What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (1 Viewer)

OK -- I'm committed. Just registered myself for the DC half-marathon on March 20. Have only been running on weekends since October, since I couldn't deal with getting out of bed to run in the cold and dark. But did 4 miles yesterday at 5:30 a.m. and decided that I can do it. It was actually kind of nice -- I realized as soon as I started running that I had already completed the hard part of the run (motivating to get up, stretch, get dressed and go outside) and that the run itself was the easy part.

Did 7 miles on Sunday (which equals my longest-ever single run) and it felt easy at a 9-minute pace. So my goal for the half is going to be 1:58 -- a 9-minute pace for the whole thing. Looking forward to doing 8 miles this Sunday and setting a new distance record for myself. I just hope it doesn't snow Friday/Saturday, like they're saying it might.

One question about running longer distances -- when and how often should you hydrate? I've never felt the need to drink during my usual 6-mile long run, but I know that I probably should now that I'm going longer than that. I've heard you should eat/drink 40 minutes before you run, and then drink every 40 minutes while you're running. Is that right? And how much should you drink? Also have never eaten gels or GU -- any advice there? Thanks!

OK -- I'm committed. Just registered myself for the DC half-marathon on March 20. Have only been running on weekends since October, since I couldn't deal with getting out of bed to run in the cold and dark. But did 4 miles yesterday at 5:30 a.m. and decided that I can do it. It was actually kind of nice -- I realized as soon as I started running that I had already completed the hard part of the run (motivating to get up, stretch, get dressed and go outside) and that the run itself was the easy part.Did 7 miles on Sunday (which equals my longest-ever single run) and it felt easy at a 9-minute pace. So my goal for the half is going to be 1:58 -- a 9-minute pace for the whole thing. Looking forward to doing 8 miles this Sunday and setting a new distance record for myself. I just hope it doesn't snow Friday/Saturday, like they're saying it might.One question about running longer distances -- when and how often should you hydrate? I've never felt the need to drink during my usual 6-mile long run, but I know that I probably should now that I'm going longer than that. I've heard you should eat/drink 40 minutes before you run, and then drink every 40 minutes while you're running. Is that right? And how much should you drink? Also have never eaten gels or GU -- any advice there? Thanks!
I'll defer on the hydration questions but glad to hear you are getting into it. Good luck training for the DC half!

The_Man said:
OK -- I'm committed. Just registered myself for the DC half-marathon on March 20. Have only been running on weekends since October, since I couldn't deal with getting out of bed to run in the cold and dark. But did 4 miles yesterday at 5:30 a.m. and decided that I can do it. It was actually kind of nice -- I realized as soon as I started running that I had already completed the hard part of the run (motivating to get up, stretch, get dressed and go outside) and that the run itself was the easy part.Did 7 miles on Sunday (which equals my longest-ever single run) and it felt easy at a 9-minute pace. So my goal for the half is going to be 1:58 -- a 9-minute pace for the whole thing. Looking forward to doing 8 miles this Sunday and setting a new distance record for myself. I just hope it doesn't snow Friday/Saturday, like they're saying it might.One question about running longer distances -- when and how often should you hydrate? I've never felt the need to drink during my usual 6-mile long run, but I know that I probably should now that I'm going longer than that. I've heard you should eat/drink 40 minutes before you run, and then drink every 40 minutes while you're running. Is that right? And how much should you drink? Also have never eaten gels or GU -- any advice there? Thanks!
For training, I'd say it's personal choice. Other than hot summer days, I'll do runs of up to 10 miles without any drinks/gels (but I'm probably in the minority on that). If you have a way to carry some fluids, it would be helpful to do so on longer runs. You can get by without gels, but if you think you'll have a gel during the race, you should do so in practice, too. It is good to drink before you start and certainly to eat/drink within a half-hour after finishing. Someone else have quantity specifics handy?

Sand & Tri-Man, swim question. That floaty-thing that is pressed between the knees, is it used to work on arm technique and to avoid using the legs? I NEED to do something without using the legs and there is a trash can full of swim stuff at the pool and there are a handful of these. If this is what this thing does, what are the drills I should be doing? THANKS!
It is a pull bouy. As far as drills you can certainly work on rotation and balance drills - getting a feel for the water with them. Because it isolates your hips somewhat you do get a different feel for the water and you feel the rotation you are doing more when you don't kick than when you do.You can also do a quick catch drill with them. Look at this

I also like to do the opposite drill where you concentrate on a strong finish (i.e. triceps killer). Those can be done with a pull bouy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did 9 miles tonight in the cold at 7:38 pace. Too damn fast. Oh, well. Off to running club meeting. Have a nice night, guys!

Sand & Tri-Man, swim question. That floaty-thing that is pressed between the knees, is it used to work on arm technique and to avoid using the legs? I NEED to do something without using the legs and there is a trash can full of swim stuff at the pool and there are a handful of these. If this is what this thing does, what are the drills I should be doing? THANKS!
It is a pull bouy. As far as drills you can certainly work on rotation and balance drills - getting a feel for the water with them. Because it isolates your hips somewhat you do get a different feel for the water and you feel the rotation you are doing more when you don't kick than when you do.You can also do a quick catch drill with them. Look at this

Great stuff, thanks. I did some very light stretching and massaged the calf with The Stick and I've decided to do a very un-me thing and I am going to be smart and hold off doing anything until I swim next Monday. While the calf feels better, I want to see what a week off of everything will do for me (other than helping me to gain weight). I am going to switch from RICE to heat and mild stretching starting tomorrow. I have found I have been :banned: a bit more the last few evenings (which is going to have to stop).

The_Man said:
OK -- I'm committed. Just registered myself for the DC half-marathon on March 20. Have only been running on weekends since October, since I couldn't deal with getting out of bed to run in the cold and dark. But did 4 miles yesterday at 5:30 a.m. and decided that I can do it. It was actually kind of nice -- I realized as soon as I started running that I had already completed the hard part of the run (motivating to get up, stretch, get dressed and go outside) and that the run itself was the easy part.

Did 7 miles on Sunday (which equals my longest-ever single run) and it felt easy at a 9-minute pace. So my goal for the half is going to be 1:58 -- a 9-minute pace for the whole thing. Looking forward to doing 8 miles this Sunday and setting a new distance record for myself. I just hope it doesn't snow Friday/Saturday, like they're saying it might.

One question about running longer distances -- when and how often should you hydrate? I've never felt the need to drink during my usual 6-mile long run, but I know that I probably should now that I'm going longer than that. I've heard you should eat/drink 40 minutes before you run, and then drink every 40 minutes while you're running. Is that right? And how much should you drink? Also have never eaten gels or GU -- any advice there? Thanks!
For training, I'd say it's personal choice. Other than hot summer days, I'll do runs of up to 10 miles without any drinks/gels (but I'm probably in the minority on that). If you have a way to carry some fluids, it would be helpful to do so on longer runs. You can get by without gels, but if you think you'll have a gel during the race, you should do so in practice, too. It is good to drink before you start and certainly to eat/drink within a half-hour after finishing. Someone else have quantity specifics handy?
Hey, The_Man. Congrats on taking the plunge. With regard to hydration/nutrition, I'd agree with tri-man that it's really more of a personal choice. It also depends on weather and a lot of other factors. When I'm doing training runs during the winter, I'll also sometimes go 10-12 miles without any drinks/gels. Sometimes during the summer I'll drain an entire 20-ounce bottle during a 5-mile run. For marathons, I'll generally take a Gu every 5 miles, and I'll drink at every water station, alternating between Gatorade and water.Let us know if you have any specific questions. All of us have our own areas of expertise, and we'll all here to help!

Got back to the track this morning for speedwork. Did 6x400 with a target pace of 1:48 per lap. Got faster each repeat and finished the last in 1:33.

I've been logging my runs with "Running Log" on the iTouch, but I decided this past week that I want to keep a written log, as well. Ten years from now, I would like to have a record of my runs and I somehow don't think I will still be using my iTouch at that point. Looked at a few running-specific log books, but opted for a plain 2-year weekly calendar.

Also, I picked up a spibelt earlier this week. I've learned that most running shorts don't have pockets and I struggled to find a place to tuck my iPod. I had heard about spibelts on a podcast and so far it lives up to the hype. The zip pouch is an elastic, spandex type material that expands. The pouch looks tiny, but it held my iTouch, a pack of sport beans, and my driver's license. And the strap/belt will NOT move. You fasten it and it stays in place perfectly. I never noticed it was there on a 10-mile run. Great product if you need a place to hold a few small items but don't want to wear a vest or a bigger pack.

