What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Trey Lance, DAL (1 Viewer)

Lance could sit another year
He has to play. He's played to little football in his career to sit out another season.
How long did Rodgers sit?
How much did Rogers play in college?
Come on man
No one is joking here.

In Trey Lance's entire college, pro and hell we'll even throw in his high school career he's attempted a grand total of 519 passes. Think about that.

When the 2023 season begins Trey Lance will have started 5 football games since 2019 and will have attempted a grand total of 132 passes since 2019.

There is no way he is can sit another year. It will not happen.
All that is exactly why they aren’t going to blindly turn over the keys to a Super Bowl contender to him.

This team is built to win now...they did not trade for CMac for the future...IMO if they win it this year it is easier because you can let Jimmy walk (he is gone no matter what IMO), go with Lance and all is good...if they don't win it things get dicey because while Lance needs to play the Niners are in absolute win now mode...will be real interesting to watch this unfold and I am 100% serious that if the Niners don't win it this year than the TB12 rumors will be front and center...it is a perfect match for many reasons on both sides and it may be the one way you can justify having Lance sit another year without killing the kids psyche...other than that they go with Lance and bring in a quality vet that they can win with if Lance gets overwhelmed.
This is probably the correct take.

The 49ers built their cap strategy around having a starting QB on a rookie deal. They re-signed Garoppolo when there was no trade market and could lower his cap hit. I do not expect Garoppolo to be re-signed for 2023. They have Bosa's contract extension, first and foremost, and they need to develop Lance and assess if his 5th year option should be picked up.

Like I said last year, they should just trade Lance and recoup whatever draft picks they can get for him.
That would require a mea culpa by the 49ers FO, which is as likely as a rainstorm on the sun.

They have an easy way out now that they traded for CMC, they can say they are focused on winning now. Of course what they should do and what they end up doing could be completely different things.

He has to play. He's played to little football in his career to sit out another season.
Come on man
No one is joking here.

In Trey Lance's entire college, pro and hell we'll even throw in his high school career he's attempted a grand total of 519 passes. Think about that.

When the 2023 season begins Trey Lance will have started 5 football games since 2019 and will have attempted a grand total of 132 passes since 2019.

All that is exactly why they aren’t going to blindly turn over the keys to a Super Bowl contender to him.
The problem with your rationale is that they already did what you are saying they won't do. He just got injured.
They kept maybe the best backup QB in the league on the roster this year.

Come on man
No one is joking here.

The problem with your rationale is that they already did what you are saying they won't do. He just got injured.

A. As the clear cut backup, not competition.

B. When no one would give them anything for him and he took a major pay cut.

As a 49er fan, hoping for the best regardless of who plays QB. Jimmy has looked really good the last few weeks and not throwing any picks for 3 games is a huge step forward. If that continues, Shanahan will throw the ball more on early downs and the offense will flourish. It was frustrating as a fan to wait for Jimmy to throw the meathead pick and turn victory into defeat. I can imagine it's tenfold for Kyle.

Having CMC is huge, especially on the 3rd and shorts. A little flip out in the flat and they are moving the chains. Much easier than trying to fit every pass into a tight window.

Speaking Wednesday, 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said Trey Lance is "right on schedule" in his recovery from ankle surgery.​

“I don’t think he’s running,” Shanahan said. “I know he is out of the boot, walking around well. I’m not sure exactly where he is at in that, but he’s not going real hard at it yet.” Shanahan added "I’ve not been told there’s a chance" Lance returns for the postseason. Even were Lance to get the go-ahead sometime between now and the Wild Card Round, there is a zero percent chance the 49ers would bench Jimmy Garoppolo and disrupt the offense's flow. We do still expect Lance to be the Niners' 2023 Week 1 starter.
SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Nov 23, 2022, 11:38 PM ET

Of course, we’re saying all this with the assumption that Lance will be 100% healthy.
Reportedly he’s on track.
I think he’s more on schedule ;)

Come on man
No one is joking here.

A. As the clear cut backup, not competition.

B. When no one would give them anything for him and he took a major pay cut.
They’ll want the same type of backup plan next year. They might start with the presumption that Lance is the starter depending on who else is on the roster, but I don’t think he is going to have the same leash and he’s going to have to show something to keep it. If you think they are just handing him the job no questions asked, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

When you think about that fact that Carolina could have had a Jimmy and CMC in their backfield but instead went for Baker, that ultimately that decision is probably why Rhule will be coaching in a cornfield next year and not the NFL.
Just signed an 8 year deal to coach in Lincoln and still being paid by the Panthers - guess he’s getting the last laugh.

When you think about that fact that Carolina could have had a Jimmy and CMC in their backfield but instead went for Baker, that ultimately that decision is probably why Rhule will be coaching in a cornfield next year and not the NFL.
Just signed an 8 year deal to coach in Lincoln and still being paid by the Panthers - guess he’s getting the last laugh.
I doubt he wanted to get fired and his Panther contract has offset language.

They aren't trading Lance lol
Never say never. Situations change.
They aren't trading a 22 year old QB with great physical talent, who is apparently very smart as well. Plus, puts in the work.

That's not to say he won't sit another year. If they don't win the super bowl this year, I suspect Mr. Brady will be their QB next year. Everything is set up for it. Just watch

The blossoming of Justin Fields should reinforce SF's initial assessment of Lance.
Fields is a great example of having to be patient with a young QB and let him play. The Fields is a bust narrative has died down dramatically from week 5

Remember when Josh Allen was "trash" according to a certain all pro DB? Took him 2 seasons to "get it". Same with Jalen Hurts. Not everyone is a star from the beginning like Mahomes. People need to relax on Lance.

They aren't trading Lance lol
Never say never. Situations change.
They aren't trading a 22 year old QB with great physical talent, who is apparently very smart as well. Plus, puts in the work.

That's not to say he won't sit another year. If they don't win the super bowl this year, I suspect Mr. Brady will be their QB next year. Everything is set up for it. Just watch
That depends whether Brady needs depends. I suppose that doesn't matter, but the smell may be unbearable.

The blossoming of Justin Fields should reinforce SF's initial assessment of Lance.
Fields is a great example of having to be patient with a young QB and let him play. The Fields is a bust narrative has died down dramatically from week 5

Remember when Josh Allen was "trash" according to a certain all pro DB? Took him 2 seasons to "get it". Same with Jalen Hurts. Not everyone is a star from the beginning like Mahomes. People need to relax on Lance.
Jalen Hurts is another guy who made significant improvements after not looking too promising. It can and has been done but there are certainly a lot of unknowns. Lance’s lack of college experience is another concerning hurdle he will need to overcome and also makes the situation more unique.

There’s tons of examples of QBs who took a few years to come into their own which counsel patience with Lance. I’m not sure I love this particular comp though because Lance just isn’t the same kind of athlete that Fields/Hurts/Lamar Jackson/Josh Allen are. (And Shanahan’s insistence on calling plays for Lance like he was is why he got hurt in the first place.)

..will be real interesting to watch this unfold and I am 100% serious that if the Niners don't win it this year than the TB12 rumors will be front and center...it is a perfect match for many reasons on both sides.

This is NEVER going to happen, let's nip this ridiculousness in the bud right now.

So tired of the Brady talk. We passed once and we would pass again, he's never gonna be a 49er. Ever.

No matter what some of yall think, Lance will be given the keys again next year and this will be his team. It's that simple.

There’s tons of examples of QBs who took a few years to come into their own which counsel patience with Lance. I’m not sure I love this particular comp though because Lance just isn’t the same kind of athlete that Fields/Hurts/Lamar Jackson/Josh Allen are. (And Shanahan’s insistence on calling plays for Lance like he was is why he got hurt in the first place.)
He is a really good athlete though and has more potential than all but maybe Allen as a passer IMO.

Watch a lot of Allen and really like him, but he needs to learn to slide because eventully he will get a major injury. I know he's a big, strong guy, but the defensive players are bigger and stronger. Same with Fields. Hurts seems to get it and has avoided big hits. Lamar is elustive as hell so hard for defenders to get a solid hit on him. Hopefully Lance learns quickly that exchanging hits with defensive players is a losing battle. I think he will.

..will be real interesting to watch this unfold and I am 100% serious that if the Niners don't win it this year than the TB12 rumors will be front and center...it is a perfect match for many reasons on both sides.

This is NEVER going to happen, let's nip this ridiculousness in the bud right now.

So tired of the Brady talk. We passed once and we would pass again, he's never gonna be a 49er. Ever.

No matter what some of yall think, Lance will be given the keys again next year and this will be his team. It's that simple.

Definitely not going to nip it in the bud...not saying it is going to happen but to not see the path for it to happen is having a closed mind...this is one of the most unique scenarios we have ever seen and the Niners have shown they will make bold moves so to take anything off the table makes no sense to me.

Ah no

If they don't win this year, Brady will be their QB in 2023 if the money can be worked out. Not sure if he is as willing to work below market value now that his 2nd income source is gone.

Also, passing on Brady was a mistake. Probably have that elusive 6th ring if they hadn't

This team is built to win now...they did not trade for CMac for the future..

It's both. Cmc is under contract with SF thru 2025, and he's just another piece that will help Lance like he's helping Jimmy. Since Cmc got there, Jimmy hasn't thrown a pick and now has a sure handed safety valve out of the backfield, and he's taking advantage of it and it shows in his stat sheet. Giving a young, inexperienced QB like Lance a guy like Cmc is one of the best things they could do for him. I don't see it as an all in move just for this season, they were also thinking of the future when they pulled the trigger.

If they don't win this year, Brady will be their QB in 2023 if the money can be worked out. Not sure if he is as willing to work below market value now that his 2nd income source is gone.

Also, passing on Brady was a mistake. Probably have that elusive 6th ring if they hadn't

Disagree 100% with all of this.

I don't think it was a mistake to pass on him the first time. It absolutely looked like Brady was on the decline at the time, the 49ers had just been to a SB, and they had Jimmys salary to deal with. Would they have a 6th ring had they signed Brady? Maybe, but I'd rather them have 5 rings and no Brady than 6 rings with him. I said what I said.

Also, I don't see them signing him at 45 or 46 years old when they passed on him at 41 or 42 or whatever is was. It would make them look desperate, and there's no way Shanahan is gonna abandon his hand picked QB and admit to the world he picked the wrong guy or that it was a bad pick. Lance will 100% be handed the keys next season, and theyll prob bring in a vet to be QB2 and push him in camp. If Lance fails, then Shanahan will have to deal with it, but Lance will be given every chance to prove Kyle right.

Brady is gonna retire after this season and work for Fox anyway, so this will all be moot.

Last edited:

It's both. Cmc is under contract with SF thru 2025, and he's just another piece that will help Lance like he's helping Jimmy. Since Cmc got there, Jimmy hasn't thrown a pick and now has a sure handed safety valve out of the backfield, and he's taking advantage of it and it shows in his stat sheet. Giving a young, inexperienced QB like Lance a guy like Cmc is one of the best things they could do for him. I don't see it as an all in move just for this season, they were also thinking of the future when they pulled the trigger.

I don't think it was a mistake to pass on him the first time. It absolutely looked like Brady was on the decline at the time, the 49ers had just been to a SB, and they had Jimmys salary to deal with. Would they have a 6th ring had they signed Brady? Maybe, but I'd rather them have 5 rings and no Brady than 6 rings with him. I said what I said.

Also, I don't see them signing him at 45 or 46 years old when they passed on him at 41 or 42 or whatever is was. It would make them look desperate, and there's no way Shanahan is gonna abandon his hand picked QB and admit to the world he picked the wrong guy or that it was a bad pick. Lance will 100% be handed the keys next season, and theyll prob bring in a vet to be QB2 and push him in camp. If Lance fails, then Shanahan will have to deal with it, but Lance will be given every chance to prove Kyle right.

Brady is gonna retire after this season and work for Fox anyway, so this will all be moot.
So, you don't like Brady and therefore they won't sign him, regardless of the outcome of this season? Got cha

Brady is not retiring unless the Bucs win the super bowl, which they won't. He didn't get divorced to work for Fox. He got divorced because he has no intention of quitting football while he is still a good NFL QB, which he is.

I'm not a big fan of signing Brady, but just think it will happen, especially if Jimmy has a meltdown in the playoffs again. Despite his 4-2 playoff record, he hasn't been very good in the big games. Kind of winning in spite of him with defense and a strong running game

So, you don't like Brady and therefore they won't sign him, regardless of the outcome of this season? Got Cha

Thats not what I said. I said they wont sign him because Shanahans ego wont let it happen. The fact that I think hes a POS is beside the point.

Brady is not retiring unless the Bucs win the super bowl, which they won't. He didn't get divorced to work for Fox. He got divorced because he has no intention of quitting football while he is still a good NFL QB, which he is.

Again, disagree 100%. Living in Tampa, I see and hear things about the Bucs and Brady 24/7, and I'd bet the farm he's not playing past this year, no matter how the rest of the season plays out. He can't wait to get out of the locker room and into a studio IMO.

So, you don't like Brady and therefore they won't sign him, regardless of the outcome of this season? Got cha

I'm not a big fan of signing Brady, but just think it will happen, especially if Jimmy has a meltdown in the playoffs again. Despite his 4-2 playoff record, he hasn't been very good in the big games. Kind of winning in spite of him with defense and a strong running game
Your hunch is just a hunch and a weak one at that. I’ll bet you and I get the Bucs and retirement and you can have the 49ers.

Your hunch is just a hunch and a weak one at that. I’ll bet you and I get the Bucs and retirement and you can have the 49ers.

I live in Tampa and see and hear a LOT of chatter.

We'll see.
You quoted me quoting @efactor As if my post you quoted was directed at you. :shrug:

Oh. I saw my part about Brady retiring bolded and thought you were addressing it. The way this forum nests posts, sometimes its hard to tell. My bad.

The Athletic's Matt Barrows reports Trey Lance underwent a successful second surgery on his right ankle Friday.​

Lance underwent surgery on Friday to remove hardware in his broken ankle, which is reported to have been a successful procedure. The irritation that Lance reportedly experienced in the ankle is hoped to be attributable to the hardware in the ankle and its proximity to tendons in the area. The timeline for recovery has not changed, putting Lance on track to return for OTAs in the 2023 season.
SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter
Dec 31, 2022, 7:50 PM ET

If the Colts were to hire Demeco Ryans as their HC, I wonder whether they may look into trading for Lance.

gotta admit as a Lance owner im definitely not feeling good about his prospects with SF....the further they go the less optimistic I get. At best I see a camp competition and even if Lance wins Purdy will be a bad game or 2 away from replacing him. Im not counting on him for 2023 at this point

gotta admit as a Lance owner im definitely not feeling good about his prospects with SF....the further they go the less optimistic I get. At best I see a camp competition and even if Lance wins Purdy will be a bad game or 2 away from replacing him. Im not counting on him for 2023 at this point

I own him everywhere and I feel the same

Especially because Lance has not looked good at all to this point (in limited experience). It's hard to imagine him beating out purdy

x3

What's baffling is that Lance seems to be the antithesis of Jimmy G and Purdy, with the latter two pocket passers with sharp accuracy that get the ball into their playmakers' hands and let them do the rest. On the contrary, Lance is a dynamo athlete that can create yards on his own, but clearly with accuracy issues.

Jimmy G and Purdy clearly fit that offense to a T. The only rationale reason to go away from that is the investment in Lance, but even if Purdy was the starter and Lance had to step in, the whole offensive scheme would change. Hard to imagine Shanahan would want to alter his offense to suit Lance, but he's the genius, not us.

x3

What's baffling is that Lance seems to be the antithesis of Jimmy G and Purdy, with the latter two pocket passers with sharp accuracy that get the ball into their playmakers' hands and let them do the rest. On the contrary, Lance is a dynamo athlete that can create yards on his own, but clearly with accuracy issues.

Jimmy G and Purdy clearly fit that offense to a T. The only rationale reason to go away from that is the investment in Lance, but even if Purdy was the starter and Lance had to step in, the whole offensive scheme would change. Hard to imagine Shanahan would want to alter his offense to suit Lance, but he's the genius, not us.

Couldn't agree with this more. Lance doesn't seem to fit the way they are built. He has not shown to be accurate nor a person that progresses through reads well. He's built to run and dance around in the pocket and throw it deep.

Users who are viewing this thread