What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (2 Viewers)

Drop in 1qb leagues? What's his rookie pick value for superflex?
brutal - most have been holding him in SF leagues hoping for a trade where he has a chance to start. That wont happen in Dallas unless injury for the next 2 yrs. Tempted to drop - 1 QB league would be a smash drop for me

It wouldn’t surprise me if this was Shanahan’s way to telling, well, whoever it was that talked him into taking Lance over Mac, “See? We tried it your way and it didn’t work, now let me do it my way.” A decision made much easier once his new handpicked QB provided better results right away.
That might be possible, sure.

But in no universe does Shanny let go a better QB because of politics. At the end of the day winning trumps everything.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this was Shanahan’s way to telling, well, whoever it was that talked him into taking Lance over Mac, “See? We tried it your way and it didn’t work, now let me do it my way.” A decision made much easier once his new handpicked QB provided better results right away.

But in no universe does Shanny let go a better QB because of politics. At the end of the day winning trumps everything.
Politics and trump in one message, can someone call the mods and let them know they can stay home, it's a false alarm.

“If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries.” - Bill Parcells, after being forced to draft Terry Glenn by upper management when he wanted someone else

Shanny settled on the QB that gave him the best chance to win now, and sent the message that it should be his call going forward. Both can be true.

In one of my 1Qb leagues he was dropped a few minutes after the trade and I will be doing the same.

A lot of variables at play but I think there is a world he takes over as Dallas starting QB in 2024. For a Dallas, that’s what I believe this trade was about.
I don't think there are any thoughts about Lance taking over in Dallas in 2024. He will be lucky to be QB2.
I think you are mistaken.

One way or another Dak is not playing on his current contract in 2024. Zero chance.

I’ll say it again. That’s what this trade was about for Dallas.

Are you suggesting that the trade for Lance is to gain leverage to get Dak to restructure his contract? Trey Lance? Dak is not getting cut, the dead money is massive.
If Trey Lance shows any signs of living up to the hype, which Shanahan per his quotes above seems to agree, talent is there. He is a project. They knew it'd take a season or 2 and he spent that time injured... now with the emergence of Brock Purdy, they can't have this other guy waiting behind threatening their guy. Sam Darnold was just a buffer signing because they knew they had to move on from Trey. It seems like a win-win for both sides. Dallas can work with him and determine if he is that guy. Dak can continue to be Dak and Cooper Rush is the obvious and immediate impacted player.

People are acting like Dallas invested a bunch into Trey Lance. They got a top graded talent with everything to prove for not much draft capital. He is arguably the best you can do with a 4th round pick: youth, ability, highly graded prospect at a premium position. In a vacuum, if Lance fell to them 3 years ago in the 4th... everybody would be singing their praises but because SF traded so many picks to get him, everyone is holding Dallas to the capital spent by another team... not really how this works.

If Lance pans out, Dak should be concerned. If Dak elevates his game and Lance wants out... Dallas is out a 4th round pick for their efforts. Seems like the Cowboys cashed in on San Francisco's mistake but neither team is worse for any of this.

Yup...when you can look at this without an agenda this sums it up.

People keep saying if Lance pans out. How is Lance supposed to "pan out" in Dallas?

This season, in practice, the Dallas Cowboys aren't giving Trey Lance first team reps in practice. He has to learn the Cowboys offense, then beat out Cooper Rush. He's basically going to spend the entire season watching, learning the offense and getting limited reps in practice. Barring injuries to Prescott and Rush he probably won't see any game action for Dallas. How is he developing in that type of environment? How is he supposed to "pan out"? Then with most likely, no game action and limited reps in practice information to evaluate Lance on, the Cowboys, on May 1, 2024, need to decide if they want to pick up his 5th year option.

Most likely scenario is the Cowboys don't pick up his 5th year option and Lance is an UFA in 2025 without playing a meaningful, regular season down for Dallas.

That's why I said, it doesn't make sense for Dallas, but it does for a team that is expected to be bad and can give Lance the opportunity to get practice and game reps.

ETA: Hypothetical: If the Cowboys didn't pick up Lance's 5th year option. Cut Prescott in 2024 (doubtful, but go with it for this hypo), went with Lance as the starter and Lance did "pan out". The Cowboys would have to give Lance a big contract. Ha Ha Ha.

How did Geno Smith pan out? All reports are that Jordan Love has made huge strides after sitting for 3 years...if I was betting I would definitely bet he does not pan out but to not see how it can happen means you already have your mind made up.

The politics angle has me thinking about Dak Prescott and the $59 mil he's due in '24

Couldn't we also argue that trading for Lance creates some political drama? Is the trade a message from Jones to Dak? Doesn't that create a distraction?
Yes. But it's not the level of heat and attention Lance attracted in SF.

Dak is on the hot seat. He needs to produce results this year, or Dallas might kick the tires on Lance or another QB.

In one of my 1Qb leagues he was dropped a few minutes after the trade and I will be doing the same.

A lot of variables at play but I think there is a world he takes over as Dallas starting QB in 2024. For a Dallas, that’s what I believe this trade was about.
I don't think there are any thoughts about Lance taking over in Dallas in 2024. He will be lucky to be QB2.

One way or another Dak is not playing on his current contract in 2024. Zero chance.

Are you suggesting that the trade for Lance is to gain leverage to get Dak to restructure his contract? Trey Lance? Dak is not getting cut, the dead money is massive.
If Trey Lance shows any signs of living up to the hype, which Shanahan per his quotes above seems to agree, talent is there. He is a project. They knew it'd take a season or 2 and he spent that time injured... now with the emergence of Brock Purdy, they can't have this other guy waiting behind threatening their guy. Sam Darnold was just a buffer signing because they knew they had to move on from Trey. It seems like a win-win for both sides. Dallas can work with him and determine if he is that guy. Dak can continue to be Dak and Cooper Rush is the obvious and immediate impacted player.

People are acting like Dallas invested a bunch into Trey Lance. They got a top graded talent with everything to prove for not much draft capital. He is arguably the best you can do with a 4th round pick: youth, ability, highly graded prospect at a premium position. In a vacuum, if Lance fell to them 3 years ago in the 4th... everybody would be singing their praises but because SF traded so many picks to get him, everyone is holding Dallas to the capital spent by another team... not really how this works.

If Lance pans out, Dak should be concerned. If Dak elevates his game and Lance wants out... Dallas is out a 4th round pick for their efforts. Seems like the Cowboys cashed in on San Francisco's mistake but neither team is worse for any of this.

People keep saying if Lance pans out. How is Lance supposed to "pan out" in Dallas?

This season, in practice, the Dallas Cowboys aren't giving Trey Lance first team reps in practice. He has to learn the Cowboys offense, then beat out Cooper Rush. He's basically going to spend the entire season watching, learning the offense and getting limited reps in practice. Barring injuries to Prescott and Rush he probably won't see any game action for Dallas. How is he developing in that type of environment? How is he supposed to "pan out"? Then with most likely, no game action and limited reps in practice information to evaluate Lance on, the Cowboys, on May 1, 2024, need to decide if they want to pick up his 5th year option.

Most likely scenario is the Cowboys don't pick up his 5th year option and Lance is an UFA in 2025 without playing a meaningful, regular season down for Dallas.

That's why I said, it doesn't make sense for Dallas, but it does for a team that is expected to be bad and can give Lance the opportunity to get practice and game reps.

ETA: Hypothetical: If the Cowboys didn't pick up Lance's 5th year option. Cut Prescott in 2024 (doubtful, but go with it for this hypo), went with Lance as the starter and Lance did "pan out". The Cowboys would have to give Lance a big contract. Ha Ha Ha.

How did Geno Smith pan out? All reports are that Jordan Love has made huge strides after sitting for 3 years...if I was betting I would definitely bet he does not pan out but to not see how it can happen means you already have your mind made up.
I came back to say this. Well put. I'm not talking in absolutes. He could not pan out. I'm fully aware, but guys have been behind starters and moved up the depth chart, surely we can agree on that? Hell, 2 of the guys in mind come from the Dallas Cowboys - Tony Romo and Dak Prescott. Romo was buried on the depth chart behind Vinny Testaverde and Drew Henson but they held him for 2 years and look what happened.

You act like Dallas has all this dead money but Tyron Smith, Brandin Cooks, Michael Gallup, Tony Pollard, Tank Lawrence all may retire or see free agency in the next to near future. Dan Quinn has shown the ability to take other peoples discarded players on 1 year deals and make them high-performers: Donovan Wilson, Jayron Kearse, Malik Hooker. He can do a lot with a little on the defensive side of the ball.

The only guys Dallas have to sign are Lamb and Micah. We easily could franchise Dak and keep Trey Lance. Cooks is a rental. There are a lot of expiring contracts for older players. Saying, "there is no way they pick up Trey Lance's 5th year or they can tell if he pans out" is pretty short-sighted. There is absolutely a way for Trey Lance to start games in the NFL (as a Cowboys fan I don't want to talk about them). I just want to acknowledge they do exist. Roster turnover is pretty real and Dallas has a good share of veterans eating a lot of salary: Tyron Smith, Zach Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Leighton Vanderesch, Michael Gallup, Brandin Cooks, Stephon Gilmore that could foreseeably be replaced in the draft.

If/when Shanahan wins a SB, nobody will care about this Lance thing. It won't matter.
FTR, Darnold ain't better than Lance. This move was all about Purdy > Lance. Darnold was safe insurance for Purdy's injury. I 100% doubt Darnold would've started over Lance if Purdy was out the first part of the season. Sorry @Hot Sauce Guy :shrug:

Sorry, you're wrong. Shanahan LOVES Darnold, and has since before he was even drafted. There was almost no chance Lance would have started over Darnold if Lance hadn't been traded.

With a SB roster, Shanahan is starting the guy with 50+ starts over the guy with 4 starts every time.

Every time.
Darnold is going to be atrocious if Purdy gets hurt. You guys are going to be in serious trouble if Purdy goes down (I honestly don't think you guys have a chance at a sb with Purdy either)
The only thing Darnold has going for him is the situation. Darnold can come in and manage a game (not lose). That's it. We know what he is.

I came back to say this. Well put. I'm not talking in absolutes. He could not pan out. I'm fully aware, but guys have been behind starters and moved up the depth chart, surely we can agree on that? Hell, 2 of the guys in mind come from the Dallas Cowboys - Tony Romo and Dak Prescott. Romo was buried on the depth chart behind Vinny Testaverde and Drew Henson but they held him for 2 years and look what happened.

You act like Dallas has all this dead money but Tyron Smith, Brandin Cooks, Michael Gallup, Tony Pollard, Tank Lawrence all may retire or see free agency in the next to near future. Dan Quinn has shown the ability to take other peoples discarded players on 1 year deals and make them high-performers: Donovan Wilson, Jayron Kearse, Malik Hooker. He can do a lot with a little on the defensive side of the ball.

The only guys Dallas have to sign are Lamb and Micah. We easily could franchise Dak and keep Trey Lance. Cooks is a rental. There are a lot of expiring contracts for older players. Saying, "there is no way they pick up Trey Lance's 5th year or they can tell if he pans out" is pretty short-sighted. There is absolutely a way for Trey Lance to start games in the NFL (as a Cowboys fan I don't want to talk about them). I just want to acknowledge they do exist. Roster turnover is pretty real and Dallas has a good share of veterans eating a lot of salary: Tyron Smith, Zach Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Leighton Vanderesch, Michael Gallup, Brandin Cooks, Stephon Gilmore that could foreseeably be replaced in the draft.

Yup...and let's remember the kid is still only 23...he is almost 2.5 years younger than Herndon Hooker.