Congrats on taking the plunge. Great goal time!I'm a 200+ lb and can comfortably run 2 hours without water or gel/gu. Summer time and 90+ temps gets a little tough, but is doable. My suggestion is to focus on hydration and nutrition before and after your runs. I'd rather condition my body to do without during training and add water/gels during a race. Obviously you want to test hydration and nutrition during training to nail it down for the race. What I'm saying is don't condition your body to expect cals every 30 mins during training.

Braved tonight's 13-below wind chill for a 7-mile recovery run at 8:23 pace. Was only planning on doing 5, but I felt good, so I kept going. One of those nights where I felt like I could've run forever. Another easy 5-miler tomorrow before attempting 13 w/8 at MP on Saturday.

Got out yesterday and did a 35 minute Tempo run. It was cold and windy and I am finding that with the varying weather that we have had, my body has not adjusted to the cold weather yet. I am having a hard time breathing when I run outside. I will get used to it soon enough though. I have a 4 mile run again today to make up for a skip on Wednesday. I know that I am not supposed to, but I just don't want to skip a workout.

I think I am starting my foray into swimming tonight. How many laps should I do starting out? Is it like running that I should just start out slow and increase as I feel better then push myself a bit to increase fitness level? I know I don't need to start out by swimming halfway across the Atlantic as some of you do now, but hopefully I can get those longer swims in at a later date...seems like a good challenge to me.

I've heard you should eat/drink 40 minutes before you run, and then drink every 40 minutes while you're running. Is that right? And how much should you drink? Also have never eaten gels or GU -- any advice there? Thanks!
I've read a good rule-of-thumb is that you should drink the amount that replaces your sweat (good luck trying to calculate that!). So, as far as an amount, it will depend on your size, the weather and your propensity to sweat. Personally, I like to drink at least every 5 miles but more often if convenient. Gels are something to try on your long runs and see how you feel. I don't think they are necessary for a 1/2 marathon but if they help (even mentally!) they are worth it.

I don't think they are necessary for a 1/2 marathon but if they help (even mentally!) they are worth it.
Necessary? Maybe not, but I definitely think that they help if you're looking to maximize performance. I take one Gu during a half marathon, usually around 5-6 miles.

I don't think they are necessary for a 1/2 marathon but if they help (even mentally!) they are worth it.
Necessary? Maybe not, but I definitely think that they help if you're looking to maximize performance. I take one Gu during a half marathon, usually around 5-6 miles.
I agree. But not everyone is concerned with maximum performance. The only reason I mentioned "not necessary" is I do think there is a tendency in the running world to tell people they need all these various products that can make a seemingly inexpensive hobby expensive.

I agree. But not everyone is concerned with maximum performance. The only reason I mentioned "not necessary" is I do think there is a tendency in the running world to tell people they need all these various products that can make a seemingly inexpensive hobby expensive.
If you're running for leisure, it's inexpensive. If you're racing with any kind of regularity, it can get pretty costly. I mean, I plan on running Boston pretty regularly going forward. By the time you're done with the registration fee, plane tickets, hotel, drinks, food, souvenirs, etc., that's an assload of money right there.

Thanks for the insight, everyone. I've never really gotten thirsty on my longest runs to date -- 7 miles -- but I thought there was some kind of rule about "mandatory" hydration at a certain point. From you all, sounds like the rule is: drink and eat beforehand, and then again if/when you're thirsty. Makes sense.

Speaking of expensive, I think I can now return the $40 feed belt I bought last week and haven't used yet. Supposed to do a 3-mile pace run tomorrow and then an 8-mile long run on Sunday -- which would be my new record length -- but I think I might do the long run tomorrow, because it's starting to look pretty snowy for late Saturday into Sunday.

If you're running for leisure, it's inexpensive. If you're racing with any kind of regularity, it can get pretty costly. I mean, I plan on running Boston pretty regularly going forward. By the time you're done with the registration fee, plane tickets, hotel, drinks, food, souvenirs, etc., that's an assload of money right there.
Yep.

I've heard you should eat/drink 40 minutes before you run, and then drink every 40 minutes while you're running. Is that right? And how much should you drink? Also have never eaten gels or GU -- any advice there? Thanks!
I've read a good rule-of-thumb is that you should drink the amount that replaces your sweat (good luck trying to calculate that!). So, as far as an amount, it will depend on your size, the weather and your propensity to sweat. Personally, I like to drink at least every 5 miles but more often if convenient. Gels are something to try on your long runs and see how you feel. I don't think they are necessary for a 1/2 marathon but if they help (even mentally!) they are worth it.
Actually, I've seen articles on how you can measure it ...it's basically weighing yourself before and after ...seeing how many pounds you dropped ...and converting that back over to the necessary calories.pmbrown - don't worry about number of laps or distance in the pool. Deal with that down the road (several weeks from now). Focus on form, remember. You're not wimping out if you rest after every lap or two. It might be best to just focus on the amount of time that you're in the pool. Count your laps later ...it's a whole different mentality from running a set distance. Do a lap; think it through. Do another; think it through. I've seen articles that even suggest stopping mid-lap if the form goes bad! Speed will come. Endurance will come.

Actually, I've seen articles on how you can measure it ...it's basically weighing yourself before and after ...seeing how many pounds you dropped ...and converting that back over to the necessary calories.pmbrown - don't worry about number of laps or distance in the pool. Deal with that down the road (several weeks from now). Focus on form, remember. You're not wimping out if you rest after every lap or two. It might be best to just focus on the amount of time that you're in the pool. Count your laps later ...it's a whole different mentality from running a set distance. Do a lap; think it through. Do another; think it through. I've seen articles that even suggest stopping mid-lap if the form goes bad! Speed will come. Endurance will come.
:thumbdown: I'll add that I think you can "study" to be a better swimmer more than any of the other three disciplines. I am self taught and found I improved rapidly when I studied YouTube videos and other swimmers at the pool that I perceived as knowing what they are doing. Plus, the pool allows you to check in with you technique every 25 yards. Don't be afraid to ask for someone to watch you swim and offer up some corrections. The endurance will come well before the speed will, IMO. I think it took having an improvement in my endurance level to give me the confidence that I could swim faster (if this makes sense).

tri-man and Bald - Thanks for the advice. I am not sure what form i am supposed to be doing, but I will check the youtube to see what I should be looking like when i am out there. It does make total sense about the form and endurance before the speed. Kind of a walk before you run philosophy. I am anxious to try it out. Tonight we went to the gym and they had a swim practice going on so I was not able to go at it tonight. Tomorrow morning in the new plan.

tri-man and Bald - Thanks for the advice. I am not sure what form i am supposed to be doing, but I will check the youtube to see what I should be looking like when i am out there. It does make total sense about the form and endurance before the speed. Kind of a walk before you run philosophy. I am anxious to try it out. Tonight we went to the gym and they had a swim practice going on so I was not able to go at it tonight. Tomorrow morning in the new plan.
I searched like crazy to find a swim video I had seen early on in my learning. I really like this one because it shows all 3 angles at once. There is a longer one out there I am looking for that has all 3 angles in the pool so you can see the swim technique in motion.In the video, note the early entry of the hand prior to full extension and then see how it extends once in the water. The biggest a-ha for me early on was learning the shoulder turn. I was square to the water and it made me SLOW. A guy I was sharing a lane with offered some advice to me by asking which was faster, a sailboat or a barge. I of course said a sailboat, to which he let me know I was a barge. Just learning the turn of the shoulders doubled my speed and made it much easier to add distance.

I think I am starting my foray into swimming tonight. How many laps should I do starting out? Is it like running that I should just start out slow and increase as I feel better then push myself a bit to increase fitness level? I know I don't need to start out by swimming halfway across the Atlantic as some of you do now, but hopefully I can get those longer swims in at a later date...seems like a good challenge to me.
Just start out at a reasonable pace and do what you can do. The next time you go go a bit longer. Just keep building. Where are you starting out in swimming? What kind of experience do you have?

Most important thing - don't try to correct all your stroke problems at once (if you have any). Breathing, then rotation, then arms, then legs.

Oh, and here are

Floppo & Tri-Man, could you talk to me a bit about pre-thinking a 1/2 IM in terms of how to attack each discipline? While things could change with training, going in I know that running is my strongest part & th bike will be my weakest. I am very happy with my swim improvements of late. My thoughts right now are:

SWIM: Hang back and attack the course on the inside swimming buoy to buoy and finding folks to draft and remember to kick it out in the last 100 meters to ready the legs for the ride.

BIKE: Get from point A to point B riding comfortable and ensuring I get the right hydration & food. Every tri ride I've done, I have gotten off the bike thinking I could have given more. I am going to train for the bike using the HRM to determine if I can push a bit harder. I really think the bike is going to be about focus. Focus on staying aero and minimizing my movement to save energy for the run.

RUN: I've run over a dozen 1/2 marathons on all kinds of courses and in all kinds of conditions. My goal will be to get to the run with my wits about me so I can check in with my body a see what I have left. The Garmin will be key here as I do not want to burn up early. I think I'll sat a pace alarm around 9:00 MM (or lower if training shows I can) just to keep from going to quick. Doing the Oly in September I looked down at the Garmin and saw a 6:50 pace when I thought I was crawling.

OVERALL: I screwed up my lone marathon experience having too many goals (time, pace, etc). Instead, for the 1/2 IM in July I have a single goal, FINISH.

I'll have plenty of additional questions as I progress and appreciate all the info so far!

Update: I am healing according to plan. Yesterday was day 6 on zero exercise and the calf feels much better (although I am achy all over from not doing anything). Today, I put heat on the calf for a 1/2 hour and then did some gentle stretching followed by 3 sets of 20 calf lifts for each calf where you drop the calf off of a stair. I then stretched again. I had no pain in the calf and only some focal soreness where the muscles meet the tibia. I am icing it as I type this and will be massaging with the stick after the ice. Right now, everything is going according to what I've read on the healing process for a grade 1 strain. I'll heat, stretch and do the drops again each day for the next week (adding reps) and will be back in the pool on Monday & Wednesday. If all goes well this week, I'll start walking on the treadmill and slowly riding on the trainer next weekend.

Had some knee pain last Sunday after my 5'er. Ignored it and 3.5 on Tuesday. Had a very hard time with it after that, and it's still kind of stiff, so I've taken the rest of this week to let it settle. I'm going to take a shot at my scheduled 5 tomorrow.

:shrug: Alert!! PSL, you might want to give this a look. Anyone else ever heard of Mad Calf Disease? (I know it is not a real disease). Definite downside to having rest up is finding stuff like this. It seems to make sense, although I wish they'd gone in to greater detail. It also makes a lot of sense why I didn't have issues with my calf while marathon training at this time last year as I was "Gallo-walking" using a run walk method.

Opted for hilly instead of marathon pace on today's training run. Not quite ready for both at the same time. Finished 13.1 in 1:39:15. Tonight? Training for the after-party! :shrug:

Tecumseh - I hope the knee feels better!

Too many injuries (I hope you guys get better quick)! I may have to quarantine this thread until my half is over.

Anyway, I got 21 miles done this week at my conference. Not bad. I intended to hit the road hard today and get myself over 30 miles for the first time. The blasted weather has turned awful (35 and misty). Ugh. I'll do rain and I'll do cold, but not together. I'll do the long run tomorrow - does a Monday-Sunday week count? :thumbup:

On a positive note I hit 30,000yds on the nose in the pool for January. At this rate I'll hit 200 miles for the year. I may end up hitting more than that because my swim training really needs to bulk up for the long swim in May. Not really looking forward to 5k swim workouts 3x a week; however, drowning in the middle of Pensacola Bay wouldn't make for a good race report.

Floppo & Tri-Man, could you talk to me a bit about pre-thinking a 1/2 IM in terms of how to attack each discipline? While things could change with training, going in I know that running is my strongest part & th bike will be my weakest. I am very happy with my swim improvements of late. My thoughts right now are:

SWIM: Hang back and attack the course on the inside swimming buoy to buoy and finding folks to draft and remember to kick it out in the last 100 meters to ready the legs for the ride.

BIKE: Get from point A to point B riding comfortable and ensuring I get the right hydration & food. Every tri ride I've done, I have gotten off the bike thinking I could have given more. I am going to train for the bike using the HRM to determine if I can push a bit harder. I really think the bike is going to be about focus. Focus on staying aero and minimizing my movement to save energy for the run.

RUN: I've run over a dozen 1/2 marathons on all kinds of courses and in all kinds of conditions. My goal will be to get to the run with my wits about me so I can check in with my body a see what I have left. The Garmin will be key here as I do not want to burn up early. I think I'll sat a pace alarm around 9:00 MM (or lower if training shows I can) just to keep from going to quick. Doing the Oly in September I looked down at the Garmin and saw a 6:50 pace when I thought I was crawling.

OVERALL: I screwed up my lone marathon experience having too many goals (time, pace, etc). Instead, for the 1/2 IM in July I have a single goal, FINISH.

I'll have plenty of additional questions as I progress and appreciate all the info so far!

Update: I am healing according to plan. Yesterday was day 6 on zero exercise and the calf feels much better (although I am achy all over from not doing anything). Today, I put heat on the calf for a 1/2 hour and then did some gentle stretching followed by 3 sets of 20 calf lifts for each calf where you drop the calf off of a stair. I then stretched again. I had no pain in the calf and only some focal soreness where the muscles meet the tibia. I am icing it as I type this and will be massaging with the stick after the ice. Right now, everything is going according to what I've read on the healing process for a grade 1 strain. I'll heat, stretch and do the drops again each day for the next week (adding reps) and will be back in the pool on Monday & Wednesday. If all goes well this week, I'll start walking on the treadmill and slowly riding on the trainer next weekend.
Man... I'm spending a lot of time in here lately. :goodposting: ... mebbe it's time to get back off the butt and do a race or something. I've found it SO hard to carve out any time for regular workouts with a lot of work and the kid... I know it's possible- just haven't made it work yet.Swim... can't really tell you how to deal with it. For me as a slow swimmer, it's just about getting to T1 and keeping my form (tri-swim form- ie: kicking is a flick- as if you're flicking a flip-flop off your foot- so that your legs are fresh for the rest) so that I'm fresh for the bike. I know I'll get run over by the wave(s) behind me and hopefully I'll find some other slow pokes to draft off of. I knew I was going to always come in around 45 minutes, so it was just about preserving the legs.

IMO, swimming tight to the buoys usually means taking a beating, but whatever- part of the fun. Oh... fwiw- I've heard back and forth about the kicking at the end thing- one coach preached using a breast-stroke kick towards the end to loosen the legs up. I would usually avoid all of this and just get my legs warm on the bike, since it's the longest of the stages anyways. You've also got a run of varying lengths from the water's edge to T1 so that'll give you a little bit of a chance to loosen up too. One thing I was taught that I always tried to do- swim yourself until you're dragging sand/dirt with your stroke; it's tough on the legs to run out of the water, so minimize by swimming as close to shoreline as possible.

Bike... once you get into your longer bricks, you'll have a better idea of how hard to attack the bike. Try to get yourself bike training solo AND with others who are ideally much faster than you. Do your TTs to figure out how hard you can push, and ride a pack to get your average speed up (even you have to draft the whole time).

The HR thing- IIRC, I paid a lot of time working with the HR monitor and at a certain point realized I had it by feel and stopped looking- but there are obvious benefits to training with it and most of the guys in here seem like theyre on top of that attack.

One thing that I found always helped for the race was to learn the course as much as possible, so that you know inside and out where to attack and where to feed. totally agree about keeping your aero as much as possible (so training with it is key), but I'm not really sure what form you're going to practice on the bike that's going to help or hurt on the run... it's all going to hurt. If anything, the nutrition on the bike is going to inform your run as much as anything else. Only time I ever felt anything weird from the bike was the one time I used a disc wheel- I didn't seat it right on the bike so it was rubbing the whole damn race. My first few miles running were brutal from having to have pushed the bike that much harder. So- IMO- get your form going on the bike so you can go as fast as possible as efficiently as possible for the bike- HTFU. IMO the pain later is more about how you deal with the first part of the run than any part of the bike. fwiw- I could never get myself below 2:40, but knew I wasn't going to go much more than 2:45 either.

and stay to the right. and tell people you're on their left as you blow by them. and thank the volunteers.

Run... short strides, high turnover. Best way to get the bike out of your legs and let 'er rip.

I practiced this to the point where that's how I run now (if I actually ran now)... almost like a stumble. Like with the swim, it's a different technique than a normal runner would have, but geared more for the specifics of the sport. I was able to drop all of my own running PRs during tris- part due to the way the bike loosened up my legs and part due to that short stride.

Definitely a great idea to monitor your pace the first few miles. Because the bike loosens me up well (other than that Disc misadventure), I'd typically come off the bike doing 6-6:30s the first few miles and feeling great- then around mile 7 or 8, I'd get punished for a few miles before speeding back up to the finish. I NEVER learned my lesson about this. :doh: despite knowing that I was typically going to come in around 1:40 (my 1/2 PR was part of a bike/run/bike workout where an official 1/2 marathon race was the run segment- but I didn't hammer the bike on the way out) and not the 1:30 or so that my start off speed would indicate.

ok... the kid wants me to play with him, so I'm off.

I'll be back... :stalker:

9-mile recovery run at 8:22 pace this afternoon, giving me 51 miles for the week and 186 for the month of January (vs. 116 last January).

Tonight = Grammy Awards and/or UNC vs. Virginia basketball.

Have a great evening, guys!

2Young - sheesh, you must be driving M craaazy already!

Swim - you can't 'win' anything in this leg, you just want to avoid losing ...try not to mess up the rest of your long day by going too hard. I'd say overtrain the distance so that the 1.2 miles at a moderate pace are not much of an effort. Focus on strong breathing (solid exhale) - for whatever reason, I came out of my first two 1/2-IM swims rather bloated, and I think some of it was poor breathing.

Bike - recognize that you'll be out there for up to 3 hours. It's too easy to take off in a race mode and lose track of the fact that you've got a lottt of miles to go. Keep your gears easy, and cruise along. Don't get too caught up in 'racing' it. If you've got your legs, push the last several miles. And of course, plan your nutrition (know the aid stations).

Run - I agree with what you and Floppo have said, that it's easy to take off too quickly. One thing you could do is use your breathing pattern to keep yourself slow. My regular inhale/exhale routine is every left step (so every other step). When I run slowly and focus on it, I can settle into a pattern of breathing every third step (L r l R l r L r l R ...). What I'll be trying to do in my June 1/2-IM is to use that pattern at the start of the run leg. Then I'll know my pace is under control.

Had a sit-down with my running coach/trainer yesterday and we're in the process of mapping out a 33 month long gameplan that will result in me qualifying for Boston when I turn 40 years old (3:20 marathon). We're breaking it down into 6 month segments with various benchmarks that I'll need to hit along the way, training programs designed to build up my chicken legs, begin a real hill and speed program (which I've never done) and eventually work into a total reconfiguring of my diet.

This is going to be one hell of a ride. I'm effing PUMPED to get to where I need to be. I don't think I've ever wanted anything more in my life than to qualify for Boston. To run that marathon when I lived along that route for much of life is pretty much my number one bucket-list goal and for the first time in my life, I feel like it's within reach.

tri-man 47 said:
2Young - sheesh, you must be driving M the whole family craaazy already!
Fixed. Although, I have scored some major brownie points at home (which will render me zilch) this week by cooking dinners, doing laundry & dishes and helping with homework.Drinking the Kool-Aid on Mad Calf Disease a bit, I put heat on the calves and then did an easy 1/2 hour ride on the bike trainer keeping the cadence around 72. I then stretched and walked a mile on the treadmill with zero pain. After icing, I am a tiny bit achy but 1000% better than how I felt last week.

Thanks for the tri info. I want to get to a point where I can visualize what all 70.3 miles will look like on race day and this is all part of that process.

Workhorse said:
Had a sit-down with my running coach/trainer yesterday and we're in the process of mapping out a 33 month long gameplan that will result in me qualifying for Boston when I turn 40 years old (3:20 marathon). We're breaking it down into 6 month segments with various benchmarks that I'll need to hit along the way, training programs designed to build up my chicken legs, begin a real hill and speed program (which I've never done) and eventually work into a total reconfiguring of my diet.This is going to be one hell of a ride. I'm effing PUMPED to get to where I need to be. I don't think I've ever wanted anything more in my life than to qualify for Boston. To run that marathon when I lived along that route for much of life is pretty much my number one bucket-list goal and for the first time in my life, I feel like it's within reach.
Keep us posted on this gameplan. Yeah I am cheap and I am looking for free training. :thumbup:

