What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Best of luck @JShare87 in no doubt the most intriguing marathon debut this thread has ever seen...relative unknown pops into thread and declares BQ aspirations, bunch of old farts roll eyes, new guy remains steadfast and pounds out hundreds of solid miles in swampy FL air, feels like crap for a few weeks but rediscovers his mojo, eats a #### load of rice and heads to the start line...I ####### love it!  :thumbup:
:lmao:  Might very well be my favorite post in my favorite thread since joining FBGs.  You got this @JShare87...it's literally all downhill now.

Nigel said:
Best of luck @JShare87 in no doubt the most intriguing marathon debut this thread has ever seen...relative unknown pops into thread and declares BQ aspirations, bunch of old farts roll eyes, new guy remains steadfast and pounds out hundreds of solid miles in swampy FL air, feels like crap for a few weeks but rediscovers his mojo, eats a #### load of rice and heads to the start line...I ####### love it!  :thumbup:
Don't take this the wrong way @JShare87, but if not for Strava I might have thought with the build up to the 3-day rice and water diet that this was all one giant  :fishing:   

As is, I think it's someone who doesn't know what he doesn't know......and I predict that in this case that will be a good thing for this weekend!  You don't know you're not supposed to BQ on your first marathon, so you why not just do it? I'm rooting for you, get some!

Don't take this the wrong way @JShare87, but if not for Strava I might have thought with the build up to the 3-day rice and water diet that this was all one giant  :fishing:   

As is, I think it's someone who doesn't know what he doesn't know......and I predict that in this case that will be a good thing for this weekend!  You don't know you're not supposed to BQ on your first marathon, so you why not just do it? I'm rooting for you, get some!
It sure looks like he picked the best race to try. All downhill, cool temps......sign me up.

First run ever with my 7 year old daughter this morning. She has been searching for a sport that she can get into, and last night we were talking and I was watching her run around the driveway. Noticed that this girl really has a nice stride. Mentioned that to her, so she decided she wanted to run today.

We ended up going 1.25 miles - no stopping for her. Her running is so natural - mid to front striker - nice quiet steps. 14:04 pace.

She rocked it. :headbang:

@JShare87 - your BQ aspirations were well documented and although you didn't achieve the coveted BQ, you are now officially a marathoner.  Congratulations!

I spent 5 days (a couple weeks back) about 30 minutes from @JShare87's house.  Running in the Florida summer is no joke.  I ran at 4:30 am to "beat" the heat.  The heat and humidity was all consuming and after 5 days, I was thrilled to get back up northeast where we have heat but we also get a respite from time to time.

@JShare87 - you should be incredibly proud of what you achieved today.  Most people don't run.  Most runners don't do marathons.  And most marathoners can't run a 3:39 marathon.....let alone in their first one.  The 3:39 time is special to me because I ran my first marathon in 3:39 as well.  I truly hope today won't be your only marathon because you have talent, drive, and commitment.  You don't need to think about where you go from here though...enjoy the moment and the achievement.  You have earned it.  Congratulations.

PS  Did we mention how you will hate stairs this week?

Awesome job @JShare87! Welcome to the club.

That is a GREAT time. Now you know you can run one well - Boston is just a matter of time now. Excellent result.

Marathon- 1 

J. Share- 0

You guys are awesome! Thanks for caring about some random online bro. Just didn't have it today. I could not calm myself down at all. I am really proud of myself. Wanted to quit around the halfway mark but pushed through and ran some pretty quick finishing 4 miles. Full race report coming after I try not to die. 

PS. Duck, you are a legitimate psycho! 100 miles, unreal!

Marathon- 1 

J. Share- 0

You guys are awesome! Thanks for caring about some random online bro. Just didn't have it today. I could not calm myself down at all. I am really proud of myself. Wanted to quit around the halfway mark but pushed through and ran some pretty quick finishing 4 miles. Full race report coming after I try not to die. 

Congrats!  Was thinking about you this morning and was checking text messages at half time.  Great job. 

Marathon- 1 

J. Share- 0

Congrats! You've learned a lot over this training period for sure. There's no reason to make any decisions any time soon but I hope you consider a BQ attempt this winter or in the spring. You have the talent and the dedication. It will also be more familiar for your body the second time and I think you'll respond well to training in more reasonable temperatures.

Jack and Jill 2017 Marathon Race Report

Let me preface this by explaining the course, conditions, and my health. The course is absolutely beautiful. The tunnel at the beginning was dark and the surface was a hard packed dirt. The rest of the course was a gravel trail. There were some big rocks here and there and the bottom of my feet really took a beating. As far as footing, I didn't really feel like it was slick or slowed me down one bit. The weather was perfect.

My body felt amazing. This is the leanest I have ever been in my life and had zero aches or pains anywhere. I did not eat only rice leading up. After I got slammed for that on here, I made sure to eat normally and get over 100 grams over protein and some fats as well. The one issue I did have was anxiety. I have some anxiety issues that I deal with from time to time. They haven't flared up in over a year but about 2 days prior to leaving, I started getting flare-ups (feels like I can't catch my breath). I hate flying and being away from home, so I think the trip and moment really overwhelmed me. Pre-race I started to hyperventilate a bit and just could not calm down.

The race started and my watch immediately starts going whacky. Throwing up crazy pace and heart rate numbers. I credit this to the tunnel and try to slow my pace as my breathing is way way off. People are passing me in the tunnel and I am just trying to get into a rhythm. We exit the tunnel to a spectacular view and my heart rate read 85! I obviously know this is crazy and innacurate, so I try to push the pace a tad and see if it corrects, no rice, I mean dice, no dice. 

So now my watch isn't working, the only thing I can go by is mile markers and elapsed time to see my pace. Physically I am feeling fine except for my breathing, still way off. Mile 5 comes and my friend joins me for the remaining 21 miles (a side stitch). Yes I literally ran with a side stitch in my right side for 21 miles. Mile 7 comes and my HR is still reading like 95 and I am feeling great aside from the side stitch and breathing (plenty of energy, legs feel great). 

So again, I decide to push. This was the first and only stretch where I got into a groove. Miles 7-11 were solid and close to my goal MP. However, it was during this time that my HR corrected itself for a brief moment and is reading 177, that is about 8 beats from my max (It was at this moment he realized, he f##### up). Mile 12 hits and I pick up my next passenger, side stitch number 2 on my left side. When I crossed the halfway mark, I knew I was cooked. 

After the water station at the halfway mark I had a serious inner-battle, quit and know it wasn't your day, or try and suffer through it. I chose the latter because I couldn't live with myself if I would've quit. I went to some awful place during miles 13-20. I imagined Hang10 and Gruced saying, "we told you so." I thought about Juxt and his recent marathon. I thought about Nugget and his PR mile. But honestly, most of all, I thought about what Duck must have went through. I also realized my struggles were do to my inexperience of running. I don't know my body well enough to hold a pace without my watch. I think this is mainly due to my incredibly inconsistent running. Some days I can run at 7:30 pace in my aerobic zone for 13-15 miles and others I can't sniff 7:30 without approaching my LT.

On to miles 20-22. I mentally broke down at this point. Literally just trying to make it to the next aid station. At mile 22, I had nothing left, I mean nothing. The crazy part about all of this was, is I did not break a sweat the entire 1st 22 miles. If I did sweat it was extremely minimal. So I imeediately started to worry that I was going hypothermic. My arms were still freezing cold to the point of being almost numb. So with this is mind and my over-analyzation (not sure if that's even a word) of everything, I stop running! I am a grown man, but at this point in the run I had a mini mental breakdown. To the point where I wanted to cry like a 6 year old because his parents kept feeding him rice. 

I did not cry. And it only lasted about 10 seconds. However I couldn't run anymore and if there was a car or something to take me to the line I probably would've quit. A choice needed to be made, so I said to myself you can either cross the finish line in another hour (about the time it would've taken me to walk there) or you can finish in about 45 minutes by running the last 4.2 miles. I said to myself, go get it. I cranked out 3 miles around what felt like Steve C's VO2 max. Looking back, it was around 9:30 seconds. 

Mile marker 25! So I get to mile marker 25, 1 more mile to go and I say "oh this is cake, you got this." Well, I'm pretty sure the course directors messed up big time. This last 1.2 miles literally felt as long as the first 25. I pushed and pushed and pushed some more until I reached my wife and the finish line. I couldn't even focus or care about what the time said. I found out later (from you guys, I think) it was 3:39 and some change. Now on to the fun part, right? 

Wrong! After crossing the line, I crumbled and immediately sent my wife looking for medical attention, I knew something was t right. I honestly thought I was going to die after I crossed that line. That feeling lasted about 15 minutes. I was shivering and freezing cold. I wrapped myself up in my sweater and laid in the sun for what seemed like an eternity. I drank fluids and finally gathered my bearings. I knew if I didn't get up soon, I'd be stuck there all day. I probably should've stayed in the company of medical attention, but once he left for a minute we got out of there. 

Currently my body is shot. Cramping up a bit and 2 of my toes were bleeding badly. I am peeing (every 10 minutes) and feeling much better. I am on vacation, so I will try and go see the sights. 

My mental state is ok. I am truly proud of the way I handled myself after facing adversity. It wasn't my day, and I knew that about 2 miles into a 26 mile race. I said I wasn't just coming here to finish a marathon, now that I have done it, I couldn't be more happy with that accomplishment. I am a bit disappointed, because I felt great (aside from my breathing and side stitches) and I truly feel I am capable of so much more than what I did today. I've seen it in some runs, but in the end, most of you were right. I was too inexperienced and should not have set my goals that high. The marathon is a different animal and maybe I will tackle it again one day. Thank you all for listening and checking up on me. It was really crazy to open my phone to 138 texts and about 20 mentions in here from you all. Again, I appreciate all of you, and I am looking forward to getting  ack and running in that Florida heat sometime next week. Enjoy the weekend, fellas!

Way to persevere @JShare87! That is marathoning in a nutshell what you went through.

We've all been there, trust me, and the fact you gutted out a 3:39 speaks volumes about you as a runner and speaks to your mental strength. Way to grind it out, and now you know about the first steps of running a marathon. Proud of your progress and your intestinal fortitude.

Oh, and don't run this week. You can take a break now. :)

Oh, and @JShare87, I wonder if some of that anxiety and shortness of breathe may have been altitude. Just a thought.
I thought the same, but I started experiencing it Thursday night before I left. I'm sure the altitude didn't help. Seriously though, Chief, you should run that marathon. I don't have any experiences with courses, but I don't think you can find a better one. I didn't notice the downhill at all. My quads feel ok too, we'll see in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread