What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (3 Viewers)

Got my 5 miler yesterday and lunch and have planned on doing the same today. Treadmill work. I hate it, but it does get the easy miles out that I am looking for now. It is raining buckets here the last two days. I will have to take a canoe out tomorrow for my easy 4 miler.Good luck to all you Chicago guys this weekend. I will be thinking about you guys while I am running around the pumpkin patch chasing after my two rugrats and eating smores.
Am I the only one that finds the treadmill harder than the road?I loathe the treadmill and find myself struggling much more there than pretty much anywhere else.
My primary issue is that I shorten my stride pretty significantly on the treadmill (not sure that it's the same problem for 2Y... :P ). Even when I make a specific effort to stride more normally, as soon as I'm not looking down at my feet my stride shortens back up again. I'd bet my turnover for a 9 minute mile on the treadmill is close to an 8 minute mile outside. Another problem I have is knowing I can step off and be home at any minute. It's always in the back of my mind and makes it harder to push through at the end of runs. Still, sometimes it's nice to run in the basement and have my kids nearby playing (not too near, of course). They seem to dig it when Dad runs where they can see me. Last winter I did some of the running programs on the treadmill that incorporate different paces and inclines - they kicked my ### and were a nice change of pace.

I can't wait to read all the race reports this weekend. Good luck guys. Chicago looks to be perfect, I wish you all the best.

I posted a few weeks ago about running my first 5K and since then I've got bitten by the running bug. I have decided to start working toward running the Little Rock Half-Marathon in March 2010. I need some help with a training schedule, though. I have quite a bit of time (20+ weeks) but currently am only logging about 10 miles per week. I want to start building up my endurance but want to make sure I do it slowly so I don't get injured.

Any thoughts on either of these programs?

Cool Running Half schedule Specifically, what do you think about the pre-training recommendations? I could do that for 6 weeks before starting the actual training program in December.

Hal Higdon Half schedule

Other sources you would recommend? TIA.
FIRST 1/2 Marathon Training Program This is an 18 week program. All paces are based on your 5k time - you can buy the book "Run Less, Run Faster" to get the pace charts (and the rest of the book of course) or you can PM me your 5k time and I can give you your paces.

I'm using the "FIRST to the finish" marathon schedule to prepare for Tucson in December.

I posted a few weeks ago about running my first 5K and since then I've got bitten by the running bug. I have decided to start working toward running the Little Rock Half-Marathon in March 2010. I need some help with a training schedule, though. I have quite a bit of time (20+ weeks) but currently am only logging about 10 miles per week. I want to start building up my endurance but want to make sure I do it slowly so I don't get injured.

Cool Running Half schedule Specifically, what do you think about the pre-training recommendations? I could do that for 6 weeks before starting the actual training program in December.

Hal Higdon Half schedule

I used Hal's novice program for my first half. I loved it. I had no problem on race day. I did bump the two 5 mile runs during the week to 6 miles and ran 4 miles for the other middle of the week run. The extra mid-week miles just gave me more confidence for the long run on the weekend. I am a slow and steady runner and it worked perfect for me. Some of the faster runners on here may have different advice.

Got my 5 miler yesterday and lunch and have planned on doing the same today. Treadmill work. I hate it, but it does get the easy miles out that I am looking for now. It is raining buckets here the last two days. I will have to take a canoe out tomorrow for my easy 4 miler.Good luck to all you Chicago guys this weekend. I will be thinking about you guys while I am running around the pumpkin patch chasing after my two rugrats and eating smores.
Am I the only one that finds the treadmill harder than the road?I loathe the treadmill and find myself struggling much more there than pretty much anywhere else.
My primary issue is that I shorten my stride pretty significantly on the treadmill (not sure that it's the same problem for 2Y... :P ). Even when I make a specific effort to stride more normally, as soon as I'm not looking down at my feet my stride shortens back up again. I'd bet my turnover for a 9 minute mile on the treadmill is close to an 8 minute mile outside. Another problem I have is knowing I can step off and be home at any minute. It's always in the back of my mind and makes it harder to push through at the end of runs. Still, sometimes it's nice to run in the basement and have my kids nearby playing (not too near, of course). They seem to dig it when Dad runs where they can see me. Last winter I did some of the running programs on the treadmill that incorporate different paces and inclines - they kicked my ### and were a nice change of pace.
:pointstothescoreboard: :confused: In all seriousness, please be careful with your little guys around the treadmill. I cannot recall if I mentioned it before, but when our son was really small, he sprinted in on me while running on the treadmill. I pulled the emergency plug, but before it came to a stop it got his little hands pretty good. We got the grilling at the hospital when we had him checked out and I thought they were going to call CPS on us. I swear, I didn't sleep well for like a week after that and it still bothers me from time to time when the thought pops in.

My primary issue is that I shorten my stride pretty significantly on the treadmill (not sure that it's the same problem for 2Y... :clap: ). Even when I make a specific effort to stride more normally, as soon as I'm not looking down at my feet my stride shortens back up again. I'd bet my turnover for a 9 minute mile on the treadmill is close to an 8 minute mile outside. Another problem I have is knowing I can step off and be home at any minute. It's always in the back of my mind and makes it harder to push through at the end of runs. Still, sometimes it's nice to run in the basement and have my kids nearby playing (not too near, of course). They seem to dig it when Dad runs where they can see me. Last winter I did some of the running programs on the treadmill that incorporate different paces and inclines - they kicked my ### and were a nice change of pace.
:pointstothescoreboard: ;) In all seriousness, please be careful with your little guys around the treadmill. I cannot recall if I mentioned it before, but when our son was really small, he sprinted in on me while running on the treadmill. I pulled the emergency plug, but before it came to a stop it got his little hands pretty good. We got the grilling at the hospital when we had him checked out and I thought they were going to call CPS on us. I swear, I didn't sleep well for like a week after that and it still bothers me from time to time when the thought pops in.
No doubt, my friend - no doubt. I just couldn't stop myself. My boys know to stay clear of the treadmill - I'm pretty vocal and it wasn't until recently that I've even let them be anywhere near me on there (I used to set up barriers so they couldn't get close). Probably a good reminder though that I can't be too careful. It folds up and unplugs when I'm done so there's zero chance of them messing with it when I'm not around.

:hey: Newman! Glad to have another Texas runner on here!

I also cannot stand the dreadmill. I only run on it out of total necessity = it has to be the only option. Mrs. Liquors loves it, and runs on our 4-5 days per week regardless of the weather outside :loco:

The Third: I exclusively use Runners World's Smart Coach. It provides a really nice, customized schedule.

My Update:

I FINALLY had a successful long run :clap: It was damn cold (mid 40's) here (Milwaukee), with pretty strong winds and rain = UGH! Yet, for a long run, it was better conditions than I've had in literally 5 months. I set out with the only goals being: 1) get some mileage in and 2) keep my HR down. My body somehow found a way to do both. I ran approximately 21 miles (Garmin had 20.2, but I ran almost a full mile prior to it finding the satellites, as I'm downtown with lots of tall buildings blocking reception). My average HR was only 155. To put it in perspective, for my last 6 mile run in Texas, I had an average HR of 172 and for my last long run (16) my HR was over 160 after two miles.

I ran painstakingly slow, for the first 12, and my HR was still in the low 150's ;) I then took it up a notch, and was still in the low-160's after 17. I then took it up a final notch, and got to mile 20, with my heart doing great (still low 170's!), but my legs were screaming at me. I had hoped to run all the way back to my hotel, but at 20.2, I felt on the border of injury (and already exceeded my expected mileage), and decided to walk the last mile in. It was a painful and freezing cool down, but it was with a smile on my face, as my heat training certainly was preparing me for longer mileage, even if I wasn't able to get it in. I'm now 4 weeks out from my scheduled Ultra, and for the first time in quite awhile I think I'll be able to get through it. Hopefully one more long run next weekend, prior to tapering.

CANNOT wait to hear about the races tomorow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chad you are all clear for a great marathon tomorrow. I had the boards bad run this weekend.

I went out to duplicate last weeks 7 miler, but before leaving I di notice that it was 14 degrees hotter than last Saturday. I don't know if it was the extra heat or I just didn't feel well this morning because at 4 milers I had to walk. My right shoulder was killing me and I was getting nauseous and dizzier than normal. I emded up most;y walking home which was about 2.6 miles so it wasn't a total waste. I think I am going to take tomorrow off to be sure I am not getting sick. According to next weeks forecast it is supposed to be cooler so maybe I will do better.

Chad you are all clear for a great marathon tomorrow. I had the boards bad run this weekend.

I went out to duplicate last weeks 7 miler, but before leaving I di notice that it was 14 degrees hotter than last Saturday. I don't know if it was the extra heat or I just didn't feel well this morning because at 4 milers I had to walk. My right shoulder was killing me and I was getting nauseous and dizzier than normal. I emded up most;y walking home which was about 2.6 miles so it wasn't a total waste. I think I am going to take tomorrow off to be sure I am not getting sick. According to next weeks forecast it is supposed to be cooler so maybe I will do better.
It is considerably hotter than it should be this time of year. I went out at 7:20 this morning and it was 80 degrees - 67 at the same time last weekend. I did 5.4 miles in 57:38. Nowhere near as comfortable as last weekend (but better than 86 on Thursday evening). It better be a little cooler for next Saturday's 10KBest of luck to all those racing this weekend :unsure:

I find the treadmill to be much harder. I use one quite a bit in the summer due to the heat. It is getting cooler here and I am happilly hitting the streets again.

Hal Higdon Half schedule

I used for my 1st 1/2, and continue to refer to the book Marathoning for Mortals. Looking back, it did a lot more for me that just gving me a running schedule. It has a bunch of real life stories about all kinds of runners and the struggles and successes and also have multiple training schedules. Many times in race, good or bad, I'll think of something out of the book. I am an easy access internet kind of guy, but this was a great buy and a great read. PLUS, my wife and I have motivated bunches of other runners and have loaned them them book. It cool to share your running (or swiming or biking, etc bug with others.
:unsure: Great book. I have given up on my 1/2 in December. Mostly due to finances and all the crap with my heart. I did read that book though and I will re read it when I start aiming for a 1/2. I am hoping next year will be the year.

First race report of the weekend!

Since I haven't ever done a standalone 5k before this is going to be a PR no matter what, so it was all good. The weather, for lack of a better term, sucked donkey balls. Drizzly and chilly. There were ~7,500 participants, so it was quite the zoo. The race was for breast cancer, so everything out there was pink, including the big fountain in the middle of the park (pink water in the fountain was cool).

I thought I moved into a good starting spot, but after the gun went off I still spent the first mile weaving and ducking around people. Six year old kids, ladies jogging with umbrellas, etc. - you name it, I passed it. I didn't pay much attention to my pace since I was just looking for clear road to run on. I checked my GPS after about 1.15 miles and saw 7:14. Uh-oh. Way, way too fast. I started to struggle somewhat and really hurt on the way in. I got passed (and chicked) a good bit the second half of the race. I did manage to HTFU at the end and pass some folks up. My splits:

1 mile: 6:50

2 miles: 7:26

3.1 miles: 7:39 pace (8:22 total)

Total run: 22:44 (7:19/mile)

I was really hoping for a 23 minute finish and really wasn't sure I could get it, so I am extremely pleased with this. I certainly could have done better with pacing, but overall this was a great effort for me. After 6 months of running (from scratch), this is a decent time to put up to start with and I look forward to knocking it down at some point in the future.

Now on to the Chicago guys - good luck and hope you like your performance as much as I like mine.

First race report of the weekend!

Since I haven't ever done a standalone 5k before this is going to be a PR no matter what, so it was all good. The weather, for lack of a better term, sucked donkey balls. Drizzly and chilly. There were ~7,500 participants, so it was quite the zoo. The race was for breast cancer, so everything out there was pink, including the big fountain in the middle of the park (pink water in the fountain was cool).

I thought I moved into a good starting spot, but after the gun went off I still spent the first mile weaving and ducking around people. Six year old kids, ladies jogging with umbrellas, etc. - you name it, I passed it. I didn't pay much attention to my pace since I was just looking for clear road to run on. I checked my GPS after about 1.15 miles and saw 7:14. Uh-oh. Way, way too fast. I started to struggle somewhat and really hurt on the way in. I got passed (and chicked) a good bit the second half of the race. I did manage to HTFU at the end and pass some folks up. My splits:

1 mile: 6:50

2 miles: 7:26

3.1 miles: 7:39 pace (8:22 total)

Total run: 22:44 (7:19/mile)

I was really hoping for a 23 minute finish and really wasn't sure I could get it, so I am extremely pleased with this. I certainly could have done better with pacing, but overall this was a great effort for me. After 6 months of running (from scratch), this is a decent time to put up to start with and I look forward to knocking it down at some point in the future.

Now on to the Chicago guys - good luck and hope you like your performance as much as I like mine.
Hell Yeah!!!! Way to Kick off the weekend :lmao: :thumbup: _______________________________________________________

Good week of running only for me. Did 8 miles last Sunday before heading out of town for work all week. The class was held at a 4H Camp in the middle of no where on a lake surrounded by trails. I brough my cold water wetsuit and trail running gear. It hardly stopped raining or got above 50 the whole time so a lake swim was out. But, I did get 2 4 mile muddy trail runs in on Tuesday & Thursday. The trail along the lake was awesome (even in the rain) as color change is in full effect and reflected off the lake. I swa several deer both days (ran in bright orange just to be safe this time of year), grouse & wild turkeys on the 2nd day and lots of other wild life. Capped off the week with a 10-miler today on very tired legs averaging just below 8:40 MM. This sets up nice for next weekend's 1/2 as I can swim on Monday and Wednesday and get an easy 3-miler in on Tuesday.

Live Coverage of the Ironman World Championships (Kona) HERE

They are currently on the bike leg. Couldn't find anything on network TV, the edited "tear-jerker" will be out in a few months I'd guess.

eta, Desiree Ficker was just doing commentary :bs:

'Sup, guys?! Hanging out at my friend's buddy's place in Roscoe Village, so I comandeered his laptop to post a quick update. Got into town yesterday around 10:30. Grabbed a quick lunch, then headed down to the expo, where I was able to meet some of my internet friends from the RWOL forums. Pretty cool. Had dinner at an AWESOME Italian place in Ravenswood called Cara Mio. Highly recommended. Grabbed a beer afterwards and got to bed around 11:30. Headed down to the Lake Shore path for an easy 3+ miles this morning, then grabbed breakfast at the Bongo Room in Wicker Park. Bummed around for a while, then headed back to the house. Just hanging out tonight, then up around 4:30 so we can get to the start by 6:00 or so.

Weather is looking great, training has been awesome, and I'm totally healthy, so no excuses. Time to get this done.

Sand, great job today. Thanks again for all the well wishes, and I hope everybody's having a great weekend!

Live Coverage of the Ironman World Championships (Kona) HERE

They are currently on the bike leg. Couldn't find anything on network TV, the edited "tear-jerker" will be out in a few months I'd guess.

eta, Desiree Ficker was just doing commentary :wub:
Chris Lieto is now on the run with a big lead for the men, Chrissie Wellington has a big lead for the women, but it is shrinking a bit. She was only 12 miles behind Lieto when he hit T2. It looks miserably hot there today, but luckily it is overcast right now. eta, :jawdrop: Ryan Hall is on by phone outlining how Chris Lieto came out and trained with him to improve his run time. Hall is saying Lieto could hang with him for a lot of the shorter (under 20 mile) runs.

in case you have never seen it. Spirit of the marathon is free on hulu.

Spirit of the Marathon
Holy moley! Can I still sign up for Chicago tomorrow?! :rolleyes:
I watched this today myself and it did exactly what I thought it would do. There is no reason that that old guy can run marathons and I can't. My problem is that I give up when it gets harder cause I am a lazy wimp. SO I am going to spend this "winter" getting back into shape, and I will maintain it through next summer. In October next year I will start training for the Disney marathon in January '11. I can't promise to run it but I will give it my best shot. But I will need you guys keeping me going through the summer and the training or there is no way I will make it all the way. I may have to watch Spirit of the Marathon once a week until then to stay motivated. Maybe I can get Steve to plan to run it with me. Anyway Chad, I am looking forward to the email updates tomorrow. Run well all of you doing it. The hopes and dreams of all footballguys are riding on YOUR shoulders.

.Just kidding. Have fun out there.

Yesterday at work I did not feel real great, but hey, I was at work. So I probably should not have run this morning. The combination of whatever I have and the heat really got to me during the run. I am skipping tomorrow and will run again Tuesday evening. Tomorrow I am just going to watch some football and follow Chicago.

The marathon is broadcast on Chicago's NBC station and is supposed to be on the web also.

Check here to see.

Only 25 minutes until the start.

Oops it seems to be web broadcast here at 8am.
By the looks of things, the RESULTS link from the marathon site should update during the race. Anyone have gruecd's BIB # handy so I don't have to look for it? Thanks Darrin for the link. After watching 6+ hours of Kona on my lap top yesterday, whats a few more hours of online viewing?! eta, nevermind about the BIB #, found him by last name (589).

The marathon is broadcast on Chicago's NBC station and is supposed to be on the web also.

Check here to see.

By the looks of things, the RESULTS link from the marathon site should update during the race. Anyone have gruecd's BIB # handy so I don't have to look for it? Thanks Darrin for the link. After watching 6+ hours of Kona on my lap top yesterday, whats a few more hours of online viewing?! eta, nevermind about the BIB #, found him by last name (589).
He must be getting close to the 5K now. Depends on how far back from the line he started I guess.Oh I am a #######. It is still 7 am in Chicago. Still have half an hour until the start.

Check here to see.

cool :lmao: I am heading out the door for my downtown 5k. Wife and kids are going to so I want to make a good show of it. It was fun picking up the packet yesterday. Lots of running people hanging out and talking. I now kind of wish I had signed up for the 10k but I want to have a "good" 5k under my belt first. This is my second race. My first one in April was 45 mins. I expect a fairly big improvement from that. I am hoping I dont geek out and premature runaculte at the beginning of the race. I think that was an issue in my first one.

Watching the broadcast, I didn't know the elites get pacers to draft behind. I am not sure I like the idea, seems like everyone should have to battle the same conditions. Cool, though that Wanjiru requested "WORLD RECORD PACE" :lmao:

Watching the broadcast, I didn't know the elites get pacers to draft behind. I am not sure I like the idea, seems like everyone should have to battle the same conditions. Cool, though that Cheirut requested "WORLD RECORD PACE" :lol:
1st mile at 4:35. That's insane.
:shock: I knew gruecd was fast but that fast? :tfp:
gruecd 22:19 5K. I don't know if that is chip time or time from official start.The elites, 29:12 10k

Watching the broadcast, I didn't know the elites get pacers to draft behind. I am not sure I like the idea, seems like everyone should have to battle the same conditions. Cool, though that Wanjiru requested "WORLD RECORD PACE" :lol:
One of the pace setters lost the pace right after 10k.

Watching the broadcast, I didn't know the elites get pacers to draft behind. I am not sure I like the idea, seems like everyone should have to battle the same conditions. Cool, though that Cheirut requested "WORLD RECORD PACE" :confused:
:shock: I knew gruecd was fast but that fast? :jawdrop:
Our Boy is fast too, just put down a 22:19 5K, all systems go.
That is fast! Damn I am excited for him.

Watching the broadcast, I didn't know the elites get pacers to draft behind. I am not sure I like the idea, seems like everyone should have to battle the same conditions. Cool, though that Cheirut requested "WORLD RECORD PACE" :confused:
I knew gruecd was fast but that fast? :jawdrop:
Its right on a 3:08 finish, so he is clicking things off right on pace :shock:Hey, go get'em today in your race!!!!

:shock: I knew gruecd was fast but that fast? :jawdrop:
Yes, great luck in your race. And have fun.

Chad went thru 10K in 44:07 - web site says estimated finish time is 3:06 - sounds good to me, but I can't remember what Chad's target was?

I braved the 74 degrees along with 100% (!) humidity this morning and did 7.4 miles in 1:20. Looking back at my records, I realize this is my longest run since November 08! Just under 23 miles this week :)

I am steering clear of Darrin this week which means I have the joy of watching the Buccs & Jags (instead of Sunday Ticket) :unsure:

I braved the 74 degrees along with 100% (!) humidity this morning and did 7.4 miles in 1:20. Looking back at my records, I realize this is my longest run since November 08! Just under 23 miles this week :)

I am steering clear of Darrin this week which means I have the joy of watching the Buccs & Jags (instead of Sunday Ticket) :unsure:

Good run. 3 weeks til the half?

WOW, now on track for a 3:05 at the 20K mark. He has sped up each 5K, it'll be intersting to see where he is at at the 1/2.

This sure isn't helping me to get any yardwork done.

I braved the 74 degrees along with 100% (!) humidity this morning and did 7.4 miles in 1:20. Looking back at my records, I realize this is my longest run since November 08! Just under 23 miles this week :)I am steering clear of Darrin this week which means I have the joy of watching the Buccs & Jags (instead of Sunday Ticket) :unsure:
Good run.1:28:03 for chad at 20k. He is doing well so far.

1:32:42 halfway for gruecd.

Projected 3:05:42 finish, let's hope for negative splits. just beacuse.

Wanjiru, leading now, ran a 26 minute 10k when he was a teenager a few years ago. He would have lapped Steve in his last 5k (though Steve is not back into running shape and can do 4 minutes faster). That is some fast running. Of course is is 5'5" and just over 110 pounds according to the announcer.

I braved the 74 degrees along with 100% (!) humidity this morning and did 7.4 miles in 1:20. Looking back at my records, I realize this is my longest run since November 08! Just under 23 miles this week :tfp: I am steering clear of Darrin this week which means I have the joy of watching the Buccs & Jags (instead of Sunday Ticket) :lmao:
Good run. 3 weeks til the half?
Yep, 3 weeks. Expectations are not high simply because I am carrying 20 pounds more weight than last year. However, I have done more miles than last year so perhaps it will even out :)

Users who are viewing this thread