What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

Seems like things never quite went right for you this cycle so the goofball weather is just the cherry on top. Still, you put in the work and you have a huge aerobic base to lean on. Your plan seems reasonable to me. Best of luck to you tomorrow - all of the goons here will be rooting for you from the cyber.
Rooting for sure! I hope it goes well. For those final miles, don't be shy about finding some big dude and shadow running behind him as he blocks some of the wind.

1:19:00 through 11.
In at 1:36:41

Looking through the other finishers, even most of the leaders had pretty big positive splits. Rough conditions for sure.

Last edited:
Holy carp, no one in this thread has a VO2 max under 50? That’s like 95th percentile for 50+ year olds.

For most, time spent running/exercising is also well into the 95th percentile. No coincidence, of course.
I suspect I exercise in that range as well (90+ minutes daily), though it isn’t high intensity cardiovascular training.

I need to get with the program, but running is too unkind on the joints imo. Always tricky threading the needle between athletic performance and injury with age.
On cue, after racing a dude up the last 20 yards of this hike, followed by tennis, climbing, pickleball, and hill walking over the ensuing two days, I’ve injured my hip. I think it’s a hip flexor strain.

On the plus side, my vO2 max increased by 1!

Do you have your goal/plan worked out @xulf ?

No

It will be 62 at the start and 67 at finish. Wind will be 13-15mph (better than expected). Looks like no rain, but overcast.

Wind will be from the south tomorrow, which is abnormal here. Based on the course layout, I'm going to positive split (it's inevitable, so may as well go with it).

First 1.5 miles will be into the wind.
1.5-7 will be with the wind
7-8 crosswind
8-finish right in my face.

Probably will go for ~6:40 for the first 7, then hold on the best I can with <7:00 for the remainder. That should put me in position for 1:30.

Surprisingly, this race doesnt have a 1:30 pacer, or that would have been my plan.

Another sub 1:30 would be great, but if I come up short, I come up short. These conditions aren't ideal and after I got sick early in training, I wasn't expecting a PR or even a 1:30. But, may as well go for it and adapt as needed.

Bib #3770. Gun at 8:00 eastern.

Positive split? Nailed it :coffee:

Positive split? Nailed it :coffee:
I should have mentioned that you shouldn’t copy the “go out fast and blow up” half marathon strategy I’ve used the last two times. Also, if you’re trying to see who can make their HR go the highest in a race, I think I’ve got you there.

Hope you’re no worse for the race wear.

Not much to say.

It ended up being sunny for 10 of the 13 miles.

The "help" I expected from the wind on the first half of the race wasn't as much as I'd hoped.

Around 4.5 miles I knew I was screwed. I felt good, but there wasn't another 8.5 in me and it was just getting hotter. Since the course is essentially an out and back, I thought about walking off then instead of pushing another 3-4 and then possibly fully blowing up (requiring a 6 mile walk of shame to finish or back to the car). Ultimately just kept backing off the pace to finish.

Flew out to CA for a trail race this morning. Wasn't taking it too seriously (really just want the UTMB stones). Only thing to report is that when I was passing everybody at the beginning like a #BMF -- running uphill -- my watch chimes-in and gives me a "-3".

Yeah, **** you, Garmin.

Users who are viewing this thread