For the record I am doing well. I have been getting faster although it has been slow progress. Last Wednesday I pulled something. I think it is that band we have talked about. Basically felt like I pulled something from my left butt cheek to my left knee. I limped for a day and then just did not feel right for two days. I feel good today and I could have done something but I didnt. I will get back at it tomorrow. I have to confess I have not posted because I was feeling bad that what some people were calling painfully slow was my best times. I know that is stupid and I should not worry about it but I did. I have not gone under a 9 minute mile yet but I am sniffing it. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Workhorse said:
Had a sit-down with my running coach/trainer yesterday and we're in the process of mapping out a 33 month long gameplan that will result in me qualifying for Boston when I turn 40 years old (3:20 marathon). We're breaking it down into 6 month segments with various benchmarks that I'll need to hit along the way, training programs designed to build up my chicken legs, begin a real hill and speed program (which I've never done) and eventually work into a total reconfiguring of my diet.This is going to be one hell of a ride. I'm effing PUMPED to get to where I need to be. I don't think I've ever wanted anything more in my life than to qualify for Boston. To run that marathon when I lived along that route for much of life is pretty much my number one bucket-list goal and for the first time in my life, I feel like it's within reach.
FWIW, considering you just ran a 1:41 half in November, I bet you could qualify at the 35-39 standard (3:15) in a lot less than 33 months. Just my two cents, but either way, I hope to see you in Boston one of these years. It's an awesome experience.

I have to confess I have not posted because I was feeling bad that what some people were calling painfully slow was my best times. I know that is stupid and I should not worry about it but I did. I have not gone under a 9 minute mile yet but I am sniffing it. :lmao: :shrug:
Everything's relative, prosopis. A lot of my running friends would call my paces painfully slow. Just keep working hard, do your best, and above all else, don't quit.

I have to confess I have not posted because I was feeling bad that what some people were calling painfully slow was my best times. I know that is stupid and I should not worry about it but I did. I have not gone under a 9 minute mile yet but I am sniffing it. :unsure: :confused:
Everything's relative, prosopis. A lot of my running friends would call my paces painfully slow. Just keep working hard, do your best, and above all else, don't quit.
:confused: (gruecd is pretty slow)

Workhorse said:
FWIW, considering you just ran a 1:41 half in November, I bet you could qualify at the 35-39 standard (3:15) in a lot less than 33 months. Just my two cents, but either way, I hope to see you in Boston one of these years. It's an awesome experience.
I dunno. I'm pretty far from running even a 3:30 full marathon right now. We'll see in the fall, I guess.

I have to confess I have not posted because I was feeling bad that what some people were calling painfully slow was my best times. I know that is stupid and I should not worry about it but I did. I have not gone under a 9 minute mile yet but I am sniffing it. :bag: :thumbup:
:confused: (gruecd is pretty slow)
Exactly. :yes:

I have to confess I have not posted because I was feeling bad that what some people were calling painfully slow was my best times. I know that is stupid and I should not worry about it but I did. I have not gone under a 9 minute mile yet but I am sniffing it. :thumbup: :football:
:mellow: (gruecd is pretty slow)
Exactly. :yes:
Wait, I thought the term was pedestrian :grad:

Well, I did not drown. I did 10 laps and was not feeling all that bad. I realized that I have a lot to learn about swimming. I was a little overwhelmed and tried to concetrate on everything. Did not read Sand's post until just now. Up until now, I have no swimming experience other than learning how to swim and playing around at the pool. Always have been interested, but never tried anything serious until now. The only thing that scared me a bit is that I woke up yesterday and my hamstring felt as though it was coming out of my leg. I was able to run, and not feel anything, but it is still a little tight. I will keep at it though and make sure I look at those training videos. I looked at a few, but probably too many as I was trying to figure everything out at once. My biggest problem was I was concentrating on the water strike and breathing then all the sudden I realized I was not moving my legs very much. There seems to be a lot more to it than running. I am up for the challenge though.

---------------

Running wise, I did 7 on Saturday and 14 yesterday. Still seem to be affected by the cold. Some days are better than others. Saturday was at a 8:15 pace which is where I was supposed to be at, but yesterday I was slower and did not have the energy to push harder for me. I feel like I usually start out like this then I get used to the distance and it is not so hard. My body is still getting used to the pounding and running 6 days a week.

My biggest problem was I was concentrating on the water strike and breathing then all the sudden I realized I was not moving my legs very much.
This is a good thing. The triathlon swim, as I have learned it, has a great deal less leg than pool swimming. You feet and legs serve more a rudders than for propulsion. You'll need your legs for the other two legs, saving them on the swim is needed (for most folks). The idea for the swim is to maintain the position of the legs behind the body so they do not create drag. If you ever wear a tri wetsuit, you'll see how the suit puts you in this position. Most of the kick for the tri swim comes from the knee down to help keep you on course.

Users who are viewing this thread