backbone of this team's success. JG is a lower to lower mid level QB as the stats go.

IIRC he played 1 year of college football.
He had one year on the bench in SF.
This year is his junior year, so to speak, and he's a starting QB for a NFL Franchise.

SF botched this and I don't see him picking up the NFL game on the fly this season. Will he get better? Probably.
But there's really nowhere to go but up.
I'm staying away from all the 9ers until they show me how they can be competitive with this kid at the helm. Which probably means running the crap out of the ball and their starting RB just went down.
Any 9er right now is a gamble.

NFL Next Gen Stats' 2 least accurate QBs of the weekend (based on completion percentage above expectation) were the 2 QBs who played in that slopfest:

Justin Fields and Trey Lance

Conditions played a huge factor in the kids game. Hopefully he'll get better every time he plays in bad weather

Last edited:
Slop, Kittle was out, dude needs time to develop still. Anyone expecting better than 2018, maybe 2019 Josh Allen is delusional imo.

Some of us, like myself, took him as a backup QB lottery ticket. Especially in bigger leagues where a backup QB is valuable.

So, most of us will wait instead of picking up a bakup off the waiver like Goff or Mills.

Made a few nice throws downfield. Upside is there. If I was a 49ers fan I'd be a little annoyed but you gotta be VERY patient at the QB position.

Tough part is this is a superbowl quality team...now's not the time to be patient...
Sure, but probably not even with Jimmy. Honestly they got lucky last year.
Niners D balled out and got them into the playoffs, and then proceeded to help them win some games in spite of Garoppolo's ineptitude. Enter Jim's shoulder injury and the D STILL managed to drag them into the NFCCG where Jimmy pooped the bed yet again. Even still, they were one dropped INT from the SuperBowl. I think Lance will look a lot better moving forward. Not saying the Niners will get back, but they'll have the pieces once everyone returns (Starting safety Jimmy Ward, George Kittle two notables).

The only two things I can think of:
  • It potentially allows Shanahan to be even more creative in the run game than he already is. If you think about their division, the best way to neutralize the likes of LAR and ARI is TOP. If Lance's rushing ability allows them to have a 4x run option on a play (RB1, Deebo, Aiyuk, Lance), it could be insanely fun. Add that to a good D, and you can control the game.
  • This is just a full GalaxyBrain moment for Kyle where he is overthinking, trying to be the greatest offensive mind in the game.
We're a 49er household, and my 13yo son has been so incredibly all-in on Trey. I kept asking him how he could possibly know. The answer was always that he shredded the Texans (he did and didn't), and draft capital. Was never good enough for me, and I kept saying we need to see before we believe.

We haven't. We might. But certainly not yet.

When I heard Shanahan put deep threat rookie WR Danny Gray on the inactive list prior to the game, I knew we were gonna get a conservative game plan to limit Treys chances for mistakes in that weather.

I think next week we see a more open playbook with Danny Gray stretching the field, giving Trey another target, and if Kittle plays, well even better.

When I heard Shanahan put deep threat rookie WR Danny Gray on the inactive list prior to the game, I knew we were gonna get a conservative game plan to limit Treys chances for mistakes in that weather.

I think next week we see a more open playbook with Danny Gray stretching the field, giving Trey another target, and if Kittle plays, well even better.
Let's hope so. They need to let Lance play his game.

I get it a little bit on Sunday with the weather and a game they thought they could win with a conservative game plan. They would have without the melt down on penalties and overall stupidity.

NFL Next Gen Stats' 2 least accurate QBs of the weekend (based on completion percentage above expectation) were the 2 QBs who played in that slopfest:

Justin Fields and Trey Lance

Conditions played a huge factor in the kids game. Hopefully he'll get better every time he plays in bad weather
I wonder if they factor in the weather when calculating expected completion %. It seems really disingenuous to publish stats indicating a QB performed worse than expected without taking into account extreme weather conditions.

Trey Lance ranked 21st in QBR in Week 1. Not great, but not bad in a monsoon

Heres all the QBs, in order, that finished with a LOWER rating than Lance in week 1:

Fields
Burrow
Brissett
Mayfield
Carr
D. Jones
Stafford
Rodgers
Flacco
Dak
Mac Jones

STEP AWAY FROM THE PANIC BUTTON, FOLKS.

Trey Lance ranked 21st in QBR in Week 1. Not great, but not bad in a monsoon

Heres all the QBs, in order, that finished with a LOWER rating than Lance in week 1:

Fields
Burrow
Brissett
Mayfield
Carr
D. Jones
Stafford
Rodgers
Flacco
Dak
Mac Jones

STEP AWAY FROM THE PANIC BUTTON, FOLKS.
Fair point, but the numbers that Shanahan is undoubtedly focusing on are 0-1. Against a considerably inferior opponent.

PFF_Jeff via Twitter:

NFL leader in Big Time Throw percentage after one week? That would be Trey Lance at 6.9%. #49ers

PFF definition of a Big-Time Throw:

A big-time throw is best described as a pass with excellent ball location and timing, generally thrown further down the field and/or into a tighter window.

...and Danny Gray was inactive last week. He won't be this week.

I am mystified by the whole Trey Lance situation. I don't really understand why the 49ers traded up to get him and why they were ready to move away from a QB who almost (and realistically, could have) brought them to 1-2 Super Bowl victories in the past couple of years. I haven't seen every snap of his but to me he doesn't look that great and his stats in the handful of games he's played bear that out as well.

I hope he's great but so far I haven't see any reason to believe he will be. What am I missing?
Jimmy G very bad at qb
Even if Lance is equally bad, he can at least run and is much cheaper with tons of upside

Jimmy G very bad at qb

I feel like this is objectively untrue. He may not be great enough to carry a team to a championship but he's not a "very bad" QB.
He’s a good QB that makes mind-numbing mistakes you wouldn’t expect.
He's definitely made some bad mistakes, but has also won a ton of games, reaching one Super Bowl and nearly another. Generally steady, which seems to be more valuable to a coaching staff than a guy with a rocket arm and uncanny mobility. Lance is going to have to prove that he's more than the latter, and fast.

Jimmy G very bad at qb

I feel like this is objectively untrue. He may not be great enough to carry a team to a championship but he's not a "very bad" QB.
He's definitely made some bad mistakes, but has also won a ton of games, reaching one Super Bowl and nearly another. Generally steady, which seems to be more valuable to a coaching staff than a guy with a rocket arm and uncanny mobility. Lance is going to have to prove that he's more than the latter, and fast.
He had 1 td and 3 int in his 4 playoff wins with 128 yds/game. SF won 4 playoff games with nothing from the qb.

Jimmy G very bad at qb

He had 1 td and 3 int in his 4 playoff wins with 128 yds/game. SF won 4 playoff games with nothing from the qb.
True, his playoff performance was poor, but he at least got them there. Not sure Lance is capable of that at this point.

He's definitely made some bad mistakes, but has also won a ton of games, reaching one Super Bowl and nearly another. Generally steady, which seems to be more valuable to a coaching staff than a guy with a rocket arm and uncanny mobility. L

The problem with Jimmy has been injuries. In the last 4 years he's just missed too many games. Games played the past 4 years (reg season)

2021: 15
2020: 6
2019: 16
2018: 3

Theres 2 years completely wasted.

As a coach, you've got to have a guy you believe is gonna be available, and they just couldn't trust Jimmy to do that, no matter how far you got with him at QB when healthy.

I dont see it with Lance.he'll be replaced by handsome Dan by week 5. Hes not ready for primetime. Jimmy g is a very good qb in this SF system. Instant . credibility when theyre 0-4 and turn to him and he steers the ship. Lance a lesser QB. Like far below Mariota and hes the worst qb since todd Marinovitch or todd blackledge. Hes a worse Browning Nagle.yes.I know that last one hurts. Hes a lesser dave brown nyg. Tim couch without the accolades. Yes people hes worse that ..gulp..justin fields.and THATS saying something. Because fields suckks bad

I dont see it with Lance.he'll be replaced by handsome Dan by week 5. Hes not ready for primetime. Jimmy g is a very good qb in this SF system. Instant . credibility when theyre 0-4 and turn to him and he steers the ship. Lance a lesser QB. Like far below Mariota and hes the worst qb since todd Marinovitch or todd blackledge. Hes a worse Browning Nagle.yes.I know that last one hurts. Hes a lesser dave brown nyg. Tim couch without the accolades. Yes people hes worse that ..gulp..justin fields.and THATS saying something. Because fields suckks bad
I completely disagree and Lance will easily have this whole year as a leash. Lance going 20+ this week easy.

I completely disagree and Lance will easily have this whole year as a leash. Lance going 20+ this week easy.

I sure hope so..i have banked my season in two leagues on Lance. Rain again but we shall see

No chance he has this whole year on a leash, the 9ers expect to making a Super Bowl run. If he has a bad start after 4 games, it will definitely be Jimmy G time.

This off-season and the start of the season could not have gone much worse for Lance. Every week the pressure and noise will continue to build. The only way to quiet it is to win ball games. I am not saying this week is a must win but next weekend they travel to Denver (always a tough place to play) then have the Rams in SF the following week after that. He needs to suppress the noise this week with a win and especially if chirps about the locker room being divided are true.

No chance he has this whole year on a leash, the 9ers expect to making a Super Bowl run. If he has a bad start after 4 games, it will definitely be Jimmy G time.
I agree with this. Team brass is on the hook for drafting Lance, but they'll be more on the hook if this Super Bowl-hopeful team falls flat this year irrespective of who is behind center.

We will only see Jimmy if Lance gets hurt IMO. No 0-4 team has ever made the playoffs, so there would be no point in making a switch at QB if they drop their first 4 games. It's ride or die with Lance this season.

He needs to suppress the noise this week with a win and especially if chirps about the locker room being divided are true.

The oonly noise and chirps are in the media, the locker room is fine.

Just read an FBG article by a guy -- who was watching the film of the game and has watched Lance before -- who says that Lance takes some solid hits because he doesn't slide very quickly and just runs through guys. I saw it in his highlights from North Dakota St. where I was like "Get down, man!" So I don't think the film watcher is far off.

What's my point? You may see Jimmy G by the fifth game, but not for benching reasons.

Also, my other point: Lance is going to be fine. Everything I've heard reported and everything I've seen is that he's a better QB than Jimmy G. The color commentators in the booth wince whenever Jimmy G plays. He's just not very good, Super Bowl appearance or not. (And since when did that mean anything? We can all agree Trent Dilfer was a pretty terrible QB, right?)

Last edited:
Just read an FBG article by a guy who was watching the film of the game and has watched Lance before that Lance takes some solid hits because he doesn't slide very quickly and just runs through guys. I saw it in his highlights from North Dakota St. where I was like "get down, man!" So I don't think the film watcher is far off.

What's my point? You may see Jimmy G by the fifth game, but not for benching reasons.

Also, my other point: Lance is going to be fine. Everything I've heard reported and everything I've seen is that he's a better QB than Jimmy G. The color commentators in the booth wince whenever Jimmy G plays. He's just not very good, Super Bowl appearance or not. (And since when did that mean anything? We can all agree Trent Dilfer was a pretty terrible QB, right?)
Yeah, that 2000 Ravens offense was less than pedestrian with him; the defense was so stiflingly good, it didn't matter.

While we fantasy nerds are most concerned about the stats, coaches are most concerned with wins and losses. If Lance can win games despite putting up ugly stats regardless of the weather conditions, I'm sure that will placate team brass and keep him behind center. He first has to show he can do that, as it wasn't an auspicious start in that respect.

Accuracy is a big issue for Lance, he has to correct that
I mean, he can probably get better at it. But will he ever be even average accuracy for an NFL starter?

What’s the real difference between Lance and Jordan Love right now, today, in terms of skill set? Lance looks pretty bad. At least he’s younger and still has time to grow and improve.

Users who are viewing this thread