What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (2 Viewers)

Dallas made a trade for Lance because they are going to move on from Dak.
The Cowboys have zero leverage. Not sure how they move on. Another extension looms for Dak.

Kind of feels like people doing a balance transfer to pay off a high credit card debt and then go out and start charging again right away.

So why do you think Dallas traded for Lance?
Developmental backup they can trade. Dak's contract is a stranglehold on the Cowboys. They really can not move on for at least a year. His cap charge is almost 60 million. Dak could agree to lower that and take another extension I guess. The Cowboys could just play out the rest of the contract. They can not trade him with that contract and they can not trade him unless he agrees to a trade and they can not tag him at the end either. https://overthecap.com/player/dak-prescott/4848

The Cowboys have zero leverage. Not sure how they move on. Another extension looms for Dak.

Kind of feels like people doing a balance transfer to pay off a high credit card debt and then go out and start charging again right away.

I think they were just trying to get lucky that he would turn into something. There is zero chance he is starting over Dak next year, assuming Dak stays healthy.

It's never zero. If they traded for him, there was a reason. I think people in the organization know Dak is the reason why Dallas is out of the playoffs before MLK weekend every year. Lance is going to get his shot.

It's zero. I would go lower if I could.

Alright, well.....if he ever plays a down of football for the Cowboys, I'll be sure to remind you of this comment. ;)

You weren't talking about him taking a single snap, that could very well happen in a blowout or something, I'm talking about Lance winning the starting job over Dak by next season and that just isn't happening in the real world. I did say as long as Dak is healthy, I would add as long as Dak doesn't get suspended or retire as well.

It's amazing how you can make such a ridiculous statement and think if he plays a single snap you can somehow twist my words back as some type of gotcha.

Oh, relax. I put a smiley face in there for god's sake.

I'd like to see what Lance can do as a starter for Dallas and am fine being a table for one on that thought. I've had enough Dak to last a lifetime. Maybe Lance is terrible, I don't know, there's not been enough playing time to make that final call. Maybe his coaches know he can't play, but I don't know that. Unlike a Sam Darnold or Zach Wilson who have A LOT of game film in the pros to show their ineptitude, Lance doesn't have that and I for one am curious. Why did an organization that has been better than 30 other organizations the last 5 years pay so much draft capital to take him #3 overall? Somebody in that fine organization had a belief. What was it? What was it that made Shanahan elevate him over Jimmy G as the starter in 2022? I'm kind of eager to see what the kid can do.

I am definitely NOT eager to watch another year of Dak, but maybe he'll prove me wrong. I won't bet on it, but I'm wrong a lot too so there's that.
I think it is more telling that the same organization realized very quickly that they made a massive mistake and got rid of him. They had a lot more information at the time they got rid of him than they did when they drafted him. That speaks volumes.

They had to get rid of him. It was the right move.

But maybe that's the correct read, that they never saw the talent materialize or it was fool's gold all along. There's not a giant body of work to study on him. The year they made him the starter, he had a crappy weather game in Chicago and was hurt soon after that one (going off memory). Jimmy G keeps 'em alive and then they discover plutonium in Purdy. Brady 2.0.

I'm going to remain optimistic on Lance. Jim Plunkett was given up on and he turned it around. There's been other 1st round QBs who made the most out of 2nd chances. Not all do, certainly, but it does happen.
Plunkett had a resume, Lance does not, including college. Well, not much of one.

That's true which is why I want to see what he can do. :shrug:

I think they were just trying to get lucky that he would turn into something. There is zero chance he is starting over Dak next year, assuming Dak stays healthy.

It's never zero. If they traded for him, there was a reason. I think people in the organization know Dak is the reason why Dallas is out of the playoffs before MLK weekend every year. Lance is going to get his shot.

It's zero. I would go lower if I could.

Alright, well.....if he ever plays a down of football for the Cowboys, I'll be sure to remind you of this comment. ;)

You weren't talking about him taking a single snap, that could very well happen in a blowout or something, I'm talking about Lance winning the starting job over Dak by next season and that just isn't happening in the real world. I did say as long as Dak is healthy, I would add as long as Dak doesn't get suspended or retire as well.

It's amazing how you can make such a ridiculous statement and think if he plays a single snap you can somehow twist my words back as some type of gotcha.

Oh, relax. I put a smiley face in there for god's sake.

I'd like to see what Lance can do as a starter for Dallas and am fine being a table for one on that thought. I've had enough Dak to last a lifetime. Maybe Lance is terrible, I don't know, there's not been enough playing time to make that final call. Maybe his coaches know he can't play, but I don't know that. Unlike a Sam Darnold or Zach Wilson who have A LOT of game film in the pros to show their ineptitude, Lance doesn't have that and I for one am curious. Why did an organization that has been better than 30 other organizations the last 5 years pay so much draft capital to take him #3 overall? Somebody in that fine organization had a belief. What was it? What was it that made Shanahan elevate him over Jimmy G as the starter in 2022? I'm kind of eager to see what the kid can do.

I am definitely NOT eager to watch another year of Dak, but maybe he'll prove me wrong. I won't bet on it, but I'm wrong a lot too so there's that.
I think it is more telling that the same organization realized very quickly that they made a massive mistake and got rid of him. They had a lot more information at the time they got rid of him than they did when they drafted him. That speaks volumes.

They had to get rid of him. It was the right move.

But maybe that's the correct read, that they never saw the talent materialize or it was fool's gold all along. There's not a giant body of work to study on him. The year they made him the starter, he had a crappy weather game in Chicago and was hurt soon after that one (going off memory). Jimmy G keeps 'em alive and then they discover plutonium in Purdy. Brady 2.0.

I'm going to remain optimistic on Lance. Jim Plunkett was given up on and he turned it around. There's been other 1st round QBs who made the most out of 2nd chances. Not all do, certainly, but it does happen.
I am sure you could find someone that meets nearly any criteria that had success. Like you, i think there is enough "there" to get me intrigued about Lance as an end-of-the-bench dynasty flier.

Jordan Love- developmental QB prospect with good tools that mostly sat for 3 years. First year starting- started off with good TD luck, mini slump mid season but put it all together late NOV and is now viewed as an unequivocal success.

Trey Lance- developmental QB prospect with good tools that either needed to sit or experience growing pains while on the field. The handling overall smells a bit like signs of a power struggle between HC and FO where the development track was jerked around and there was too much pressure to perform. Topped off with some really unfortunately timed injuries.

I'll be holding a candle for him but can totally understand why SF fans don't have warm fuzzies about him.
Lance needs a lot of work. Only played one full season of football against Division II competition, and that was 2019. Five years is a long time for someone as raw as Lance, and he just didn’t look good at all last preseason. I still hope he gets another chance in the NFL and I hope he succeeds. It’s just not a bet I’d be willing to make.

The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys will pick up Trey Lance’s $4.25 million summer roster bonus.
However, Calvin Watkins reports the team will not pick up Lance’s fifth-year team option for 2025. That part basically went without saying. Per Watkins, “team officials did not consider cutting Lance, whom they believe made tremendous strides last season.” Lance was not the No. 2 quarterback for the Cowboys’ Super Bowl-or-bust roster, though 31-year-old Cooper Rush is a cut candidate at his currently scheduled salary of $2.25 million. Amazingly, Lance remains two months shy of his 24th birthday.

The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys will pick up Trey Lance’s $4.25 million summer roster bonus.
However, Calvin Watkins reports the team will not pick up Lance’s fifth-year team option for 2025. That part basically went without saying. Per Watkins, “team officials did not consider cutting Lance, whom they believe made tremendous strides last season.” Lance was not the No. 2 quarterback for the Cowboys’ Super Bowl-or-bust roster, though 31-year-old Cooper Rush is a cut candidate at his currently scheduled salary of $2.25 million. Amazingly, Lance remains two months shy of his 24th birthday.
The bolded is indeed hard to believe. You'd think as long as we've been discussing him that he'd be like 26 or 27 by now.

The bolded is indeed hard to believe. You'd think as long as we've been discussing him that he'd be like 26 or 27 by now.
Lamar just turned 27 and Todd Gurley is 29. It feels like some people simply do not age.

Lamar just turned 27 and Todd Gurley is 29. It feels like some people simply do not age.
That Gurley is still 29 shocks me ever even more. I would have guessed at least 32.

That Gurley is still 29 shocks me ever even more. I would have guessed at least 32.
His knee is 45 though. ;)

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the “arrow is really up” on backup QB Trey Lance. “He’s exceeded expectations as a person, as a worker.” Lance to compete with Cooper Rush for No. 2 job behind Dak Prescott. “He’s very much what we had planned on, hoped when we gave the pick.”
Heard he was a good person and hard worker in SF (which is great), although was hoping he would develop into a good football player as well. Still time…

Users who are viewing this thread