If/when Shanahan wins a SB, nobody will care about this Lance thing. It won't matter.
FTR, Darnold ain't better than Lance. This move was all about Purdy > Lance. Darnold was safe insurance for Purdy's injury. I 100% doubt Darnold would've started over Lance if Purdy was out the first part of the season. Sorry @Hot Sauce Guy :shrug:

Sorry, you're wrong. Shanahan LOVES Darnold, and has since before he was even drafted. There was almost no chance Lance would have started over Darnold if Lance hadn't been traded.

With a SB roster, Shanahan is starting the guy with 50+ starts over the guy with 4 starts every time.

Every time.
Darnold is going to be atrocious if Purdy gets hurt. You guys are going to be in serious trouble if Purdy goes down (I honestly don't think you guys have a chance at a sb with Purdy either)
The only thing Darnold has going for him is the situation. Darnold can come in and manage a game (not lose). That's it. We know what he is.

Not that I am high on Darnold (because I am not) but we actually don't know what he is playing for a good Coach.

The politics angle has me thinking about Dak Prescott and the $59 mil he's due in '24

Couldn't we also argue that trading for Lance creates some political drama? Is the trade a message from Jones to Dak? Doesn't that create a distraction?

Dak is on the hot seat. He needs to produce results this year, or Dallas might kick the tires on Lance or another QB.
The media attention angle feels very overstated. This is barely news outside of the fantasy community. Lance is a single news cycle player. It's Purdy's team and everyone knows it.

Hell I would argue having the media talk about Lance is a good thing because they're not asking the far more important questions "Where's Bosa???"
"Why haven't you signed Bosa?"
"When are you going to sign Bosa?"
"PAY THE MAN!!!"

The media attention angle feels very overstated. This is barely news outside of the fantasy community. Lance is a single news cycle player. It's Purdy's team and everyone knows it.

Hell I would argue having the media talk about Lance is a good thing because they're not asking the far more important questions "Where's Bosa???"
"Why haven't you signed Bosa?"
"When are you going to sign Bosa?"
"PAY THE MAN!!!"
Lance is/was a ticking bomb because of the trade. He's been huge news because of how horrific things played out. A lot of the SF beat reports I follow talk about Lance constantly. It was a huge deal until Purdy was fully cleared only a few weeks ago.

Not that I am high on Darnold (because I am not) but we actually don't know what he is playing for a good Coach.
This. People tend to look only at numbers and not situations.

Darnolds previous head coach/offensive coordinator combos in his 5 years:

Todd Bowles/Jeremy Bates
Adam Gase/Dowell Loggains
Matt Rhule/Joe Brady & Jeff Nixon
Steve Wilks/Ben McAdoo

Darnolds WR1 and RB1 in his career:

2018: Robbie Anderson/Isaiah Crowell
2019: Robbie Anderson/LeVeon Bell
2020: Jamison Crowder/Old Frank Gore
2021: DJ Moore/Chuba Hubbard
2022: DJ Moore/D'Onta Foreman

Safe to day he's in a better situation by far that he's ever been in, and that matters IMO. Maybe we will find out, but anyone writing him off because of his past might be jumping the gun.

Last edited:

Todd Bowles/Jeremy Bates
Steve Wilks/Ben McAdoo

2020: Old Frank Gore/Jamison Crowder
2021: Chuba Hubbard/DJ Moore
2022: D'Onta Foreman/DJ Moore

Safe to day he's in a better situation by far that he's ever been in, and that matters IMO. Maybe we will find out, but anyone writing him off because of his past might be jumping the gun.
And Trey came in during Covid, super young, and got injured early in Y2. He's had practically 0 opportunity while Darnold has had YEARS of it.

Todd Bowles/Jeremy Bates
Steve Wilks/Ben McAdoo

And Trey came in during Covid, super young, and got injured early in Y2. He's had practically 0 opportunity while Darnold has had YEARS of it.
Neither of them have had good opportunities to be successful.

Todd Bowles/Jeremy Bates
Steve Wilks/Ben McAdoo

Lance has had three off seasons in Shanahan's system. That's actually a lot of opportunity.

If he had demonstrated the ability to excel at the position he would absolutely still be a Niner.

But he's 23 years old and in Dallas. There is plenty of time for him to rewrite his career narrative.

Todd Bowles/Jeremy Bates
Steve Wilks/Ben McAdoo

Lance has had three off seasons in Shanahan's system. That's actually a lot of opportunity.

If he had demonstrated the ability to excel at the position he would absolutely still be a Niner.

But he's 23 years old and in Dallas. There is plenty of time for him to rewrite his career narrative.
He was hurt/rehabbing for significant portions of his time in SF, to be fair to him.

Trey wasn't what the 49ers hoped to get. His college rushing numbers suggest he was a Josh Allen/Lamar Jackson type. He's not. He's big with a strong arm but is slow AF. Once they realized that, they knew they whiffed IMO
Well that is piss poor scouting. Seriously…..you can’t tell that with your eyes? Forget clocks and stop watches. Also what was his competition?

Just a huge massive whiff and they are damn lucky Purdy (thus far) looks like a golden calf.

How many 4th round picks have the possible upside?

Maybe he comes in for four games and looks great, and they trade him. Great move by Dallas.

What has Lance shown since he's come into the NFL that would indicate that he could play 4 games and be good. Has he had 4 good games in a season ever? You probably have to go back to to high school.

Lance only had 99 passing attempts in high school and about 300 total in college. His entire career starting at Pop Warner he’s had fewer attempts than most starting NFL or college QBs have in one season. It’s extraordinary. Normally you’d absolutely expect multiple people to get fired for a mistake of this magnitude.
And then they got Purdy….otherwise yeah….cleaning house.

Trey wasn't what the 49ers hoped to get. His college rushing numbers suggest he was a Josh Allen/Lamar Jackson type. He's not. He's big with a strong arm but is slow AF. Once they realized that, they knew they whiffed IMO
Well that is piss poor scouting. Seriously…..you can’t tell that with your eyes? Forget clocks and stop watches. Also what was his competition?

Just a huge massive whiff and they are damn lucky Purdy (thus far) looks like a golden calf.
Yeah, it's been said by everyone on earth the past few days multiple times.

Anyone who thinks Dak is worth 59MM is high.

I don't think that means what you think it means.

Anyone who thinks Dak is worth 59MM is high.
I am watching Dak call the offense for the team tonight.

If I was Dak, i would be going for Cowboy for Life Ring of Honor hang with JJ in the box for the rest of his life kinda deal.

Dak will be willing to work with them on contract I bet.

If the main reason San Fran traded Trey Lance was to avoid being a mainstream media circus, it has worked. Dallas is now the center of the talk show media storm. Jerry traded for Lance and didn't consult McCarthy and Dak. Blah, Blah, Blah. Really, who cares?

If the main reason San Fran traded Trey Lance was to avoid being a mainstream media circus, it has worked. Dallas is now the center of the talk show media storm. Jerry traded for Lance and didn't consult McCarthy and Dak. Blah, Blah, Blah. Really, who cares?
The circus will end a week from Sunday.

Time to either drop him to waivers in start 1qb leagues, or put him on your bench and forget about him until he is relevant, which may never happen. As for SF, if you're not the Dak owner and have short benches, I don't see how you can stash him. In 12 team SF leagues with 22 or > man rosters, park him on your bench and wait and see. In 14 team SF leagues with 20 or greater man rosters, park him as well.

yeah wasted a pick on a guy that will never start. yawn

Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy spoke with "The Rich Eisen Show" on Friday and provided an update on the 23-year-old, who is third on the Dallas quarterback depth chart.

"Obviously, his athletic ability speaks for itself," McCarthy told Eisen. "I've just been so impressed with the young man. He's got an excellent, excellent work ethic. Every offense is different, and he's going through the transition as far as the reads and the footwork. But he's off to a really good start. He's a great fit for us."

"Dak is the lead dog in our room -- there's no question about that," McCarthy told Eisen. "Trey's a young guy with a lot of talent that we're going to have to continue to develop to fit our system."

Huh?

Seems like a good time to mention that despite so many doom and gloom predictions for what that failed trade would result in for the 49ers, here they are in the Super Bowl just a couple short years later.

Brock Purdy has a ton to do with it, but it seems safe to say that while truly a horrific trade to land Lance, it definitely didn’t destroy the 49ers.

Seems like a good time to mention that despite so many doom and gloom predictions for what that failed trade would result in for the 49ers, here they are in the Super Bowl just a couple short years later.

Brock Purdy has a ton to do with it, but it seems safe to say that while truly a horrific trade to land Lance, it definitely didn’t destroy the 49ers.
Most franchises would have been set back YEARS trading all that draft capitol for a top 3 pick and getting ZERO return from it. Its truly amazing they are in the SB and this good, despite that HUGE swing and miss on Lance.

Most franchises would have been set back YEARS trading all that draft capitol for a top 3 pick and getting ZERO return from it. Its truly amazing they are in the SB and this good, despite that HUGE swing and miss on Lance.
The Celtics drafted Len Bias #1 overall after having just won the NBA title. Sometimes the breaks don’t go your way, but other good decisions can compensate for bad luck. Signing McCaffrey was brilliant and not ruining Aiyuk when I thought they might was also good.

Yeah, that’s in part what inspired my post - I’m as amazed as anyone that it didn’t destroy them.

They have made some shrewd moves to get where they are. With that said, they are going to lose some players and not be able to keep paying I think 6 players the highest salary for their position. That is the way the NFL is designed. I can see Aiyuk leaving to go get a big deal somewhere else, a deal the Niners won't be able to match.

Gotta give them credit where credit is due though. They have a super talented and efficient team this year.

and not ruining Aiyuk when I thought they might was also good.
True, but they also passed up on Lamb to take a mediocre DE in the process, so I’m still mixed on that one.

I love Aiyuk, but I believe Lamb is significantly better.

If they hit on Kinlaw obviously it would have been an absolutely brilliant move though. But they didn’t. So…

Very high level of performance by CMC, Kittle, Williams, Deebo, Aiyuk and Brock. That's 6 of the starters on offense. Aiyuk played at a level I didn't expect.

OTOH, the trade capital helped Miami but didn't get them past a 1st round playoff exit. McDaniels low usage of TEs and RBs in the passing game is perplexing.

The Celtics drafted Len Bias #1 overall after having just won the NBA title. Sometimes the breaks don’t go your way, but other good decisions can compensate for bad luck. Signing McCaffrey was brilliant and not ruining Aiyuk when I thought they might was also good.
Can you imagine how many titles the Celtics would have won had Bias not died? He was a bigger, faster MJ. His death happened during my high school years when I first started experimenting with drugs....and he's the reason I never tried Coke. That scared me straight.

They have made some shrewd moves to get where they are. With that said, they are going to lose some players and not be able to keep paying I think 6 players the highest salary for their position. That is the way the NFL is designed. I can see Aiyuk leaving to go get a big deal somewhere else, a deal the Niners won't be able to match.

Gotta give them credit where credit is due though. They have a super talented and efficient team this year.
I get the feeling they’ll find a way to keep Aiyuk.

Can you imagine how many titles the Celtics would have won had Bias not died? He was a bigger, faster MJ. His death happened during my high school years when I first started experimenting with drugs....and he's the reason I never tried Coke. That scared me straight.
Definitely gave me a healthy fear of cocaine & other synthetic drugs. I was also in HS (16) at the time of his death. For sure a cautionary tale. Cocaine was so prevalent in ‘86, and before that no one I knew even know one could overdose.

Word has it that Bias died after having tried cocaine just once. I’m not sure I believe that, but I have no reason not to.

Users who are viewing this thread