What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (4 Viewers)

Tri-Man: Go to the smaller size. The length for all are most likely very similar. You'll want the extra compression. Also, GREAT to hear that you are getting back at it!!

Sand: AWESOME race!!!! You are killing the swim and bike, and getting much stronger on the run. Just Awesome!

Grue: Great hangover race and week of work! Your LBS should at a minimum change the gears that are grinding. You should only have grinding when crossing as mentioned earlier.

Darrin: Way to HTFU!!

Dexter: sounds like an awesome ride!

BnB: sorry to hear bud.

Registration Confirmation for:

2011 Chevron Houston Marathon

Dear Pigskinliquors:

Congratulations!

You have been selected in the lottery and you are now registered for the 2011 Chevron Houston Marathon.

Your MasterCard card has been charged...
:confused: :shrug: :goodposting: Giddy'up! This unfortunately means that I'll have to train for it as well, but I at least have my ticket to the dance.

I had a good weekend of workouts.

Friday late afternoon swim (200, 300, 1400, 300, 200) = 2,400 yards

Saturday = 26 mile bike ride

Sunday = 7.5 mile run in 90 degrees + high humidity

Last edited by a moderator:
:clap: :pickle: :lmao: Giddy'up! This unfortunately means that I'll have to train for it as well, but I at least have my ticket to the dance.
I'm sorry, but you'll have to post that Mastercard number so we can officially congratulate you for your lottery slot.Dexter - great ride! Sounds like it was a real challenge. I didn't realize it was off-road ...all the more impressive. :lmao: :thumbup: Sand- nice report! You're having a solid race season.

This weekend was the Falmouth Road Race, a 7.1 mile hilly race along the coast in Cape Cod. I've run bits and pieces of the route before, but I've never gotten a number so I've always been in the cheering section for my wife and her running friends. Every year they ask me if I'm going to run it with them, and every year I say maybe, but don't. Well, my wife had a bit of a setback in her running, and decided not to run the hills, so she had to skip the race. But we still went down and barbecued with our friends on the Cape.

As usual, when I got down there, they asked if I was going to run it, and I said, no, I don't have a number. Someone suggested I use my wife's number - the race is capped at 10,000 runners, and they really frown on bandits, so people will sometimes give their number to another runner if they can't make it - but her number was a women's number so it had a big F on the front for female. I thought I was out of the woods, and when they asked me if I was going to run, a chorus of people said, "maybe", and laughed. But then it appears that one of her running friends' boyfriend wasn't able to make it, and she had picked up his number just in case. So over the course of one too many Bud Lights, I apparently somehow agreed to join them in the morning.

Bear in mind that I've been running 5Ks. The last time I ran 7 miles was when I trained for a half marathon almost four years ago. I haven't run more than six miles this summer, and that was just a couple times with my wife, whose idea of a 6 mile run is to run three miles, stop for water and a bathroom break, fix her music, eat some sports beans, then run back at a liesurely pace. I'm really not prepared for this at all. And I wake up the morning of the race, in a one bathroom house full of women, and I can feel a peculiar reaction to Bud Light and barbecued meats forming in my bowel. This is not good. At this point, I really have three choices: I can destroy their bathroom, with no chance that I won't be witnessed, I can go to the race and find a portajohn, or I can bow out of the race. Running the race without going is not going to be an option. I held out for as long as possible, hoping it would turtle, and more and more of the women in the house woke up and started heading to the living room. I checked the bathroom cabinet, and they had Oust, which works pretty well, so I went in there, turned on the fan and opened a window, and pressed lightly on the Oust the whole time I was using the room, imagining the look of pride on my wife's face as I did. The solid/liquid/gas ratio was outstanding for speed, but unfavorable for sound or smell, so even though I tried the fake cough poop, it sounded more like a guy with emphysema alternating shooting a gatling gun and a hose into the water. We had 45 minutes until we needed to leave for the race when I went in, and when I came out, people were already dressed and wearing their shoes, and I've noticed that all of the screen doors and windows are open. I drink some water and eat a bagel, hoping it will settle my stomach, but with 10 minutes to go, it hits me again. And as I realize it, in walks a close friend of my wife, this sweet, kindhearted 63 year old lady and her husband. I have no choice, but this time, I know it will be quick. And quick it was. I actually think I dented the porcelain.

We get to the race, and there's a 30 minute line for the portapotties. And all the women in our group decide to stand in line, almost as if they'd had to go to the bathroom all morning but been afraid to use the one at the house. To their credit, nobody says a word to me about it. Sorry girls, this is what you get for pressuring me into running a race when I'm already half in the bag. I hear a cannon shot off in the distance, which must be the actual race start, but that's irrelevant to me as we head to our respective start lines, which are staggered by skill level. I actually have a fairly low member number - apparently this guy's pretty good - but a race organizer tells me it's fine if I want to run with a lower group. We start at least 20 minutes after the elite runners.

There's a wave of applause rippling through our group as we finally get the go-ahead to start, but it's stop and go traffic as the new runners all bump into each other and cut each other off, and some people start walking less than a quarter mile into the race. They're horrible with it, too - they just stop in the middle of the road, as if the thousand people behind them will just figure out a way around them. Meanwhile, the teenagers are cutting in between one another like motorcycles bypassing rush hour traffic, kicking and shouldering people as they go. I am reminded of my dislike of people.

A mile in, we cross the officialy clock, which says 33 minutes. Someone in our group points out that we're running 33 minute miles. Someone else points out that we're probably more like 9 or 10 minutes since we started late. Anothe mentions that the elite runners have been done for a couple minutes already. Oof.

I see all of the wonderful causes people are running for - everything from Dana Farber Cancer Research, to mental health, or Crohn's disease, or famileis in crisis. And then I see my favorite cause of the day, a thirty something guy with a handwritten T-shirt that says "SUPPORT ALIMONY REFORM". That tells a story.

This race has a huge following in the town, and there are people lining the roads the whole way, some clapping, or playing music, or holding signs. A bunch of people brought cowbells, and some homeowners along the way were holding out hoses for people to run under. I overhear a couple women in white race shirts complaining that one of the guys seemed to be aiming for them. That's wrong. By the time my group is passing, these people have already been outside clapping for ages, and their enthusiasm is definitely coming to an end, so I start yelling words of encouragement to them. Guy with a hose, you're a hero. Good clapping. Way to keep up the encouragement. Just a few thousand more runners. Over time, this turns into things like I love all of you. It's the running I hate. Or, Don't ever start running. This is a terrible hobby. There are a few runners who have been around me the whole race who seem to appreciate it.

A bunch of kids along the edges are high fiving everyone who walks by. One of them, maybe 9 years old, is holding up a sign that I assume was for his sister saying, "Heather has a boyfriend". lol.

I wouldn't say I ran it in record time, or even good time, but I ran it, and I didn't stop to walk except to drink water. I'd hoped to break 80 minutes, which is plenty slow, and I ran it in 79, which isn't bad considering the crowds, the hills, the heat and humidity, the hangover, and the fact I hadn't run that distance in years. When I got back to the house, one of the husbands poured me an orange juice spiked with malibu without a word, while his wife asked me if I was going to run this next year. And as before, a chorus of replies came in, except this time, they all said, no.

Congrats, PSL. I wonder how many people actually applied for the lottery. I'm guessing they just did it this year as a "dry run" for 2012 when they'll actually need it because of the increased demand with the Trials being there.

Still gonna be IRATE if I don't get in....

The solid/liquid/gas ratio was outstanding for speed, but unfavorable for sound or smell, so even though I tried the fake cough poop, it sounded more like a guy with emphysema alternating shooting a gatling gun and a hose into the water. We had 45 minutes until we needed to leave for the race when I went in, and when I came out, people were already dressed and wearing their shoes, and I've noticed that all of the screen doors and windows are open. I drink some water and eat a bagel, hoping it will settle my stomach, but with 10 minutes to go, it hits me again. And as I realize it, in walks a close friend of my wife, this sweet, kindhearted 63 year old lady and her husband. I have no choice, but this time, I know it will be quick. And quick it was. I actually think I dented the porcelain.
You literally had me laughing out loud. :thumbup: :lmao: Congrats on finishing the race and for being a good sport. :goodposting:

...By the time my group is passing, these people have already been outside clapping for ages, and their enthusiasm is definitely coming to an end, so I start yelling words of encouragement to them. Guy with a hose, you're a hero. Good clapping. Way to keep up the encouragement. Just a few thousand more runners. Over time, this turns into things like I love all of you. It's the running I hate. Or, Don't ever start running. This is a terrible hobby. There are a few runners who have been around me the whole race who seem to appreciate it. A bunch of kids along the edges are high fiving everyone who walks by. One of them, maybe 9 years old, is holding up a sign that I assume was for his sister saying, "Heather has a boyfriend". lol.
:lmao: :lmao:

...By the time my group is passing, these people have already been outside clapping for ages, and their enthusiasm is definitely coming to an end, so I start yelling words of encouragement to them. Guy with a hose, you're a hero. Good clapping. Way to keep up the encouragement. Just a few thousand more runners. Over time, this turns into things like I love all of you. It's the running I hate. Or, Don't ever start running. This is a terrible hobby. There are a few runners who have been around me the whole race who seem to appreciate it.

A bunch of kids along the edges are high fiving everyone who walks by. One of them, maybe 9 years old, is holding up a sign that I assume was for his sister saying, "Heather has a boyfriend". lol.
:lmao: :lmao:
:shrug: This was my favorite part. You need to start collecting these for a compilation.

Congrats. Also, You're not coming for me, you've passed me!!!
I certainly haven't hit the BnB and Pigskin level of cycling goodness. I was really hoping to hit 23.53mph just to edge past you, but my legs evidently didn't quite have that. I am only really one year into cycling, so hopefully the growth curve hasn't leveled out yet.Still probably going to lay off the cycling during the winter to concentrate on running - that is certainly what my slowest leg is.

bostonfred -- Nice report, as always.

pigskinliquors -- Congrats on the entry. :thumbup:

sand -- Good race.

BnB -- Any chance this is diet-related somehow? To use myself as an example, I just can't tolerate dairy products once my weekly mileage gets into the 35+ mpw range. Good luck regardless.

Did six miles during the lunch hour at 8:26/mile. This felt really good, probably due in part to the fact that I just had back-to-back SDOs this weekend in part due to the dramatically cooler and less-humid weather of the past few days. This week is a rest week of 28 total miles, which is still more than the normal 25 I would do in the off-season, but it does figure to be a very easy week.

The bad news is that my mp3 player (an old Creative Zen) died last night. Out of nowhere, it started spontaneously turning itself on and off. Reformatting the hard drive and redoing the firmware didn't help at all, so unfortunately it's just shot. Considering that it had an internal hard drive and lasted five years or so, it had a good lifespan. I'll probably replace it with a Sansa Fuze. Apple products are out of the question since they aren't compatible with Rhapsody, and I like the abilty to cheaply upgrade the memory capacity for the Sansas. I can find 32GB cards on Amazon for under $100, and I could probably get by 16GB if I had to, so this should come in for around half the price of an itouch.

gruecd said:
bostonfred said:
Hoist the back wheel up so it's not touching anything. Take a look at the chain going through the derailleur, and spin the crank lightly. Change gears around. Take note of the gear combinations where it looks like it's putting a lot of pressure on the chain by making it go diagonally, and tend to avoid those in the future. If it looks like the chain is going in a perfectly straight line, then it's possible your derailleur needs to be adjusted. Do not attempt this on your own. Bring it to a bike shop.
There's where it is right now. The guys who were working today couldn't get it quite right, but they said that their manager has a lot more experience and that he's working tomorrow, so I left it there for him. Hopefully he can make the necessary tweaks.
Picked up the bike at lunch. Haven't had a chance to ride it myself, but the guy said that he got it to where it only rubs a little bit when it's in the hardest gear, and that's the best he can do. He basically just said that it's one of the limitations of an entry-level type bike. :thumbup:

gruecd said:
bostonfred said:
Hoist the back wheel up so it's not touching anything. Take a look at the chain going through the derailleur, and spin the crank lightly. Change gears around. Take note of the gear combinations where it looks like it's putting a lot of pressure on the chain by making it go diagonally, and tend to avoid those in the future. If it looks like the chain is going in a perfectly straight line, then it's possible your derailleur needs to be adjusted. Do not attempt this on your own. Bring it to a bike shop.
There's where it is right now. The guys who were working today couldn't get it quite right, but they said that their manager has a lot more experience and that he's working tomorrow, so I left it there for him. Hopefully he can make the necessary tweaks.
Picked up the bike at lunch. Haven't had a chance to ride it myself, but the guy said that he got it to where it only rubs a little bit when it's in the hardest gear, and that's the best he can do. He basically just said that it's one of the limitations of an entry-level type bike. :goodposting:
Do the thing I said above. You'll see where the rubbing is happening, and also where it looks like the chain is going diagonal. Just pedal it real slow with your hand and watch the chain go through the derailleur. It's really a good learning experience, and will help you choose gears and may help you from breaking a chain someday. That's a real bummer. Speaking of which, if you're going to pick things to carry with you in a seat pack for a training ride, a chain repair kit is really lightweight and inexpensive and doesn't take any great mechanical ability. While you're looking, the other thing that's really helpful is to figure out what gear ratios actually mean. If you have 52 teeth in the front at 13 teeth in the back, then every time your pedals do one circle, the rear wheel does four. Which means it's going to be hard to push the pedals, but each time you push them around, you're going to go a lot further. If you had, say, a 28 tooth crank in the front and a 28 in the back, that would mean every time you spun the pedals around once, the wheel would go around just once, too. That's about the smallest gear ratio you'll see. So here's another way to look at it - if every time you spin your feet, the wheel goes around once, then when you pedal at 80 RPM, your back wheel is going to spin 80 times per minute. Your back wheel might have a circumference of a little over 2 meters, so you might be going, say, 200 meters per minute, which is about 12 km/hour, which is about 7 mph. If you crank that up to 120 RPM, so your legs are flying, you still would only be going about 10 mph. Which is great when you're going up a steep hill. If, on the other hand, you're spinning your legs at exactly the same speed on the big crank up front and the little gear in the back, so you have a 4 to 1 ratio, and your legs are still going 80 RPM, then you'd be going over 28 MPH, and if you get to the point where you're going 120, you'd be going 40+ MPH. Those numbers aren't entirely accurate, of course, because you have momentum. If you've ever gone down a hill so fast that the pedals didn't feel like they were doing anything, you know that that can happen. But for the most part, your RPMs times your gear ratio times your wheel circumference equals your speed.

BnB -- Any chance this is diet-related somehow? To use myself as an example, I just can't tolerate dairy products once my weekly mileage gets into the 35+ mpw range. Good luck regardless. The bad news is that my mp3 player (an old Creative Zen) died last night. Out of nowhere, it started spontaneously turning itself on and off. Reformatting the hard drive and redoing the firmware didn't help at all, so unfortunately it's just shot. Considering that it had an internal hard drive and lasted five years or so, it had a good lifespan. I'll probably replace it with a Sansa Fuze. Apple products are out of the question since they aren't compatible with Rhapsody, and I like the abilty to cheaply upgrade the memory capacity for the Sansas. I can find 32GB cards on Amazon for under $100, and I could probably get by 16GB if I had to, so this should come in for around half the price of an itouch.
Take a look at the Sony headsets. You have to rotate music around via the computer but it rocks for running. No cords and stays in place. The latest version is fairly water resistant.I'm really hoping it's something simply like that. I first noticed it after splitting wood for three hours two weeks ago. The wood wasn't super dry and some of the pieces were taking 3-4 full shots. I thought I might have pulled an ab muscle or have a hernia. My quads were cooked for a week after this but I've had that happen from yard work before. My throat was sore last week but that is now gone. Lactic acid seems to be hanging around longer than usual. I thought the weight drop of 15 pounds in the last 5 weeks or so might have been a factor so I've been eating a lot more. I was bit by a couple of ticks in the spring so lyme disease could be a small possibility, but the symptoms aren't really consistant with that. I've had bad gas problems for a while so I might very well be a diary issue or the flaming hot mexican foods I'll ofter eat. I'm in between switching from one crappy health insurance policy to another so I'm not in a position for an extravagant goose chase. Right now I really don't have any issues until I start pushing my lactic threshhold.

Good run tonight. Mixed in mile runs with some 500yd intervals. Manged the intervals in 1:35-1:43 (400m equivalent is 1:20-1:26). No idea what that corresponds to. Just wanted to get the legs moving. Ran mile sets in between.The humidity was ridiculous. I was actually leaving footprints on the cement as the water in my shoes squished out on every stride. Unreal.

Dexter said:
...why am I thinking about doing the half iron man at Cedar Point next year? WHY WHY WHY!!! :jawdrop: :wall: :wall:
You're asking a group of crack addicts why you are wanting to go out and score?

Another 4 mile loop. Checked out a clock in the diner on the corner to gauge where I'm at... 34 minutes.

Funny change since my old training days in the mid Aughts. Used to be one tri-bike in 5 in central park... now it's literally every other bike has at least aero-bars, and most are souped up rockets.

eta- this was the first of my comeback runs that felt hard. very humid here, but also didn't sleep well last night. I'm still in PTS mode post-fire- sleep, bowels, everything off.

How long should I wait after doing a longer distance than I'm used to before I run again? I took yesterday off, but I can still feel it pretty good.

Beautiful, cool morning, and I couldn't drag my ### out of bed to run. I'm not happy with myself right now. So now I won't get started with my 11-miler until 7:30-8:00 tonight, and then I've gotta turn around and do another 8 miles early tomorrow morning. That's what I get for sleeping in....

Taking my bike to a different bike shop today. I refuse to believe that it's "normal" or unavoidable for the chain to rub like that when it's in the three hardest gears. I know you're supposed to avoid "cross-chaining," but that's not what I'm doing. Sigh.

Hope you all have a great day!

How long should I wait after doing a longer distance than I'm used to before I run again? I took yesterday off, but I can still feel it pretty good.
If you're just "sore," there's no reason you can't get back out there today for an easy recovery run. Just keep it nice and easy, a pace so relaxed that you'd be embarrassed if anyone saw you running that slow.

If you're just "sore," there's no reason you can't get back out there today for an easy recovery run. Just keep it nice and easy, a pace so relaxed that you'd be embarrassed if anyone saw you running that slow.
That's WAY harder to do than going full out.I'll throw out my old tri-team training schedule- 3 weeks hard (various degrees of workouts, but usually builidng in intensity/distance over the 3 weeks and always with at least one complete rest day), 1 week recovery.That 1 week of recovery had just as many workouts, they were just at minimal effort and always shorter. That was the hardest week to do right. And I always wanted a sign to carry around saying that I was in recovery week... or else I'd be kicking your ###.

BnB -- Any chance this is diet-related somehow? To use myself as an example, I just can't tolerate dairy products once my weekly mileage gets into the 35+ mpw range. Good luck regardless.

The bad news is that my mp3 player (an old Creative Zen) died last night. Out of nowhere, it started spontaneously turning itself on and off. Reformatting the hard drive and redoing the firmware didn't help at all, so unfortunately it's just shot. Considering that it had an internal hard drive and lasted five years or so, it had a good lifespan. I'll probably replace it with a Sansa Fuze. Apple products are out of the question since they aren't compatible with Rhapsody, and I like the abilty to cheaply upgrade the memory capacity for the Sansas. I can find 32GB cards on Amazon for under $100, and I could probably get by 16GB if I had to, so this should come in for around half the price of an itouch.
Take a look at the Sony headsets. You have to rotate music around via the computer but it rocks for running. No cords and stays in place. The latest version is fairly water resistant.
Thanks for mentioning the headbands. I I finally found them at Walmart online for 50 bucks. I also checked amazon but they are 10 dollars more. Both reviews sections had reviews from runners and they both gave it a thumbs up.

gruecd said:
Beautiful, cool morning, and I couldn't drag my ### out of bed to run. I'm not happy with myself right now. So now I won't get started with my 11-miler until 7:30-8:00 tonight, and then I've gotta turn around and do another 8 miles early tomorrow morning. That's what I get for sleeping in....Taking my bike to a different bike shop today. I refuse to believe that it's "normal" or unavoidable for the chain to rub like that when it's in the three hardest gears. I know you're supposed to avoid "cross-chaining," but that's not what I'm doing. Sigh.Hope you all have a great day!
Hey, that must be going around. I did the same thing. Have to do my run tonight after cutting the grass instead of in the nice temps of the morning. I feel like I just fumbled on the one yard line with the cool low humidity week we are having and I am wasting it. The rest is important as well.

El Floppo said:
gruecd said:
bostonfred said:
That's WAY harder to do than going full out.I'll throw out my old tri-team training schedule- 3 weeks hard (various degrees of workouts, but usually builidng in intensity/distance over the 3 weeks and always with at least one complete rest day), 1 week recovery.

That 1 week of recovery had just as many workouts, they were just at minimal effort and always shorter. That was the hardest week to do right. And I always wanted a sign to carry around saying that I was in recovery week... or else I'd be kicking your ###.
:thumbup: My struggles with scaling back is already well documented in here, but it's amazing how much harder it is to keep it easy.I bolded the part that I've been trying to convince myself of every time I have an easy day on the schedule. It's the best way for me to judge if I'm going easy or not.

