What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (3 Viewers)

Seems like a good time to mention that despite so many doom and gloom predictions for what that failed trade would result in for the 49ers, here they are in the Super Bowl just a couple short years later.

Brock Purdy has a ton to do with it, but it seems safe to say that while truly a horrific trade to land Lance, it definitely didn’t destroy the 49ers.
Most franchises would have been set back YEARS trading all that draft capitol for a top 3 pick and getting ZERO return from it. Its truly amazing they are in the SB and this good, despite that HUGE swing and miss on Lance.
The Celtics drafted Len Bias #1 overall after having just won the NBA title. Sometimes the breaks don’t go your way, but other good decisions can compensate for bad luck. Signing McCaffrey was brilliant and not ruining Aiyuk when I thought they might was also good.
Can you imagine how many titles the Celtics would have won had Bias not died? He was a bigger, faster MJ. His death happened during my high school years when I first started experimenting with drugs....and he's the reason I never tried Coke. That scared me straight.
Word has it that Bias died after having tried cocaine just once. I’m not sure I believe that, but I have no reason not to.
I'm pretty sure that IS true. His family and teammates all said as much.

IIRC it was a heart attack or cardiac arrhythmia caused by cocaine use.

Not everyone’s physiology is the same, and some are more susceptible to amphetamines.

It still goes down as an OD, but I think most of us think of Pulp Fiction & Uma Therman getting an adrenaline shot after snorting heroin, and that just wasn’t the case with Bias.

Seems like a good time to mention that despite so many doom and gloom predictions for what that failed trade would result in for the 49ers, here they are in the Super Bowl just a couple short years later.

Brock Purdy has a ton to do with it, but it seems safe to say that while truly a horrific trade to land Lance, it definitely didn’t destroy the 49ers.
Most franchises would have been set back YEARS trading all that draft capitol for a top 3 pick and getting ZERO return from it. Its truly amazing they are in the SB and this good, despite that HUGE swing and miss on Lance.
The Celtics drafted Len Bias #1 overall after having just won the NBA title. Sometimes the breaks don’t go your way, but other good decisions can compensate for bad luck. Signing McCaffrey was brilliant and not ruining Aiyuk when I thought they might was also good.
Can you imagine how many titles the Celtics would have won had Bias not died? He was a bigger, faster MJ. His death happened during my high school years when I first started experimenting with drugs....and he's the reason I never tried Coke. That scared me straight.
Word has it that Bias died after having tried cocaine just once. I’m not sure I believe that, but I have no reason not to.
I’d be more inclined to believe his teammates. The family doesn’t know these things.

I can see Aiyuk leaving to go get a big deal somewhere else, a deal the Niners won't be able to match.
Read the other day that extending Aiyuk is the 49ers #1 priority this offseason. He's not going anywhere IMO, SF has the best salary cap wizard in the league.

Theyll also create a ton of cap space by restructuring a few players contracts.

The cap is so easily manipulated, it's almost like it doesn't really exist.

I can see Aiyuk leaving to go get a big deal somewhere else, a deal the Niners won't be able to match.
Read the other day that extending Aiyuk is the 49ers #1 priority this offseason. He's not going anywhere IMO, SF has the best salary cap wizard in the league.

Yeah, there’s been a ton of local chatter about it. I’d be shocked if they let him walk.

I guess we'll see. And also no way to really measure this, but I'd still say Howie Roseman is the preeminent salary cap guru, but whatever, it doesn't matter if he isn't regarded as the best.

I feel Aiyuk isn't going to be giving any sort of hometown discount, and if he is smart, he'll wait until he sees the contract Lamb signs first.

The problem with Trey Lance's value is not talent but the roster spot you will have to hold for him. The Cowboys gave a 4th-round pick for him #124. That is not cheap. I do not see them picking up his 5th-year option of course but he is not going anywhere either. He should be locked in as the Cowboys #2 in 2024. He can still run like a deer and the second he is taking snaps as a starter his value will jump for someone who is on the WW. If you have a roster spot and can hold him I can see value in doing that if you can burn the roster spot.

Shanny and company are lucky and there is no other way to put it. Most of the time this could be a GM career killer. This has to be one of the worst trades in NFL history and should be remembered as such.

He can still run like a deer
I remember an article before the season that said the 49ers were surprised how Lance wasn't nearly as good of a runner as they thought when they drafted him.

I can't remember one decent scramble in his limited playing time in SF.

This San Francisco GM/HC also missed horribly on 1st round bust Reuben Foster, who was a character question mark before the draft. Incredible how the 49ers whiffed so badly on two first rounders and are consistently one of the best teams in football. I admire it.

It's much easier to manipulate that cap when your starting QB is getting minimum wage. Wait until 2025 when they have to pay Purdy, It won't be quite so easy.

Prescott turns 31 before the '24 season, I didn't realize he was already over 30, not that it's old for a Quarterback
12-5 4,500 37TD
12-5...missed 5 starts with injury in '22 but overall pretty durable
12-5 4,500 yds 36TD

His last 3 seasons have been on fire, what is the angle trying to be excited about Trey Lance?
He's a cheap 2nd string QB for Dallas while they try and win a Super Bowl
They have a pretty talented roster that needs a little work.
I don't see Lance finding the light of day there outside of an injury and I doubt he would look anything like Dak under center

Just my opinion back with facts and records
I liked Lance coming out of college, wasn't sure he shoulda been drafted that high but I didn't say instantly "Bust"
But over time and working with one of the great minds in football under Shanahan, he couldn't get anything going.
Injuries set him back but he was never able to get on top of things in San Fran

This San Francisco GM/HC also missed horribly on 1st round bust Reuben Foster, who was a character question mark before the draft. Incredible how the 49ers whiffed so badly on two first rounders and are consistently one of the best teams in football. I admire it.
Lance and Foster weren't even the worst first round picks of this regime, unfortunately.

Dallas made a trade for Lance because they are going to move on from Dak.
$59M cap hit

$60M+ dead cap hit if they cut him

C'mon GM, you know when you see that exactly what is happening
Dallas will be extending Dak Prescott and lowering that cap hit to a very manageable number
I would expect Dak to be signing a $250M deal any day

$59M cap hit

Dallas will be extending Dak Prescott and lowering that cap hit to a very manageable number

Why do you think Dallas traded for him. Has to be a reason.

He can still run like a deer
I remember an article before the season that said the 49ers were surprised how Lance wasn't nearly as good of a runner as they thought when they drafted him.

I can't remember one decent scramble in his limited playing time in SF.
🫣

I’m generally not a big critic of bad deals. They happen. But never understood making this deal from the start, so not using hindsight to criticize. He was just too raw to make that kind of investment on.

But yeah, getting Purdy bailed them out to a degree. Those picks sure would have been nice.

$59M cap hit

Didn't Dak and Dallas go on a tear after Lance arrived, maybe JJ just wanted to keep them all motivated or let everyone know he was still in charge
Since Lance isn't very good or likely to unseat Dak, it seems like an old man-owner that wanted to show he could still do just about anything he wants and not ask permission
It was reported that Jones made this move, not the FO or HC or Assistants so he might never see the field in Dallas except a possible injury

$59M cap hit

Didn't Dak and Dallas go on a tear after Lance arrived, maybe JJ just wanted to keep them all motivated or let everyone know he was still in charge
Since Lance isn't very good or likely to unseat Dak, it seems like an old man-owner that wanted to show he could still do just about anything he wants and not ask permission
It was reported that Jones made this move, not the FO or HC or Assistants so he might never see the field in Dallas except a possible injury

We don't know that Lance isn't very good. He's had very few games to show what he can do.

We do know that Dak has ended the Cowboys' last three post season appearances by making bone-headed, inexcusable decions at the absolute worst time. That's a problem. That's a pattern.

Lance gives Dallas a cheap option to see what the future looks like with a dual threat QB who might not puke all over himself in big games.

The Cowboys have zero leverage. Not sure how they move on. Another extension looms for Dak.

Kind of feels like people doing a balance transfer to pay off a high credit card debt and then go out and start charging again right away.

The Cowboys have zero leverage. Not sure how they move on. Another extension looms for Dak.

Kind of feels like people doing a balance transfer to pay off a high credit card debt and then go out and start charging again right away.

So why do you think Dallas traded for Lance?

I think they were just trying to get lucky that he would turn into something. There is zero chance he is starting over Dak next year, assuming Dak stays healthy.

Feels like a gamble on talent & physical skills.

I think they were just trying to get lucky that he would turn into something. There is zero chance he is starting over Dak next year, assuming Dak stays healthy.

It's never zero. If they traded for him, there was a reason. I think people in the organization know Dak is the reason why Dallas is out of the playoffs before MLK weekend every year. Lance is going to get his shot.

It's never zero. If they traded for him, there was a reason. I think people in the organization know Dak is the reason why Dallas is out of the playoffs before MLK weekend every year. Lance is going to get his shot.
Why did Miami trade for Chase Claypool?

Why did Miami trade for Chase Claypool?

I think the Cowboys paid a little higher price for Lance than the Dolphins did for Claypool. Fair point though.

There is one Dallas fan that has had enough Dak gacking games away and would like a sea change at the position.

There are probably more than one of you GM, but I'd say that until Trey can prove he can lead a touchdown drive—much less lead a team to the playoffs (playoffs?!)—you're probably in better hands with Dak.

I can get your frustration, though. I just happen to think Dak is a pretty darn good QB. Take it from a Jets fan who has been watching Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson the past three or four years. And Trevor Siemian. And the whole kit and kaboodle. I'd take Dak, warts and all, in a heartbeat.

There is one Dallas fan that has had enough Dak gacking games away and would like a sea change at the position.

There are probably more than one of you GM, but I'd say that until Trey can prove he can lead a touchdown drive—much less lead a team to the playoffs (playoffs?!)—you're probably in better hands with Dak.

I can get your frustration, though. I just happen to think Dak is a pretty darn good QB. Take it from a Jets fan who has been watching Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson the past three or four years. And Trevor Siemian. And the whole kit and kaboodle. I'd take Dak, warts and all, in a heartbeat.

I know, you're not wrong. Being a Jets fan would be a true test of faith.

I'd like to at least SEE what Lance looks like under center for Dallas. He's only had 4 starts, it'd be interesting to see if there's anything there, but barring an injury, it's probably unlikely. Maybe I'll learn how to have some faith in Dak, but it's been a challenge in the post-season. At least he gets them there, so there's that.

It's zero. I would go lower if I could.

Alright, well.....if he ever plays a down of football for the Cowboys, I'll be sure to remind you of this comment. ;)

It's tough to move on from an above-average QB without any obviously great alternatives, but I can say as a Niners fan, I'm looking forward to the Cowboys paying him $60m+ and hamstringing their ability to do other things with their roster.

Jordan Love- developmental QB prospect with good tools that mostly sat for 3 years. First year starting- started off with good TD luck, mini slump mid season but put it all together late NOV and is now viewed as an unequivocal success.

Trey Lance- developmental QB prospect with good tools that either needed to sit or experience growing pains while on the field. The handling overall smells a bit like signs of a power struggle between HC and FO where the development track was jerked around and there was too much pressure to perform. Topped off with some really unfortunately timed injuries.

I'll be holding a candle for him but can totally understand why SF fans don't have warm fuzzies about him.

It's tough to move on from an above-average QB without any obviously great alternatives, but I can say as a Niners fan, I'm looking forward to the Cowboys paying him $60m+ and hamstringing their ability to do other things with their roster.

If I'm a Niners' fan, I'm elated that the Cowboys are continuing on with Dak. He has more completions to San Francisco players than Lance ever had there.

Alright, well.....if he ever plays a down of football for the Cowboys, I'll be sure to remind you of this comment. ;)

You weren't talking about him taking a single snap, that could very well happen in a blowout or something, I'm talking about Lance winning the starting job over Dak by next season and that just isn't happening. I did say as long as Dak is healthy, I would add as long as Dak doesn't get suspended or retire as well.

Last edited:

You weren't talking about him taking a single snap, that could very well happen in a blowout or something, I'm talking about Lance winning the starting job over Dak by next season and that just isn't happening in the real world. I did say as long as Dak is healthy, I would add as long as Dak doesn't get suspended or retire as well.

It's amazing how you can make such a ridiculous statement and think if he plays a single snap you can somehow twist my words back as some type of gotcha.

Oh, relax. I put a smiley face in there for god's sake.

I'd like to see what Lance can do as a starter for Dallas and am fine being a table for one on that thought. I've had enough Dak to last a lifetime. Maybe Lance is terrible, I don't know, there's not been enough playing time to make that final call. Maybe his coaches know he can't play, but I don't know that. Unlike a Sam Darnold or Zach Wilson who have A LOT of game film in the pros to show their ineptitude, Lance doesn't have that and I for one am curious. Why did an organization that has been better than 30 other organizations the last 5 years pay so much draft capital to take him #3 overall? Somebody in that fine organization had a belief. What was it? What was it that made Shanahan elevate him over Jimmy G as the starter in 2022? I'm kind of eager to see what the kid can do.

I am definitely NOT eager to watch another year of Dak, but maybe he'll prove me wrong. I won't bet on it, but I'm wrong a lot too so there's that.

You weren't talking about him taking a single snap, that could very well happen in a blowout or something, I'm talking about Lance winning the starting job over Dak by next season and that just isn't happening in the real world. I did say as long as Dak is healthy, I would add as long as Dak doesn't get suspended or retire as well.

It's amazing how you can make such a ridiculous statement and think if he plays a single snap you can somehow twist my words back as some type of gotcha.

I'd like to see what Lance can do as a starter for Dallas and am fine being a table for one on that thought. I've had enough Dak to last a lifetime. Maybe Lance is terrible, I don't know, there's not been enough playing time to make that final call. Maybe his coaches know he can't play, but I don't know that. Unlike a Sam Darnold or Zach Wilson who have A LOT of game film in the pros to show their ineptitude, Lance doesn't have that and I for one am curious. Why did an organization that has been better than 30 other organizations the last 5 years pay so much draft capital to take him #3 overall? Somebody in that fine organization had a belief. What was it? What was it that made Shanahan elevate him over Jimmy G as the starter in 2022? I'm kind of eager to see what the kid can do.

I am definitely NOT eager to watch another year of Dak, but maybe he'll prove me wrong. I won't bet on it, but I'm wrong a lot too so there's that.
I think it is more telling that the same organization realized very quickly that they made a massive mistake and got rid of him. They had a lot more information at the time they got rid of him than they did when they drafted him. That speaks volumes.

I think it is more telling that the same organization realized very quickly that they made a massive mistake and got rid of him. They had a lot more information at the time they got rid of him than they did when they drafted him. That speaks volumes.

They had to get rid of him. It was the right move.

But maybe that's the correct read, that they never saw the talent materialize or it was fool's gold all along. There's not a giant body of work to study on him. The year they made him the starter, he had a crappy weather game in Chicago and was hurt soon after that one (going off memory). Jimmy G keeps 'em alive and then they discover plutonium in Purdy. Brady 2.0.

I'm going to remain optimistic on Lance. Jim Plunkett was given up on and he turned it around. There's been other 1st round QBs who made the most out of 2nd chances. Not all do, certainly, but it does happen.

They had to get rid of him. It was the right move.

But maybe that's the correct read, that they never saw the talent materialize or it was fool's gold all along. There's not a giant body of work to study on him. The year they made him the starter, he had a crappy weather game in Chicago and was hurt soon after that one (going off memory). Jimmy G keeps 'em alive and then they discover plutonium in Purdy. Brady 2.0.

I'm going to remain optimistic on Lance. Jim Plunkett was given up on and he turned it around. There's been other 1st round QBs who made the most out of 2nd chances. Not all do, certainly, but it does happen.
Plunkett had a resume, Lance does not, including college. Well, not much of one.

Users who are viewing this thread