What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

@xulf Congrats again! Do you have interest in running/qualifying for Boston? You’re younger than most of us, right?

I'm 42 and turning 43 later this year.

I 100% have interest in getting to Boston. For my age, I have to get under 3:10, plus any buffer.

If I understand the rules right, in 2 years (my age 45 year), that BQ time jumps to 3:20. I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze to get below 3:10 for next year. It may make more sense just to try and repeat this again in 2025.

But, who knows. I'm a bit of a psycho.
This is exactly what I did. I went for it when I was in the 45-49 AG for Boston. Remember, its the age on the day of Boston, so you can get your 45-49 BQ when you are 43 or 44 conceivably depending on timing.

BTW -- amazing race and pace! All that work you did really paid off!

@pbm107 some stiff competition in that race. Figured with that kind if time you would have AG podium. AG 5th is awesome, but damn, there are some fast runners in that race.

@pbm107 some stiff competition in that race. Figured with that kind if time you would have AG podium. AG 5th is awesome, but damn, there are some fast runners in that race.
I think it is the largest 10 miler in the US and 5th is my best ever AG finish. For some reason there was a low turnout this year, typically there are 35,000 participants and I saw a report only 28,000 showed up. Moving up to the 45-49 age group helped, last year I finished 19th in the 40-44, and I would have finished 18th there this year.

I think it is the largest 10 miler in the US and 5th is my best ever AG finish. For some reason there was a low turnout this year, typically there are 35,000 participants and I saw a report only 28,000 showed up. Moving up to the 45-49 age group helped, last year I finished 19th in the 40-44, and I would have finished 18th there this year.
Didn’t realize it had that many runner and was a lottery. Will try to join you and 30,000 others next year.
Great run and Steve rips a PR too!
🍻

5th ...out of 1,202 in the AG!
How the old dudes lookin?
Fast as well! Top three in my AG were sub-7:00/mi pacing. :loco: I might have cracked the top 7 or 8 out of the 250 old farts. And this is with the fast Boston guys still recovering (at my very best I might have been top 40 or so at Boston). Gotta keep working! That said ...

I got the official news recently that I was inexplicably not granted tenure at my university. Very baffling. My teaching and service creds are great …the primary issues relate to research I didn’t do four years ago (even though I’ve now comfortably met the accreditation standard) and questions about my research pipeline (even though I have a paper under review at a top-level journal). But – their loss. They’re losing a 26-year employee with a long business background, lots of teaching experience, and active professional engagement at a national level. And they’ll likely end up replacing me with a young, international, new doctoral student with no work experience ..IF they can attract someone. By all accounts, hiring quality accounting faculty is one of the tougher tasks in higher ed, and my smaller liberal arts university is not attractive to the better candidates. (Add to that the fact that the second of our three accounting faculty, hired a few years ago, hasn’t clicked well (though I’ve done a lot to support her) and she will probably leave after next year as well!) All of this while they work to overhaul the accounting curriculum to infuse more technology and data analytics ..and I’ve essentially been their technology guy. In our lingo – they’re about to bonk.

Long story long, I’m at peace with all of it. After a terminal year next year, which I can cruise through, I’ll likely just retire in summer/fall 2024 ..maybe adjunct a course or two at one of the other nearby universities. All of which means my training will be unhindered by other scheduling. :thumbup:

So simple yet so evil...

I got the official news recently that I was inexplicably not granted tenure at my university. Very baffling. My teaching and service creds are great …the primary issues relate to research I didn’t do four years ago (even though I’ve now comfortably met the accreditation standard) and questions about my research pipeline (even though I have a paper under review at a top-level journal). But – their loss. They’re losing a 26-year employee with a long business background, lots of teaching experience, and active professional engagement at a national level. And they’ll likely end up replacing me with a young, international, new doctoral student with no work experience ..IF they can attract someone. By all accounts, hiring quality accounting faculty is one of the tougher tasks in higher ed, and my smaller liberal arts university is not attractive to the better candidates. (Add to that the fact that the second of our three accounting faculty, hired a few years ago, hasn’t clicked well (though I’ve done a lot to support her) and she will probably leave after next year as well!) All of this while they work to overhaul the accounting curriculum to infuse more technology and data analytics ..and I’ve essentially been their technology guy. In our lingo – they’re about to bonk.

Long story long, I’m at peace with all of it. After a terminal year next year, which I can cruise through, I’ll likely just retire in summer/fall 2024 ..maybe adjunct a course or two at one of the other nearby universities. All of which means my training will be unhindered by other scheduling. :thumbup:
Well, it certainly stings to go out on someone's else terms. But... you've put in tons of good work there that I'm sure will be more recognized and appreciated when you're retired.

Go for a long run, clear your head, do the mental voodoo doll on the tenure board and then, come back and appreciate the opportunity to retire a little earlier and enjoy your family in your new house.

So simple yet so evil...

50 20kg kettle bell swings this morning - that kettle bell is one of my best “investments”. Bought over 12 years ago.

Or Hang out with this Jackwagon

Last edited:

Is your enrollment struggling too? Asking cause I wonder if it's rooted in hastily made short sighted financial decisions. We've been juggling them constantly post-covid. I hope we haven't made stupid decisions like this one and cast aside those that actually should go, but the staff perspective is limited so I have to trust our current Academic team is better than our previous one and they aren't making silly decisions like this one.

So, I've been running low mileage this year (80ish a month), but I've been trying to work on a more powerful stride via having it a point of focus during runs and strength training (mainly hamstring curls and back squats). I had noticed that my cadence was creeping up during races over the years and was worried about developing the old man shuffle.

My stride length over all my runs had dropped from 1.19m in 2016 to 1.15m in 2022. So far this year it is 1.24m. The longer stride has made my training runs quicker, which while not the goal I'm okay with, although I obviously have to be cognizant of any injuries creeping up due to the increased stress. So far so good, though.

On a fun note, I ran two legs for the alumni team for a relay race at my alma mater. Legs are roughly 1/2 mile, and according to moving time on Garmin I managed 2:39 and 2:45 for my two (not as impressive as it sounds, as they were net 75ft downhill, although they were on sidewalks and cobblestones, so there's that). Overall team performance was on the meh side, but it was fun and I pulled my own weight at least.

So, I've been running low mileage this year (80ish a month), but I've been trying to work on a more powerful stride via having it a point of focus during runs and strength training (mainly hamstring curls and back squats). I had noticed that my cadence was creeping up during races over the years and was worried about developing the old man shuffle.

My stride length over all my runs had dropped from 1.19m in 2016 to 1.15m in 2022. So far this year it is 1.24m. The longer stride has made my training runs quicker, which while not the goal I'm okay with, although I obviously have to be cognizant of any injuries creeping up due to the increased stress. So far so good, though.
**love this**

I've dialed things back over the last 6 weeks as track coaching significantly increases time on feet and my back is still clearly nowhere near 100% as I finish many days on ice. That said, I'm looking forward to cutting things loose again starting later this month. Wasn't sure how a 5K Sunday was going to go given the state of my back and after 3 days in bourbon country, but while my lung capacity was a mess it was comforting to run at my old racing cadence and not have a bill to pay after as I was concerned may happen (overall win was nice too - small race).

The itch to run far isn't back and at this point I'm not sure when it will, but I am now excited to restart speed workouts and head back to the hills. While my back is a problem all of the leg work I've done in the gym must be paying off - glad to read the same elsewhere:hifive:

The itch to run far isn't back and at this point I'm not sure when it will
I feel this. It's still a good stress relief and keeps me healthy, but I don't have anything on the race calendar at this point. I almost last minute signed up for the local HM, but then I felt pretty gassed on a long run and decided it wasn't a good idea. I may do a 5K or a local trail run at some point over the summer, but I think this year will largely be strength focused while hopefully at least maintaining my endurance. Then I'll have to figure out whether I'm mentally up for trying to build for a half or a full.

The itch to run far isn't back and at this point I'm not sure when it will
I feel this. It's still a good stress relief and keeps me healthy, but I don't have anything on the race calendar at this point. I almost last minute signed up for the local HM, but then I felt pretty gassed on a long run and decided it wasn't a good idea. I may do a 5K or a local trail run at some point over the summer, but I think this year will largely be strength focused while hopefully at least maintaining my endurance. Then I'll have to figure out whether I'm mentally up for trying to build for a half or a full.
Right there with you. Couldn't tell you how many times I've had run 80 minutes on the calendar over the last several months then changed the 8 to a 6. I decided somewhere on one of my drives last week that I'm capping the schedule at 60 this summer. If I decide on a whim to go further or sign up for a race like Sunday, cool, but I'm gonna stop pretending distance and racing are part of the current year plan. Instead I'm going to devote the little extra time & energy I can find each week to flexibility in hopes it eventually solves my back problem. The important thing I've found out about myself over the last couple of years is that I really don't need that training carrot dangling out in front of me in order to stay active. Physical and mental stress relief has been enough to sustain the habit.

**love this**

I've dialed things back over the last 6 weeks as track coaching significantly increases time on feet and my back is still clearly nowhere near 100% as I finish many days on ice. That said, I'm looking forward to cutting things loose again starting later this month. Wasn't sure how a 5K Sunday was going to go given the state of my back and after 3 days in bourbon country, but while my lung capacity was a mess it was comforting to run at my old racing cadence and not have a bill to pay after as I was concerned may happen (overall win was nice too - small race).

The itch to run far isn't back and at this point I'm not sure when it will, but I am now excited to restart speed workouts and head back to the hills. While my back is a problem all of the leg work I've done in the gym must be paying off - glad to read the same elsewhere:hifive:
Thank you for this.
My mentality has been “if a workout isn’t an hour or more it’s not worth doing” (except for swim and weights). But I’m trying to change that. Seeing you and others embrace shorter distance and the gym helps reinforce that change.
But then, I decided to support my friend’s race (she’s the race director) and passed right over the 5k to the 10k because it was the longest offered; and this is one week after a race I actually care about my time in, the wet dog sprint. So I’m fairly sure I won’t race the 10k but perhaps could have raced the 5k. 🤷
No desire at this point to do any race longer than an Olympic or 10k and I’m not overly motivated for those - but I’m fairly sure I’ll feel the pull to do the oak barrel half again next April.
Balancing health and races still, with the priority being health - while I still feel the pull to race.
First world, healthy adult “problems” for sure, but the mentality is interesting.

Thank you for this.
My mentality has been “if a workout isn’t an hour or more it’s not worth doing”
If it makes you feel any better it took me a while to get back to this point too. I think there is truth to an effective cardio workout must be > a non-arbitrary number of minutes, but whatever that number actually is it is not an hour plus. There are some trade-offs I am still struggling with less mileage (calories!), but I was stressing myself out about not getting hour plus workouts in before track season and it wasn't necessary. If I can find 45 minutes to get to the gym at 11 am then another 40 minutes to get a run in at 3 then that's better than trying to force 60+ minutes of either somewhere in between when the schedule doesn't allow. As long as I prioritize rest in this new reality this is how I have to adapt.

Ugh. Academics and tenure is an interesting journey. Fortunately, you have a stellar career and published research to back you up should you want to pursue other teaching options. Would a non tenure track position at another school be appealing? (Heck, move to Florida! No tenure there!)

Regardless, if you work less and train more, that can’t be an entirely bad thing.

Was wondering if folks in this thread had any experiences with an Apple Watch and Strava and was thinking this thread might be a good place to ask this question. I recently got an Apple Watch and one of the benefits of getting it was not needing to bring me phone on runs and bike rides and just using the Strava app on the watch. I know the area I run and ride in very well and the distances and when I am doing the run itself it looks good but when it uploads to the system I am losing like a half mile and it is messing up my pace. On long bike rides it is less annoying since what is a half mile on a 20 mile ride but I am not much of a runner and they are typical pretty short (rarerly longer than 3 miles) so it really screws up everything.

It would be annoying to have to start bringing my phone again. Anyone have any experience with this.

Last edited:
No Apple Watch here, still using my Suunto Spartan from 2019. It’s not awesome but it works.

Regarding strava - has anyone regretted going back to the free version? I do like the premium features but not sure I’d really miss them.

No Apple Watch here, still using my Suunto Spartan from 2019. It’s not awesome but it works.

Regarding strava - has anyone regretted going back to the free version? I do like the premium features but not sure I’d really miss them.

I am paid subscriber and agree I am not sure I would really miss the premium features. It is also annoying how the recent price increases were basically hidden. I am probably going to keep it paying though as I know the company is struggling and think it is a good product generally.

Was wondering if folks in this thread had any experiences with an Apple Watch and Strava and was thinking this thread might be a good place to ask this question. I recently got an Apple Watch and one of the benefits of getting it was not needing to bring me phone on runs and bike rides and just using the Strava app on the watch. I know the area I run and ride in very well and the distances and when I am doing the run itself it looks good but when it uploads to the system I am losing like a half mile and it is messing up my pace. On long bike rides it is less annoying since what is a half mile on a 20 mile ride but I am not much of a runner and they are typical pretty short (rarerly longer than 3 miles) so it really screws up everything.

It would be annoying to have to start bringing my phone again. Anyone have any experience with this.
Not an Apple Watch user so perhaps ignore me. Can you use the Apple Watch run tracking app and upload that data to strava with better outcomes than running the strava app as the tracker?

I am paid subscriber and agree I am not sure I would really miss the premium features. It is also annoying how the recent price increases were basically hidden. I am probably going to keep it paying though as I know the company is struggling and think it is a good product generally.
That’s a good point and really $80 for the year isn’t horrible. I’m just trying to cut back on subscriptions in general.

That’s a good point and really $80 for the year isn’t horrible. I’m just trying to cut back on subscriptions in general.

Subscription creep is a damn problem.

Users who are viewing this thread