What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Questions about Covid (1 Viewer)

Do you realize there are other infections with immunologic sequelae, some with biphasic illness analogous to covid-19? While it sounds good on paper, immunotherapy hasn’t been a mainstay of treating many infections. That's not to say there is no role for novel or repurposed therapies, and many are being investigated. The NIH has a nice summary of many of them here.

And I don’t think the FDA is quashing any cheap, effective immunotherapy. Heck, the mainstay of treating severe covid is dexamethasone.

Yes I do, and we have had enormous success treating thousands of Long COVID patients with an immunologic approach combined with a statin.  We have also had success treating patients with post lyme, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and MECFS with a similar approach.  

We’re already having trouble keeping up with demand for testing, and strain typing isn’t part of routine clinical practice, as it doesn’t change management one iota. Plus it costs money.

What do you hope to gain, personally and collectively, from more extensive data on omicron’s fatality rate?
I don't hope to gain anything. Just questioning the lack of data and trying to understand why.

If they were able to confirm the first ever omicron death, why haven't any others been confirmed?

I agree there are limits to absorbing information and I am not faulting you for not addressing each and and every podcast that is released.  However, I watched the first two hours of the Malone podcast and as I said above, he is impeccably credentialed and comes off as being very credible.  He brings up many points about inadequate safety studies and motivations for hospitals that really make me wonder what's going on here. 
Fair enough. When his thoughts appears in a reputable forum, I’ll address them. JRE isn’t that.

I don't hope to gain anything. Just questioning the lack of data and trying to understand why.

If they were able to confirm the first ever omicron death, why haven't any others been confirmed?
Because strain testing isn’t done routinely. That doesn’t mean it’s never done, or can’t be inferred from standard tests.

But it really is immaterial from a clinical perspective.

Yes I do, and we have had enormous success treating thousands of Long COVID patients with an immunologic approach combined with a statin.  We have also had success treating patients with post lyme, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and MECFS with a similar approach.  
Great. Publish your results in a peer-reviewed journal, and have them duplicated in multicenter prospective clinical trials.

How many have died after being reinfected after having a previous infection but without a vaccine?

Zero? Doubtful, but what is it? Wouldn't that be an important number to know?
No idea. Also don’t think it’s critical to find out. What would you do with that information?

ETA Intellectual curiosity is great, but we have limited resources to invest in stat gathering, so there should be utility to the data we collect.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of these macro questions are fascinating, but ever since the start of the pandemic I have been wondering something on a more personal level: The one thing I know for sure is that I have never had symptomatic Covid, but how many close calls have I had? Was I ever an asymptomatic positive? Was I a close contact with someone who didn't give it to me? Did I ever walk into a room a couple minutes after a symptomatic person walked out, and if the timing had been slightly different I would have gotten exposed?

Obviously I'll never know the answer to any of these questions, but man I would love to find out.

Can't speak to Maraviroc, as I haven't seen a single study on it (maybe there are some, IDK), but ivermectin has yet to produce a SINGLE large scale study proving it's benefit. Last I saw, there were still one or two ongoing, but the largest one showing any conclusive benefit was removed from publication because they fudged the numbers. The few doctors that I personally have seen "vilified" in social media  was because they were pushing something that had not been proven to show benefit other than anecdotal evidence, as we know is sometimes JUST anecdote. :shrug:  
Trials fail for many reasons and a failed trial doesn't necessarily mean that drug isn't useful for the affliction being investigated.  By the same token, trials that achieve a p-value <0.05 don't guarantee that the drug works.  Personally, I think in the time of a pandemic, more leeway should be given to small companies that don't have the resources to run thousand+ person trials but have approaches that are supported by peer reviewed publications and anecdotal evidence.  

RavenFan said:
Hospital in Maryland are cancelling elective surgeries because the unvaccinated are crashing our healthcare system.  And Maryland is 70% fully vaxxed.

It's truly a pandemic of the unvaccinated. 
Link?

All of these macro questions are fascinating, but ever since the start of the pandemic I have been wondering something on a more personal level: The one thing I know for sure is that I have never had symptomatic Covid, but how many close calls have I had? Was I ever an asymptomatic positive? Was I a close contact with someone who didn't give it to me? Did I ever walk into a room a couple minutes after a symptomatic person walked out, and if the timing had been slightly different I would have gotten exposed?

Obviously I'll never know the answer to any of these questions, but man I would love to find out.
That brings up another question. Can some people just never get infected from covid?

Not to speak for @Terminalxylem, but the reason I take very little credence from podcasts, YouTube interviews, etc. is because most of them come off like salesmen, IMO. Fast talking and saying what people want to hear. But when you try to dig into what they are saying, there isn't much substantiating data behind it. And sometimes, it's straight up false information they're peddling. Not all, of course. I'm sure some of them are accurate. But therein lies the problem. Unless they are providing studies, links, etc. to back up what they're saying, well... it's just talk. 
I find podcasts and long form interviews the best way to get information assuming the guest or host has some expertise in said subject. The longer some talks the easier it is to spot intentions/bias/expertise.  I agree it can be hard to filter through all the info, but I like to hear as much as I can on both sides of an issue.  For example, Terminalxylem posted a name of a doctor that has debunks the JRE Dr. Peter McCullough podcast.  I googled it and just spent an hour watching it.  I took some good stuff away just like I did from the McCollough podcast.  Essentially I created my own debate, because it’s not happening anywhere else.  It helps me form my opinions. 

What's the issue listening to these doctors?  Please be specific in your criticism.
Several of their claims have been shown to be wrong and misleading - plus concerns about financial and political motives behind their claims.  You can find several articles or long form podcasts outlining these things.

And all these comments about nobody is talking about therapeutics IS a conspiracy.  There’s been tons of discussion and debate about it.  Every major paper, media outlet and as we see with Rohan, podcaster, is talking about it.  

But COVID is a two stage disease with the second immunologic stage being the main cause of the morbidity and mortality in patients.  Re-regulating the body's immune response seems to be key to lowering mortality in critical/severe COVID.  It certainly is the key to helping people with Long COVID.  And therein lies my point--there are approved, cheap therapeutics that can be repurposed to help critical/severe patients but they have been dismissed vigorously by the FDA etc in favor of an approach solely relying on vaccines.  The right approach is to have both vaccines and therapeutics.
I wonder where you got this ridiculousness.  No one "re-regulates" this stuff.  What you are saying basically nonsense, much like the "tech talk" on shows like Star Trek.

It's not what they have but what they don't have. Look at my OP. Can either of those be answered? I think it would be informative if they could.
Sorry....was going by this....which they have:

Anarchy99 said:
 Hospitalizations and fatalities numbers are what should be getting reported, and those numbers have always been hard to come by. 

That's the reason I started this thread. There are so many opinions and changing of rules but it's really hard to just trust the CDC and WHO because there's still so many unanswered questions because accurate stats aren't readily available. We're just supposed to trust, not verify.
If you want categorical breakdowns within those categories you're going to have a myriad of privacy issues to overcome legally plus the fact that we have thousands of decoupled "systems" across the country.  The privatization of our system makes this virtually impossible.

I wonder where you got this ridiculousness.  No one "re-regulates" this stuff.  What you are saying basically nonsense, much like the "tech talk" on shows like Star Trek.
You're the problem I am referring to.  Out of hand you, dismiss these peer reviewed findings as ridiculous and label my claims as nonsense without any proof.  I don't blame you for your ignorance and idiocy--you've simply been brainwashed into believing what you want to believe and apparently lash out at anyone who disagrees with your narrative.  Arrogance, as is often the case, is dangerous.

But if you really actually want to know, try this on.

He's just puffing himself up, the same way the British Nimrod who said vaccines cause autism did.  It's BS pure and simple.
Way different than the doctor who faked the autism results.  You will have to do better than provide a Facebook funded rebuke to convince me that Malone is a quack.  Big tech are part of the group who are trying to de-platform him.  Again, you've bought into the narrative to assassinate his character hook, line and sinker--but you haven't acknowledged the people writing these stories are being paid by big tech and have a vested interest to deny his claims.

Several of their claims have been shown to be wrong and misleading - plus concerns about financial and political motives behind their claims.  You can find several articles or long form podcasts outlining these things.

Again, I am speaking about Malone--he says he has no financial interest in the success or failure of vaccines.  If you show me he's lying about that, I will change my opinion quickly.  What I've found is that the people criticizing him have questionable motives.  I am open to the possibility I am wrong but haven't seen anything credible to prove it.

Again, I am speaking about Malone--he says he has no financial interest in the success or failure of vaccines.  If you show me he's lying about that, I will change my opinion quickly.  What I've found is that the people criticizing him have questionable motives.  I am open to the possibility I am wrong but haven't seen anything credible to prove it.
“What's the issue listening to these doctors?”

That was your question and what I replied to.  I could go back and split my answer out by each doctor but my main point is that a lot of what these two guys have said has been debunked by folks with knowledge in this area.  

Even if we assume Malone is telling the truth, what he says about the vaccine money conspiracy doesn’t make a lot of sense.  I think it’s been shown repeatedly that therapeutics are bigger money makers for these companies over vaccines.  What’s the conspiracy?

Additionally, vaccines are pre-infection, therapeutics are post-infection.  Nobody is pushing vaccines for those infected.  And every doctor is doing something for sick patients - how is pushing vaccines that have been shown to be effective and safe (in the vast majority of cases) a conspiracy?

“What's the issue listening to these doctors?”

That was your question and what I replied to.  I could go back and split my answer out by each doctor but my main point is that a lot of what these two guys have said has been debunked by folks with knowledge in this area.  
Link?  Many are saying this but no one has posted any credible sources attempting to debunk Malone.  One of his main claims is that the vaccines haven't been adequately tested on children and Pfizer's FDA submission was missing this info.  Show me that's wrong and I will back down.

I did see today that a Texas judge ordered the FDA to release the data it relied upon to approve the Pfizer vaccine.

Even if we assume Malone is telling the truth, what he says about the vaccine money conspiracy doesn’t make a lot of sense.  I think it’s been shown repeatedly that therapeutics are bigger money makers for these companies over vaccines.  What’s the conspiracy?

Additionally, vaccines are pre-infection, therapeutics are post-infection.  Nobody is pushing vaccines for those infected.  And every doctor is doing something for sick patients - how is pushing vaccines that have been shown to be effective and safe (in the vast majority of cases) a conspiracy?
Have you even watched the podcast?  If you have, you're badly mischaracterizing Malone's points.

Big pharma doesn't have a therapeutic solution.  

Link?  Many are saying this but no one has posted any credible sources attempting to debunk Malone.  One of his main claims is that the vaccines haven't been adequately tested on children and Pfizer's FDA submission was missing this info.  Show me that's wrong and I will back down.

I did see today that a Texas judge ordered the FDA to release the data it relied upon to approve the Pfizer vaccine.
I never said all his claims were wrong.  I don’t know if I’ve read anything specific about adequate testing on children but I’m not going to bother looking for it because the person I trust, my pediatrician, told me to get my kids vaccinated.  Not some guy who has espoused conspiracy theories.  Maybe he’s right about the testing.  When you throw enough crap against a wall eventually something will stick.

I did quickly find a Reuters article that addresses that point.  And FTR, we specifically discussed myocarditis with our pediatrician and as has been pointed out many times there has been more incidents of myocarditis in pediatric Covid patients than pediatric Covid vaccine recipients.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL1N2TM0QL

Have you even watched the podcast?  If you have, you're badly mischaracterizing Malone's points.

Big pharma doesn't have a therapeutic solution.  
Without even knowing his claims, I find it hard to believe nearly the entire scientific community worldwide is against Malone. Such a coordinated smear effort seems impossible. 

There are many covid therapeutics, include old, cheap drugs like dexamethasone, repurposed immunomodulators like tocilizumab and baracitinib and newer, expensive antivirals like like remdesivir and Paxlovid. And don’t forget about monoclonal antibodies. Read about authorized treatments here.

Against my better judgement, I read the transcript of the JRE Malone interview. I thought it would be less painful than listening, though I was incorrect.

Dr. Malone has legit credentials, but he's clearly gone off the deep end, and aligned himself with a cast of discredited scientists and conspiracy theorists. He comes off as a narcissist and con man, with phraseology reminiscent of our last POTUS. The Atlantic article linked upthread nicely summarizes many of these issues.

Rather than listing all my problems with his covid worldview, it would be easier to dissect specific assertions from the podcast. What claims made by Malone do people find compelling?  He pretty much regurgitates most of the misinformation we've already discussed. For starters, his commentary on hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin, the Great Barrington Declaration, natural vs. vaccine-induced immunity,  utility of boosters for omicron, risk of myocarditis, menstrual and fertility abnormalities associated with vaccination, ADE and monetary incentive for classifying covid deaths have already been addressed in multiple covid threads.

Sorry....was going by this....which they have:

If you want categorical breakdowns within those categories you're going to have a myriad of privacy issues to overcome legally plus the fact that we have thousands of decoupled "systems" across the country.  The privatization of our system makes this virtually impossible.
I think those are reasons why it would be difficult to do but not good enough reasons why they can't be done. Having accurate statistical breakdowns can only be beneficial, especially years down the road if another pandemic happens. I would hate to see this happen again and for people to say "oh, we should have started to get this together last time" The same goes for trying to find the origin of this. Clearly, the WHO failed to prevent this pandemic but a system should be in place to make sure it never happens again, or at least not to this extent. The next one might not be this mild. We would need a much faster response.

Here in Idaho, I can get a breakdown of every variant, with 8,726 cases of delta and currently 201 cases of omicron but can't find deaths by variant. Why is that? Maybe omicron isn't deadly at all. Maybe no one under 65 has died from it. That would be important info given the massive spread we are seeing. Without stats that are as accurate as possible, people are left to speculate and sometimes that's worse.

I think those are reasons why it would be difficult to do but not good enough reasons why they can't be done. Having accurate statistical breakdowns can only be beneficial, especially years down the road if another pandemic happens. I would hate to see this happen again and for people to say "oh, we should have started to get this together last time" The same goes for trying to find the origin of this. Clearly, the WHO failed to prevent this pandemic but a system should be in place to make sure it never happens again, or at least not to this extent. The next one might not be this mild. We would need a much faster response.

Here in Idaho, I can get a breakdown of every variant, with 8,726 cases of delta and currently 201 cases of omicron but can't find deaths by variant. Why is that? Maybe omicron isn't deadly at all. Maybe no one under 65 has died from it. That would be important info given the massive spread we are seeing. Without stats that are as accurate as possible, people are left to speculate and sometimes that's worse.
Because of our privacy laws as I said before.  To get to that level of detail in anything meaningful would require significant changes to our medical privacy laws.  

Because of our privacy laws as I said before.  To get to that level of detail in anything meaningful would require significant changes to our medical privacy laws.  
You don't have to link to personal information. Why are there positive case breakdowns but not death breakdowns? 

You don't have to link to personal information. Why are there positive case breakdowns but not death breakdowns? 
Cause of death is a privacy matter....as I've stated three times now.  Simply knowing positive/negative results to generic testing questions are not privacy issues.  Your issue here is with privacy law.  I'm just explaining the difference.

Cause of death is a privacy matter....as I've stated three times now.  Simply knowing positive/negative results to generic testing questions are not privacy issues.  Your issue here is with privacy law.  I'm just explaining the difference.
So how do we know if anyone died from covid? Wouldn't that be a privacy issue too?

Why isn't it broken down by variant?

So how do we know if anyone died from covid? Wouldn't that be a privacy issue too?

No....anything that can be found on the death certificate is public knowledge.  Details like you are looking for aren't found on death certificates.  The answer to your second question is because they don't take the time to break things down by variant and even if they did, that's a detail that isn't commonly disclosed on a death certificate.  

No....anything that can be found on the death certificate is public knowledge.  Details like you are looking for aren't found on death certificates.  The answer to your second question is because they don't take the time to break things down by variant and even if they did, that's a detail that isn't commonly disclosed on a death certificate.  
OK. You seem to accept that. I don't and think it would be an important distinction. Seeing the differences in the variants seems like it would be important to track.

Breaking down death by variant is not economically feasible.  They are not genetically sequencing each and every patient that tests positive for covid to see what variant they have.  One of the most frustrating things about this pandemic is that people just want to somehow “weaponize” the unknowable.  It’s a new disease that is rapidly mutating—it’s long term effects are still a question mark—and yet people expect to have all of the data and answers in front of them instantly.   I want to make clear that I’m not trying to attack you or come at you—I think you actually are asking some really good questions.  With that said—the reality of the situation is that there are clear reasons why your questions cannot be clearly answered right now.  The worlds doctors and scientists are more concerned about treating patients and trying to predict the virus’s next move more than they are satisfying peoples curiosities.  Our countries desire to collect covid data has been laughable at best.  This is why we are looking at data from Israel, South Africa and Europe as some of the guidelines of what to expect over here.  

OK. You seem to accept that. I don't and think it would be an important distinction. Seeing the differences in the variants seems like it would be important to track.
None of my answers are my opinion on this.  They are simply stating why things are the way they are.  Doesn't mean I agree or disagree with our current state of affairs.  If you're asking my opinion, then I would say there is a lot I see as "inept" from the healthcare industry as it's set up in this country and this is one of the minor problems and it's been primarily behaving as designed because of the legislators and big pharma companies.  

ETA:  That said, I have no idea why you think knowing the variant is useful in our current state.  Even if all the info was collected and sequencing done to provide that sort of detail, by the time it was collected from all the various input systems to provide meaningful answers, we'd likely be on to the next variant or the one after that.  This thing is changing way too fast to keep up with that sort of detail.  

Breaking down death by variant is not economically feasible.  They are not genetically sequencing each and every patient that tests positive for covid to see what variant they have.  One of the most frustrating things about this pandemic is that people just want to somehow “weaponize” the unknowable.  It’s a new disease that is rapidly mutating—it’s long term effects are still a question mark—and yet people expect to have all of the data and answers in front of them instantly.   I want to make clear that I’m not trying to attack you or come at you—I think you actually are asking some really good questions.  With that said—the reality of the situation is that there are clear reasons why your questions cannot be clearly answered right now.  The worlds doctors and scientists are more concerned about treating patients and trying to predict the virus’s next move more than they are satisfying peoples curiosities.  Our countries desire to collect covid data has been laughable at best.  This is why we are looking at data from Israel, South Africa and Europe as some of the guidelines of what to expect over here.  
Thanks!

As for being economically feasible, with the trillions of dollars being thrown around, that's something I don't find acceptable. 

If the bolded is true, how can I see covid positive totals broken down by variant?

And our dependence on foreign data is partly the reason I started this thread. It shouldn't be accepted. We should be leading the world in data  and information on this instead of depending on other countries for it.

None of my answers are my opinion on this.  They are simply stating why things are the way they are.  Doesn't mean I agree or disagree with our current state of affairs.  If you're asking my opinion, then I would say there is a lot I see as "inept" from the healthcare industry as it's set up in this country and this is one of the minor problems and it's been primarily behaving as designed because of the legislators and big pharma companies.  

ETA:  That said, I have no idea why you think knowing the variant is useful in our current state.  Even if all the info was collected and sequencing done to provide that sort of detail, by the time it was collected from all the various input systems to provide meaningful answers, we'd likely be on to the next variant or the one after that.  This thing is changing way too fast to keep up with that sort of detail.  
The bolded is what I'm getting at.

As for your ETA...what if no one under 65 has died from omicron? Do you not think that would maybe influence the discussion a bit?

The bolded is what I'm getting at.

As for your ETA...what if no one under 65 has died from omicron? Do you not think that would maybe influence the discussion a bit?
Well, to the bold, there's a solution, but requires "sides" coming together and we know that's not happening anytime soon.

My point in the edit is, you wouldn't have that answer until Omicron had come and gone....so, no, it wouldn't make a difference.  We are likely getting to the peak of Omicron in the next couple weeks.  The question is already becoming irrelevant.  If they somehow had the data by today, what would we possibly do different to affect Omicron problems in the next two weeks?

Simple Antibody test at Walgreens or CVS can detect previous infection. 

We've got about 2000 Americans dying Daily of Covid. 

Omicron has been the dominant strain in the US for nearly 3 weeks, and now is thought to account for over 90% of all infections. 

People are dying of the Omicron variant, but what variant they are dying of is irrelevant. 

Thanks!

As for being economically feasible, with the trillions of dollars being thrown around, that's something I don't find acceptable. 

If the bolded is true, how can I see covid positive totals broken down by variant?

And our dependence on foreign data is partly the reason I started this thread. It shouldn't be accepted. We should be leading the world in data  and information on this instead of depending on other countries for it.
How much does it cost to genetically sequence a case to determine variant? More importantly, how many man hours would this add to an already overwhelmed testing system. 

We currently have nearly a million new confirmed cases per day and testing is far far behind. 

Sequencing variants for every positive is a horrible use of extremely limited resources. 

Thanks!

The trillions of dollars that have been spent have not been all spent on data collection and direct treatment of the disease. A large majority of that money was spent on keeping businesses afloat, trying to keep markets in tact, and keeping healthcare systems from collapsing.   That’s just the reality—I would bet that only a tiny fraction of the money spent on covid is actually allocated towards data collection and contact tracing.   I agree that many aspects of how our country and the world have handled covid is not acceptable.  We are aligned in our thoughts there—but with that said the reality of the situation is going to be that many data driven questions about covid will not be able to be answered completely and accurately until we are further down the road.  

The covid positive totals that you see are not complete pictures.  They are confirmed cases that are a result of the random sampling of genetic sequencing that is being conducted.  The “actual” number versus the “confirmed” number of each variant will undoubtedly be canyons apart.  

This is why I started doing my “own” covid research many months ago.  Much of the data we are receiving tends to be a lagging indicator.   Weeks before mention of Omicron—in the other thread—I mentioned knowing somebody that was fully vaxxed, had covid recently—and managed to catch it again a month later.  It made me suspicious that another variant was probably here and spreading. Low and behold—a couple weeks later—we hear about Omicron.  Make no mistake—by the time you have “heard about it”—it’s already been here and circulating.   Unless we can get “real time accurate” data—even the snippets we are getting here and probably nothing more than insights in seeing general patterns of how the disease is trending at best in a lagging fashion. 

We've got about 2000 Americans dying Daily of Covid. 

Omicron has been the dominant strain in the US for nearly 3 weeks, and now is thought to account for over 90% of all infections. 

People are dying of the Omicron variant, but what variant they are dying of is irrelevant. 
I don't believe that death rates by variant are an irrelevant statistic, at least from a scientific standpoint. Maybe a shlub like me doesn't need to know but you can't say there isn't a benefit in an analysis of the differences in the variants. If they aren't keeping accurate records as they happen, due to funding or political differences, that is a failure. I could see it when Covid first came about, but 2 years in, this shouldn't be impossible.

I don't believe that death rates by variant are an irrelevant statistic, at least from a scientific standpoint. Maybe a shlub like me doesn't need to know but you can't say there isn't a benefit in an analysis of the differences in the variants. If they aren't keeping accurate records as they happen, due to funding or political differences, that is a failure. I could see it when Covid first came about, but 2 years in, this shouldn't be impossible.

I totally get the cost, ineptness and quickly moving factors but I'm with you - if we all of a sudden had the information that we have very, very small Omicron hospitalizations and deaths and also that a really large % of infections are Omicron then I do think that's valuable information.  But I get why it's probably impossible to get.

They ARE analyzing the differences in the variants... but the cost (Both manpower and fiscal) of securing data on EVERY case vs a Statistically significant sample isn't a good allocation of resources right now. 

Let's not forget this variant has only been prevalent for about 15 days at this point.  

I kind of wish I had done one before I got vaccinated, but at this point the antibody test wouldn't be able to distinguish between vaccination and previous infection, right?
I asked @Terminalxylem this a while back if such a test existed that would distinguish antibody type, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he told me it would require a specific lab test, but that could identify antibody type. So that said, I doubt the OTC tests will do that. 

Users who are viewing this thread