El Floppo said:
gruecd said:
bostonfred said:
That's WAY harder to do than going full out.I'll throw out my old tri-team training schedule- 3 weeks hard (various degrees of workouts, but usually builidng in intensity/distance over the 3 weeks and always with at least one complete rest day), 1 week recovery.

That 1 week of recovery had just as many workouts, they were just at minimal effort and always shorter. That was the hardest week to do right. And I always wanted a sign to carry around saying that I was in recovery week... or else I'd be kicking your ###.
:) My struggles with scaling back is already well documented in here, but it's amazing how much harder it is to keep it easy.I bolded the part that I've been trying to convince myself of every time I have an easy day on the schedule. It's the best way for me to judge if I'm going easy or not.
To paraphrase Marcellus Wallace, "During the run, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride f'ing with you. F pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps."That thought, along with my fear of getting hurt again, are doing a pretty good job of helping me run my slow runs slow. The only time I run into trouble is when I encounter another runner -- that's when pride's sting starts F'ing with me.

I'll join the: "My ego makes me do stupid things group." Virtually every injury I've ever had was doing something I knew better than to do, but my ego decided to do it anyway. In almost all cases it's from running hard on tired legs.

BF: After an overly intense workout, I like to follow up the next day with a light spin on my bike. It helps to get blood flowing in my legs, without doing any pounding on them.

Darrin: :blackdot: for your review of the headset!

Sand: :lmao: regarding the crack comment. My family physician is has Sports Med as his specialty, and has often told me it's easier to get drug addicts off of drugs than to get a runner to stop running.

My update:

While Grue and PmBrown are slacking, I had a couple good HTFU moments the last couple days. Yesterday I had a meeting run late ('til 4:00), and had to pick up my kids no later than 5:20. I almost went straight to get them, but instead went to the gym for a swim. When I got there the outdoor pool was closed, and I thought about just taking a jacuzzi and going home but quickly went straight to the indoor pool. There, only the diving well was open = 25 meters. I was in the water by 4:20, and knew I had to be out by 4:55 to get my kids in time. I did a 100, then 200 warm-up, and didn't feel all that good. With only 30 minutes left I said F it, and decided to just see how many laps I could get in. It was awesome, as I could see the HUGE timing clock with my first breath of every lap = I knew my time for each lap! I started out doing 1:08's and 1:07's and finished doing a bunch of 1:04's and 1:03's. In all I did 27 laps = 1,350 meters or 1,476.4 yards in 29:39 (pretty close to 1:00 per 50 yards!). This was my best swim of this season and was pretty encouraging, as my pace kept getting quicker, and I felt like I could have kept going for quite awhile.

This morning my alarm went off at 5:50 and I hit snooze as I had a late night (for good reasons!!), and our neighbor's dog woke me up at 3:17 am. Feeling like crap when the alarm went off a second time, I still got up and did a 5 mile hill workout; with the hills spanning miles 2 and 3. With the humidity well over 90% I still ended up running my fastest run on this route of the summer (8:12 overall average), which is still pretty slow, but I'll take it! I must be starting to acclimate a bit, but it sure has taken a loooooong time this summer.

I'll join the: "My ego makes me do stupid things group." Virtually every injury I've ever had was doing something I knew better than to do, but my ego decided to do it anyway. In almost all cases it's from running hard on tired legs. BF: After an overly intense workout, I like to follow up the next day with a light spin on my bike. It helps to get blood flowing in my legs, without doing any pounding on them.
Probably the most useful advice in the thread for me so far. I think I'm skipping my 5k this week and hitting the bike.

Sand: :lmao: regarding the crack comment. My family physician is has Sports Med as his specialty, and has often told me it's easier to get drug addicts off of drugs than to get a runner to stop running.
Article from yesterday's New York Times: When Repeat Injuries Can't Dim an Athlete's Passion-----------

Took my bike to a different shop this morning. The guy made a couple more adjustments (said something about lining something up) and charged me $10. He did say that some noise is common in the hardest gears due to frame flex. Anyway, I got out to the parking lot and decided to try it out. No noise. So it took this guy 10 minutes to fix a problem that the other LBS couldn't fix in two trips. Guess who'll be getting my business going forward.

Article from yesterday's New York Times: When Repeat Injuries Can't Dim an Athlete's Passion-----------

Took my bike to a different shop this morning. The guy made a couple more adjustments (said something about lining something up) and charged me $10. He did say that some noise is common in the hardest gears due to frame flex. Anyway, I got out to the parking lot and decided to try it out. No noise. So it took this guy 10 minutes to fix a problem that the other LBS couldn't fix in two trips. Guess who'll be getting my business going forward.
A big guy like you WILL tear #### up.

Are you saying that I'm going to be strong on the bike, or are you saying that I'm just gonna cause a lot of wear and tear?
Knowing you both will likely happen, but BnB meant that you are going to cause a lot of wear and tear. BF: when/if you go for that ride; keep cadence high by gearing down through the whole ride. Shoot for a cadence of over 95.

Are you saying that I'm going to be strong on the bike, or are you saying that I'm just gonna cause a lot of wear and tear?
Knowing you both will likely happen, but BnB meant that you are going to cause a lot of wear and tear.
Geez, it's not like I weight 800 pounds. I'm 6'4", 205-210.
Yeah...but between you power and the fact that this stuff is designed for non-clydes, stuff happens. The guys in my shop just shake their head at some of the stuff I bring in such as a bent chain ring and snap aero rest screw.Given your prowess on the run, with even a doggie paddle you would dominate the local tri scene with a year on the bike.

Ned, I was thinking more about your comments about how hard it is to hold back on a run. This analogy struck me: Suppose you want to increase the speed on your computer. You don't do that by just using it faster (opening a lot of programs or typing stuff real fast). No, you increase the system's capacity by adding RAM. That's not something you can really see, once it's completed, but behind the scenes you've boosted the system's ability to go faster. Same with running. How to add speed? Not by just running faster all the time. No, you need to increase your system's capacity to process oxygen. And you increase the capacity through the long, slow runs. Over time, those runs will boost your system's ability to go faster and longer. So trust the fact that you're improving your own 'operating system.' :football:

Knowing you both will likely happen, but BnB meant that you are going to cause a lot of wear and tear.
Geez, it's not like I weight 800 pounds. I'm 6'4", 205-210.
Just make sure you inflate the tires to something reasonably high - 120psi or so. That will keep pinch flats at bay.

Given your prowess on the run, with even a doggie paddle you would dominate the local tri scene with a year on the bike.
Ain't that the truth. In my last couple tris I have been the slowest runner at my overall rank. I was 16th of 75 in this last one. All of the 15 in front of me were faster runners. Looking at it the first person slower than me on the run came in 22nd. If I could hold sub-7 for three measly miles I'd be up very close to hitting a podium.

Ned, I was thinking more about your comments about how hard it is to hold back on a run. This analogy struck me: Suppose you want to increase the speed on your computer. You don't do that by just using it faster (opening a lot of programs or typing stuff real fast). No, you increase the system's capacity by adding RAM. That's not something you can really see, once it's completed, but behind the scenes you've boosted the system's ability to go faster. Same with running. How to add speed? Not by just running faster all the time. No, you need to increase your system's capacity to process oxygen. And you increase the capacity through the long, slow runs. Over time, those runs will boost your system's ability to go faster and longer. So trust the fact that you're improving your own 'operating system.' :shrug:
:thumbup: I've been studying up on various sites (just randomly googling stuff) and it's sinking in. I'm grasping the idea that the LSD (I love that acronym) is training my body to process oxygen for a longer period. It's just a matter of me actually applying that logic when it's time to do it. I've been so accustomed to pressing it all the time, that it's almost physically not possible for me to go out at that embarrassing pace. Its akin to trying to break a wild horse. :lol:

I'm a little over a week in to my 'official' training and I'm modifying it already. I've been registered for a fairly large 5K (sponsored by Live Strong - all kinds of free crap) scheduled for tomorrow so I'm resting today in preparation for tomorrow's race. Today's supposed to be a 3 mile run with tomorrow being another 5x400 so I figured combining rest today with a 5K race tomorrow is a fair compromise. :shrug:

I had asked Greg Meyer (former Boston marathon winner) about barefoot running (the start of my ptts for not running the RnR). He kind of snorted and pulled up his nose. Fair to say he's not a fan.I love the logic - proper striding, good leg/knee lift, soft landing, nice spring step. But I'm guessing you really need to commit to this for it to work out. And how can those of us (most of us) who experience cold weather make that commitment? Carefully incorporating some workouts might be helpful to reinforce a good stride, but if not done regularly, it carries some risk (as I learned the hard way!). So benson, if nothing else, work on a good stride. Don't lazily throw the front leg out too far, because then you land on the heel and effectively brake yourself on each stride. As you mention, focus on a bit of forward lean. A nice tip I read some time back was to think of pushing yourself along on a scooter - the foot plants and quickly pushes back, propelling you forward.
I agree with this. If you have a crappy running style, barefoot running isn't going to fix anything. Born to Run pushed barefoot/minimalist footwear in conjunction with a chi or similar running style. Seems like most of the people referenced in the article probably read the book, decided that throwing off their shoes was the solution to all their problems, and ignored the recommendations regarding style because it was hard work. And thus, the injuries.
Hey guys...I appreciate all of your help.

Biked another 30 miles yest afternoon. It's the same 30 mile route.....very big hills not level ground at all. But this is the 5th time on the route and each time gets easier...I time out when I push, etc.

Have only ran with the different stride once.....will prolly do that tonite or tomorrow.

...why am I thinking about doing the half iron man at Cedar Point next year? WHY WHY WHY!!! :thumbdown: :cry: :wall:
because they're freaking awesome?
This! Although, I'd do Tawas instead. Same weekend, less $, great venue AND I'll be there doing something, likely the HIM too.
I was thinking about doing the Tawas short distance this year. The wifes grandparents live in that area so we were going to crash with them for the weekend but as it turns out my nephews birthday is Sunday and the grandparents are coming down for that.

4.5 miles on the treadmill followed by yoga today. Yoga class was a little more intense then usual. It kicked my butt.

Solid run tonight. Was supposed to be 11 with 7 tempo, but I didn't want to do the tempo portion with the relay race coming up this weekend, so I did an 11-mile "fast finish" run instead. Averaged 8:13 pace for the first seven, then went 7:57, 7:45, 7:25 before really dropping the hammer and nailing the last mile in 6:41. Ended up averaging 7:56 for the whole thing.

Back on the road in a little over 7 hours to do another 8 miles. Hope you all had a great night!

Solid run tonight. Was supposed to be 11 with 7 tempo, but I didn't want to do the tempo portion with the relay race coming up this weekend, so I did an 11-mile "fast finish" run instead. Averaged 8:13 pace for the first seven, then went 7:57, 7:45, 7:25 before really dropping the hammer and nailing the last mile in 6:41. Ended up averaging 7:56 for the whole thing.

Back on the road in a little over 7 hours to do another 8 miles. Hope you all had a great night!
I like how you bolded that last one there, in case- you know- we might've missed it.

So I've had some odd pain in my foot for a couple weeks near the heel that's quite uncomfortable in the morning but gets a little better throughout the day. Running hasn't made it any worse, but it's definitely not getting better. As luck would have it, I was in a meeting with about 30 people today, one of whom was our medical director. After a brief exam that involved me being barefoot in a conference room, I've been diagnosed with an Achilles strain. Ice and cutting back on my mileage is the prescription. Overall, it's not that bad.

Hardest ride ever tonight. Average 220watts over 20 miles (and 247watts over the hardest 30 minutes). One 5 mile stretch on slightly uphill roads we were averaging 24.5mph.

And I still got dropped like a hot rock.

(I'm gonna sleep good tonight.)

I like how you bolded that last one there, in case- you know- we might've missed it.
It was a tough mile. Couldn't take that chance. :goodposting:

Dexter said:
...why am I thinking about doing the half iron man at Cedar Point next year? WHY WHY WHY!!! :coffee: :rant: :D
because they're freaking awesome?
This! Although, I'd do Tawas instead. Same weekend, less $, great venue AND I'll be there doing something, likely the HIM too.
I was thinking about doing the Tawas short distance this year. The wifes grandparents live in that area so we were going to crash with them for the weekend but as it turns out my nephews birthday is Sunday and the grandparents are coming down for that.
DO IT. I did the sprint the 1st year & the Oly last year. The swim is the best in the state IMO and the bike course is very good too. I just got an email yesterday on the post race party and it sounds like it is going to be awesome. I'll be dancing with dirt that weekend, but fully intend to return in 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread