What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raiders-Chargers to Share Carson CA Stadium? (1 Viewer)

JaxBill

Footballguy
From LA Times Sam Farmer

The San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders, rivals on the field, are moving forward together on a plan to build a $1.7-billion NFL stadium in Carson that they will share.

The Chargers and Raiders will continue to seek public subsidies for new stadiums in their home markets, but they are developing a detailed proposal for a privately financed Los Angeles venue in the event they can't get deals done in San Diego and Oakland by the end of this year, according to the teams.

In a statement given to The Times on Thursday, the Chargers and Raiders said: “We are pursuing this stadium option in Carson for one straightforward reason: If we cannot find a permanent solution in our home markets, we have no alternative but to preserve other options to guarantee the future economic viability of our franchises.”

The teams are working with “Carson2gether,” a group of business and labor leaders. The coalition will announce the project Friday at a news conference near the 168-acre site, a parcel at the southwest quadrant of the intersection of the 405 Freeway and Del Amo Boulevard.

They plan to immediately launch a petition drive for a ballot initiative to get voter approval to build the stadium.

This latest high-stakes move was precipitated by St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke, who announced in December his plan to build an 80,000-seat stadium on the land that used to be Hollywood Park.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nfl-stadium-20150220-story.html#page=1

Tough sell for Carson residents. On one hand, you get the laid back, free spending Chargers fans. On the other, you get the peeing on your lawn, riot inducing Raiders fans.

Tough sell for Carson residents. On one hand, you get the laid back, free spending Chargers fans. On the other, you get the peeing on your lawn, riot inducing Raiders fans.
You've never been to a Charger game, have you.

There will likely be lots of Raiders fans with a sense of misplaced pride who oppose this idea just because it's the Chargers. Put that aside and understand that this is realistically the team's best chance to become financially viable and possibly even relevant again.

Chargers should have a bond measure on the ballot to raise some of the funds for a new stadium.

I just don't see a viable situation for the Raiders anytime soon if the Rams plan comes to fruition.

Chargers, Raiders, Rams, Bills, Jags, Vikings... I think every city being blackmailed by the NFL should invite the NFL to move the team LA. LA will go from having no team in the league to an entire division. Maybe a conference. Let's see how that works out for the league.

So tired of the NFL using LA as the anvil for multibillionaire owners to hammer fans for tax dollars and tax breaks to help pay their multimillionaire employees. The game is unwatchable in person anyway because of the five minute commercial breaks. Go support your local highschool team if you want to see a game in person. Tell the nonprofit NFL to go pound sand in LA if they want. The NFL is a made for TV product these days so does it even matter where the games are played?

If these teams are bleeding money because of the stadiums they use eight days out of the year is it safe to assume all these teams are up for sale? Cheap, I would imagine.

Chargers should have a bond measure on the ballot to raise some of the funds for a new stadium.

I just don't see a viable situation for the Raiders anytime soon if the Rams plan comes to fruition.
I was thinking this plan was to block the Rams move since them moving to LA hurts both Raiders and Chargers given their present circumstances.

I was thinking this plan was to block the Rams move since them moving to LA hurts both Raiders and Chargers given their present circumstances.
Don't see how this would work - SD fans don't want to drive to Carson and LA fans don't want to drive there either.

Don't see how this would work - SD fans don't want to drive to Carson and LA fans don't want to drive there either.
... Yet the fans of 31 NFL teams wouldn't mind if raider fans were in Carson. Or Folsom. Vacaville. Crescent City might be best.

Chargers, Raiders, Rams, Bills, Jags, Vikings... I think every city being blackmailed by the NFL should invite the NFL to move the team LA. LA will go from having no team in the league to an entire division. Maybe a conference. Let's see how that works out for the league.

So tired of the NFL using LA as the anvil for multibillionaire owners to hammer fans for tax dollars and tax breaks to help pay their multimillionaire employees. The game is unwatchable in person anyway because of the five minute commercial breaks. Go support your local highschool team if you want to see a game in person. Tell the nonprofit NFL to go pound sand in LA if they want. The NFL is a made for TV product these days so does it even matter where the games are played?

If these teams are bleeding money because of the stadiums they use eight days out of the year is it safe to assume all these teams are up for sale? Cheap, I would imagine.
The tax payers suffer the most.

Serious question from someone unfamiliar with the lay of the Southern California land - Even if they (the Chargers) received a new stadium in San Diego, how much would Kronke's plan to move the Rams to his new stadium in LA hurt the Chargers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh please this argument is tired, Alot of teams have a troublesome fans so stop stereotyping ...

Serious question from someone unfamiliar with the lay of the Southern California land - Even if they (the Chargers) received a new stadium in San Diego, how much would Kronke's plan to move the Rams to his new stadium in LA hurt the Chargers?
its reported that 25% of the chargers ticket sales come from Orange County & LA

So if they have a closer product, it would be signficicant.

Also having the teams face each other in the same stadium twice a year would be weird

I get sharing a stadium with a tram from the other conference but these teams are in the division. They'll have their offices in the same building? Bellichek wouldn't even have to try to spy if he shared a stadium with the Ravens.

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 12m12 minutes ago
Just told that there has been no discussion at all about either #Raiders or #Chargers moving to NFC

5 minutes ago
What in the world does that have to do with anything? Why would either team moving to the NFC be necessary, let alone even the vaguest possibility?
As noted above, you'd have division opponents sharing a facility.

More importantly I think are the TV dollars. Who does the LA CBS affiliate show if both teams have a 430 game against an AFC team?

eta: And you gotta think Fox would want a piece of the LA market.

This has to be the weirdest stadium proposal I have ever seen. LA is going to go from not being able to support one team to trying to support 2-3? Raiders and Chargers fan bases do not like each other and couldn't be more different yet they are going to group-share a stadium while competing in the same division?

The whole thing screams desperation. Two sorry ownership groups trying to be relevant.

If these two teams build a PRIVATELY FINANCED stadium, as is reported in the OP, how are they suffering?

This has to be the weirdest stadium proposal I have ever seen. LA is going to go from not being able to support one team to trying to support 2-3? Raiders and Chargers fan bases do not like each other and couldn't be more different yet they are going to group-share a stadium while competing in the same division?

The whole thing screams desperation. Two sorry ownership groups trying to be relevant.
I'm just waiting for inevitable Raiders heel turn and put the Chargers through a table to start the LA World Order with the Rams.

You don't seem to have a handle on LA's geography. This site would be easily accessible via the 110 or 405. We're used to driving 30+ minutes to get to places here in LA. This site would be just fine for LA fans.

SD and Oak fans would be screwed, yes. But I have little pity for either fanbase, since they don't want to help with public funds. Both franchises need new stadiums and if sharing one is the only viable way to do it without taxpayer funds, then so be it.

You don't seem to have a handle on LA's geography. This site would be easily accessible via the 110 or 405. We're used to driving 30+ minutes to get to places here in LA. This site would be just fine for LA fans.

SD and Oak fans would be screwed, yes. But I have little pity for either fanbase, since they don't want to help with public funds. Both franchises need new stadiums and if sharing one is the only viable way to do it without taxpayer funds, then so be it.
:goodposting:

I like this location. I also like the Inglewood location. Both are easily accessible to most. The City of Industry location from a few years one was easily my least favorite by far.

I live here (west LA) and while it's accessible I don't want to drive down to Carson. It's also far for people who live in the valley or Pasadena area.

Inglewood makes the most sense because it's centrally located for everyone in the LA area.

I think it's been pretty well established that the taxpayers get the short end of the stick when this happens. I say good for those who stand up to these billionaires and their extortions.

Why does Oakland want to share a stadium in LA with the Chargers (much further from Oakland) but not in Santa Clara (much closer to Oakland) with the opposite conferenced 49ers?

Why does Oakland want to share a stadium in LA with the Chargers (much further from Oakland) but not in Santa Clara (much closer to Oakland) with the opposite conferenced 49ers?
My understanding is that bigger budget Niners didn't want the booger-eatin Raiders at the Cool Kids table. Especially now that they've finished their new palace and sold PSLs to their fans.

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 12m12 minutes ago
Just told that there has been no discussion at all about either #Raiders or #Chargers moving to NFC

5 minutes ago
What in the world does that have to do with anything? Why would either team moving to the NFC be necessary, let alone even the vaguest possibility?
As noted above, you'd have division opponents sharing a facility.

More importantly I think are the TV dollars. Who does the LA CBS affiliate show if both teams have a 430 game against an AFC team?

eta: And you gotta think Fox would want a piece of the LA market.
Not to mention all the reports that came out before this saying one would have to change conferences and both are open to it.

I cant see this happening at all. Who goes to the AFC West if the Raiders or Chargers go to the NFC? Seattle moves back?

Interesting question.
Because they would've been renting the Niner's stadium, while they will be 50/50 partners with the Chargers in Carson. Even the seats will be transparent so that either silver/black or powder blue lights can be turned on underneath them depending on which team is playing on a given day.

I live here (west LA) and while it's accessible I don't want to drive down to Carson. It's also far for people who live in the valley or Pasadena area.

Inglewood makes the most sense because it's centrally located for everyone in the LA area.
On a Sunday morning, it's literally ten minutes on the 405 from West LA to Carson. You'll make that drive for NFL football. I have no doubt.

From Pasadena, it's 20-25 min down the 110. From the northwest corner of the Valley it's 45 minutes.

Carson is a better location than Inglewood for travelers coming from Orange County.

Interesting article by Canfora. Basically says an LA Stadium is imminent it will be the Raiders as the second team in either the Chargers/Raiders deal, or partnering with the Rams in their deal. Could be announced as soon as October.

LawFitz said:
cstu said:
LawFitz said:
cstu said:

On a Sunday morning, it's literally ten minutes on the 405 from West LA to Carson. You'll make that drive for NFL football. I have no doubt.

From Pasadena, it's 20-25 min down the 110. From the northwest corner of the Valley it's 45 minutes.

Carson is a better location than Inglewood for travelers coming from Orange County.
You're pushing it on those times and afternoons will be longer, but granted it's not a huge issue.

Hu-Tang Clan said:
The Raiders don't want to share a stadium with the 49ers because they would be tenants of the 49ers where as with the shared stadium with the Chargers each team would have ownership of the stadium. The Raiders don't want to play in a stadium that is decked out with 49ers colors.

Goldman Sachs executive Tim Romer was on hand to guarantee to the roughly 92,000 citizens of Carson, located south of Los Angeles near the intersection of the 405 and 110 freeways, that no taxpayer money or city general funds would be used in the stadium construction.

I don't think this is going to happen strictly because the Rams are not staying in St. Louis. The city/state has made no serious attempt at keeping the franchise, beyond general political overture. It's a baseball town and the residents don't want to drop hundreds of millions building a new football stadium.

Since the Rams are moving, the west coast is the most logical place, and LA is the most logical west coast city. I think the Raiders/Rams is what's going to happen and the Chargers will have to figure something out for themselves.

I don't think this is going to happen strictly because the Rams are not staying in St. Louis. The city/state has made no serious attempt at keeping the franchise, beyond general political overture. It's a baseball town and the residents don't want to drop hundreds of millions building a new football stadium.

Since the Rams are moving, the west coast is the most logical place, and LA is the most logical west coast city. I think the Raiders/Rams is what's going to happen and the Chargers will have to figure something out for themselves.
St.Louis is in the midst of having a stadium built to keep the Rams

Is this finalized???

Is this finalized???
They are in the process of buying land and moving utilities. It's moving along well so far. Governor and Mayor and pushing hard

Is this finalized???
Nothing will be finalized until the people of St. Louis vote to fund it.

Is this finalized???
Think they'd actually vote for it? Is it simple majority?

Maurile Tremblay said:
its reported that 25% of the chargers ticket sales come from Orange County & LA
A lot of them are probably fans of visiting teams. There are a lot of transplants in Southern California who come see their team play when the Chargers host them.
:goodposting:

I have a few friends who have season tickets. Two of them are from Nebraska and are Chiefs fans. The other is, unfortunately, part of the Nation.

I don't think this is going to happen strictly because the Rams are not staying in St. Louis. The city/state has made no serious attempt at keeping the franchise, beyond general political overture. It's a baseball town and the residents don't want to drop hundreds of millions building a new football stadium. Since the Rams are moving, the west coast is the most logical place, and LA is the most logical west coast city. I think the Raiders/Rams is what's going to happen and the Chargers will have to figure something out for themselves.
Is this finalized???
Won't require a vote. They are re-financing the originally bonds from the dome they built. This doesn't require a public vote. The new stadium is a done deal as long as Stan commits

If these two teams build a PRIVATELY FINANCED stadium, as is reported in the OP, how are they suffering?
I am guessing you don't live in Irwindale, CA?

Users who are viewing this thread