What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Racist rhetoric in public (2 Viewers)

I wore a "Buck Fush" Tshirt to GHW Bush's memorial service.  I just stood there being quiet.  People were very confrontational towards me and I had no idea why.  It was weird. 
Along those same lines, why do some people have a hissy fit when the Westboro Baptist Church shows up at a funeral for a gay man and are respectfully silent while holding signs that say "God hates ####"?

UNC Women's basketball coach is on leave after being accused of telling her players they would get “hanged from trees with nooses” at an upcoming game if their performance didn’t improve.   Another embarrassment for UNC

I would love to have a taco truck in my neighborhood and wouldn't try to chase them off.  :kicksrock:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/texas-womans-racist-rant-taco-truck-caught-video-ill-call-ice-174739449.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb

Texas woman's racist rant against taco truck caught on video: 'I'll call ICE'

While most people would be thrilled to see a taco truck outside their home, one Texas woman became enraged at the sight.

In a video posted to Youtube titled “racist woman talking about how she gonna call ICE ON US FOR SELLING FOOD IN DALLAS WHEN WE HAVE A PERMIT,” taco truck operator Claudia Lopez chronicles her altercation with a woman when she discovered the truck sitting on the street outside of her home. While the conflict originated in a tame manner, it soon escalated, eventually resulting in the woman threatening the immigration status of the truck employees.

Dressed in loose jeans and an inside-out V-neck shirt, the woman holds her cell phone in her hands and says “Please move,” while pointing her fingers down the street. She began to head back toward her house, but turned back around to start recording video on her cell phone.

One truck worker can be heard speaking in Spanish, while another says “go back inside.”

“Okay, baby girl. Vamanos,” the woman says. “I’ll call ICE.”

“Okay, call them. Okay? You can call them. Call them right now,” Lopez responds.

The woman, who had returned to the front steps of her home by then, then turns back around and starts to record video again.

As of Saturday afternoon, the video had already racked up almost 6,000 views on YouTube, and nearly 9,000 retweets on Twitter.

According to Raw Story, Lopez said she did have a permit to operate the taco truck in that location.

(video at link)

I would love to have a taco truck in my neighborhood and wouldn't try to chase them off.  :kicksrock:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/texas-womans-racist-rant-taco-truck-caught-video-ill-call-ice-174739449.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=fb

Texas woman's racist rant against taco truck caught on video: 'I'll call ICE'

While most people would be thrilled to see a taco truck outside their home, one Texas woman became enraged at the sight.

In a video posted to Youtube titled “racist woman talking about how she gonna call ICE ON US FOR SELLING FOOD IN DALLAS WHEN WE HAVE A PERMIT,” taco truck operator Claudia Lopez chronicles her altercation with a woman when she discovered the truck sitting on the street outside of her home. While the conflict originated in a tame manner, it soon escalated, eventually resulting in the woman threatening the immigration status of the truck employees.

Dressed in loose jeans and an inside-out V-neck shirt, the woman holds her cell phone in her hands and says “Please move,” while pointing her fingers down the street. She began to head back toward her house, but turned back around to start recording video on her cell phone.

One truck worker can be heard speaking in Spanish, while another says “go back inside.”

“Okay, baby girl. Vamanos,” the woman says. “I’ll call ICE.”

“Okay, call them. Okay? You can call them. Call them right now,” Lopez responds.

The woman, who had returned to the front steps of her home by then, then turns back around and starts to record video again.

As of Saturday afternoon, the video had already racked up almost 6,000 views on YouTube, and nearly 9,000 retweets on Twitter.

According to Raw Story, Lopez said she did have a permit to operate the taco truck in that location.

(video at link)
The Ugly American

A man named Holden Matthews was arrested for this
Glad they caught the pos. It didn’t receive national attention but last month a guy I had gone to HS was arrested here in Michigan for setting a series of fires at Arab American owned businesses.

And now we know the cause.  DEATH METAL MUSIC.  For #### sakes what is this 1985  :rolleyes:    

Yes because I am sure all of the death metal music specifically tells you to burn down not only churches but the black ones in specific.  Hell if music was really into church violence I guarantee those Joel Osteem BS mega churches would be the first on the list 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is a lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.

Mathew 17:15 if memory serves. 

I guess this is where this belongs?

GEORGIA MAYOR REPORTEDLY WON'T HIRE BLACK ADMINISTRATOR BECAUSE 'CITY ISN'T READY'

“I understood where she was coming from,” Councilman Jim Cleveland told the paper. “I understand Theresa saying that, simply because we’re not Atlanta. Things are different here than they are 50 miles down the road.” Noting that Hoschton is “a predominantly white community,” he said, “I don’t know how they would take it if we selected a black administrator. She might have been right.”

"I’m a Christian and my Christian beliefs are you don’t do interracial marriage. That’s the way I was brought up and that’s the way I believe,” he said. “I have black friends, I hired black people. But when it comes to all this stuff you see on TV, when you see blacks and whites together, it makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live."

Also, just as an aside:

“I understood where she was coming from,” Councilman Jim Cleveland told the paper. “I understand Theresa saying that, simply because we’re not Atlanta. Things are different here than they are 50 miles down the road.” Noting that Hoschton is “a predominantly straight community,” he said, “I don’t know how they would take it if we selected a gay administrator. She might have been right.”

"I’m a Christian and my Christian beliefs are you don’t do gay marriage. That’s the way I was brought up and that’s the way I believe,” he said. “I have gay friends, I hired gay people. But when it comes to all this stuff you see on TV, when you see two men or two women together, it makes my blood boil because that’s just not the way a Christian is supposed to live."
If he'd said this it potentially wouldn't have even made the news, much less left people wondering what the heck is going on.

Also, just as an aside:

If he'd said this it potentially wouldn't have even made the news, much less left people wondering what the heck is going on.
Wasn't there a recent Supreme Court case that allowed people to refuse to make a wedding cake for a gay couple due to religious reasons? Would this guy and like minded people be able to use that case to justify refusing to do business with inter-racial couples for religious reasons?

Also, just as an aside:

Wasn't there a recent Supreme Court case that allowed people to refuse to make a wedding cake for a gay couple due to religious reasons? Would this guy and like minded people be able to use that case to justify refusing to do business with inter-racial couples for religious reasons?
We were told that this was a ridiculous question to ask because people didn't think that way anymore.

We were told that this was a ridiculous question to ask because people didn't think that way anymore.
Well of course some good folks think that religious beliefs excuse all sorts of vileness and those who do think that really don't like to be reminded of it.

Proud Boys leader sitting right behind Trump at Miami rally.

Best part?  He's wearing a shirt that says "Roger Stone Did Nothing Wrong"   https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/43z4ab/the-proud-boys-new-leader-was-sitting-right-behind-trump-at-his-miami-rally?utm_source=reddit.com

Chat logs show Proud Boys planned on committing violence at rallies

The Proud Boys want the public to believe that they’re a “drinking club” who only resort to violence to defend themselves from anti-fascist protesters during political rallies.

But in private, these extremists have discussed injuring and even killing their adversaries, plotting tactics and optics for months in order to assert a claim of self-defense should they face charges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this belongs in this thread but here is body cam video from the guy in Colorado picking up trash 

https://www.9news.com/video/news/local/body-cam-video-shows-confrontation-between-boulder-police-officer-and-man-picking-up-trash/73-2a1bfc63-f050-4396-b060-061272256e5c

Officer goes to the "I feel threatened" line about 5 minutes in after witnessing the guy using the clamper to pick up trash on several occasions  
I think this incident has its own thread in the FFA so you might want to put it there too since I think that thread had a lot of posts. . 

UPenn study shows a significant decline in racism during the Trump era

https://www.worldtribune.com/survey-racial-prejudice-has-significantly-declined-in-trump-era/

Good news everybody
From the article

The study runs contrary to what corporate media have been reporting since Trump’s election, Ross Clark noted in a May 16 op-ed for Spectator USA.

“The election of Donald Trump has, of course, unleashed the latent racist which lurks within millions of Americans,” Clark wrote. “We know this because enlightened opinion keeps telling us so. The New Yorker, for example, ran a piece in November 2016 declaring ‘Hate on rise since Trump’s election’, and quoting a list of incidents collected by the Southern Poverty Law Center – including the experience of a girl in Colorado who was allegedly told by a white man: ‘Now that Trump is president I am going to shoot you and all the blacks I can find’. TIME magazine, too, ran a story in the same month announcing ‘Racist incidents are up since Donald Trump’s election’. In March 2017 the Nation asserted ‘Donald Trump’s rise has coincided with an explosion in hate groups’, claiming that 100 racist organizations had been founded since Trump began his presidential campaign.”

From the article

The study runs contrary to what corporate media have been reporting since Trump’s election, Ross Clark noted in a May 16 op-ed for Spectator USA.

“The election of Donald Trump has, of course, unleashed the latent racist which lurks within millions of Americans,” Clark wrote. “We know this because enlightened opinion keeps telling us so. The New Yorker, for example, ran a piece in November 2016 declaring ‘Hate on rise since Trump’s election’, and quoting a list of incidents collected by the Southern Poverty Law Center – including the experience of a girl in Colorado who was allegedly told by a white man: ‘Now that Trump is president I am going to shoot you and all the blacks I can find’. TIME magazine, too, ran a story in the same month announcing ‘Racist incidents are up since Donald Trump’s election’. In March 2017 the Nation asserted ‘Donald Trump’s rise has coincided with an explosion in hate groups’, claiming that 100 racist organizations had been founded since Trump began his presidential campaign.”
So many people buy into this false narrative.  Maybe it’s just that difficult to admit when they were wrong?  I feel sorry for them.  

Everywhere I look (except here) I see a renewed vigor in Americans to be better and do better.  

I actually think both are true. 

I think that anecdotes of hate crimes and rhetoric have risen as some of these people feel more free to reveal themselves as a result of Trump’s election and what they perceive about it. 

But I also believe that the vast majority of Americans are not racist and respond to racism and bigotry with revulsion, and that’s what the study shows. Incidentally, I think this revulsion will play a significant role in Trump’s defeat next year. 

knowledge dropper said:
I understand.  Events like #blexit and Ivy League research may shatter the core beliefs of some people.  That’s fine.  We will welcome late adopters on the train just like anyone else.  
To shatter my core beliefs I need to see more than one solitary poll. If you want to hang your hat on what may be an outlier, go ahead, but if another Ivy League research poll comes out in a week with a contrary finding, you will look rather foolish. Let's see if future polls can replicate these rather questionable findings.

To shatter my core beliefs I need to see more than one solitary poll. If you want to hang your hat on what may be an outlier, go ahead, but if another Ivy League research poll comes out in a week with a contrary finding, you will look rather foolish. Let's see if future polls can replicate these rather questionable findings.
Foolish?  For what?

Apparently they have been tracking opinions with a large group of Americans for some time.  It’s kind of cool that they can measure change over time at an individual level.  It’s not just a point-in-time poll.

Foolish?  For what?

Apparently they have been tracking opinions with a large group of Americans for some time.  It’s kind of cool that they can measure change over time at an individual level.  It’s not just a point-in-time poll.
It. Is. Still. Just. One. Poll.

knowledge dropper said:
I understand.  Events like #blexit and Ivy League research may shatter the core beliefs of some people.  That’s fine.  We will welcome late adopters on the train just like anyone else.  
Blexit?

I think you’re looking at this the wrong way. It’s good news, and I believe that it’s a reaction to Trump’s bigotry. The public is saying no. 
Daniel Hopkins, the professor who did the study said similar: there’s “a  longstanding tradition in political science that when the president moves in one direction, the public moves in the other direction.”

knowledge dropper said:
What's foolish is negating a single poll with another single poll.  If one came out saying the exact opposite and you put more weight in it than you did the initial, it simply shows confirmation bias is strong in you :shrug:  

I think you are going to see more and more polls like this as people roll up their sleeves and begin to shove the racist nonsense back under the rug.  Of course when it's all covered up they will then pat themselves on the back as if they did something meaningful.  Then another enabler rolls around and pulls back the rug to expose it all again...vicious circles and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread