What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

I'll write up more later, but what an absolute privilege it was to make that journey with @SteelCurtain and @Zasada. It was unequivocally the hardest thing (physically) that I've ever done, and I can't think of two better people to have done it with. Hats off to @Zasada for doing so much of the prep work and for making it sooooo much easier for a couple of guys making their maiden journey across the Canyon. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but this guy might be the nicest dude I've ever met.

And to @SteelCurtain - Whereas I didn't feel like putting the mental energy into pacing, you willingly (eagerly?) hopped up front and did what you do. Those 8+ miles we ran between Manzanita and Phantom Ranch were an absolute thing of beauty. Just total flow.

Thanks everyone.

Race went super smoothly.

After the race, was pretty suck balls...wife has had some foot issues that really flared up during the race and she hobbled the last 3 miles in pretty bad pain. This race is also right downtown and there is a Blue Jackets game today (noon start), which caused major havoc trying to leave (roads closed for the race and all the parking garages already full and people u-turning right at the garage exit). It took us 2 hours to get out of the stupid garage.

I will write something up later focusing on the good stuff.

Columbus Marathon (Half)

GOAL: <1:30

I have documented (whined) about the Hanson plan multiple times this training cycle. It's very tough, but it clearly gets results for me if I can withstand the physical and mental demands (and abuse).

Looking back, part of my exhaustion definitely stemmed from the fact that after my April marathon, I took off like 7-10 days and then jumped right into 5K training. And right after the 5K, it was time to train for the half. So, I never really had a break. I also prefer like a 15 week cycle, but with 2 weeks planned in Hawaii, I did 18 weeks knowing I was going to slack on vacation.

Race morning, everything went as planned. Short run right when I got up to clear things out. Weather held up and there was no rain forecasted, though it rained overnight which made the roads slick on crosswalks and other areas that were painted. Got to the race and warmed up. Had to pee and there were major lines. Clock is ticking down and I'm worried I'm not going to get back for the start. I finished with 80 seconds to spare!

I didn't have a great plan for the race itself. I thought about going out at a 7:00 pace for the first couple miles then, locking in at 6:45 and kicking it in if I had the juice. And honestly, I also just wanted this thing to be done with...it was either going to work out or not. I wasn't exactly sure I had the juice for 13 at this pace, but race day is magic, so I didn't fret too much.

I decided to run with the 1:30 pacer and pull away with 2-5 miles left should I feel up to it. My knowledge of pacing is from our GB @SteelCurtain who always gives ~30 second buffer. Apparently that is not the case for everyone...

First couple miles were the standard dodging to get around people and we were slow on pace...OK I get it. Then, slow again on mile 2. He played catchup on 3 and finally settled in on a pretty decent pace. However, I was noticing it was on the upper side of things to hit the 1:30 mark.

At mile 5, the group thinned out. We lost a few who sped things up and others weren't able to keep up the pace. I was feeling good, but used this to tighten up to the group (I was hanging back a tinge to avoid the chaos at the water stations).

Kept going at the slower end of the pace and was just logging miles...enjoying the crowd which is always awesome for this race! Towards the end of the race, there is a pretty big hill that eats people up, even if you're ready for it. The way the event labels the miles, I thought it was 11, but it is actually on mile 12. Knowing where this was, I decided I'd make my pull away right before the hill so I wouldn't get held up by people struggling on it (lots of walkers).

Well mile 11 came and went and no hill. I'm wondering if the route changed...so with 2+ miles left, I took off from the group. About half a mile later the beeotch of the hill appears in all its glory! I attack, people are starting to walk it halfway up and I keep pushing. One guy next to me keeps yelling at himself to KEEP DIGGING and I use it motivation. Lost about 6 seconds of my mile's pace on the hill, but made it through rather unscathed. Pushed this second to last mile and knocked off about 10 seconds from my previous pace and then follow that up with 6:27 for the last full mile and 6:02 for the extra .23 (I would say i suck at tangents, but honestly this race doesnt have a lot of turns).

Finished at 1:29:23 (10/344 for my age group) and a 2:21 PR.

I was actually surprised I didn't have more buffer. I guess this pacer tried to get right at the goal pace...yikes!

I am also certain I could have ran this faster since I never really went into the true pain cave. I just didn't have the motivation to push harder, which is a little disappointing since I always try to squeeze out as much as l can. Realistically, I could have gone another 3-4 miles at this pace.

Anyway, I knocked this out which is great and another big win. But I'm just super worn down physically and more so mentally. I need to take some actual time off from hard core training. However, I'm also stupid and Im looking at Turkey Trots as we speak (gobble gobble).

Last edited:
Columbus Marathon (Half)

I have documented (whined) about the Hanson plan multiple times this training cycle. It's very tough, but it clearly gets results for me if I can withstand the physical and mental demands (and abuse).

Looking back, part of my exhaustion definitely stemmed from the fact that after my April marathon, I took off like 7-10 days and then jumped right into 5K training. And right after the 5K, it was time to train for the half. So, I never really had a break. I also prefer like a 15 week cycle, but with 2 weeks planned in Hawaii, I did 18 weeks knowing I was going to slack on vacation.

Race morning, everything went as planned. Short run right when I got up to clear things out. Weather held up and there was no rain forecasted, though it rained overnight which made the roads slick on crosswalks and other areas that were painted. Got to the race and warmed up. Had to pee and there were major lines. Clock is ticking down and I'm worried I'm not going to get back for the start. I finished with 80 seconds to spare!

I didn't have a great plan for the race itself. I thought about going out at a 7:00 pace for the first couple miles then, locking in at 6:45 and kicking it in if I had the juice. And honestly, I also just wanted this thing to be done with...it was either going to work out or not. I wasn't exactly sure I had the juice for 13 at this pace, but race day is magic, so I didn't fret too much.

I decided to run with the 1:30 pacer and pull away with 2-5 miles left should I feel up to it. My knowledge of pacing is from our GB @SteelCurtain who always gives ~30 second buffer. Apparently that is not the case for everyone...

First couple miles were the standard dodging to get around people and we were slow on pace...OK I get it. Then, slow again on mile 2. He played catchup on 3 and finally settled in on a pretty decent pace. However, I was noticing it was on the upper side of things to hit the 1:30 mark.

At mile 5, the group thinned out. We lost a few who sped things up and others weren't able to keep up the pace. I was feeling good, but used this to tighten up to the group (I was hanging back a tinge to avoid the chaos at the water stations).

Kept going at the slower end of the pace and was just logging miles...enjoying the crowd which is always awesome for this race! Towards the end of the race, there is a pretty big hill that eats people up, even if you're ready for it. The way the event labels the miles, I thought it was 11, but it is actually on mile 12. Knowing where this was, I decided I'd make my pull away right before the hill so I wouldn't get held up by people struggling on it (lots of walkers).

Well mile 11 came and went and no hill. I'm wondering if the route changed...so with 2+ miles left, I took off from the group. About half a mile later the beeotch of the hill appears in all its glory! I attack, people are starting to walk it halfway up and I keep pushing. One guy next to me keeps yelling at himself to KEEP DIGGING and I use it motivation. Lost about 6 seconds of my mile's pace on the hill, but made it through rather unscathed. Pushed this second to last mile and knocked off about 10 seconds from my previous pace and then follow that up with 6:27 for the last full mile and 6:02 for the extra .23 (I would say i suck at tangents, but honestly this race doesnt have a lot of turns).

I was actually surprised I didn't have more buffer. I guess this pacer tried to get right at the goal pace...yikes!

I am also certain I could have ran this faster since I never really went into the true pain cave. I just didn't have the motivation to push harder, which is a little disappointing since I always try to squeeze out as much as l can. Realistically, I could have gone another 3-4 miles at this pace.

Anyway, I knocked this out which is great and another big win. But I'm just super worn down physically and more so mentally. I need to take some actual time off from hard core training. However, I'm also stupid and Im looking at Turkey Trots as we speak (gobble gobble).
Nice! I think there’s a little extra challenge when you’re on pace for such a significant PR …I think the mind anticipates that the pace won’t be sustainable, so the body subconsciously holds back to some degree.

@xulf Congrats again! Could you remind me how old you are and how long you've been running?

I'm 42, turning 43 before the end of the year. Started running in the summer of 2019, so 4+ years.
For what it's worth, you're exactly where I was 10 years ago. Trained for my first race in 2008 at 38. Broke 90 in the half for the first time in 2012 at about age 42.

I don't like to give running advice much these days but one thing I'll say is don't limit yourself. There were a lot of times in the last ten years that I've told myself "that's probably the best (meaning fastest relative to distance) race you'll ever run" but then I'd end up doing better.

Columbus Marathon (Half)

You set a goal, trained hard for it, and then crushed it. As draining as it may have been, that’s a raging success of a training cycle. Good stuff. :towelwave:

Last edited:
Columbus Marathon (Half)

So talented. Awesome job, BMF.

Columbus Marathon (Half)

This is pure money here and why the Hanson plan works. It preps you for that back portion of the race and it looks like you were definitely prepared.

Awesome race and execution of your entire cycle. :headbang:

I don't like to give running advice much these days but one thing I'll say is don't limit yourself.
I agree with this. @xulf 's made a ton of progress in just a few years and I feel that there's a lot more under there if he really wants it.

That said, if he's really feeling burnt out, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking the foot off the pedal for a bit to reset mentally.

Columbus Marathon (Half)

Awesome stuff! You say you didn't have a great plan for yourself, however, it looks like a slower start and then get to speed and away from the pace group craziness early seemed like a PERFECT PLAN!

I will say, my pacing strategy/plan/approach is not universal amongst all pacers. So when I'm shooting for 30 seconds under, that is often the pace director's instructions, but not all races are the same and not all pacers are OCD about this stuff like me.

Hanson's simply works. Its really hard but if you put the time and energy in, I am a huge believer in it paying off results. (I do know not all here agree about Hanson's.)

I'm two weeks out from my half marathon so the training at this point is basically in the bag. Maybe just one more time running fast but not for too long.

I can't complain with where I'm at. Last week I ran 13.1 at about PR pace plus 30 seconds (with a negative split) and I ran 8 at PR pace yesterday. I'm comfortable that I'm in the cardiovascular shape to PR. However, it's just so fatiguing to run that fast for that long. To that end, I'm taking two days off work before the race so I get a total of three days before the race to sleep, relax and try to get my muscles relatively loose. I definitely going to make a PR attempt.
Congrats on the start to your weekend, since you probably have some free time you should update your 5K PR on Strava. It will be good to refresh yourself on how to do it ahead of your half this weekend.

I'm two weeks out from my half marathon so the training at this point is basically in the bag. Maybe just one more time running fast but not for too long.

I can't complain with where I'm at. Last week I ran 13.1 at about PR pace plus 30 seconds (with a negative split) and I ran 8 at PR pace yesterday. I'm comfortable that I'm in the cardiovascular shape to PR. However, it's just so fatiguing to run that fast for that long. To that end, I'm taking two days off work before the race so I get a total of three days before the race to sleep, relax and try to get my muscles relatively loose. I definitely going to make a PR attempt.
Congrats on the start to your weekend, since you probably have some free time you should update your 5K PR on Strava. It will be good to refresh yourself on how to do it ahead of your half this weekend.
You mean next weekend, right @Juxtatarot ?

Thanks for the reminder but I think I'll wait until next Thanksgiving.

I saw a coyote on my run today. It was in the middle of a path in a park and I was heading straight towards it. It was looking the other way and didn't notice me. I clapped a couple times. It turned, saw me approaching, and bolted away. Try doing that with a goose in late April/early May.

@xulf Congrats again! Could you remind me how old you are and how long you've been running?

I'm 42, turning 43 before the end of the year. Started running in the summer of 2019, so 4+ years.
For what it's worth, you're exactly where I was 10 years ago. Trained for my first race in 2008 at 38. Broke 90 in the half for the first time in 2012 at about age 42.

I don't like to give running advice much these days but one thing I'll say is don't limit yourself. There were a lot of times in the last ten years that I've told myself "that's probably the best (meaning fastest relative to distance) race you'll ever run" but then I'd end up doing better.
I was a pretty decent runner in HS and was not interested in serious running after college for this same reason. I started running again when I was ~23 for s's and giggles and never really looked at a watch during those runs. I got to around the same level as HS which was pretty surprising to me.

I saw a coyote on my run today. It was in the middle of a path in a park and I was heading straight towards it. It was looking the other way and didn't notice me. I clapped a couple times. It turned, saw me approaching, and bolted away. Try doing that with a goose in late April/early May.

I had a 30 second stand off with a group of them yesterday. 2 of them refused to leave the path. There was a lot of hissing (from the geese too), and finally they gave me half the path to wind between them. Such bastards.

Thanks for all the support guys. Two major things went wrong today:

-Had a panic attack standing in the chute. Must have been first race nerves or something, I’m not sure. But five minutes before the start, my watch notified me that my HR was over 120. Less than 3 miles in, I was already hitting “anaerobic” levels. Haven’t seen anything like that before.

-More predictably, my IT bands started getting angry around mile 7-8. Had to end with a run/walk mix because every bend of the knee caused stabbing pain. I’m just happy to have finished, because things were looking a bit dicey with all the hills near the end.

Still pleased with the effort even though I know I could’ve done better without the setbacks. Top priority is to get healthy now, then I can work on rebuilding my mileage base and moving onto future races. :)

Last edited:
Looks like you can follow me tomorrow if you'd like: https://register.chronotrack.com/event/tracking/eventID/74662 Bib 1170. Starts at 7:00 Central.

Weather will be great. Low 40s with relatively light wind. I suddenly (since yesterday) have a bit of a cold. Mostly just a sore throat and kind of mild but enough to mess with my mind. I felt fine when running this morning though. I think I recall mostly being OK in such situations once my blood is pumping well. I'm still optimistic overall.

-Had a panic attack standing in the chute. Must have been first race nerves or something, I’m not sure. But five minutes before the start, my watch notified me that my HR was over 120. Less than 3 miles in, I was already hitting “anaerobic” levels. Haven’t seen anything like that before.

-More predictably, my IT bands started getting angry around mile 7-8. Had to end with a run/walk mix because every bend of the knee caused stabbing pain. I’m just happy to have finished, because things were looking a bit dicey with all the hills near the end.

Still pleased with the effort even though I know I could’ve done better without the setbacks. Top priority is to get healthy now, then I can work on rebuilding my mileage base and moving onto future races. :)
Awesome job, especially since you had a few things going against you today:

1. Health less than optimum.

2. Really warm day here in KC. This race is usually in the low 40's at the gun. You got gypped on that.

3. Hilly course. I absolutely hate that course.

And you BMF'd through to a 2:08. That is really solid. AND you learned some things, especially about going into a pain cave. You will be soooooo much better prepared for your next race. If you are looking ahead, I'm running the Rock the Parkway in April 2024. That is a great course to pick up some time, and I could definitely get you through that course if you want some help and someone to race with. My goal will be under two hours once I get rolling one of these days. And hopefully a little faster than that.

Congrats on a good race! :thumbup:

Awesome job, especially since you had a few things going against you today:

1. Health less than optimum.

2. Really warm day here in KC. This race is usually in the low 40's at the gun. You got gypped on that.

3. Hilly course. I absolutely hate that course.

And you BMF'd through to a 2:08. That is really solid. AND you learned some things, especially about going into a pain cave. You will be soooooo much better prepared for your next race. If you are looking ahead, I'm running the Rock the Parkway in April 2024. That is a great course to pick up some time, and I could definitely get you through that course if you want some help and someone to race with. My goal will be under two hours once I get rolling one of these days. And hopefully a little faster than that.

Congrats on a good race! :thumbup:
That sounds great! Definitely looking for a second half that I can attack with healthy legs and a full cycle of training. My last normal, healthy week of training for this race was August 21-27 - I ran 60 total miles since, with no run longer than 6. April should give me lots of time to heal up, slowly add mileage, and get to sub 2 hours or better.

And yeah, that course was not fun at all. The big hill from mile 10-11 was exactly the spot that I became concerned about a DNF. Lots of effort going up, and screaming IT band pain on the way down. My sister trained for this race in a city with absolutely zero hills, so this course was an even nastier surprise for her. Despite a couple puke breaks, she still finished at 2:27 after training for a goal of 2:30. Really gritty performance. :thumbup:

Our hero @Zasada is out doing an ultra today.

It’s a last man standing event. Needs to complete the loop within an hour. Details at top of link. He’s bib #1152….scroll down and find him. He’s 29 miles in thus far. Oh….and temps are in the mid 90’s today.

Last man standing!
Fun! (In our BMF way.) Looks like they'll probably lose several more runners by the start of round 9.

Intriguing ...

It’s a last man standing event. Needs to complete the loop within an hour. Details at top of link. He’s bib #1152….scroll down and find him. He’s 29 miles in thus far. Oh….and temps are in the mid 90’s today.

Last man standing!
Fun! (In our BMF way.) Looks like they'll probably lose several more runners by the start of round 9.

Intriguing ...
@Zasada has been steady out there. 41-48 minutes each loop. I’m guessing he creeps to the low 50’s soon and hopefully he can hold on and soldier through some more.

And this guy did 46 miles in the Grand Canyon a week ago. BMF extraordinaire!

Last man standing!

Intriguing ...
@Zasada has been steady out there. 41-48 minutes each loop. I’m guessing he creeps to the low 50’s soon and hopefully he can hold on and soldier through some more.

How do you scroll to the right to see more recent loops?

Last man standing!

Intriguing ...

How do you scroll to the right to see more recent loops?

Um...use your finger. Unless you're on a flip phone or something :oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread