What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QBBC: Did it work for you this year? (1 Viewer)

Blue-Kun

Footballguy
For you QBBC users, how did it work out? Did you hit on a break-out QB like Brees or nail a WW guy like Romo? Or were you struggling to come up with a viable week to week starter? Any data or QBBC patterns would be great.

Please include the full stable of QB used, draft positions or week to week breakdowns would also be great. :bag:

This year I went with QBBC in 2 of my 5 main leagues. One was 12 people (4 pt pass td), other was 14 (6 pt pass td). Here's how it worked for me.

League A

Round 8: Trent Green

Round 10: Drew Brees

Round 13: Byron Leftwich

WW Pick-Up's: Damon Huard and Charlie Frye

WK 1-2: Leftwich. Looked good and had decent matches, plus Green was hurt and I was freaking out. Had some meh weeks.

WK 3-4: Frye: I thought Baltimore was over hyped. I was wrong, but Frye excelled in his game. Next week had the Raiders. Nuff said.

WK 5: Leftwich: The Jets were ranked in the bottom half of the league against the pass.

WK 6: Brees: Had to fill my bye week and had a better gauge on how Brees was doing. He far exceeded expectations.

WK 7: Leftwich: It's the TEXANS! What could possibly go wrong? Meanwhile Huard puts up 2 TD and 0 INT.

WK 8: Huard: He looked legit at this point. Of course Brees goes off against Baltimore...

WK 9-15: Brees: Leftwich was hurt and Brees had played very well up to this point. He was obviously the breakout QB of the group and I decided to ride him.

This worked out well, I put too much stock into Leftwich though. I should've used Huard more when he was hot and trusted Brees earlier in the season. Still it worked pretty much as I had hoped, one of the 3 QB broke out and the few WW pick-up's were good week to week users. The plan had my QB's in the top 10 for most of the year.

League B

Round 11: Aaron Brooks

Round 12: Brad Johnson

Round 15: JP Losman

WW Pick-Up's: Rex Grossman and Jeff Garcia

QBBC gone wrong. Complete train-wreck. Brooks was worthless and hurt, Brad Johnson showed his age and his WR's performed even worse than expected. Grossman and Losman was looking to save the lot, but they both were on and off all season. Finally in my only bit of luck, I took Garcia as a homer move from his SF days and hoping he still had it. Thankfully he's been doing well since he started.

Last edited by a moderator:
7th: Delhomme

11th: Roethlisberger

WW: Rivers, VY, Hasselbeck

Didn't work out for me very good at all, which is apparent when seeing how neither one i drafted is on my team still

The rest of my team is good enough that it didn't really hurt me, but I probably could have had a better record than 8-5 if I had a every week starting QB

Rivers has been way too inconsistent, and he's really only had 2 good games the last 6-7 weeks (neither of which I played him in). I didn't get Hass until 2-3 weeks ago, so that doesn't do much, same with VY.

I think best thing to do is draft a QB rounds 5-6 that you know will be helping you out. I thought I got that in Delhomme, but aparently I was wrong. Drafting guys like Mannning, Palmer, or McNabb isn't bad, but it's only going to help you if you do it at the right time when the players you should be taking ahead of them are off the board.

I've been playing QBBC since McNabb wnet down with Garrard, A Smith, & Cutler. I am yet to pick the highest scoring of the 3 guys in any week. I try to play the best matchup each week & get burned. At least it only cost me 1 win & that was the meaningless regular season finale.

It's extrememely difficult to predict, I may switch to George Costanza's "do the opposite" theory.

I drafted:

Kurt Warner @ 6.12 (12th QB taken)

Steve McNair @ 11.1

Pretty much abandoned them by week 4 and went with waiver wire pickups rest of the season.

Here's who I started and how they did (1pt/50yds pass, 6pts TD, -3pts on Int & Fumble lost)

Week 1: Kurt Warner 21 pts won

Week 2: Steve McNair 5 pts lost

Week 3: Kurt Warner -1 pts lost

Week 4: Charlie Frye 15 pts won

Week 5: Damon Huard 5 pts won

Week 6: Jake Plummer 4 pts won

Week 7: Jake Plummer 4 pts lost

Week 8: Vince Young 15 pts won

Week 9: Damon Huard 9 pts won

Week 10: Tony Romo 18 pts lost

Week 11: Tony Romo -2 pts lost

Week 12: Tony Romo 36 pts won

Week 13: Tony Romo -1 pts lost

Week 14: Tony Romo 4 pts won (1st round of playoffs)

Week 15: Tony Romo 14 pts lost (semifinals - lost by one point)

Averaged 11.1 pts/game which was 4th best in my 12 team league.

Mixed experiences

Dynasty: Had Warner/Ben at the start. Horrible. Turned out better when Leinart took over. In the semi-finals this week.

Redraft: Started the year thinking Hass/Brooks could be a decent QBBC. I must have been drunk. Was able to pick up Romo though, and I am in the semi finals this week.

The biggest advantage of QBBC seems to be that you can take other positions first. How you do in the league will largely depend on how those picks panned out.

QBBC didn't really work out for me

8th - Brooks

11th - Plummer

Disasterous results, but grabbed Vick from the WW ( lot of vick haters in this league ) so it worked out well in the end.

For you QBBC users, how did it work out? Did you hit on a break-out QB like Brees or nail a WW guy like Romo? Or were you struggling to come up with a viable week to week starter? Any data or QBBC patterns would be great.Please include the full stable of QB used, draft positions or week to week breakdowns would also be great. :thumbup:This year I went with QBBC in 2 of my 5 main leagues. One was 12 people (4 pt pass td), other was 14 (6 pt pass td). Here's how it worked for me.League ARound 8: Trent GreenRound 10: Drew Brees Round 13: Byron LeftwichWW Pick-Up's: Damon Huard and Charlie FryeWK 1-2: Leftwich. Looked good and had decent matches, plus Green was hurt and I was freaking out. Had some meh weeks.WK 3-4: Frye: I thought Baltimore was over hyped. I was wrong, but Frye excelled in his game. Next week had the Raiders. Nuff said. WK 5: Leftwich: The Jets were ranked in the bottom half of the league against the pass.WK 6: Brees: Had to fill my bye week and had a better gauge on how Brees was doing. He far exceeded expectations.WK 7: Leftwich: It's the TEXANS! What could possibly go wrong? Meanwhile Huard puts up 2 TD and 0 INT.WK 8: Huard: He looked legit at this point. Of course Brees goes off against Baltimore...WK 9-15: Brees: Leftwich was hurt and Brees had played very well up to this point. He was obviously the breakout QB of the group and I decided to ride him. This worked out well, I put too much stock into Leftwich though. I should've used Huard more when he was hot and trusted Brees earlier in the season. Still it worked pretty much as I had hoped, one of the 3 QB broke out and the few WW pick-up's were good week to week users. The plan had my QB's in the top 10 for most of the year.League BRound 11: Aaron BrooksRound 12: Brad JohnsonRound 15: JP LosmanWW Pick-Up's: Rex Grossman and Jeff GarciaQBBC gone wrong. Complete train-wreck. Brooks was worthless and hurt, Brad Johnson showed his age and his WR's performed even worse than expected. Grossman and Losman was looking to save the lot, but they both were on and off all season. Finally in my only bit of luck, I took Garcia as a homer move from his SF days and hoping he still had it. Thankfully he's been doing well since he started.
This year having Manning was much better. Not only did he carry me to the SB in my leagues, I didn't get stuck with the lemons I could have picked up such as, Caddy, Lamont, Tiki, Edge and some others. The only guy worth picking up in teh 1st round (as rated) was Steven Jackson and the top 2 picks in LT2 and Larry J. Portis and Alexander injuries hurt those choices.

I drafted: Aaron Brooks, Mark Brunell, Jon Kitna

I promptly dropped Aaron Brooks and Mark Brunell.

Overall it worked well for me, but that's only because I picked up Grossman off the waiver wire & rode the Kitna/Grossman train on and off. I then picked up Garcia down the stretch.

In short, it would have sucked if there weren't any decent QB prospect on the wire, but I figured I'd get a shot at a couple and it worked out well. Either way, I'm a big fan of the QBBC. It usually works out pretty well for me.

The pre season QBBC names didn't workout so well, but that didn't mean that you could not put together a QBBC off the wire this year.

I still think it's the way to go.

To start the year I had Culpepper and Brooks... you know how that ended up.

I shuffled in guys like Alex Smith, David Carr and Vince Young. A few weeks I was lucky to have my QB get me 6 points or more.

Finally picked up Senneca Wallace and won some games, then moved back to Vince Young and Cutler as a backup.

I ended up missing the playoffs by one game and won six straight, but the early part of the season playing mixand match with Carr, Alex Smith and Vince Young tanked my season.

Drafted Delhomme and Chris Sims

When Sims got hurt I picked up Pennington - Missed picking up Brees.

After a few weeks I picked up McNair.

Missed picking up Romo.

After Mcnabb got hurt picked up Garcia.

I am playing for 3rd place.

Plummer and Bledsoe for me. Worst record in the league. I probably waited too long (Week 3 or 4) to dump them. Missed out on Brees, Grossman, Rivers, etc. Ended up with Kitna, but he didn't do much for me. I have no doubt that i will draft Carson Palmer next year. I won't spend the pick to get Manning, but I'll take the next best thing.

My QBBC was amusing, to say the least.

Auction draft (10 teams), $100 cap

Drafted Warner-$2 (2 starts), Plummer-$1 (1 start) and Brooks-$1

Spent about 65% on RBs, including 42 on LT2. Also got both Carolina guys, Kevin Jones and later traded for the Bells.

Along the way, I picked up Kitna (7 starts), Carr (2), Brunell, Losman, Harrington (1) and Young (2).

My team leads the league in scoring, finished 7-6 in the regular season and lost in the 1st round of the playoffs, but not because of QB (VY had a very solid 20pts).

In QB scoring, my team is 8th with 212 pts...1st has 301. My team is first in RB scoring with 700 (2nd highest has 552!!!). Also 8th at WR with Boldin/Branch for most of the year. I was burned by Randy Moss.

So, I'm pretty happy with the QBBC strategy, despite the crappyness of the ones I drafted. The goal of QBBC is to stock up on the other spots (especially RB) and hope you can get by at QB. Mission accomplished.

FWIW, I'm probably starting Losman in the Toilet Bowl this week. He'll be my 7th starting QB!!! :thumbdown:

Went QBBC in all three of my re-drafts and had no shot in any of them:

League 1:

Warner - round 7

Favre - round 10

Brooks - round 11

Leinart - round 15

Losman - WW

Outcome: went with Favre most of the year, who was up and down.

2:

Warner - round 7

Trent Green - round 12

Leinart - round 14

Grossman - WW

Outlook - always seemed to play the wrong guy between Leinart/Grossman.

3:

Culpepper - round 7

Warner - round 9

Leinart - round 16

Favre - WW

Used Favre when I got him after like week 4 or whatever.

Ultimate outcome:

Essentially I thought going with the Arizona QB combo would produce the most points per round I could grab a QB. Figured w/ Fitz and Boldin's projected production, by default the starting QB there would be an 8th round steal. I was ecstatic to land the Warner/Leinart combo in every draft where I did. I just made an error on my projections. Don't really fault strategy though as I'd do the same thing over again.

The one league I did this in, it ended badly. I had Kitna, Brooks and Gradkowski. With -2 per INT, -2 per FUM and -1 per sack Kitna was a disaster.

Wow. That's painful on a lot of levels. Still, it points to how terrible a QBBC can get. On an opposite note, here's how QBBC would look if you got a solid selection from the draft and WW. Let's say you took Grossman, Favre and Kitna in the draft and then picked up / traded small for Brees and Romo later on.

BTW, here's about how well it could've gone had you had infinite roster space, psychic and kept adding and dropping guys (being reasonable. no Alex Smith or random mc random picks other than huard).

WK1: Kurt Warner 33.1 pts (QB2)

WK2: Rex Grossman 38.5 pts (QB1)

WK3: Favre 34.5 pts (QB2)

WK4: Kitna 26 pts (QB6)

WK5: Huard 26.3 pts (QB4)

WK6: Drew Brees 31.8 pts (QB3)

WK7: Kitna 33.2 pts (QB4)

WK8: Brees 37.8 (QB3)

WK9: Brees 34.6 (QB1)

WK10: Favre 29.2 pts (QB6)

WK11: Brees 37.5 (QB1)

WK12: VY or Romo: 37.4 or 44.9 (QB 1-2)

WK13: Garcia 34.8 (QB2)

WK14: Brees 48.6 (QB1)

WK15: Grossman 29 (QB6)

So theoretically, you could've far outscored Peyton with 513pts. :goodposting: :rolleyes:

Still, combine the list with total points scored this year and it generally points to Grossman, Favre, Kitna and Brees were the best choices for a QBBC this year.

So assume Favre, Kitna and Brees and you could've had.

QB17, QB1, QB2, QB6, QB7, QB4, QB4, QB3, QB1, QB6, QB1, QB5, QB13, QB1, QB22.

In exchange for 3 draft picks starting in round 9/10 and later. However as stated above, it can lead to total disaster.

I am not sure of the exact QBBC rules but I went.

Vick 9.12

Roeth 11.12

Vick 9.03

Plummer 13.10

Vick 9.01

Left 13.01

Needless to say I stated Vick every week. Top 3 QB in each league.

My other league was more interesting with 16 player rosters.

Drafted

A. Brooks

Roeth.

Week 1

Brooks -2.03 Won regardless.

Week 2

Drop Brooks pick up Alex Smith

A. Smith 13.2 Win by 1 point

Week 3

Drop Roeth pick up Favre

Favre 30.18 Win

Week 4

Favre 2.2 Win

Week 5

Favre 8.8 Win

Week 6

Pick up Brunell

Brunell 11.5 Win

Week 7

Favre 13.4 Loss

Week 8

Favre 16.8 Win

Week 9

Favre 9.5 Loss by 2

Week 10

Pick up Romo

Romo 20.9 Win

Week 11

Romo 4.29 Win

Week 12

Romo 30.9 Win

Week 13

Romo 6.1 Win

Week 14 Playoffs

Romo 8.0 Win

Week 15 Playoffs

Romo 14.8 Win

Overall my QBBC average was 12.5, which is slightly ahead of Palmer/Bulger production, but still behind Brees, Manning, Vick, and even though he has been on the shelf a while, McNabb.

Last team in a 25 player 12 team dynasty league I went Plummer and Green, Green got hurt, Plummer was terrible and I picked up Huard. Through 6 weeks I was 3-3. I offered Driver for Bulger he offered Brees for Driver, and he has been my starter since.

Draft Favre and Warner

Cut Favre week 1 or 2 added Alex Smith, brought in Leinart as well.

Added Harrington and VY at some point, won in the first round of the playoffs with Pennington last week.

Not sure between Leinart, Harrington, or Penny this week.

All of this is made irrelevant because I drafted Tomlinson #1.

I've been on the QBBC since McNabb went down. I had Rothlisberger as my back-up, got VY when McNabb went down and picked up Cutler as soon as they started hinting heavily that he'd be starting soon. I haven't have the guts to start Cultler yet, but I've managed to dodge the bullets with Vince and Ben. I had to win the last three games of the season with those two as it turned out. I held off a guy for the last playoff spot and had the good sense to start Ben over Vince for the first round of the playoffs. That got me to the Bowl this week. If Javon Walker's shoulder is OK, I think Culter gets to play this week for it all.

I drafted Green, Brooks, and Kitna. I only drafted Kitna because I realized in the the 16th round that Green and Brooks both had week three byes. After Green and Brooks got hurt made a trade for Plummer. I think I started Kitna in 12 of the 15 weeks so it did not end up as much of QBBC.

I got a wildcard at 8-5 and made the finals so I can not complain too much. I'm debating whether to stick with Kitna for the finals or go with Rattay or Cutler.

1) Drafted ARI Team QB late

Result: Dropped when Warner got benched.

Picked up\dropped Rivers\Carr\Brunell in Weeks 4-6. Ended up picking up Brees in Week 7 (sweated out WW Claims or I was SOL). We have small rosters so sometimes you have to make tough drop\add decisions and I lucked out getting him after someone had to drop him.

2) Drafted Culpepper in 7th & I think Brooks later

Result: Dropped Brooks early and CPepp about a week or two later.

Revolving door WW pickups incl Carr, ASmith...ended up sticking with Roethlisberger and McNair the last 6-7 weeks.

3) Drafted Culpepper in 7th and Vick in 8th (or 9th, can't remember)

Result: Ditched Daunte after a week or 2 and rode Vick. Also picked up Bulger.

Ironically, I'm in the Week 16 Championship Game in all three leagues.

In my keeper league, I had no QB worth keeping (we keep 7) going in, so I decided to go QBBC. I acquired Brett Favre for essentially nothing, and then drafted Aaron Brooks and Philip Rivers in the 2nd round to roll with a QBBC of Brooks, Favre, Rivers (one of Chase's perceived top combinations).

Ick. That first week where they all stunk pretty much killed that. Once I saw what a trainwreck Oakland was going to be, and knowing that Brooks was supposed to be the anchor of the QBBC, I knew I had to cut bait on the QBBC.

Traded Cadillac and Rivers for Carson Palmer. I'm in the Finals this week. And I have no ulcers from trying to pick the right QB each week. :goodposting:

I understand the theory behind the QBBC, and I see how it can work, but it just wasn't for me.

Users who are viewing this thread