What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rams to trade or release Holt *RUMOR* (1 Viewer)

thehornet

Footballguy
InsideStL.com's Howard Balzer reports St. Louis Rams HC Scott Linehan might be attempting to trade or release WR Torry Holt because of disputes with the receiver according to a source, who added the two despise each other. Holt and Linehan have had several disagreements in the past couple of years. Holt approached Linehan in 2007 with some ideas about beating the Seahawks defensive backs and Linehan rebuked them saying "You play, I'll coach." Another disagreement was caught on camera on a Thursday night NFL network game in December of 2007 with Holt going ballistic on the sideline.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

It is unintelligent to say they would release Holt. You don't release someone like Holt. If you decide you cannot live with him, you trade him. He is still a great receiver.

I know for fact that the Eagles tried to get him this off-season. They'd be a perfect trade partner.
It's pretty scary to think how good the Cowboys would be with a TO/Holt/Witten trio for Romo to throw to.I can't believe Holt will be going anywhere. My money is on Linehan being gone before Holt is.

Who is cheaper to cut and means less to the team between the feuding parties? It may be Linehan that loses the battle of both him and Torry being unable to coexist.

This will all be over come Monday when Linehan gets canned.
Agreed. I think the more important issue is whether Linehan will do something stupid tomorrow like bench Holt or keep him off the field for large chunks of the game. We saw a little bit of that in Week 1 when Holt wasn't on the field as much as he usually is. Holt owners now have something else to factor into their decisions if they were planning to start him this week.

If my roster wasn't set last night I would've benched him this weekend. If the Rams were winning games and Linehan was showing signs of being a competent coach then there might be a chance, no matter how slim, of Holt being traded/released.

But this team is in shambles, Linehan is terrible, they're not winning, and it's clear most - if not all - of the team hates the HC. He'll be canned sooner rather than later.

Agreed. I think the more important issue is whether Linehan will do something stupid tomorrow like bench Holt or keep him off the field for large chunks of the game. We saw a little bit of that in Week 1 when Holt wasn't on the field as much as he usually is. Holt owners now have something else to factor into their decisions if they were planning to start him this week.
I'm hoping for the best for Green, and it would make for great drama and story. That said, for the other players (experienced vets) to be so adamantly against it, I have to think they know Bulger is the better option. It could be that Linehan just wanted to give Bulger a chance to regain his feet after being so badly beaten up. Whatever the reasoning, it's sooo unpopular that it's become the bad choice by default and can only have a negative effect unless devine intervention sends Green to a Pro Bowl. In redraft, I don't see much getting better for Holt. In dynasty, it's buy now - his schedule gets better. He won't be hard to get next year (which should be better for him) but this may be his lowest buy point 'till he's worthless. He's not worth a whole lot now, so he's a good risk/reward value.

It seems Holt and Linehan have drawn their lines in the sand. Who wins?
Holt wins, hands down. This team rally's behind him, he won the ring with the Rams... not Linehan. Holt isn't even the seldom person going against the coach he's stupid moves. The whole team is up in arms in this whole debacle, not just Holt. I guess if Linehan feels the office is behind he'll try to make an example of one of the teams leaders. Either way I say they should have dealt Holt during the off-season anyway, they are rebuilding and they can use all the draft picks they can get. There is absolutely no way you can compare T.O to Torry Holt. Torry Holt has to be one of the most respected and well liked professionals in the game. He never said a bad word about anybody before Linehan grabbed the reigns and to be honest it is warranted. Torry isn't just yapping his mouth because he likes to hear himself speak, he's trying to rally his team. T.O during his stay in Philly was just yapping because he wanted to rally well... himself.

It seems Holt and Linehan have drawn their lines in the sand. Who wins?
Holt wins long term. I don't think Linehan will make it through the season and if the Rams get trounced tomorrow he could be gone on Monday or Tuesday since the team has a Week 5 bye. The concern for Holt owners as I stated above is whether Linehan wins this week.I don't mean to harp on this, but I really am surprised at FBG's ranking for Holt this week. Maybe it will change today or tomorrow morning but I find it interesting that all of the crap going on in St. Louis doesn't seem to be impacting Holt's production this week.

Just to entertain my brain, what would the 49ers be willing to give for Holt? Holt, Bruce and JTO together in a Martz offense... wouldn't be the old Rams, but Gore does a pretty good Faulk impression... :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to entertain my brain, what would the 49ers be willing to give for Holt? Holt, Bruce and JTO together in a Martz offense... wouldn't be the old Rams, but Gore does a pretty good Faulk impression... :thumbup:
Henry Ellard and Willie "Flipper" Anderson are available. :)

Agreed,Lets do the math. He can't get along with Holt....star WRHe can't get along with Bulger...star QB making $60 milSjax is not happy with him either....Linehan is done and they have the bye week to find a replacement.

Matthew Berry absolutely loved the Rams before the season. Thankfully, I ignored Berry per usual. Rather than moving Holt, STL needs to get some OL in the door pronto. And that ain't going to happen now.

The only reason I could see the Rams moving Holt is because he's probably going to want a fat new contract after this season. It's reallly his last shot at a big payday before he's too old to have any leverage for a long term deal. It might be better to part ways now and get good value in return. Linehan could and should be fired but the Rams also need a lot more than just a Pro Bowl WR right now. I would deal Holt if the other team was offering up the right package of draft picks.

if I were Holt i would act like an ### just so i could get traded or booted. The Rams are quickly becoming the Raiders...well, maybe not THAT bad. ;)

Linehan is such an idiot that if he was GM he would probably trade him to Seattle so a division rival can put up with the "cancer".

Chiefs are rebuilding...they need picks or young players for Tony, another older player would be pointless when it will be a couple years before they can compete

St Louis will get smacked again this weekend and all hell breaks loose. I mean 3 losses already by 4 TD's or more?

1) To the guy who chose Holt over Marshall: I'll cry for you after I'm done laughing at you. If you did that in August, you're an idiot.

2) To the person who said Holt would be looking for a big contract this offseason: No team who has watched him play will give him that. How old is he? He's got bone on bone in his knee. I just think his best days are behind him.

3) The Rams made a big mistake overpaying for Bulger. All that money for a Weeble.

4) The Eagles should offer Winston Justice for Holt. He was a first-round talent coming out of USC and he might actually help the Rams. If the Rams think they'd get Lito, as an Eagles fan, I would not do that one.

KFFL

Rams | Holt apologizes for Bulger benching

Sat, 27 Sep 2008 06:46:19 -0700

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams WR Torry Holt felt bad for the benching of QB Marc Bulger. Holt said he went up to Bulger and apologized for the offense's performance thus far. "You know I was shocked, man," Holt said. "I was really shocked. First and foremost, I went up to Marc immediately and apologized to him as a receiver. And (apologized) for our receiving group, and for our offense - for not making enough plays to give him an opportunity to stay on the football field with us as we move forward in the fourth week."

Rams | Linehan says he hasn't heard from Bulger

Sat, 27 Sep 2008 06:40:07 -0700

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams head coach Scott Linehan said Friday, Sept. 26, that if QB Marc Bulger has decided he no longer can play for him, Bulger has not informed the head coach as of yet. "He's never given me any (such) indication," Linehan told reporters. "I know he's disappointed with my decision. He's practiced very well this week, and worked hard, and all those things. If that's his feeling, he's never mentioned that to me. You have to ask him that particular question."

Considering Linehan is/should going to be fired in a matter of days, I don't think he's in any position to force out the team's best [by a country mile] player.

Users who are viewing this thread