What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Rams at Lions (-3, 51.5), SNF Wild Card Weekend Game #5** (1 Viewer)

BobbyLayne

Footballguy
most expensive ticket of Wild Card weekend

Lions-Rams draws Craig Wrolstad’s officiating crew. They call 9.9 penalties a game, on average.

Home team is 10-7 in games officiated by his crew. Wrolstad grew up in Seahawks territory.

Best yet, Wrolstad’s crew hasn’t be been involved in any ridiculous, mind boggling calls.

This season Aidan Hutchinson joined the 100 pressures in a season club

The other members are JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Maxx Crosby and Micah Parsons

Dan Campbell on Lions TE Sam LaPorta:

"The diagnosis was promising. It’s still an outside shot, but it’s promising. We thought there wouldn’t be any way that we had a chance for him this week, and we still do."

Any other story lines to focus on this week?

Last edited:
Amon-Ra has new hair

Stafford returning to possibly eliminate the Lions in the playoffs would just be downright cruel. Goff might feel the most pressure of the 2 playing their former teams. Puka might go for 200 yards after what Lamb and Jefferson went for the last 2 weeks.

Los AngelesSince Week 11Detroit
7-1-0W/L record5-3
7thOVERALL DVOA13th
3rdOFFENSE DVOA10th
4thOFFENSE EPA7th
4thRUN DVOA11th
5thPASS EPA9th
3rdRUN DVOA2nd
4thRUN EPA6th
22ndDEFENSE DVOA18th
17thDEFENSE EPA23rd
17thPASS D DVOA26th
14thPASS D EPA28th
10thRUN D DVOA3rd
14thRUN D EPA3rd

Great storyline in this one.
Goff against the team that didn't want him.
Stafford against the team he couldn't win with.
Fun fact; Matthew Stafford will be doing something he never did in his career with The Lions,play in a playoff game in Detroit.
LaPorta may or may not play,that could put a crimp in The Lions offense.
Goff,Gibbs,Montgomery,St. Brown maybe LaPorta.
Stafford,Williams,Puka,Cupp.
I don't have a pony in this race but I like Detroits head coach,he's easy to root for.
However,I just have a gut feeling.
Upset special...

Jared Goff's Former Team- 27
Matthew Staffords Former Team- 23

Losing Laporta is going to be huge IMO, if he doesn't play and I think it will hurt Det big time..

Love the Rams here

Jared Goff at home this year:

195-278 for 2,240 yards, 19 touchdowns and 9 turnovers.
70.1% completion % and 107.9 rating.

Stafford away this year:

154-241 for 1,924 yards, 11 touchdowns and 7 turnovers.
63.9 completion % and 91.7 rating.

Jared Goff at home this year:

195-278 for 2,240 yards, 19 touchdowns and 9 turnovers.
70.1% completion % and 107.9 rating.

Stafford away this year:

154-241 for 1,924 yards, 11 touchdowns and 7 turnovers.
63.9 completion % and 91.7 rating.

Stafford is going to feel so comfy though, playing at Ford Field. He did it for 12 years. The crowd won’t matter, it won’t feel like a proper road game for him, imo.

Our run D needs to really hold up in this one. Kyren has been utterly dominant in helping them consistently move down the field. Maybe just maybe if we can stuff that right up then Matthew will have to go 1 too many a few times and have some INTS along the way.

Stafford is going to feel so comfy though, playing at Ford Field. He did it for 12 years. The crowd won’t matter, it won’t feel like a proper road game for him, imo.
When he used to wave the crowd down for less noise so he could call out the signals the crowd listened. Will they Sunday night?

Probably the game of the weekend here. I'd feel slot better about the Lions if Laporta was still in. Gonna be a high scoring one I think.

Rams 37
Lions 35

When he used to wave the crowd down for less noise so he could call out the signals the crowd listened. Will they Sunday night?

No 😂. To take your inference and so reply at face value though, I place the difficulty of QBs being on the road as simply more than loud crowds making calling the O difficult. Its the unfamiliar surroundings, the different type of turf, an unfamiliar tunnel and bowels of the stadium, outdoor when used to dome, different light and perspectives etc etc, in addition to that. Stafford knows this stadium inside out.

No updates on LaPorta though he did go through the walk through today. Dan Campbell said he’s improving but they won’t know until Friday afternoon.

Stafford is going to have to throw this ball all over the yard. I don't care about Kyren Williams. He's JAG as far as I'm concerned. Will Nacua and Kupp show up? Where will Demarcus Robinson be?

The main question for Detroit's offense will be how Detroit handles the inside pressure of Donald and Kobie Turner. Byron Young and Michael Hoecht on the EDGE are okay, but not world beaters. Hoecht is oversized for an EDGE guy, really. Goff folds under pressure. Interior pressure would be disastrous for the Lions.

Should be a heck of a game.

I've got the Lions in a close one. Their run offense will prove too much for the Rams, especially Jahmyr Gibbs.

Any Detroiters going to the game and want to get together beforehand? I’m coming in from Phoenix. I’ll be with a buddy and we plan to hang down by the stadium most of the day.

The Rams are on a 4 game win streak that is not necessarily impressive. Close call with the Giants. Solid Ws against the Saints and Commanders where they held nice leads but let it get a little close down the stretch. Last week by 1 pt over the 29ers. Prior to that though, they blew out Cleveland and played the Ravens tooth and nail only to lose in OT. Those were impressive games for LA. This team is no joke. Detroit has its hands full.

I don't care about Kyren Williams. He's JAG as far as I'm concerned.

I felt the same way before the injury, but after his return the difference in him and any other Ram back was clear. He is more than JAG. Went for over 100 against the Ravens, and look at the work he put in. That's good stuff against a great D. The LA OL and run scheme are both really good. From a fantasy perspective Kyren was the only back anywhere near McCaffrey in pts per game. Det is 2nd against the run, but part of that is them being 27th against the pass. I expect Kyren to gash them once Stafford gets them on their heels. Earlier I said an upset wouldn't surprise me. Now I expect it.

Might be the most intriguing game of the week.

If you had asked earlier in the season - I would have said the Lions win this game.
However, I think the Lions have been exposed a bit. The secondary is suspect and the Rams will stress the Lion’s secondary if they can slow Hutchinson.

I think there is a significant coaching advantage for the Rams with McVay. I’m sorry, but I just don’t trust Campbell at all.

26-20 Rams (Overtime)

Sam LaPorta spoke to the media after practice today. No structural damage, stability of the knee is not an issue. Hyperextended knee + (very painful) bone bruise. Did not practice with the team today but did some blocking drills on the side and did individual reps with Goff. Just taking it day by day but said he’s optimistic about playing Sunday night.

Ruled OUT

• WR Kalif Raymond (knee)
  • TE James Mitchell (hand)
  • EDGE James Houston (ankle, IR) — evaluation days remaining: 6
  • CB Jerry Jacobs (thigh/knee)

Questionable

• TE Sam LaPorta (knee)
  • DT John Cominsky (illness)

Rams

• Did Not Participate: DB Jordan Fuller (ankle; questionable), OL Brian Allen (resting), NT Bobby Brown III (illness; questionable), OL Alaric Jackson (personal)
  • Limited Participant: OL Joe Noteboom (foot; questionable), LB Troy Reeder (knee; questionable), OL Kevin Dotson (shoulder; questionable), TE Tyler Higbee (shoulder; questionable)
  • Full Participant: OT Rob Havenstein (resting)

Sam LaPorta spoke to the media after practice today. No structural damage, stability of the knee is not an issue. Hyperextended knee + (very painful) bone bruise. Did not practice with the team today but did some blocking drills on the side and did individual reps with Goff. Just taking it day by day but said he’s optimistic about playing Sunday night.
Sounds like he was spotted blocking and catching balls at practice. I wonder if he's just one of those freaks who somehow just don't get hurt. DJ Moore is one of them. Looked like he had a nasty season ending ankle injury, came back later that game and then by next week he goes off for 159/1.

Amon-Ra has new hair

Stafford returning to possibly eliminate the Lions in the playoffs would just be downright cruel. Goff might feel the most pressure of the 2 playing their former teams. Puka might go for 200 yards after what Lamb and Jefferson went for the last 2 weeks.
Puka very well could go off but I think we need to slow down a bit, he's not Justin Jefferson or CeeDee Lamb.

Sounds like he was spotted blocking and catching balls at practice. I wonder if he's just one of those freaks who somehow just don't get hurt. DJ Moore is one of them. Looked like he had a nasty season ending ankle injury, came back later that game and then by next week he goes off for 159/1.

Turned 24 23 yesterday; heard a fantasy doctor yesterday who cited a study that athletes 25 and under will heal like 25% faster than athlete's over 35.

He had a massive brace on his leg during practice warm-ups (the portion the media saw.) However, he was not a LP, practiced in full.

Kelce almost played week 1 and then wasn't really himself the first week he was back. I expect LaPorta to have some performance dip but it's def huge he'll play, especially with Mitchell out.

Last edited:

Turned 24 yesterday; heard a fantasy doctor yesterday who cited a study that athletes 25 and under will heal like 25% faster than athlete's over 35.

He had a massive brace on his leg during practice warm-ups (the portion the media saw.) However, he was not a LP, practiced in full.

Kelce almost played week 1 and then wasn't really himself the first week he was back. I expect LaPorta to have some performance dip but it's def huge he'll play, especially with Mitchell out.
If he plays and has a good game, maybe like 70 and 1, I will be ready to declare him the best TE in the NFL and in the Gronk/Kelce/Gonzalez tier.

Rams are 5-1 7-1 in games when Kyren Williams runs for 100+ 87+ yards, 1-4 1-3 when he runs for under 70.

EDIT: sorry, copied a sloppy tweet

(They went 1-3 when he missed time midseason)

The Lions haven't allowed a RB to go for more than 69 yards. They're second in run defense and first in yards allowed to RBs.

The big challenge for Aaron Glenn is limiting the Rams explosives through the air. Watching the Rams games it is clear they have a lot of success in tight formations with Stafford under center. Really good running behind the right side OL, Dotson & Havenstein. If Detroit can limit their first down runs they'll have a lot more freedom to blitz on 2nd down.

Their safeties are outstanding, Melifonwu is the 8th ranked S over the last 5 weeks, Kerby Joseph and CJGJ are ball hawks. Brian Branch is both their best cover guy and the best downhill run support DB; I expect him to be matched up often with Cooper Kupp. PFF ranked him the 12th best corner in the NFL but of course that's almost exclusively from the Slot or playing in the box. Will be interesting to see if they switch things up and put any of their four S/SCB guys outside. Sutton and Vildor are the weak links trying to cover the X and Z WRs.

Rams run mostly 11 personnel and seldom utilize 12 personnel, plus Higbee is a banged up. Detroit won't be in their base defense very often. Hutch has been on a tear of late. That needs to continue if the Lions hope to get off the field.

Not sure either defense will be able to stop these offenses. If we can sustain drives and limit Los Angeles to 9 or 10 drives, with 3-4 organic stops, then it only takes a couple big plays to swing the advantage toward Detroit.

Most expensive Wild Card ticket in history. The crowd is gonna be insanely loud. Can't wait, should be the most entertaining game of the weekend.

Last edited:
I wonder if half the people in the stadium will be wearing Stafford jerseys - with either team's colors. Have to be a ton of Stafford/Lions jerseys hanging in closets in the Detroit metro area.

Paraphrasing Ben Solak….

Jack Campbell and Derrick Barnes lead the entire league in allowing non tight window throws between the numbers.. 30+ each. Expect McVey and Stafford to try and exploit BUT unlike under Goff, the Rams can also hit paydirt outside the numbers so their options are more expansive. I’m not sure where we will fit in all our players but Cam Sutton has been CB1 and it isn’t his best position. Add in that Vildor off the street has been our CB2 in recent and these two matchups with Rams WRs will be critical.

Need our run D to hold firm and we need that edge pressure from Hutch. He must have a big game. This season Stafford and Rams have been bad under pressure unlike the year they won the Super Bowl.

Damn this game is late for me given I have my first day on a tv series Monday morning call time 8am and this game starts around 1am UK time

Paraphrasing Ben Solak….

Jack Campbell and Derrick Barnes lead the entire league in allowing non tight window throws between the numbers.. 30+ each. Expect McVey and Stafford to try and exploit BUT unlike under Goff, the Rams can also hit paydirt outside the numbers so their options are more expansive. I’m not sure where we will fit in all our players but Cam Sutton has been CB1 and it isn’t his best position. Add in that Vildor off the street has been our CB2 in recent and these two matchups with Rams WRs will be critical.

Need our run D to hold firm and we need that edge pressure from Hutch. He must have a big game. This season Stafford and Rams have been bad under pressure unlike the year they won the Super Bowl.

Damn this game is late for me given I have my first day on a tv series Monday morning call time 8am and this game starts around 1am UK time
I like the little brag you snuck in there, tell us about the show!

Paraphrasing Ben Solak….

I like the little brag you snuck in there, tell us about the show!

A lot of location work during winter in Scotland is nothing to brag about, the very thought of it is already tiring me out tbh !

This should be an even matchup with as usual turnovers making the difference.

Lions o-line can control games and they have the ability to dominate Rams run defense. Very concerned about Lions pass defense. Please tell why Kupp is wide open all the time??

I was born in Detroit and have been through it all. I want this game bad. Give me one playoff win and then roll the dice. Really do not want Stafford to come back to beat the Lions.

NFL has to love these matchups They have Stafford coming back to Detroit, McVeigh vs Goff the QB he dumped.

They have McCarthy vs GB the team that fired him. Tyreek Hill coming back to KC.

Lions 31-27.

Trivia - Name the only QB to beat a team in the playoffs for which he has played in the playoffs.

Bonus - did that QB ever win a game in the playoffs for the previous team?

🤔🤔🤔

Trivia - Name the only QB to beat a team in the playoffs for which he has played in the playoffs.

🤔🤔🤔

Steve DeBerg? Seemed like he played forever for different teams.

🤔🤔🤔

Was it in the Super Bowl era?

Only one I could find in my data was Jack Kemp, who QB'd the Buffalo Bills to a win in the AFL Championship in 1965 over the San Diego Chargers, a team he had taken to the playoffs in 1960 and 1961 (but lost both times).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread